U.S. Social Security International Direct Deposit (IDD) Update

Pib

• 2 months later...

About 10 days ago I asked Manila for a update regarding "IDD for Thailand" implementation and a few other things as I have a family member who submitted a SSA-1199-OP107 IDD for Thailand signup form several months ago but Manila placed it in holding status pending SSA final go ahead to fully implement IDD for Thailand.  The signup form was for a Bangkok Bank account....going to the same special Direct Deposit account as the member's current payment via ACH goes to.  The IDD form was really submitted in trying to fix the problem of the member's payment not arriving in ACH "IAT" format but that non-IAT format issue got fixed another way via address update....member's last two payments have been in IAT format.

But back to the IDD thing.  Once the SS payment starts arriving under IDD program, which uses SWIFT, the plan is to get with Bangkok Bank to have the account changed to a regular account which would allow debit card, transfers via ibanking, etc....hopefully just get rid of the current restrictions of a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account.  If they are unwilling to do that then submit another OP107 form switching the payment to another account....a regular account....a joint account....unless they are unwilling to do that also.  It's been pretty much a black hole on specific IDD implementation like which Thai banks will participate (all or just some),  will the participating banks implement any restrictions, etc. 

Based on my last contact with Bangkok Bank regarding how they will treat IDD payments once they start is they "thought" a person could have a regular account but they were still waiting for further guidance/policy from above.   I know they are not happy about losing the Bangkok Bank NY branch flow-thru fees for SS payments made via ACH and of course losing customers to other Thai banks which may be involved with the IDD program....they hope people will stay with the ACH method which locks them into Bangkok Bank since Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with ACH receiving capability.

Anyway, below is a partial quote Manila emailed me in response to my IDD question.  Took about 10 days to get an answer...better belated than never.  The answer said IDD enrollment went operational 3 May and the first IDD payment will occur June 2019.   I'll know if true if my family member's payment o/a 3 June arrives via SWIFT.  And I will not be surprised if the coding changes from "FTT/International Transfer" to "BTN/BahtNet" if, repeat, if the US Treasury routes the IDD SWIFT payment through the Bank of Thailand BAHTNET system which interfaces with the SWIFT system.   Such coding would not be an issue for my Thai family member, but US folks needing FTT/International Transfer coding for immigration extension purposes might not like such coding/description.   Will just have to wait and see what transfer routing and coding is used. 

"...we received the instruction to implement on May 3, hence payment will take effect on June 2019."

• Like 1

3 May was the end of the latest payment cycle for folks with foriegn addresses on file with SSA. You must have a foreign address on file with SSA to enroll in IDD.

By waiting until/after 3 May to begin enrolling people their 3 May payment would not be possibly impacted...possibly messed up...a person not getting paid.

Basically the IDD enrollment begins for the May benefit month which is paid on o/a 3 June.

I read somewhere that BAHTNET coding was the same as an international coding of FTT.

The difference is just how it came in. Hope I'm right.

Also, I will wait to see how other people's experiences are with IDD and make sure all the bugs are worked out and I will wait to find out what banks can be used and what restrictions, if any, will be placed on the account.

Thanks Pib for always keeping us update. Very thoughtful of you!!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, racyrick said:

I read somewhere that BAHTNET coding was the same as an international coding of FTT.

The difference is just how it came in. Hope I'm right.

BAHTNET directly interfaces with SWIFT and even has SWIFT codes.  I have an OFX money transfer account and they use SWIFT to move money into Thailand.  In a couple test transfers to my Bankgok Bank account I used the Bangkok Bank SWIFT code of BKKBTHBK, but OFX used an "intermediary" bank SWIFT code of BOTHTHBP which is a Bank of Thailand BAHTNET SWIFT code (see below). Probably made moving the money into Thailand cheaper for them.   Got that info from the Credit Advice I got from Bangkok Bank.  Then it was relayed over to Bangkok Bank at SWIFT code BKKBTHBK and that's where it picked up the BTN/BAHTNET  coding/description versus the FTT/International Transfer.  When the transfers posted to my account I got the free SMS Remittance text which said OFX had transferred XXXXXX "from abroad" into acct number XXXXXX.  

image.png.fd5017e3a07e605203f42185b3205bf7.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of claiming SSA benefits and downloaded the following form (Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form, Thailand), and it requests 'my Financial Institution' to fill out 'Section 3'.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/SSA-1199-OP107.pdf 

There is no mention of any specific 'Bank' (financial institution), does that mean that I am free to use any account/any bank...?

