U.S. Social Security International Direct Deposit (IDD) Update

Pib

His direct deposit was for his VA disability payments. No signature needed on the form for it.
The SSA form is a different in many ways.
I have seen reports of a Bangkok Bank signing the form for a standard saving account.
A good way to get info about would be to contact the main office in Bangkok that handles international transfers. Try this number. 022301323 . The helped me when I was getting mine set via New York a few years ago.

Exactly. So the VA and SSA IDD are different okay I’m glad we’re having my wife’s Social Security go to our bank in the states.

Mel52,

My social security is currently going into my Schwab checking account in the U.S. and there is no problem using the debit card to withdraw the money, just make sure your bank knows you are in Thailand so they don't deny withdrawals.  The no debit card is just a Bangkok Bank requirement here in Thailand.   Also the form I have is one that SS Manila sent me last week. 

Mel52,

My social security is currently going into my Schwab checking account in the U.S. and there is no problem using the debit card to withdraw the money, just make sure your bank knows you are in Thailand so they don't deny withdrawals.  The no debit card is just a Bangkok Bank requirement here in Thailand.   Also the form I have is one that SS Manila sent me last week. 

Ok interesting I guess Social Security has a lot stricter rules than the VA. Probably because there’s a thousand times more people drawing Social Security than VA pensions since every US tax payer is entitled to Social Security at the minimum of 62 years old. For the VA and OPM it’s only retired military as I am and all veterans who draw disability, for OPM it’s only for retired US government employees. So naturally there’s a lot more people on Social Security because VA and OPM are only for military veterans and retired government employees. So I guess naturally the SSA has to be more careful about keeping track of the status of people drawing Social Security because there are so many and it’s not easy to keep track of and there are a lot of us retired military and veterans as well drawing VA disability but obviously not as many as there are drawing Social Security. Plus the VA is usually notified pretty fast after a veteran dies because of funeral services they offer, life insurance, medical appointments or whatever. So I guess the VA isn’t as concerned about keeping in touch with beneficiaries as the SSA is since all of us will someday be eligible for Social Security. Two different bureaucracies I guess.
Mel52,

Oh yeah and thanks our bank in the states knows we live overseas but we don’t spend very much of our money in the states anyway we save that part of our income including my wife’s Social Security next month and I only use my VA pension as income here in Thailand via IDD. I also save my military retirement pay in our bank in the states as well because I’m 21 years retired military and a 100% disabled veteran. My wife’s Social Security starts next month. I’m not old enough for Social Security yet. So yeah our US bank has our foreign address on file as our only address. I receive mail from my bank in the states here in Thailand so they know and we normally don’t spend our money in the US bank but we still like to have easy access to it with our US debit cards. So I have my personal SCB Debit Card in my name only, my wife and I also have a joint Bangkok Bank account debit card, and our debit cards for our joint US bank accounts.

I only use my SCB account for immigration because it’s in my name only and because I have my monthly VA pension payments going into it via IDD. So in my situation the current immigration system is easy and I actually prefer it the way it is now even though I understand that many other people don’t share that opinion some for valid reasons.

After reading some of this here and my personal experience with having problems changing DD with SS I'm leaving it alone and keep it going to my US Bank. But VA was simple and did do a IDD to Bangkok Bank. I'm 100% disabled with the VA and the amount more than enough to meet immigration requirement for retirement extensions. Also easy to change back if needed doing it on-line with VA. Keeping DD for my Army retirement  pay  to my stateside bank because the don't have IDD to Thailand.

7 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Manila was very slow changing my address to Thailand. Now it's slow starting SS IDD. I know it will happen but the wait bugs me. I sent a follow up message to them today and we'll see. That's what I had to do with the address change. I think they are very understaffed and overworked. There telephone service is only twice a week for a couple of hours so I don't want to try. 

I get $2,600+ / month after part B deduction, so it should be good documentation for Immigration.

thanks for the update and please keep us posted as I am preparing to start the process, BTW somebody here advised me to get an address in the US to make filling easier and get answers fast, have you look into that option? I did look at some mail box type services that can forward your mail but it appears they are extremely expensive

After reading some of this here and my personal experience with having problems changing DD with SS I'm leaving it alone and keep it going to my US Bank. But VA was simple and did do a IDD to Bangkok Bank. I'm 100% disabled with the VA and the amount more than enough to meet immigration requirement for retirement extensions. Also easy to change back if needed doing it on-line with VA. Keeping DD for my Army retirement  pay  to my stateside bank because the don't have IDD to Thailand.

