Retirement Visa - What are the new requirements.

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Technically the law does not specify a time that funds must be aged.  It merely states a $800k baht or 65k baht monthly income.  The idea that it has to be on deposit for 3 months or that the 65K baht must be shown for 12 months is strictly up to the immigration offices.  Since I must go to Jomtien whether they are right or wrong is immaterial.  They are the ones who are "making the law" and they can establish whatever rules they want to. 

Well you carry on, I usually follow the stipulated rules you claim do not exist and get my extension each year, just picked up my 10th or 11th last month.

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well you carry on, I usually follow the stipulated rules you claim do not exist and get my extension each year, just picked up my 10th or 11th last month.

This is a copy of the law.  No time frame is listed for how long money must be seasoned. It is the immigration offices that are establishing  the time frames.  It is my understanding that the office in chiang mai is only requiring two months to meet the 800k baht minimum.  Jomtien is 3 months.   I know that to get the official certification the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok ( I was there twice) will not mail back to you the certified forms.  The one in Chiang Mai will.  So it is clear the local offices adopt their own rules. 

Baht.JPG

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

My first quote was from the Thai Embassy in the USA.  This link is directly Ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Thailand.  Note again, there is no requirement stating how long any money must be seasoned. 

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

This is a copy of the law.  No time frame is listed for how long money must be seasoned. It is the immigration offices that are establishing  the time frames.  It is my understanding that the office in chiang mai is only requiring two months to meet the 800k baht minimum.  Jomtien is 3 months.   I know that to get the official certification the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok ( I was there twice) will not mail back to you the certified forms.  The one in Chiang Mai will.  So it is clear the local offices adopt their own rules. 

Baht.JPG

No. It's two months for the first extension, and three for all subsequent.

No medical form required for extensions. That's for O-A visas obtained in home country.

Baht.JPG

Sorry, I thought we were actually discussing an extension based on retirement, not an actual visa obtained outside of Thailand.

Just now, jacko45k said:

Sorry, I thought we were actually discussing an extension based on retirement, not an actual visa obtained outside of Thailand.

Yes it seems some people are slow to learn they are different things, with different properties, with different technical application requirements.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

No. It's two months for the first extension, and three for all subsequent.

No medical form required for extensions. That's for O-A visas obtained in home country.

Here again, I was at Jomtien.  The bank where I opened my account told me that it was three months unless I used an agency and then it would be two.  I went to Jomtien immigration and the officers behind both Counter 7 which is the first time extension and behind counter 8 which is the renewal said they required three months. 

Here again, I was at Jomtien.  The bank where I opened my account told me that it was three months unless I used an agency and then it would be two.  I went to Jomtien immigration and the officers behind both Counter 7 which is the first time extension and behind counter 8 which is the renewal said they required three months. 

I don't believe you have interpreted this correctly. Sorry. The bank would know nothing about such things and people shouldn't even ask them. It's absurd to ask them. They're banks, not immigration officers.

I am suspecting a communication issue in the way questions were asked at immigration. Of course I could be wrong but I don't think so. 

People doing conversions from 30 day stamps or tourist visas to single entry O visa in Thailand require no seasoning. Many people do that. So it's not even reasonable to require three months for the first extension as that set of people will only get a 90 day stay, so often impossible for them to have time to season for three months. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it seems some people are slow to learn they are different things, with different properties, with different technical application requirements.

We are talking about a Visa obtained here in Thailand.  In the list of requirements from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.  NOTE THERE IS NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF ANY TIME FRAME FOR SEASONING MONEY. 

Visa.JPG

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't believe you have interpreted this correctly. Sorry. The bank would know nothing about such things and people shouldn't even ask them. It's absurd to ask them. They're banks, not immigration officers.

I am suspecting a communication issue in the way questions were asked at immigration. Of course I could be wrong but I don't think so. 

People doing conversions from 30 day stamps or tourist visas to single entry O visa in Thailand require no seasoning. Many people do that. So it's not even reasonable to require three months for the first extension as that set of people will only get a 90 day stay, so often impossible for them to have time to season for three months. 