Does anybody know...?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by tkramer
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, tkramer said:

I am in the process of claiming SSA benefits and downloaded the following form (Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form, Thailand), and it requests 'my Financial Institution' to fill out 'Section 3'.

There is no mention of any specific 'Bank' (financial institution), does that mean that I am free to use any account/any bank...?

Does anybody know...?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, SSA has not given detailed information on what banks you can use and what requirements there will be other than you must have a Thai baht account.

Pib and Ubon Joe keep a constant tab on this, so I am sure they will let us know when things are confirmed.

• Like 2

I finally got an enailed reply from SS in Manila. Completely ignored this questions and just said acct in Thai baht and fill out the form.

I fear that until people actually start to do this we won't know. I assume any bank which accepts SWIFT transfers would work if the bank agrees. As to type of account (other than thai baht) that too would seem to depend on the bank.

Anyone set this up with Kasikorn let me know! I am not in a great rush and more than a little hesitant to take a risk after all it took to finally get my SS coming in. But would like to set it up within a year if possible.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wish I could provide some more info, but I can't.  All I know based is supposedly my family member's IDD form was processed o/a 3 May by Manila (Manila said via email) and the member's 3 Jun payment is suppose to be via IDD vs ACH.  It's being sent to the same Bangkok Bank direct deposit account as we didn't want to change account number just yet due to scant specific info on IDD for Thailand.  Member's 3 Jun payment will confirm whether Manila told the truth or a fib....I've been given misinformation too many time in replies from Manila....not uncommon for them to simply not answer the question(s) you asked or beat around the bush in answering them....if you even get a reply. 

"If/when" the payment starts arriving via IDD (hopefully the 3 Jun payment) me and my family member will go to Bangkok Bank and see about converting the account to a "regular" account which don't have any of the restrictions of the current direct deposit account....try to keep the same account number....just have the account converted to a regular account.  I know for a fact a regular account can be converted to a special direct deposit account, so I'm assuming it can go the other way also.....but TIT. 

A little over a month ago when asking a HQ Bangkok Bank rep if using IDD can the person have a regular account....the answer was "probably...yes...we are still waiting for guidance from above."    Getting specific info on IDD for Thailand has been like pulling hen's teeth.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I completed the address change from Manila and received both a written and e-mail response (took time). I filled out the IDD form using Kasikorn Bank and mailed it on May 16th. No response yet. I've been making monthly wire transfers via BOA since March and will make another after June 3rd if need be. If it shows up in my US account and not my Kasikorn account, I'll know it did or didn't start. 

The Manila agent sent me the IDD Thailand form as an attachment (very nice).

Since my SS exceeds the 65K baht requirement. I expect to use it to extend my retirement extension. 

I think (not 100% sure) for a SSA payment change, like a direct deposit change, to occur for the next payment date (e.g., 3 Jun for people with foreign addresses) the SSA must process/enter the NLT than the 14th of previous month.  It's like a cutoff date for changes impacting the next payment cycle.

So for the June payment to be impacted the change would have had to be processed NLT 14 May.   Once again, I'm not 100% sure about this cutoff date for changes....I read it somewhere over the last year.  Plus other U.S. govt agencies I have dealt with over the years like DFAS, OPM, etc.,  usually had mid month cutoff dates for payments changes in order for the changes to be reflected in the next payment cycle.  The reason for this is the paperwork/electronic instructions initiating your next payment actually begin a couple of weeks before the actual payment occurs.

26 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

The Manila agent sent me the IDD Thailand form as an attachment (very nice).

If they didn't include any instructions like the IDD form can only be used at banks so-and-so that implies to me "any" Thai bank is acceptable. 

7 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I was three pages explaining the process, but the form was only the first page. I can forward the e-mail to you if you want. I tried to cut and paste it here but couldn't figure out how to do it. It's in a pdf file. Send me a private message with e-mail and I'll forward it.

There's no mention of which banks. I went to Kasikorn where I have an account. It is even OK to use a joint account.

That's OK...yes the Thailand IDD form is 3 pages long....1st page is the form with two pages of general instructions....it looks very, very similar to other countries IDD forms.  It can be downloaded from below SSA webpage.

Yeap, the form itself implies any Thai baht account is fine....joint or single owner....and it's probably that simple. 

