Have you had a good life?

ivor bigun

19 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Who is the subject of the verb "dissipate", you or others?

I am reading this as you are sick of other people who don't use their lives and time constructively. Am I correct?

No.

I was referring to some of my past habits, which habits I have now given up as I have had my fill of them.

Dissipation :   intemperance, immoderation, excess, profligacy, abandonment, self-indulgence, wildness;

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Denim said:

No.

I was referring to some of my past habits, which habits I have now given up as I have had my fill of them.

Dissipation :   intemperance, immoderation, excess, profligacy, abandonment, self-indulgence, wildness;

My goodness, you learn something new everyday. Dissipation has another meaning I had never come across before. This is from an Oxford Dictionary. Third meaning (disapproving) "living a life of harmful but enjoyable activities."

2 hours ago, puukao said:

At ThaePae Gate, some idiot came up to me and asked if he can feed the birds.  I just pointed to the MASSIVE sign that said you cannot.  Then he asked me to guess his age.  Then he told me how he looked so young and felt so great.  Then he told me that he exercises a lot, and tried to explain his last exercise.  I smiled, said, "great" and walked away.  

maybe he thinks he has a good life.  but really a completely narcissistic moron.  This is Thailand, most farangs are deeply flawed.  

My point:  Probably low IQ, thinks he has a good life, or wants me to tell him that he is....but in all reality, according to my metric, his life is pathetic.  

We have this 70+ year guy living in our condominium with his 30 year younger gf. He came over and told me how lucky he was, and how life turnaround for him, when he met this wonderful wonderful woman. At the same time I overheard his gf talking to my gf, and from what I could understand, it was a totally different story, and I got it confirmed later on. 

So, I guess happiness is just for some, and not all. They still together a year after, but she continue to move out, and come back when i beg long enough. He still happy thow when I see him, and due to his own statement. 

Nowt to complain about,seen lots of the World,never been short 

of anything,just about everything in my life I have enjoyed doing,

just 3 places I hope to visit before i pop my clogs,Madagascar,

Machu Picchu, and Easter Island.many people around where I

used to live never got further than the local pub,but I suppose

they were happy too,not knowing any better.

regards Worgeordie

Hmmm. At Machu Picchu, if allowed sufficient time by the guide you could sit and ponder your/our small place in the grand scheme of things.

Madagascar. East African with a European twist. might be different enough.

They say travel broadens the mind but it doesn't seem to work on people who visit/live in Thailand. Judging from all the glass half empty whinging that goes on on expat Thai forums.

I'm sure she'll receive her just payoff at the end.
Oh you cynic you,as a matter of fact i think that is the last thing on her mind ,she owns the house(he bought it over 16 years ago) she has a nice new car and she looks after all the finances as he is unable to .so she could have dumped him years ago,but prefers to care for the man she loves.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

29 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Hmmm. At Machu Picchu, if allowed sufficient time by the guide you could sit and ponder your/our small place in the grand scheme of things.

Madagascar. East African with a European twist. might be different enough.

They say travel broadens the mind but it doesn't seem to work on people who visit/live in Thailand. Judging from all the glass half empty whinging that goes on on expat Thai forums.

Went to Siam Reap last week, it was $37 to enter Angkor Wat, so I just sat and drank 50c beer and smoked cannabis all week instead. I prefer my mind pickled rather than broadened.

I did take a photo at the entrance though, and a few selfies for facebook.

angor 1a.jpg

My life started as shit, with an alcoholic mother, absent or abusive fathers (several) and a psychotic older sister. I pretty well raised myself as a child, cooking, ironing school clothes, feeding dogs, mowing the lawn (push mower), and cleaning house when still in primary school. I still vividly remember the embarrassment of wearing shoes with holes in the soles to school and having to endure wet smelly socks from walking there on rainy days. Having only one set of school greys also made things difficult.  My negativity and flaws were probably conceived during this part of my existence.

I completed high school and left home at 18, worked in over a dozen jobs including fruit picking, factory work, building sites and roadworks (some of these days I count as part of the good life). 

