Retirement Visa - What are the new requirements.

You say that the 4 embassies yanked a carpet.  No the way I read it, Thailand changed the rules.  They no longer wanted just the affidavit, they demanded the embassies verify the income and the four countries chose not to get involved in a process for another country's requirement that put them in a position as an auditor.  The process for an O non immigrant visa requires a 65K baht monthly income.  If the person is just arriving in Thailand, and Thailand refuses to view his bank statement from his native country, that is an impossibility.  As I see it, and I still have even one person address this, HOW IS A PERSON SUPPOSED TO OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT IN THAILAND WITHOUT A 1 YEAR VISA.  i have been to five banks including two branches of SCB, and Krungsri banks ALL OF THEM REFUSED TO OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITHOUT A 1 YEAR VISA and that was even with my Fiance who is Thai having an account at SCB.  Further, the $800 baht has to be aged for 3 months. The bank told me this as did the immigration office in Jomtien.  The first 0 visa is only for 90 days.  So even if a person was able to secure an account as the same day they received their O Visa and deposit the same day it would not be aged.  IT APPEARS TO ME THAT THE ONLY THING THAT THAILAND DID WAS TO PUT PEOPLE IN A CATCH 22.  They can no longer get an income verification at the 4 embassies, they can not open a bank account in Thailand without a Visa and they can't get a Visa without a bank account.  Perhaps those posting opened accounts some years ago when the banks were less restrictive.  The answer find a friendly branch does not cut it.  As stated, I went to 5 banks and 7 branches and all were the same. NO 1 YEAR VISA, NOT ALLOWED TO OPEN AN ACCOUNT. 
If your are absolutely not able to open and account while most of us are able to open multiple accounts then you should take a look in the mirror.

It won't help if you are scruffy or have bad hygiene.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

A new method of questionable actual real life acceptance at this point in time.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is just crap.  Numbers are numbers.  If they require the bank statement be translated, then make that a requirement.  Different languages.  Do you suppose the Thai Embassy in Washington who approves OA visas doesn't get applicants from multiple countries.  There are currently 350 languages spoken in the USA and 20% of the population speaks a language other than English.  Somehow the Thai Embassy in Washington is able to work through that.  Certainly that means that those in Thailand could too.  Particularly given it is A THAI I REPEAT A THAI REQUIREMENT. That does not mean it should be up to the Embassy staffs at the USA, UK, AUS, or Denmark embassy to solve what is a Thai problem. 

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Immigration acted quickly to offer a solution to the 4 country's nationals whose Embassies had yanked a carpet from under them at short notice. 

6 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

the way I read it, Thailand changed the rules.  They no longer wanted just the affidavit, they demanded the embassies verify the income and the four countries chose not to get involved in a process for another country's requirement that put them in a position as an auditor. 

Yes, and according to the US Consul's interview, after immigration stated our letters would not be usable any longer, they had been working behind the scenes (well-before the letters were pulled), and were surprised it was taking so long for the replacement-system to be rolled-out. 

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They never wanted a affidavit, their error was accepting it! 

Hmmm ... and made that "error" for decades, it seems, though the letters clearly stated exactly what they were - sworn affidavits.  

I think they were accepted because you "Go To Prison" if you lie.  Many of the indictments in the USA-news right now, are for perjury to a federal official - and many of those cases are less provable as intentional lies, then pretending you have income which you don't.  Lying on one of those affidavits would hand a slam-dunk case to a Federal DA.  I hope no one reading this did that, for your sake.

28 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

i have attempted to open an account at that office.  They told me and one a different date my fiance who is Thai.  No account openings except for a 1 year retirement Visa.  They said nothing about residency verification or a thai drivers license.  Perhaps that is how you were able to open the account.  I can tell you without it, the only thing they would accept was a 1 year Visa.   I went a second time with my first 0 visa which was for 90 days and again told, 1 year visa not just an 0 visa was required. 

Try Bangkok Bank at the top of Walking St, or the one on Jomtien 2nd Rd near immigration - with your fiance.  Just not having to speak English to you, will make them more amenable.  You may need a residence-certificate from Immigration or your embassy. 

First thing to say - "I need to transfer a million baht into an account for immigration."  As others have stated, best to look like you might actually have a million-baht - and your fiance, too.