I did not ask, I told the bank officer that I wanted the account in order to apply for a retirement visa.  The bank officer is the one who volunteered that the deposit must be there for 3 months.  However, they had an agency that would open an account for me at Bangkok bank and if I used the agency the time frame required would only be two months. 

We are talking about a Visa obtained here in Thailand.  In the list of requirements from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.  NOTE THERE IS NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF ANY TIME FRAME FOR SEASONING MONEY. 

Visa.JPG

That text is nothing to do with visas. It's about extensions. You're wrong about seasoning on 800K extension applications. Don't look at MFA for that. This is well established, two months for the first extension, three for subsequent. 

I did not ask, I told the bank officer that I wanted the account in order to apply for a retirement visa.  The bank officer is the one who volunteered that the deposit must be there for 3 months.  However, they had an agency that would open an account for me at Bangkok bank and if I used the agency the time frame required would only be two months. 

OK, then. He gave you unsolicited FALSE information. Asked for or not, bank staff are not the place to go for such information.

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

We are talking about a Visa obtained here in Thailand.

Well, you don't get visas for Thailand actually in Thailand. What you are looking at here is someone entering on a Visa waiver (30 days) or Tourist Visa (60 days) converting the entry stamp to that of a Non-Imm O entry by immigration (and getting 90 further days). This is a stepping stone to then obtaining an extension of stay for 12 months. You will be required to show 800k in a Thai bank that has come from overseas.  When you go for the extension, that money needs to have been maintained (seasoned) for 2 months as a requirement.

You are dealing with an area in Jomtiem where others have had issues! We can only tell you what the requirements should be!

Edited by jacko45k

Just now, jacko45k said:

Well, you don't get visas for Thailand actually in Thailand. What you are looking at here is someone entering on a Visa waiver (30 days) or Tourist Visa (60 days) converting the entry stamp to that of a Non-Imm O entry by immigration. This is a stepping stone to then obtaining an extension of stay for 12 months. You will be required to show 800k in a Thai bank that has come from overseas.  When you go for the extension, that money needs to have been maintained (seasoned) for 2 months as a requirement.

Well it sounds like your version of the "truth' is at variance with the Jomtien immigration officials. My neighbor here is from Belgium.  He has had exactly the same experience as I have.  3 MONTHS.  He has been here for five years. 

Well it sounds like your version of the "truth' is at variance with the Jomtien immigration officials. My neighbor here is from Belgium.  He has had exactly the same experience as I have.  3 MONTHS.  He has been here for five years. 

To do that you would have to apply for your extension on the very last day of the 90 days given by the conversion of entry. Perhaps you and your Belgian neighbour dealt with the same officer.  How did the Belgian live here last year if he didn't already have an Extension?

Ubon Joe showed you the words of the order.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Yes. It is 3 months for subsequent applications but 2 months for the first. Again, usually impossible for new people who do conversions to a 90 day 0 visa in Thailand to season for 3 months that first time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. It is 3 months for subsequent applications but 2 months for the first. Again, usually impossible for new people who do conversions to a 90 day 0 visa in Thailand to season for 3 months that first time.

Again, ACCORDING TO YOU.  I had to deal with the Jomtien officials who were demanding three months.  My Belgian neighbor said he had exactly the same experience as I did and with each renewal of his Visa he has been required to have his $800k baht aged for 3 months.  I also agree with you that the current system makes it impossible for money to be aged for three months when applying for the extension.  As a matter of fact SCB, Krungsri, UOB Thanachort, and TMB banks all universally refused to open an account unless you had a 1 year visa.  Perhaps they would do if you have a residence certificate or drivers license since others had mentioned that but none of the banks volunteered that.  THEY ALL SAID - NO ONE YEAR VISA - NO ACCOUNT. That puts new people in the position of having to have an account to get a 0 visa but not being able to get an account without a 1 year 0 visa.  Another poster on here questioned me and called the various banks.  They all told him exactly what I was told. 