We have all been use of decades of only having one bank in Thailand, Bangkok Bank, which could receive U.S. govt benefit payments such as social security via the ACH system as Bangkok Bank was the only Thailand bank that had ACH receiving capability.   But with IDD which uses SWIFT instead of ACH and probably does away with the account restrictions which were associated with using ACH with Bangkok Bank it could very well turn out any and all banks in Thailand will be able to receive your SS payment via IDD without any  restrictions....go right into a regular savings account with debit card and ibanking. 

I've pretty much reached the conclusion if that was not going to be the case that Manila would have at least made that clear by now like just for example saying here are the 3 banks in Thailand which we can pay to via IDD...only use one of these three banks.  Yeap, I'm not a betting man but if I was it sure appears any and all Thai banks can receive your SS payment via IDD....just need to get the bank to sign off on the IDD form and get it sent to Manila.

2 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

That's the form they sent. I took it to my Kasikorn Bank Branch and they fill out their part and stamped it. 

I'll let you know if successful. 

I mailed the form May 16th, which might mean a June or July change. Manila is very slow.

did you use a Thai Baht account or can we use a USD account as the transfer currency

6 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

I was three pages explaining the process, but the form was only the first page. I can forward the e-mail to you if you want. I tried to cut and paste it here but couldn't figure out how to do it. It's in a pdf file. Send me a private message with e-mail and I'll forward it.

There's no mention of which banks. I went to Kasikorn where I have an account. It is even OK to use a joint account.

Account has to be in your name if use g for immigration visas extension you would have to transfer it to an account in your name,  but then it wouldn't show up as a foreign transfer,  suggest to leave it in your own name

That's the form they sent. I took it to my Kasikorn Bank Branch and they fill out their part and stamped it. 
I'll let you know if successful. 
I mailed the form May 16th, which might mean a June or July change. Manila is very slow.

Thanks for posting this, I'm eagerly awaiting your outcome.

Can I adk which branch of Kadikorn you use?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/15/2019 at 7:23 PM, Pib said:

Anyway, below is a partial quote Manila emailed me in response to my IDD question.  Took about 10 days to get an answer...better belated than never.  The answer said IDD enrollment went operational 3 May and the first IDD payment will occur June 2019.   I'll know if true if my family member's payment o/a 3 June arrives via SWIFT.  And I will not be surprised if the coding changes from "FTT/International Transfer" to "BTN/BahtNet" if, repeat, if the US Treasury routes the IDD SWIFT payment through the Bank of Thailand BAHTNET system which interfaces with the SWIFT system.   Such coding would not be an issue for my Thai family member, but US folks needing FTT/International Transfer coding for immigration extension purposes might not like such coding/description.   Will just have to wait and see what transfer routing and coding is used. 

"...we received the instruction to implement on May 3, hence payment will take effect on June 2019."

As FYI....the family member's payment today (3 June) did "not" arrive via IDD...still arrived via ACH. 

So, if Manila meant the 3 June payment then they told me a fib.  But maybe they meant for the June benefit payment which would occur 3 July.   Will need to ask Manila....ask them did they mean the 3 Jun payment for the May benefit or 3 Jul payment for the June benefit. 

If they meant 3 Jun then something fell through the cracks in their processing of the IDD form...they will need to relook....see what went astray.   Or like mentioned, maybe they meant for the June benefit month which is paid in early July.  

This may be some good news for folks whose Social Security benefit/pension payment going to Bangkok Bank is not being sent/received in ACH "IAT" format (like one of my family members) which meant beginning 1 Apr 19 any payment/transfer not in IAT format would be rejected by Bangkok Bank as talked about in several other threads over the last 6 to 9 months.   

I just checked the SSA operating instructions (i.e., what they call POMS) website regarding the International Direct Deposit (IDD) for Thailand and as of 23 Jan 19 the regulation has been updated/replaced the original 5 Nov 18 version.  A weblink to the reg is provided below.   The update now says payments must go to Thai baht accounts which is a major change.  

The original 5 Nov 18 version said IDD SS payments sent to Thailand must be into "Foreign Currency accounts" or what Thai banks call a Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) account.   Or said another way US Dollars would be sent to and maintained in a FCD account which means a recipient would need to open a FCD account in order to sign-up for IDD.  Plus FCDs accounts have a different fee schedule, minimum monthly balance required to avoid a monthly account maintenance fee, limitation on which branches can be used to withdraw money, and variety of other possible negatives depending on the individual.

I still haven't seen any guidance from the Manila SSA office or the Baltimore Int'l SSA Office regarding "actual IDD implementation."   I mean guidance announcing IDD for Thailand is now officially open for enrollment...what Thai banks are participating...what restrictions might be on the account...here's the sign-up form to use....here's the specific enrollment instructions...etc.  Hopefully soon.  