I’m in exactly the same situation I’m retired military and a 100% disabled veteran as well except I don’t draw Social Security yet my wife will start next month and we’re doing the same with her Social Security that you are as well as my military retirement pay. And yes the VA was super easy about switching to the IDD program WoW weren’t they? That was a lot easier than I thought. I do the exact same thing I only have my VA pension sent to my Thai bank via IDD, and I’m also receiving 100% disability so we both know how far that goes here in Thailand pretty far. I really love the IDD program it’s so much easier than doing the wire transfers and it’s free and faster you actually get paid on time directly to your Thai bank account. And yes with eBenefits you could very easily change your direct deposit back to a US bank if you wanted to online in only a few minutes.

I went back to Bangkok Bank yesterday intent to go along with the account restrictions and set up IDD.  I had hoped they could just convert my current account so all my transfers before switching to  IDD would be in the same account as those using IDD.  They told me I had to open a new account, so we started to do that.  She took my passport and the IDD form from SS Manila to the back.  She came back with a bunch of paperwork (common for opening a new account), but told me I had to use their Direct Deposit form and not the IDD form.  She said she called headquarters and was told to use their current form.

I did not open an account at that time and will continue to do Transferwise transfers until I can find a bank willing to use and sign the new form.  I will also call the Bangkok Bank headquarters, hoping I can talk to someone who speaks English well.  I also sent an email to SS Manila to ask if the bank signature was really necessary due to the Bank's unwillingness to sign the new IDD form, but don't really expect to get a response

I can definitely say that it’s amazing how much money I’m saving so far using the IDD program. Lots of little things just add up such as no more monthly wire transfer fees, and I VERY RARELY ever use my United States debit card here anymore. So almost no fees for anything including almost no ATM withdrawal fees. This was the first month I used the IDD program through the VA and I can just see a big difference in how much money I’ve spent this month. My next payday should be on July 1st just around the corner and there’s a lot more of my last paycheck left over than usual here with the end of the month coming up. So now I’m saving money not only in the United States but I’m also saving a lot more money here in Thailand. We save my military retirement pay and my wife’s Social Security in our bank in the states and I only use my monthly VA pension payments as income since I’m 100% disabled and my VA pension is almost $3,400 USD a month which now automatically goes to my SCB account via IDD and I’m already seeing how much money it’s saving me. It’s a great program and a lot easier than doing monthly wire transfers and it’s free. My Thai bank charges me about 200 baht to receive my IDD each month I believe but I don’t even notice that that’s still better than paying international wire transfer fees each month and still better than paying the ATM fees and foreign transaction fees. If immigration had not changed the income verification procedures I probably never would have done this or even started using a Thai bank account last year. I opened a joint Bangkok Bank account back in 2015 with my wife but we never used it. I didn’t start using my Thai bank account until November last year when they stopped issuing the income letters at the embassy because I knew what was coming next proof of your funds in a Thai bank account and that’s exactly what happened. Then in January this year I opened my SCB account in my name only when I learned that it probably can’t be a joint bank account when you go to immigration to renew your extension and verify your income at immigration. So I’ve been using SCB ever since January. Then last month I signed up for the IDD program on May 7th and my last monthly VA payment went directly into my SCB account and now I don’t have to do anything except wait for payday as if I were in the states. Other than that just keep an eye on the exchange rate and you’ve got it made.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

I received verification of receipt for SS IDD from Manila today. They said they would be notifying me but expect August for first payment to Thai Bank. I sent request on May 16th. I'll do a BOA transfer for July. 

great news, thanks, it appears they do answer the emails, slightly more than a month later but they answer, I feel better knowing that

Like I said I use the IDD program for my VA pension and it’s working like a charm. This is my second payday I received my direct deposit in my Thai bank account and I was paid this morning July 1st at 8:58AM local time zone. So pretty good.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:34 PM, Pib said:

Contacted Manila about "why didn't the 3 June payment arrive via IDD like you said earlier it would?  Got a reply yesterday from Manila that they are re-inputting the family member's IDD info and update will occur within 5 business days.  Checked the family member's SSA online account and it does show a direct deposit change scheduled for 17 June but it doesn't give full details of the change.