Edited by JackThompson

44 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

That is just crap.  Numbers are numbers.  If they require the bank statement be translated, then make that a requirement.  Different languages.  Do you suppose the Thai Embassy in Washington who approves OA visas doesn't get applicants from multiple countries.  There are currently 350 languages spoken in the USA and 20% of the population speaks a language other than English.  Somehow the Thai Embassy in Washington is able to work through that.  Certainly that means that those in Thailand could too.  Particularly given it is A THAI I REPEAT A THAI REQUIREMENT. That does not mean it should be up to the Embassy staffs at the USA, UK, AUS, or Denmark embassy to solve what is a Thai problem. 

I wasn't speaking of O-A visas.

Home country in Thailand embassy letters have never been required at Thai embassies in home countries.

I was only speaking of this new thing -- income including combo applications in Thailand for retirement applications. Income would apply to marriage as well, never had combo with option with that anyway.

Is it crap that offices are showing signs of not getting the message about the central immigration memos concerning above? I suppose it is.

But in my view it is much less crap that they would balk at combinations applications without embassy letters. Why? The memos do not mention them even once. It's asking too much of front line officers to guess the intentions about something like that. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

SCB at BIG C, Pattaya South will open an account if you have an extension of stay on a Non O visa, no other requirements, bar something showing your address.  I used my Thai Driving Licence for that. 

I am just wondering why so many on this forum - usually newbies - have so many problems...........must be over demanding folks from the old countries I guess  -  I always smile, speak civily as much in Thai as I can and when I can't I speak very slowly in english and always get what I need.  I suspect those 'other' folks never get what they want no matter how much information you give them.

Me thinks Thomas J will not be able to stay in Thailand for much longer, instead of taking the information provided on this forum, just comes up with another "What If"   or  something else.......hope he comes back with a positive answer like "Hey, I was able to open a Bank Account - thanks for the help"  that remains to be seen.

9 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I don't know how long ago you and others attempted to open an account here.  I have done so over the past 4 months.  The only bank that would open an account was Bangkok bank and that was because I was a US citizen. 

This is something that I had not previously considered. Some Thai banks wont touch you simply because you are American and they dont want to get tangled up in US regulatory nonsense. I dont think there is much you can do about this.

My friend was from Europe and had no trouble at all opening two accounts recently, without any sort of visa. The entire procedure took less than a week from completing the forms to having the bank books and card and full internet banking.

This is something that I had not previously considered. Some Thai banks wont touch you simply because you are American and they dont want to get tangled up in US regulatory nonsense. I dont think there is much you can do about this.

My friend was from Europe and had no trouble at all opening two accounts recently, without any sort of visa. The entire procedure took less than a week from completing the forms to having the bank books and card and full internet banking.
This is a global issue for Americans abroad.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have dealt with Bangkok bank, SCB and Krungthai all this year with no American problem.  I don't think you are correct.  If you are please feel free to post a link. 

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

You say that the 4 embassies yanked a carpet.  No the way I read it, Thailand changed the rules.  They no longer wanted just the affidavit, they demanded the embassies verify the income and the four countries chose not to get involved …//

You continue to ignore the fact that the "verification" is nothing new.

Below is an extract of the Bangkok Immigration website dated of March 2011

(the full page from 2011 is at this URL on Archive.org)

test.jpg

46 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have dealt with Bangkok bank, SCB and Krungthai all this year with no American problem.  I don't think you are correct.  If you are please feel free to post a link. 

Dont take my word for it: ask an American (as in the post immediately above yours).

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Dont take my word for it: ask an American (as in the post immediately above yours).

I'm an American and was able to open savings account recently with Kasikorn bank near Phrom Phong in Bangkok. Took about 30 min to fill out paperwork and for them to type everything in the computer. They gave me a debit card and passbook at same time. No problem at all.

Edited by BertM
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BertM said:

I'm an American and was able to open savings account recently with Kasikorn bank near Phrom Phong in Bangkok. Took about 30 min to fill out paperwork and for them to type everything in the computer. They gave me a debit card and passbook at same time. No problem at all.

I said it was a global issue for Americans. Which it is. I didn't say it was impossible for Americans to open bank accounts in Thailand. Get the difference? 

https://www.berdonllp.com/taxman-goes-abroad/

47 minutes ago, BertM said:

Came here on a Non-O and went though the "Can Not" drill with both Bangkok Bank and Krungsi.  I chalked a lot of the reluctance up to Thai bank employees not knowing about our visas and possibly unsure/shy about their English - which was better than my Thai, for sure.  In each case, they stuck to their guns for a while then finally made a phone call, told it was OK, then got it done.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:34 AM, marcusarelus said:

I won't park 25 grand in a Thai bank = I'm really broke.  Interest lost for 3 months is coffee change.  Anyone needing that is really broke and should go home. 