Maybe actual implementation has been delayed because SSA determined requiring an FCD account was too problematic during their Thailand IDD testing phase over the last few months and they have now switched back to requiring a Thai baht account, but needed to update the governing operating instruction along with coordinating with the US Treasury.  Who knows.

Time to ping Manila SSA Office (again)...see how long it takes to get a response....ask for their latest IDD guidance...sign-up form...etc.   But I bet we are getting very close to SS IDD going online for Thailand which will be good.

Below is the weblink to the regulation (it's short) and a partial quote/snapshot from it stating IDD payments will be made to Thai baht accounts where before it said Foreign Currency accounts.  

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202402419   

image.png.f35cf9f7e2235a78b9b6138c1ffaa4d1.png

I just started receiving my VA Direct Deposit this way last payday via international direct deposit and I think it’s great. I use SCB and I was paid early on May 31st faster than it used to go into my US bank account. I’m retired military so my military retirement pay still goes to my US bank account which is the way I prefer anyway with my wife’s Social Security so we can save that half of our income. Since I’m rated at 100% disabled my va pension is more than enough to support us both and more than enough to satisfy immigration requirements. I received my first international direct deposit for my va pension on May 31st at 9AM local time into my SCB account and it works really great I love it.

It is great I love how my VA IDD works I have more good news about the VA IDD. Basically that’s approximately 102,000 baht a month going directly into my Thai bank account at SCB and we still save my military retirement pay and my wife’s Social Security income in our bank in the states so it works out well. Like I said I received my first VA IDD on May 31st at 9AM local time which is actually a lot earlier than usual. We were thinking about doing the same thing with my wife’s Social Security but we decided to let that go to our bank in the states with my military retirement pay. It’s a great new system I love it.

15 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

I just started receiving my VA Direct Deposit this way last payday via international direct deposit and I think it’s great. I use SCB and I was paid early on May 31st faster than it used to go into my US bank account. I’m retired military so my military retirement pay still goes to my US bank account which is the way I prefer anyway with my wife’s Social Security so we can save that half of our income. Since I’m rated at 100% disabled my va pension is more than enough to support us both and more than enough to satisfy immigration requirements. I received my first international direct deposit for my va pension on May 31st at 9AM local time into my SCB account and it works really great I love it.

How and where did you register the SCB account?  Manila?  Or. USA.  Online or in person? 

How and where did you register the SCB account?  Manila?  Or. USA.  Online or in person? 

I’m not sure what you mean by “register” the SCB account I didn’t have to all I had to do was just simply fill out the VA IDD form and email it to them as a pdf file and now my VA pension goes to my SCB account as simple as that. I don’t receive Social Security yet my wife does, I have my va pension benefit payments going to SCB and my military retirement pay going to our bank in the states along with my wife’s Social Security.

1 hour ago, Mel52 said:

I’m not sure what you mean by “register” the SCB account I didn’t have to all I had to do was just simply fill out the VA IDD form and email it to them as a pdf file and now my VA pension goes to my SCB account as simple as that. I don’t receive Social Security yet my wife does, I have my va pension benefit payments going to SCB and my military retirement pay going to our bank in the states along with my wife’s Social Security.

Where did you email the VA IDD form?  And where did you get the VA IDD form? 

Where did you email the VA IDD form?  And where did you get the VA IDD form? 

This website link from the embassy will tell you everything you need to know. This is where I got the IDD form:

https://th.usembassy.gov/message-for-u-s-citizens-direct-deposit-of-federal-benefit-payments/

The email address for the VA IDD program is [email protected] just contact them at that email address and ask them for the international direct deposit form and they will send it to you. It’s just a one page form just ask them for the blank form and fill out their form and scan it and then send it back to them and they get it done pretty fast. I would send you the blank form myself but I’m not on my computer at the moment I’m on my smartphone. Just contact them at [email protected]. It’s a really simple process.

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

I mailed my completed SS IDD to Manila May 16th. My May payment still went to my US account as I expected, because Manila seem slow. Hopefully, my July payment will be to my Thai account. I the meantime I am doing Swift transfer monthly from the US so I can show Immigration 12+ months of foreign transfers next April. I  may e-mail Manila mid-June to enquire if I haven't heard. 

I'd change my SS from Bangkok Bank to SCB but am afraid of Manila.  Is there another way?