Hopefully the change is correct...I say this as Manila has made typo mistakes before which created payment problems for the family member...and took months and months to get corrected....it shouldn't be this hard with Manila but it can be sometimes.  A lot depends on the Manila rep your SSN is assigned to....and they rotate SSN assignments approx once per year.  

Assuming the change is correct I don't know if 17 June meets whatever cutoff date to ensure the next payment (i.e., 3 July) is made under IDD vs ACH...it may turn out to be 3 Aug before the change actually goes into effect.  Time will tell.  

Finally!!!!...family member's SS payment for 3 July was via IDD vs ACH.  1st redacted image below shows the free SMS Remittance text for member's early June payment was still being made via the ACH system (IAT format) and the July payment where it's now being made via IDD.  No, the July payment does not specifically say IDD anywhere....it's just other factors such as the sender, exchange rate, fees, crossfeed with Manila SSA Office, what is showing on member's SSA online account, etc., that tell me it now being made via IDD.  

Notice for the 3 July IDD payment it's coming from the "Federal Reserve Bank of New York" and the payment arrived in baht; not USD like via ACH.  And you will also see in the ibanking image at the bottom the description is "Bahtnet" instead of "International Transfer" like via ACH.  I expect when updating the passbook a "BTN" code for Bahtnet will be reflected instead of the FTT code for payment via ACH (or SWIFT).   However, the IDD Bahtnet transfer is still reflected as a "foreign transfer" in the SMS....just like for the ACH transfer. 

Keep in mind that Bahtnet directly interfaces with the SWIFT system.  I expect once I get a credit advice for the transfer it will show the Federal Reserve Bank of New York probably used an intermediary Bahtnet SWIFT code....maybe Bank of Thailand's Bahtnet SWIFT code.   I have done a couple of international transfers using the OFX money transfer service (i.e, a service like Transferwise) who uses SWIFT to send  to Thailand and each of the OFX transfers have been routed thru the Bank of Thailand Bahtnet System SWIFT code and ended up with the same Bahtnet coding on my Bangkok Bank account....but it's still considered an international transfer...and Bangkok Bank (or any Thai bank) should indicate such if preparing a monthly income type letter for immigration extension of stay purposes.  For my Thai family member, that is of no concern...the only concern is getting the most baht for the buck with the least account restrictions.

The calculated IDD exchange rate was 30.158 (correct to account for fees) compared to Bangkok Bank 3 July 0830 TT Buying Rate used for SWIFT/ACH transfers of 30.41.  Oh my goodness you are now thinking...the IDD rate is lower than the Thai bank TT Buying Rate. 

Yes, it was for this transfer, but you can not only consider only the exchange rate....the associated intermediary bank and/or receiving bank fees must be cranked in.  That is, consider both exchange rate and any fees.  Plus the IDD exchange was set a few business days ago; not today like for transfer via ACH/SWIFT although the FX market exchange rate seems to have been fairly stable over the last few days....no major swings.

For the IDD payment only a Bt100 Bahtnet receiving fee was applied versus the 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) receiving fee for SWIFT/ACH transfers.  And with the IDD payment to the best of my knowledge until I can get to the bank and get a Credit Advice to confirm there was no intermediary bank fee like the Bangkok Bank New York branch fee of $5 or $10 with ACH transfers/payments such as SS, mil retirement, VA, etc., incur.   So, no intermediary bank fee and only a Bt100 receiving fee. 

And once again, keep in mind IDD exchange rates are supposedly determined a few business days before the actual transfer compared to ACH/SWIFT which are determined date of funds posting to your account.    