Just now, Thomas J said:

Again, ACCORDING TO YOU.  I had to deal with the Jomtien officials who were demanding three months.  My Belgian neighbor said he had exactly the same experience as I did and with each renewal of his Visa he has been required to have his $800k baht aged for 3 months.  I also agree with you that the current system makes it impossible for money to be aged for three months when applying for the extension.  As a matter of fact SCB, Krungsri, UOB Thanachort, and TMB banks all universally refused to open an account unless you had a 1 year visa.  Perhaps they would do if you have a residence certificate or drivers license since others had mentioned that but none of the banks volunteered that.  THEY ALL SAID - NO ONE YEAR VISA - NO ACCOUNT. That puts new people in the position of having to have an account to get a 0 visa but not being able to get an account without a 1 year 0 visa.  Another poster on here questioned me and called the various banks.  They all told him exactly what I was told. 

You are correct. The seasoning requirement for all extensions AFTER the first one is indeed three months. First one is two months.

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

They are the ones who are "making the law" and they can establish whatever rules they want to. 

agreed, but I'm not sure, does the immigration Minister and Privy council need to sign off on new imm. laws.  I'm guessing if you went to defend yourself in court using basic reasoning of following written law a loss would still be imminent.

I know of one situation where a judge simply ignored the law of an overdue co-owner having to pay interest in money owed. The coowner was let off from having to pay the interest.

A complete joke as the interest owed side of the law is important in making people pay on time.

Enjoy your supper chaps

1 minute ago, stud858 said:

agreed, but I'm not sure, does the immigration Minister and Privy council need to sign off on new imm. laws.  I'm guessing if you went to defend yourself in court using basic reasoning of following written law a loss would still be imminent.

I know of one situation where a judge simply ignored the law of an overdue co-owner having to pay interest in money owed. The coowner was let off from having to pay the interest.

A complete joke as the interest owed side of the law is important in making people pay on time.

Enjoy your supper chaps

it is no different in the USA.  The law is what the judge says it is.  Obama was able to circumvent immigration law with an executive order allowing DACA children to remain in the USA despite that being illegal.  When Trump tried to pass an immigration law invalidating what Obama did, the judge ruled that his executive order was unconstitutional.   

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not been to Jomtiem Immigration, how do you keep being wrong so often?

I was there Tuesday.

Your Belgian friend, who has lived here for 5 years, how did he do so last year?

Try Bangkok Bank, 2nd Rd, Beach Rd or opposite Numchai, take the required documents with you. Not one of them states a one year visa.

Bangkok bank will open an account.  However they do require you purchase an insurance policy.  Even then if you go to them and open an account with your 0 90 day visa.  Obviously you can not use the income method since that takes 12 months.  You can also no use the 800k baht requirement since even if you could transfer on the same day, you only have 90 day visa and Jomtien Immigration says deposit must be seasoned for 3 months.  Your options now would only be to open an account at Bangkok bank and use an agency that allows for only a two month seasoning, now that income verification affidavits are no longer available. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You can post 100 all caps posts, dude.

I still think you're confused.

It isn't even true that you can't open a bank account without a one year visa.

People that shop around to different branches to different banks will find that they can.

Well that is what other people have said that they were able to open an account.  The only bank I found that will open one is Bangkok bank and that was with having to buy an insurance policy.  PROVE ME WRONG.  Call the banks.  Another poster on this forum did and he found out exactly what I have said.  Perhaps at one time it was true you could open an account with a friendly branch office.  They aren't inclined to open one anymore.  I went to 5 different banks, two branches of the same bank, plus had my fiance who is Thai and has an account at SCB with me.  No one year visa - no account. 

Actually. I got time at the moment.

Even though I already have krungsri and tmb account. I will visit 5 banks during the following days and ask to first speak to manager and next to ask to open bank account for purpose of condo purchase.

I'm guessing 3 out of 5 success rate. I'll be in touch homies.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

I agree, but do not shout, you'll get a warning or a ban.

Good advice!   Point is whatever your predicament is you need to change your focus and get the job done, somehow... many options, move offices, go back home ,enlist assistance, cranking on here about failing won’t change a thing.