Best Fast Snacks

Jet Gorgon

Sometimes when I'm peckish, I stand with the fridge door open expecting the ice fairy to dispense with an instant snack on a plate. No show, as usual.

So I rummage around and put together something like half a crusty roll with butter, liverwurst (cheap pate) and chopped dill pickles, or cream cheese and olives. Or even just a hard-boiled egg (now that I know how to cook them proper, thanks to the TV chefs). If I still had a toaster oven I'd maybe grill cheese, tomatoes and bell peppers on toast.

I love fruit but I can't be bothered cutting it up for myself.

Tupperware party hints for fast food snackies, Chefs?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoked oysters on HaiTai saltine crackers. Anchor Cheese in a piece of Big C French stick (Sneak out the back before the dog smells the cheese or have to share), bacon sandwich made in the George Foreman grill....gotta let that bacon fat crisp the bread up; shouldn't eat between meals anyway!!!

Cooking For The Web Set

The low-fat, high-bandwidth solution to your networked cooking needs is finally here. The George Foreman USB iGrill conveniently connects to your home or office PC using USB 2.0 technology, and provides a sophisticated web-based cooking interface.

Download recipes, enter in the type of food, weight and desired degree of doneness, and the iGrill handles the rest. Did you know that a medium rare 1/4 lb. hamburger made from 80% lean beef takes 1 minute and 45 seconds less cook time than an identical patty made from 95% lean prime Black Angus? The iGrill does. As your meal cooks, the subtle glow from under the unit increases brightness and pulses faster until your meal is perfectly done.

Running late at work? Need to get dinner on the table? It is easy to warm up the iGrill from any internet connection. With a little advance planning, your meal can be ready when you get home!

Using the USB current to directly charge high voltage capacitors, the iGrill does not require any additional power supply, making it perfect for dorm or office cooking.

Price:

$99.99

Availability: [ info ]

In Stock

Quantity:

If you have a grill, a bag of nacho chips, a can of spaghetti sauce (an cheap <deleted> will do) and some grated cheese. Put the chips on a cooking tray, pour some or all of the sauce over the top, sprinkle on the cheese, whack under the grill till browned and bob's your knob.

One of the first things I ever learned to cook at about 8 years old: the scrambled egg sandwich.

Melt some butter in an egg pan. To the hot pan add 1 egg, and immediately stir it with a fork to break the yolk. Don't stir it too much, you don't want a uniform color. If it's a non-stick pan, do the egg stirring part in a bowl first. Cook until the bottom is begining to brown, then flip the egg. It should puff up nicely. Cook about 10 to 15 seconds and then place on a slice of cheap white bread spread with a liberal quantity of mustard and catsup. Top with the second slice of white bread to complete the sandwich, and cut in half.

Until recently I had forgotten just how delicious this is. It's one of the very rare foods I put catsup on, but it's not right without it. You could dress it up with cheese or mushrooms, but the awesome simplicity of this sandwich works.

I like sum nicely sliced fresh fruit...mangoes an' watermelon in particular...de wife will come home widde goods, slice 'em up an' set out on de kitchen table so ye can wander by an' pick sum up...recently, I was widde 9 y.o. niece an' there was a nice, ripe mango on de table...she peeled an' sliced it an' we sat together an' enjoyed, nothin' spoken, just mutual enjoyment...

whadda monster... :o

Large Matzo cracker with whatever you fancy on top. Try something pickled with something to take the flavour down. Pickled gerkin with goats cheese. Pickled egg with water cress. Branston pickle with sardines. Use your imagination and have fun.

You can't beat Matza!!!

The Febo places in Holland, you know the places, he ones that have little letter box type things with food in, you put your money and 'hey presto'.

Usually no idea what it is but, its top when you're pissed....! :o

redrus

one egg, one slice of bread.

butter both sides of bread,

place in frypan,

get drinking glass and make hole in centre of bread,

start frying bread, when butter starts to melt, crack egg and place in hole,

keep frying bread, when white of egg begins to bubble, turn over,

cook untill golden brown.