We know, we know.  Yall don't have to try and make up convincing arguments anymore, honest.  It's OK to be broke.  Thai visa posters are not that stupid.  We know the story.  Don't worry it's ok. 

I'm sure you're right they're there are some broke folks who say that.

However, just like a coin, there are two sides to every situation and one can look at every situation as either the glass is half full or the glass is half empty - I tend to look at life from 'the glass half full point of view' and that's how I look at folks who say 'I won't park USD 25K in a Thai bank'.

The folks who have USD 25K to park for a while, whether it be for 3 months or 20 years, likely didn't get that money by not understanding the value of a dollar, taking foolish risks, or by throwing away a dollar here and a dollar there.

Beyond the better returns offered elsewhere and wasting money making two SWIFT transfers each year (transfer in to Thailand to season and transfer out (and going through a drill) after getting the extension) there are other things to consider.

In a fully developed financial system such as the U.S., one's bank deposit accounts (as well as brokerage accounts) can be designated as Totten trusts (payable on death to a beneficiary) by the account holder by the completion of a simple standard bank form FOR FREE - this ensures that when one's day comes, one's assets will be quickly transferred without going through the probate court process by simply presenting a death certificate to the bank.

It is my understanding that no such thing exists in Thailand and transferring a decedent's bank deposits involves retaining an attorney and going through a drill - likely an unpleasant, time consuming, and costly process for a beneficiary living outside Thailand.

One other thing that should be carefully considered before having any more money in a Thai bank than one wouldn't care about losing is that Thailand banking regulators have steadily decreased the amount of bank deposit protection - when initially implemented, deposits were insured up to THB 100,000,000 (about USD 3,000,000) and that amount has been stepped down with the final step set to go into effect in about 18 months to only THB 1,000,000 (USD 31,000). Not very much protection at all.

It seems to me that if the Thailand banking sector was extremely sound, that amount wouldn't be so low; after all, just like a well-made car, if something is 'great', it costs nothing to give a great 'warranty' since customers should very rarely need to use it and it helps with 'sales', which in this case is getting folks to deposit money.

With the way Thailand has been, and rightly so, tightening the screws on perpetual tourists, many folks from the 'Gang of Four' embassies countries lying on their sworn income affidavits, and others dancing around the edges on marriage and ed visas, I predict that the next things we'll likely see from the Thai authorities in regards to retirement extensions is increasing the amount that must be kept on deposit to THB 1,000,000 (USD 31,000), requiring that the deposit be kept 'under lien' (not removed or decreased) for the duration of the extension and, for folks using the income method, proof that a significant portion (for example, 75 percent as Malaysia is implementing) of their monthly income is from a pension (not subject to fluctuation as are things like dividends, interest, equities, etc.) 

14 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Consider, if you are from the USA and I would guess it is the same with other countries if you want an OA visa you apply at the Thai Embassy in that country.  It is then the responsibility of the Thai Embassy in that country to verify that you meet the income requirements before issuing the visa.  Why should it be any different in Thailand?  If it is a Thai immigration requirement, the responsibility rightfully belongs to the Thai government who imposes the requirement.  Why should the governments of other countries be responsible for auditing  and verifying the income requirement?   To say that the Embassies of the USA, Australia, U.K. etc. should gear up to verify is ludicrous.  The Thai immigration offices should have an area where you bring in your bank statements, or tax returns to verify your income.  That is the simplest and most efficient solution.  But this is government.  That says all it needs to about making sense or being efficient. 

It seems to me that the ideal situation would be for Thailand to adopt the 'retirement visa' methods in place in Malaysia and the Philippines.

In those countries, one submits proof of things like monthly pension and cash on deposit in demand (checking/current/savings) accounts in one's home countries to one's home country's embassy upon application for the retirement visa.

If one is granted the visa, at that point one puts an amount of money 'under lien' (on deposit as long as one holds the visa) in a bank account in the respective country and there is no proving and re-proving one's financial bona-fides.

The nice thing about retirement visas in those countries is that they are visas rather than extensions of stay and, in practice perpetual (Malaysia 10 years and the PI as long as one likes) with no visiting immigration, no re-entry permits, etc.

With Thailand's recent changes to the income method and the fact that I want to keep as little of my money 'under lien' outside the U.S. as I reasonably can, my thinking at this point is that I will get a PI retirement visa since, as a U.S. vet, I can get a Courtesy SRRV with only USD 1,500 deposited in a PI bank - I'll simply visit Thailand with either an O-A (2 years) or as many METVs as I can get.

With the PI SRRV, I'll have some insurance that if I'm not allowed entry at a Thailand airport, I can likely convince the immigration folks to allow me to go to the PI rather than all the way back to the U.S. as I have a PI residence visa.