After considering exchange rate and fees my family member ended up with Bt52 more baht via the IDD payment in comparison to if it had been via ACH.   Not much additional but since an IDD payment can go to a regular bank account (to any Thai bank that will complete the 1199 IDD form) vs only a special Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account a person can avoid the Direct Deposit account negatives such as not being able to get a debit card, not being able to do online transfers, must show-up in person at a branch to withdraw/transfer funds, can not add another person's name to the account, etc.   The major benefits of payment via IDD are really in being able to do away with the negatives mentioned above for a Bangkok Bank special direct deposit account.   

And before you ask the IDD payment went to the family member's special direct deposit account....our next step is to get that account change to a regular account.  I know for a fact Bangkok Bank can change a regular account to a special direct deposit account keeping the same account number....they should be able to go the other way also.  We had reasons for using the same account number when submitting the IDD form months ago....primarily because Bangkok Bank wouldn't sign off on the form at that time....even Bangkok Bank was still waiting for further guidance from above in how to handle the new IDD for Thailand....hopefully they have some by now.   If Bangkok Bank can't (or won't) keep the same account number then the family member will just switch to a regular account by submitting a new IDD form to Manila to update the account number....maybe even switch to another Thai bank if Bangkok Bank is uncooperative...but I expect they will be cooperative.  

SMS of June and July payments...one via ACH...one via IDD

image.png.e0a2b16baddcbec29ea8c3c81486306f.png

From ibanking...for the 3 July payment....notice it says Bahtnet instead of International Transfer.

image.png.055177511b15a799f1a48920a93e1f1d.png

Nice to hear, but I will still wait to see if any other people get their deposits with no problems and at what banks they were sent to, before I apply for this.

I want to make sure all the bugs are worked out and a regular account is ok at any bank to use.

I assume that the Bahtnet code (BTN) in the bank book will be ok for Immigration purposes.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

• Like 1
Finally!!!!...family member's SS payment for 3 July was via IDD vs ACH.  1st redacted image below shows the free SMS Remittance text for member's early June payment was still being made via the ACH system (IAT format) and the July payment where it's now being made via IDD.  No, the July payment does not specifically say IDD anywhere....it's just other factors such as the sender, exchange rate, fees, crossfeed with Manila SSA Office, what is showing on member's SSA online account, etc., that tell me it now being made via IDD.  

Notice for the 3 July IDD payment it's coming from the "Federal Reserve Bank of New York" and the payment arrived in baht; not USD like via ACH.  And you will also see in the ibanking image at the bottom the description is "Bahtnet" instead of "International Transfer" like via ACH.  I expect when updating the passbook a "BTN" code for Bahtnet will be reflected instead of the FTT code for payment via ACH (or SWIFT).   However, the IDD Bahtnet transfer is still reflected as a "foreign transfer" in the SMS....just like for the ACH transfer. 

Keep in mind that Bahtnet directly interfaces with the SWIFT system.  I expect once I get a credit advice for the transfer it will show the Federal Reserve Bank of New York probably used an intermediary Bahtnet SWIFT code....maybe Bank of Thailand's Bahtnet SWIFT code.   I have done a couple of international transfers using the OFX money transfer service (i.e, a service like Transferwise) who uses SWIFT to send  to Thailand and each of the OFX transfers have been routed thru the Bank of Thailand Bahtnet System SWIFT code and ended up with the same Bahtnet coding on my Bangkok Bank account....but it's still considered an international transfer...and Bangkok Bank (or any Thai bank) should indicate such if preparing a monthly income type letter for immigration extension of stay purposes.  For my Thai family member, that is of no concern...the only concern is getting the most baht for the buck with the least account restrictions.

The calculated IDD exchange rate was 30.158 (correct to account for fees) compared to Bangkok Bank 3 July 0830 TT Buying Rate used for SWIFT/ACH transfers of 30.41.  Oh my goodness you are now thinking...the IDD rate is lower than the Thai bank TT Buying Rate. 

Yes, it was for this transfer, but you can not only consider only the exchange rate....the associated intermediary bank and/or receiving bank fees must be cranked in.  That is, consider both exchange rate and any fees.  Plus the IDD exchange was set a few business days ago; not today like for transfer via ACH/SWIFT although the FX market exchange rate seems to have been fairly stable over the last few days....no major swings.