At age 20 I nearly starved to death in S. Africa after travelling there with some older friends and failing to find work because laboring jobs were non-existent for someone of my complexion.

Returning to Australia, life picked up. I had a girlfriend, played sport to a fairly high level, and found work in an office job in a northern mining town. I subsequently always worked in or from an office. The next several decades were largely good if you don't count my penchant for always picking the wrong ladies in life (they probably felt the same). I ended up in high level, interesting jobs that involved extensive travel, good money and eventual high pension.

I have no relatives left with the death last year of the only cousin I had contact with. I now make my life here in Thailand with a Thai lady and all the travails that come with that.

Unfortunately my long deceased parents were not yet finished with me, as several genetic medical conditions reared their ugly heads and I have spent the last 5 years in a wheelchair. I miss being able to walk, but appreciate my life and surroundings here and wouldn't return to Oz for anything. 

My life has been a mixture. 

For those who think life is what you make it, it helps if you start with good ingredients.

When i read posts like old crocs,i thank my lucky stars that i was born into a loving family,who were not short of a bob or two,had a good education,then lived in London in the swinging 60s,mixing with some great and well known people,then travelled had great girlfriends and wives, even if they did not always last,have two great kids and ,now a wonderful wife as we enter the last part of the journey. Boy was i lucky.
Even the bad bits were good,now where have i heard that before?

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Health is a lottery. The only thing one can do is to pick one's parents well.

you picked your parents???? my cousin kept saying that he saw the light while his mother was giving birth to him, when he realized their looks he asked to be put back in

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you picked your parents???? my cousin kept saying that he saw the light while his mother was giving birth to him, when he realized their looks he asked to be put back in

Sounds like a Les Dawson joke. 555

43 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

When i read posts like old crocs,i thank my lucky stars that i was born into a loving family,who were not short of a bob or two,had a good education,then lived in London in the swinging 60s,mixing with some great and well known people,then travelled had great girlfriends and wives, even if they did not always last,have two great kids and ,now a wonderful wife as we enter the last part of the journey. Boy was i lucky.
Even the bad bits were good,now where have i heard that before?

Maybe the ones who experienced really hard times, enjoy life and small things more than those who is borned with a silverspoon in their butts? Who knows what truly feeling of love and happiness is? I think I know, and it comes and goes, with some incredible highs, and some deep deep lows. But the rollecoaster always turn upwards again, so here we go again, fasten your seatbelts, it over before the skinny lady sings sour????

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Which is of course BS.

How good can you make it if you have cancer/spina bifida, etc.

I have had prostate cancer for 10 years, and I now have arrhythmia, diabetes, spinal stenosis, diabetes , and lung disease. I am nearly 88. I enjoy life here in Thailand because the people are so friendly. I need a wheelchair now and again , and there's always people to help me with a big smile. I have a fantastic live-in help and a Thai wife for 46 years. Life is what you make it

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

life is only as good as you make it.... keep in mind we only have one thus enjoy to the max

Unless your part feline or get resurrection from the ice demon on Game of Thrones.

Oh, and the zombie apocalypse option is a possibility too...

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

life is only as good as you make it

Probably come as a surprise for people who are denied the chance to make themselves a happy life ... Syrians and most Venezuelans as well as those born with significant physical handicaps come to mind. 

I've had a fairly decent life, maybe to some extent due to my own efforts, but also in part attributable to the luck of the draw.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

For those who think life is what you make it, it helps if you start with good ingredients.

As a child, I saw my neighbors child beaten black and blue most weeks. It got reported to the police but the guy's brother was a big cop in our area and nothing got done until one night the wife took a shotgun and shot her husband in the head. I was one the first on the scene and the image pretty well stayed with me on how something can go terribly wrong. 

I think I learned early on then how important the parents were and I never gave my parents any grief and I ended up okay. The funny part is before the age of 14, I had three of my playmates die and it was the start of a long road of depression. Didn't help much that I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder but sometimes I think maybe so much grief at such a young age turned something on in my head that could not be turned off again. 

