Have you had a good life?

ivor bigun

I was talking to a guy the other day and we were talking about life in general and he said his had been shity ,was his words,I felt guilty saying that mine had been bloody fantastic ,such a great time from when i was young upantil and including now. What about you? Any complaints ,wishing you had done things differently,or has it been a blast.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I consider I have had a fortunate life

Education free of charge

Employment which was enjoyable, fulfilling and a support to the general community

Relative good health, despite a very serious motor vehicle accident many years ago.

Although many of my friends died way too early from disease

I am alive healthy and enjoying my senior years

20 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I was talking to a guy the other day and we were talking about life in general and he said his had been shity ,was his words,I felt guilty saying that mine had been bloody fantastic ,such a great time from when i was young upantil and including now. 

So you really rubbed his nose in it then? 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Which is of course BS.

How good can you make it if you have cancer/spina bifida, etc.

I thought this was a good topic. Now you just depressed me.

But, on a serious note, my late Aunt was spastic but, while wheelchair bound and had severe difficulties, had a great life. Looked after by her neices till she was in her twenties and then lived in her own assisted home till she died. Great lady, always laughing.

It is what you make it.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Which is of course BS.

How good can you make it if you have cancer/spina bifida, etc.

there you go.... you don't have/not born with cancer/spina bifida, you got it and that means the way you lived your life somehow make it happen, make the best out of the bad, it's worth

if you ask the question, or brag about your life.....odds are you life isn't special and I'm 100% sure I wouldn't want it.

But be lucky we have all this free time to ramble about such things.

maybe my life would have been better if i had to struggle more, or less, or this, or that, or this or that.  what metrics are you using?

happiness?  OMG, that's so 1960's.  Money?  OMG, not the right metric either.  oh, who judges.  

bottom line:  get a plan for today, do it.  repeat.  

Yes and no. I've had a miserable marriage for 28 years. On the other hand, I've achieved more when I was working than the majority of people, and travelled to many countries on the company dime. I have a son who has become a rock of support.

Right now, I am living a life in Thailand that men of my age in my home country can only dream of.

Life has different meanings to many people depending on what one means as "good". What do you mean a good life? A person born and lived there life in cold severe to many would regard his or hers as perfect. Life is very simple "we" tend to think there is something to our lives like there is a goal to achieve. In the end which we shall meet one day nothing really mattered but what one thinks his life should of been.

I was told at the age of 14 I had Bipolar Disorder but really did not understand how bad/crazy my life was until 19. Most of my life I have been either manic or medicated yet I have had a great roll of the dice. Sure, things never plan out the way you want but I can at least say, I have never really had a boring day in my head. I am not as able as I want to be but I got a great wife and I hope a few more years left in me. As another poster said, when I do go, I hope it is quick. I watched family members die very slowly. 

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And should be allowed.

It was a joke as this is the Farang Pub forum. Let's not go down this route.

I'm sitting here with the wife, couple of Leos, listening to Pink Floyd, spring roll starter, chillie con carne for dinner. Life is pretty good. Don't spoil the evening.....

When I tell people i was a pro musician they say 'All your life'. I reply 'Not Yet'. 

12 years as a single guy working in Scandinavia, Germany & Switzerland in hotels & nightclubs.

14 years running my own hotel as manager/chef with my lovely young wife and still singing with her.

Two wonderful boys now singing and drumming in Dubai. Sadly wife died.

10 years here in Thaialnd, 6 years in Pattaya singing and guitaring. Last 4 years up here in P'lok doing f....al....

YES. I have had a very good, healthy, satisfying life. If I get 10 more years I shall be so happy.....and broke!

A life can never be always upside, there are built in downsides, like people (and pets) who pass away, for me that’s the main downside. I do think it’s important to do things that you enjoy, and do everything you can to be fit and healthy, as that adds to the enjoyment, and can make a huge difference to your quality of life. Placing yourself in a stress free environment is important also, life is too short to spend it with toxic people. The one certainty is death, so best not complain, see the silver linings in every cloud, and enjoy every day.

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Yes and no. I've had a miserable marriage for 28 years. On the other hand, I've achieved more when I was working than the majority of people, and travelled to many countries on the company dime. I have a son who has become a rock of support.

Right now, I am living a life in Thailand that men of my age in my home country can only dream of.

Metoo, and Metoo.

But I've lost several pals along the way, one died age 50 from cancer, one went home with bone cancer, and another pal is dying with AIDs. None of them lived better or worse lives than me, all were younger, you just gotta be lucky.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

When I tell people i was a pro musician they say 'All your life'. I reply 'Not Yet'. 

12 years as a single guy working in Scandinavia, Germany & Switzerland in hotels & nightclubs.

14 years running my own hotel as manager/chef with my lovely young wife and still singing with her.

Two wonderful boys now singing and drumming in Dubai. Sadly wife died.

10 years here in Thaialnd, 6 years in Pattaya singing and guitaring. Last 4 years up here in P'lok doing f....al....

YES. I have had a very good, healthy, satisfying life. If I get 10 more years I shall be so happy.....and broke!

Sorry 'bout your wife, the rest sounds good, keep on truckin'.

Archived