For the IDD payment only a Bt100 Bahtnet receiving fee was applied versus the 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) receiving fee for SWIFT/ACH transfers.  And with the IDD payment to the best of my knowledge until I can get to the bank and get a Credit Advice to confirm there was no intermediary bank fee like the Bangkok Bank New York branch fee of $5 or $10 with ACH transfers/payments such as SS, mil retirement, VA, etc., incur.   So, no intermediary bank fee and only a Bt100 receiving fee. 

And once again, keep in mind IDD exchange rates are supposedly determined a few business days before the actual transfer compared to ACH/SWIFT which are determined date of funds posting to your account.    

After considering exchange rate and fees my family member ended up with Bt52 more baht via the IDD payment in comparison to if it had been via ACH.   Not much additional but since an IDD payment can go to a regular bank account (to any Thai bank that will complete the 1199 IDD form) vs only a special Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account a person can avoid the Direct Deposit account negatives such as not being able to get a debit card, not being able to do online transfers, must show-up in person at a branch to withdraw/transfer funds, can not add another person's name to the account, etc.   The major benefits of payment via IDD are really in being able to do away with the negatives mentioned above for a Bangkok Bank special direct deposit account.   

And before you ask the IDD payment went to the family member's special direct deposit account....our next step is to get that account change to a regular account.  I know for a fact Bangkok Bank can change a regular account to a special direct deposit account keeping the same account number....they should be able to go the other way also.  We had reasons for using the same account number when submitting the IDD form months ago....primarily because Bangkok Bank wouldn't sign off on the form at that time....even Bangkok Bank was still waiting for further guidance from above in how to handle the new IDD for Thailand....hopefully they have some by now.   If Bangkok Bank can't (or won't) keep the same account number then the family member will just switch to a regular account by submitting a new IDD form to Manila to update the account number....maybe even switch to another Thai bank if Bangkok Bank is uncooperative...but I expect they will be cooperative.  

SMS of June and July payments...one via ACH...one via IDD

image.png.e0a2b16baddcbec29ea8c3c81486306f.png&key=83ccdef6235079f67eb74acaca2a5cb5bfb0f22129aa125064165d5c362c07a7

From ibanking...for the 3 July payment....notice it says Bahtnet instead of International Transfer.

image.png.055177511b15a799f1a48920a93e1f1d.png&key=e3075e6d673e1acbaaccca796d3fcaf7af000aeb733d61dbc1551bc9cae5e64b

Glad to hear it finally worked out man. I gotta check on my wife’s social security as well her’s is just gonna go into our US bank and we’re gonna just save it with my military retirement pay which also goes to our US bank. I only have my VA pension sent to SCB via IDD because I’m rated 100% disabled so that’s more than enough alone to support us both and to satisfy immigration financial retirements for my annual extensions every year. My wife’s first payment is supposed to be today I’ll have to check the balance in our US bank but Manila did inform me that her first Social Security payment might be a little late because it takes 3 to 4 months to process and they didn’t send it to the Baltimore Office till mid April to be processed so she will get paid her first payment sometime this month or in August at the latest, or possibly today I haven’t checked the bank yet in the states but her retirement Social Security has already been approved now we’re just waiting for her first payment. Even if her first Social Security payment is late oh well she’ll get retroactive back pay.

I feel your pain though because I know that Manila Social Security Office is just a joy to deal with because I helped my wife get her Social Security set up through Manila and you really gotta stay on them if you want to get anything done at all.

I’m glad we’re just having my wife’s Social Security Direct Deposited into our US bank only because I don’t want to have to ask Manila to do anything else lol. We’re saving my wife’s money anyway there’s no reason to spend it because my pension is plenty plus it’s income that we’re not used to receiving so we’d be dumb not to just save that money.

On the other hand it was extremely easy for me to set up my IDD through the VA. I’ve never had a problem with the VA before they’ve always been good to me I don’t know about their hospitals because I’ve only ever used US military hospitals since I’m 21 years retired and private hospitals and private hospitals in Thailand so I can’t speak for VA hospitals but compensation and pension wise they’ve been more than fair to me. But I sincerely do have multiple serious service connected disabilities. For one thing I have a lot of metal holding my back together and I’m absolutely blessed that I sustained no spinal cord damage and I’m absolutely blessed not to be confined to a wheelchair or worse. I can actually still walk ok, I’ll never be a runner ever again as I used to be extremely but I’m still very lucky overall. I still have both legs and arms and I’m still alive and retired earlier than I ever expected. So quality of life is still pretty damn good.