I will agree that the ingredients are very important as stability and love do go a long way to making a happier life. 

had a great life, one regret, although i am not bitter about it, i wished i never got married.

i married the wrong woman for the wrong reason and broke that poor woman heart.

i was too young and too stupid to understand that sort of commitment.

i would never marry again.

3 minutes ago, catman20 said:

had a great life, one regret, although i am not bitter about it, i wished i never got married.

i married the wrong woman for the wrong reason and broke that poor woman heart.

i was too young and too stupid to understand that sort of commitment.

i would never marry again.

I'm not as bright as you.  I married 3 wrong ones in a row.  I should have stayed in Thailand when I first got here in 68 instead of going back West and getting screwed so many times.  I probably would have been screwed here too but it would have cost less and been more fun. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm not as bright as you.  I married 3 wrong ones in a row.  I should have stayed in Thailand when I first got here in 68 instead of going back West and getting screwed so many times.  I probably would have been screwed here too but it would have cost less and been more fun. 

some people learn quicker than others. one time was enough for me to relies the whole marriage thing is a scam set up by governments and women. im a quick learner when it comes to carving up MY money ????

22 hours ago, Mavideol said:

life is only as good as you make it.... keep in mind we only have one thus enjoy to the max

this quote sums things up perfectly----some people have misfortune, due to ill health or accident...

basicly--'we reap what we sow'.....

in my situation --i spent far too much of my life working--40yrs + doing 80++ hrs per week.

its never worth sacrificing this much of your life....

fortunately- at 68yrs, i still have excellent health, good investments, good family..no wife and ample funds to enjoy a good retirement in thailand

Life has been a really interesting journey for me, I can honestly say I have no regrets because my life has been just that, a journey, up mountains and down mountains, and everyone has their own journeys.

Have always had good friends to have a laugh with, lost my best friends early at 27 & 44, there deaths really shook me up as they both had diseases, the big C, my oldest brother passed from drinking too much hardcore alcohol at 49, it was really sad because none of us could bring him around, although we tried, and I accepted his death far more easier than my best friends deaths as they didn't have a choice, and my brother is better off where he is now, as opposed to the way he was living, really sad to say, and I miss him dearly, but trust me, it was hell the way he was living, so he is at peace now, and I hope to see him again somewhere in another life.

Wasn't born into a family of wealth by far, the opposite, got married to a spoilt Princess at 26 and the married was set to be a failure from the start, long of the short her old man through her out when he found out she was dating and she ended up on my doorstep, so I couldn't really tell her to go as she didn't have anywhere else to go, so you could say I got sucked in...lol, I endured her for 12 years until she left me with our daughter of 18 months, now 22 and we have always gotten on, with the daughter that is, but I cannot blame her mother for anything as it takes two to Tango, as the saying goes, and her leaving the marriage meant she set me on my path to meet the freedom and to mee the love of my life, my Thai wife who I have been married to for 12 years, never thought I would remarry after the 1st marriage, but it was as if I went from driving an old VW beetle to a Rolls Royce, we really enjoy each others company and we are not in each others pockets, in other words, she is not insecure, we have two young daughter from our marriage who we adore, but don't spoil them, so life changed big time when I met her for the better.

Heart attack at 47 due to what I believe was a stressful job that just wanted more and more out of me and it would have been too hard to change career paths, one stent later and good as gold, although wouldn't recommend trying to score 4 goals with someone 21 years your junior in the one day ????

Retired to rural Thailand 3 years ago at 55, that was planned a decade earlier, investing in real estate made years prior from hard work paid off and now living life how it should be, stress free and not having to think about money.

What next, just taking it day by day, eating well, exercising and entertaining the occasional filly every now and again, because I can ????

Life's sure is great if you have your health, love from family and good friends, oh having money does help too.

To end: Just remember, we are not living, we are dying, make of that what you will.

Archived