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Hmmm ... and made that "error" for decades, it seems, though the letters clearly stated exactly what they were - sworn affidavits. 

I don't believe Embassy letters being obligated is that old. They positively weren't in my early days here which is less than 2 decades, so you must be making that up.

The translation of the Police Order states 'Income Certification Certified by Embassy or Consular' no mention of affidavit. The order specifically says certification. 

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

It is no more difficult for an American than any other nationality - an extra form-.  People constantly post about difficulty about opening bank accounts when they ignore the advice on many threads in the banking section.  I even posted a thread about how to open an account but it was no use answering all the critics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

It seems to me that the ideal situation would be for Thailand to adopt the 'retirement visa' methods in place in Malaysia and the Philippines.

In those countries, one submits proof of things like monthly pension and cash on deposit in demand (checking/current/savings) accounts in one's home countries to one's home country's embassy upon application for the retirement visa.

If one is granted the visa, at that point one puts an amount of money 'under lien' (on deposit as long as one holds the visa) in a bank account in the respective country and there is no proving and re-proving one's financial bona-fides.

The nice thing about retirement visas in those countries is that they are visas rather than extensions of stay and, in practice perpetual (Malaysia 10 years and the PI as long as one likes) with no visiting immigration, no re-entry permits, etc.

With Thailand's recent changes to the income method and the fact that I want to keep as little of my money 'under lien' outside the U.S. as I reasonably can, my thinking at this point is that I will get a PI retirement visa since, as a U.S. vet, I can get a Courtesy SRRV with only USD 1,500 deposited in a PI bank - I'll simply visit Thailand with either an O-A (2 years) or as many METVs as I can get.

With the PI SRRV, I'll have some insurance that if I'm not allowed entry at a Thailand airport, I can likely convince the immigration folks to allow me to go to the PI rather than all the way back to the U.S. as I have a PI residence visa.

I have a will and my funds go to my wife after my death and keeping 25 grand in a Thai bank is a small percent of the money I keep there because I have retired to Thailand with no desire to return to America.  There have been no new visa requirements in my case for the past 20 years.  I would not visit PI because the lack of infrastructure is too dangerous for a person with health issues. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I am just wondering why so many on this forum - usually newbies - have so many problems...........must be over demanding folks from the old countries I guess  -  I always smile, speak civily as much in Thai as I can and when I can't I speak very slowly in english and always get what I need.  I suspect those 'other' folks never get what they want no matter how much information you give them.

I found that a lot of stress and  hassle went away for me once I had done everything official once; first extension of stay, first 90 days report, Thai driving licence, now getting an account organised  and  getting that 800K into the bank well in advance of my next extension of stay. Life is simple here once you have all the pieces  in place, although getting to that position can be frustrating. I must say that all the detailed forward planning before I ever came to live in LOS paid off big time.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I wonder why so many Old posters on this site reference what they did 8 years ago as evidence that things have not changed.  The banks perhaps at one time were accommodating to opening accounts for foreigners.  THEY ARE NOT NOW.  It has nothing to do with politeness.  They all stress that their banks have policies that indicate that without a 1 year visa they can not open an account.  Now perhaps having a residency letter or a drivers license makes a difference.  I can only attest to the fact that those alternatives were never offered at any of the 5 different banks I visited.  They all said as a foreigner I needed a 1 year visa.  The only exception eventually was Bangkok bank and that was only because they have an office in New York and I am a USA citizen. Even then, they extort you with the requirement to buy an insurance policy as a pre-condition to opening the account. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't believe Embassy letters being obligated is that old. They positively weren't in my early days here which is less than 2 decades, so you must be making that up.

The translation of the Police Order states 'Income Certification Certified by Embassy or Consular' no mention of affidavit. The order specifically says certification. 

We could (and many have) gone back an forth on what 'certification' and 'verified' mean in this context, but no need to re-hash it.  My point is, no one was fooling the Thais about the nature of the letters - sworn on penalty of perjury (prison/felony).

Some amphoes refused to marry my wife and I due to the letter's disclaimer, which they read to me in English when explaining why they would never let Americans marry Thais at their amphoe.  Many reported similar when using the income-letters in immigration offices - the reason 2ndary proof documents were required (easy if pensions - not so easy if investments and/or overseas businesses).

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

We could (and many have) gone back an forth on what 'certification' and 'verified' mean in this context, but no need to re-hash it.  My point is, no one was fooling the Thais about the nature of the letters - sworn on penalty of perjury (prison/felony).