Anyway glad to hear it worked out and it sure does save a lot of money in fees you’re right about that I noticed that pretty fast last month when I first started using the IDD program.

Also my VA IDD also says Federal Reserve Bank of New York on my credit advice and below that it specifically says Department of Veterans Affairs. Sounds like you’re just as happy with it as I am. I got pretty excited about it as well when mine first started. I’ve been using IDD for my last two months paydays now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mel52 said:

Also IDD also says Federal Reserve Bank of New York on my credit advice and below that it specifically says Department of Veterans Affairs. Sounds like you’re just as happy with it as I am. I got pretty excited about it as well when mine first started. I’ve been using IDD for my last two months paydays now.

You bank with SCB and I don't know what a SCB credit advice looks like but does the SCB credit advice show/indicate anywhere on it that there was an intermediary fee anywhere.   Until I get a chance to go get a credit advice on this IDD transfer I can't confirm although I expect there was none....but I want to be 100% sure.

Like somewhere on your credit advice it would show X-amount being initially sent but "before", repeat, before those funds were posted to your receiving bank that a fee might have been sliced off along the way.  And I'm not talking about the receiving bank fee of one or two hundred baht....I'm talking about some fee that was sliced off "between" the sender and receiver. 

For example, for those folks who used ACH to Bangkok Bank the Bangkok Bank "New York" fee is shown on the credit advice along with the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank receiving fee of at least Bt200.  Plus on the free SMS when the funds post a person notices either $5 or $10 less arrived the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank inbox so to speak since the NY branch sliced off that $5 or $10 and then sent along the remaining. 

I know on a Bangkok Bank credit advice its easy to see "any" fees sliced off, whether intermediary or receiving bank.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:29 PM, FredGallaher said:

I received verification of receipt for SS IDD from Manila today. They said they would be notifying me but expect August for first payment to Thai Bank. I sent request on May 16th. I'll do a BOA transfer for July. 

Assuming Manila actually inputs the IDD change before mid July your August payment should be via IDD.  I say this because on 15 June Manila notified my family member via email they had "reinput" the member's IDD form which had been provided months earlier and supposedly input already (but really hadn't)...the email also said to expect to see the change within a few business days in the member's online SSA account.   

And sure enough a change did appear.  But the change did not reflect any bank name in the Direct Deposit area on in the online account instead it was just blank...and still blank today.  Before when being sent via ACH the bank name did appear.  I expect this is due to the SSA online account being able to reflect bank names when an ACH routing number is used, but not when a SWIFT code for an foreign bank is used.  Now if a foreign bank name is "suppose" to be reflected then I guess Manila messed up that part....but it didn't affect the payment coming thru.

Anyway, this mid June IDD change resulted in the member's 3 July payment arriving via IDD.

Edit: oh yea, almost forget.  Just this morning the family member got a snail mail from SSA Baltimore saying on or about 18 June a direct deposit change had been made....the letter was dated 25 June...rec'd today/4 Jul...pretty fast for regular mail from Baltimore to Bangkok.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
You bank with SCB and I don't know what a SCB credit advice looks like but does the SCB credit advice show/indicate anywhere on it that there was an intermediary fee anywhere.   Until I get a chance to go get a credit advice on this IDD transfer I can't confirm although I expect there was none....but I want to be 100% sure.

Like somewhere on your credit advice it would show X-amount being initially sent but "before", repeat, before those funds were posted to your receiving bank that a fee might have been sliced off along the way.  And I'm not talking about the receiving bank fee of one or two hundred baht....I'm talking about some fee that was sliced off "between" the sender and receiver. 

For example, for those folks who used ACH to Bangkok Bank the Bangkok Bank "New York" fee is shown on the credit advice along with the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank receiving fee of at least Bt200.  Plus on the free SMS when the funds post a person notices either $5 or $10 less arrived the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank inbox so to speak since the NY branch sliced off that $5 or $10 and then sent along the remaining. 

I know on a Bangkok Bank credit advice its easy to see "any" fees sliced off, whether intermediary or receiving bank.