I like my yolks runny so I cook it quicker (higher heat), for hard yolks slower(lower heat).

you may have to experiment a bit to get it right.

Oh, thanks, Bronco. I just tried that with runny yolk. Very yum. I cooked the hole piece for extra dipping. Is that allowed? Or did I do it wrong and you use the glass to squidge the bread aside to make the hole?

Sorry forgot to mention that, you use the glass to make the hole, (or squidge it, I like that term) press down on glass and screw it around till the round bit ends up detached.

Also forgot to mention you fry the round bit, you could use it to dipp, but it never normally makes it that far, I eat it while waiting for the main course.

Might go and make one now :o

This sounds disgusting, but is really lovely - mash a banana with a fork until gooey & pile on hot buttered toast.

Also (need an oven for this one, though), grate some cheese & mix with tabasco sauce & either a spoon of fruit chutney or branston pickle (both work well, but different tastes). Pile onto a halved bread roll, put the top on, wrap in tin foil & warm through for about 10 mins until cheese mix is melted & roll hot.

This sounds disgusting, but is really lovely - mash a banana with a fork until gooey & pile on hot buttered toast.

Also (need an oven for this one, though), grate some cheese & mix with tabasco sauce & either a spoon of fruit chutney or branston pickle (both work well, but different tastes). Pile onto a halved bread roll, put the top on, wrap in tin foil & warm through for about 10 mins until cheese mix is melted & roll hot.

All sound yummy to me NR.

We used to put some condensed milk in the mashed banana, and if you like it sweet, srinkle a little brown sugar on top. Not healthy, just tasty.

Oh, thanks, Bronco. I just tried that with runny yolk. Very yum. I cooked the hole piece for extra dipping. Is that allowed? Or did I do it wrong and you use the glass to squidge the bread aside to make the hole?

Sorry forgot to mention that, you use the glass to make the hole, (or squidge it, I like that term) press down on glass and screw it around till the round bit ends up detached.

Also forgot to mention you fry the round bit, you could use it to dipp, but it never normally makes it that far, I eat it while waiting for the main course.

Might go and make one now :o

years ago sum friends from New Jersey useta make the same an' called it a 'bulls eye'

Ya....now I remember seeing Dukakis as Cher's mom make them in "Moonstruck". But that was Brooklyn. 555

Just found a green tomato in the market and will fry it up like Granma taught me:

wash and slice tomato

dredge through salt and peppered flour

fry in sizzling butter about a minute per side or until golden crispy

Heaven.

Cheesy beano:

Toast one side of a thick piece of white bread

Heat some baked beans

Spoon beans onto untoasted side of bread

Cover with cheese

Stick it under the grill till the cheese is melty

For extra special occasions put some Spam on the toast before you load it up with beans

Yum!

I know what I am going to have for lunch now. Take two slices of thickly sliced fresh bread, toast and butter with anchor salter, add some tinned toms and sprinkle (or load) grated cheese on top. My favorite, it's got everything, bread, butter, salt, tomatoes and cheese.............................................. :o

ok now a serious question!!!

Where can get bag of salty baygle (with sea same and salt also acceptable)!!

Sometimes I just want this basic snack not the sweet seet or the shrimps shrimps thing. ;(

JUST A BAYGLE!!

:o

matzo an' scrambled eggs is also a nice quick one...simply scramble 2 eggs an' smash up a whole matzoh an' toss it inta de egg mixture...a jewish friend in Pasadena showed me that one; he couldn't boil water but he sure could do matzo an' scrambled...

but, yeah...where to find matzo?...sumone could do a good business by opening a jewish deli in BKK...

My favourite is the humble toasted sandwich. Chuck in some onions, salami slices and plenty of cheese. Fantastic post-pub snack.

dis sounds like culinary subversion to me...when de pub closes yer supposed to go down to de curry house an' get vindaloo wid yer mates or else down de chippie...later to lose it all on de pavement fer people to walk around on their way inta work on Monday... :o