Some amphoes refused to marry my wife and I due to the letter's disclaimer, which they read to me in English when explaining why they would never let Americans marry Thais at their amphoe.  Many reported similar when using the income-letters in immigration offices - the reason 2ndary proof documents were required (easy if pensions - not so easy if investments and/or overseas businesses).

Well obviously the four embassies thought something had changed.  Also Thai immigration has for many years accepted the affidavits as provided by the embassies as valid for purposes of obtaining a visa.  Again, it is a Thai requirement.  For the Thai government to expect that other countries embassies due their work to verify income to meet a Thai requirement is wrong.  In the USA and I expect in other countries the Thai Embassies in those countries issue O-A Visas which require income verification.  If those embassies can verify the income there is absolutely no reason why government agencies here in Thailand could not do the same.  

Not sure if this thread is appropriate anyway just a quick report on retirement extension renewal at Phetchabun Immigration this morning.

I use income method and obtained an embassy letter before the cut off date.

Apart from the staff being somewhat pedantic regarding the quality of my hand drawn map, no problems and was in and out in about 45 minutes. No questions regarding embassy letter.

Just a case of getting my ducks in a row for next year.  I transfer every month using Transferwise, only problem I foresee is FX rates with Brexit.

23 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

In the USA and I expect in other countries the Thai Embassies in those countries issue O-A Visas which require income verification.  If those embassies can verify the income there is absolutely no reason why government agencies here in Thailand could not do the same.  

Yes, if that income is currently in the country where they are residing it can be done. And lo and behold, that is where we have ended up for those whose Embassies have decided to not continue giving unverified certification. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, if that income is currently in the country where they are residing it can be done. And lo and behold, that is where we have ended up for those whose Embassies have decided to not continue giving unverified certification. 

I don't blame the embassies at all.  They were essentially being asked to be auditors to meet a Thai requirement.  Again, numbers are numbers irrespective of what county they come from.  It would seem very reasonable for Thai immigration to allow foreigners to submit income verification from other countries and even reasonable that they require the foreigners to get the income verification papers translated.  I got my 1 year retirement visa using the last of the USA embassy affidavits.  I still believe there is a huge problem going forward for new applicants.  None of the banks will open an account for a foreigner without a 1 year Visa and immigration will not approve Visa's without the deposits being in a Thai bank.  The only bank that will open an account is Bangkok Bank and even then, there is no way to open the account, deposit the money and have it aged for three months.  You go into immigration for your first 90 day 0 Visa and they require income verification. So unless you go to Bangkok bank on your tourist visa open an account transfer money and then leave and return to Thailand after 3 months to apply there is no way to process your non immigrant Visa.  

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

None of the banks will open an account for a foreigner without a 1 year Visa

Simply not true. People here have been reporting how they opened a bank account, the Bangkok Bank lists what is acceptable on their website,  one is passport, the other a choice of 5 options none of which is a one year visa! Link.

13 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

It would seem very reasonable for Thai immigration to allow foreigners to submit income verification from other countries and even reasonable that they require the foreigners to get the income verification papers translated.

Well it may seem so to you, but I don't read Arabic very well, and Translations are only as good as who make them! Perhaps the Embassies can certify the translation... oh dear.

Slightly aside, I wonder how long Thai immigration will continue to accept affidavit or stat dec type letters from other Embassies. Maybe one day they will ask more of them too, or if they do not, the USA and Aus. should resume theirs!

Edited by jacko45k

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Simply not true. People here have been reporting how they opened a bank account, the Bangkok Bank lists what is acceptable on their website,  one is passport, the other a choice of 5 options none of which is a one year visa! Link.

Well it may seem so to you, but I don't read Arabic very well, and Translations are only as good as who make them! Perhaps the Embassies can certify the translation... oh dear.

Slightly aside, I wonder how long Thai immigration will continue to accept affidavit or stat dec type letters from other Embassies. Maybe one day they will ask more of them too, or if they do not, the USA and Aus. should resume theirs!

I am from the USA.  There currently are 350 languages spoken in the USA.  The Thai embassy in Washington does not seem to have a problem processing application there from people using multiple languages.  Again, I know this may shock you but numbers which income is, are the same in Arabic as they are in English, and in Thai.  

4 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Again, I know this may shock you but numbers which income is, are the same in Arabic as they are in English, and in Thai.  

Wrong again, Arabic has a different numbering system!

(Actually Thai does too but it is becoming less common, only used in restaurants to show Thai prices.) 

The Thai Embassy in Washington likely only processes Visa applications in English.

Edited by jacko45k