I have an account at both Bangkok Bank and SCB and the credit advice at both banks are pretty much the same except at SCB they call it the “Advice for Customer”. Other than that it’s all the same information. I don’t actively use my Bangkok Bank account anymore because it’s a joint account with my wife. My SCB account is in my name only which is what I believe immigration requires so I’m actively using my SCB account for my IDD, I have been since January. But the credit advice for both banks are pretty much the same depending on how you get your money in your Thai bank account.

And yes SCB credit advices do show the receiving fee which last time I checked was 100 baht for one thing and 99 baht for something else for a total of 199 baht. Although I didn’t look at the fee amount for this month I believe it was the same when I pulled my last monthly credit advice on July 2nd but I don’t recall. I usually don’t pay much attention to the receiving fee because it’s so low and I’m having approximately 100,000 baht a month Direct Deposited every month into my SCB account depending on that days exchange rate obviously. I’m not sure if Bangkok Bank is exactly like SCB but if it is you’ll still have a very small receiving fee but at least there are no more wire transfer fees, and no calling the bank to manually transfer the money every month, and no more ATM fees, and no more foreign transaction fees. The IDD program is totally free and you get paid on time at least with the VA you do.

4 hours ago, Mel52 said:

You’ll see just pull your credit advice at your local branch

Yes....I know all about Credit Advices...I've got quite a few at Bangkok Bank.  But since Credit Advices vary somewhat from bank to bank I wanted to know if your SCB Credit Advice showed any fees other than the receiving fee.....any upstream fees before the funds hit your SCB account.

Yes....I know all about Credit Advices...I've got quite a few at Bangkok Bank.  But since Credit Advices vary somewhat from bank to bank I wanted to know if your SCB Credit Advice showed any fees other than the receiving fee.....any upstream fees before the funds hit your SCB account.

Nope just the receiving fee as far as I know but I’d have to read that part a little more carefully to be sure because the fee is so small I usually never bother to look at it.

Pib here are the only two fees I ever see on my credit advices from SCB. Obviously I don’t want to show the whole page too much personal information:

IMG_0267.PNGIMG_0269.PNG

I expect your total fees of Bt196 consisted of the basic Bahtnet Bt100 receiving and then an additional Bahtnet transfer clearing zone fee of Bt96 since I think you live outside the Metro Bangkok area.   If living inside the Metro Bangkok area there is no Bahtnet clearing zone fee as the transfer was received at the SCB headquarters in Bangkok and then transferred to a branch within the Metro Bangkok area.

As mentioned the Bt96 fee was probably a Bahtnet fee for transfer to your SCB branch "outside the Metro Bangkok area."   I'm guessing your VA 100% disability pension was approx Bt96,000 (give or take approx Bt1000) depending on exchange rate for that particular monthly payment which would have incurred a Bt96 upcountry/inter-province transfer fee. 

Bahtnet Clearing Zone Fee

image.png.a1f78c63c87a4f726aee44b871448e35.png

I expect your total fees of Bt196 consisted of the basic Bahtnet Bt100 receiving and then an additional Bahtnet transfer clearing zone fee of Bt96 since I think you live outside the Metro Bangkok area.   If living inside the Metro Bangkok area there is no Bahtnet clearing zone fee as the transfer was received at the SCB headquarters in Bangkok and then transferred to a branch within the Metro Bangkok area.

As mentioned the Bt96 fee was probably a Bahtnet fee for transfer to your SCB branch "outside the Metro Bangkok area."   I'm guessing your VA 100% disability pension was approx Bt96,000 (give or take approx Bt1000) depending on exchange rate for that particular monthly payment which would have incurred a Bt96 upcountry/inter-province transfer fee. 

Bahtnet Clearing Zone Fee
image.png.a1f78c63c87a4f726aee44b871448e35.png

Yeah that’s about right and I live way outside of Bangkok my VA pension alone averages about 100,000 baht a month alone depending on the days exchange rate.
3 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

Last month my bank fee from SCB was 199 baht

And I expect your VA payment last month was approx Bt99K incurring a Bt99 interprovince Bahtnet transfer fee plus the basic Bt100 fee.