Have you had a good life?

ivor bigun

19 hours ago, Pharoticus said:

This. Perfect. Very true.

There are lots of idiots on these forums who talk too much about how ideal their lives are. And therein of course lies the truth.

If you have a life worth calling a life, you certainly won't discuss it with anonymous strangers on the internet.

Oh really, I do, nothing wrong being an open book, unless you've got something to hide or are worried others are going to have a go.

Whatever, each to their own mate !

• Like 2

23 hours ago, wgdanson said:

When I tell people i was a pro musician they say 'All your life'. I reply 'Not Yet'. 

12 years as a single guy working in Scandinavia, Germany & Switzerland in hotels & nightclubs.

14 years running my own hotel as manager/chef with my lovely young wife and still singing with her.

Two wonderful boys now singing and drumming in Dubai. Sadly wife died.

10 years here in Thaialnd, 6 years in Pattaya singing and guitaring. Last 4 years up here in P'lok doing f....al....

YES. I have had a very good, healthy, satisfying life. If I get 10 more years I shall be so happy.....and broke!

Transam likes to sing, maybe you and him could start a duo. ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

this quote sums things up perfectly----some people have misfortune, due to ill health or accident...

basicly--'we reap what we sow'.....

in my situation --i spent far too much of my life working--40yrs + doing 80++ hrs per week.

its never worth sacrificing this much of your life....

fortunately- at 68yrs, i still have excellent health, good investments, good family..no wife and ample funds to enjoy a good retirement in thailand

nice post, as i am sure you will agree no about of money can buy time. i reliesed that at 40 and retired.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Would you discuss it with millions of strangers you had never met like Winston Churchill?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill_as_writer

How about Benjamin Franklin or Gandhi, Mandela and Bill Gates?  They all wrote at length about their lives. 

I know you are trying to make all of the posters who discuss their lives feel like idiots but in fact they are in the company of the best minds the world has ever known. 

I'm sorry but you've completely missed the point.

The writers you refer to were invited by publishers to discuss their lives because they had accomplished truly great things.

The publishers figured that readers would be prepared to PAY to read about these men.

Notice the word PAY.

You'll often find little boys on forums who invite you to believe their little lives are perfect. It's very sad and very transparent.

If you're busy leading a life worth calling a life, you'll be too busy enjoying it to discuss it on silly forums.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pharoticus said:

I'm sorry but you've completely missed the point.

The writers you refer to were invited by publishers to discuss their lives because they had accomplished truly great things.

The publishers figured that readers would be prepared to PAY to read about these men.

Notice the word PAY.

You'll often find little boys on forums who invite you to believe their little lives are perfect. It's very sad and very transparent.

If you're busy leading a life worth calling a life, you'll be too busy enjoying it to discuss it on silly forums.

Interesting if true but it's not.  The authors wrote an autobiography and went in search of a publisher and in some cases published it themselves and in some cases information was gathered after the authors had died and published then from the voluminous works they had written about themselves while alive. 

Most great men have been prodigious writers about themselves.  You probably should have gone to college and might have learned some of this stuff. 

You could google 100 notable men who have written about themselves or 5 Celebrity Wikipedia Entries They Clearly Wrote Themselves. 

I could guess about you.  UK factory worker, online relationship with Thai girl, planning a visit to Thailand in 3 years if the currency gets 100% better? 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Interesting if true but it's not.  The authors wrote an autobiography and went in search of a publisher and in some cases published it themselves and in some cases information was gathered after the authors had died and published then from the voluminous works they had written about themselves while alive. 

Most great men have been prodigious writers about themselves.  You probably should have gone to college and might have learned some of this stuff. 

I quite enjoy reading honest accounts of people’s lives, whether accomplished or not. You can learn a great deal by their mistakes. The one’s that are most interesting are those nearing the end of their lives, you’ll get some real honesty and wisdom from those people. Steve Jobs (not a particularly kind human being) gave a great speech about life near the end ... well worth a listen to for anyone who is apprehensive about trying new things and pursuing goals. 

• Thanks 1

I was walking through a supermarket one day and this lady says to me, "You must be happy."

"Why?" I asked.

"Your whistling." she responded.

and in that moment I realized I was very happy. 

My life has been fun travelling the world, surfing, acting, married a few times, and now coming up on 75 next month, and living with a wonderfully funny and smart Thai lady and her two boys 8 and 12. My life is better now than I could have ever imagined.

And as for only living once.....wait till you die and find out it doesn't end there, but continues on but even better, unless you are one of the bad guys and have spent your life f^*€I got over people.....then good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

We have this 70+ year guy living in our condominium with his 30 year younger gf. He came over and told me how lucky he was, and how life turnaround for him, when he met this wonderful wonderful woman. At the same time I overheard his gf talking to my gf, and from what I could understand, it was a totally different story, and I got it confirmed later on. 

So, I guess happiness is just for some, and not all. They still together a year after, but she continue to move out, and come back when i beg long enough. He still happy thow when I see him, and due to his own statement. 

From his point of view, it is a good exchange. Low cost and a young lady. From her point of view, maybe financial trade off ain’t that great and the sex life may not even be exciting... so she may even be on the lookout for a new bf while still hanging around the guy. The guy just had to be introspective if the relationship ends sooner than expected. It was good while it last. 

Interesting posts, whether fact or fiction from all ,especially those with great live expectations when already in their 70’s and 80’s. This proves that Thailand is still a great place for living life in your later years. I am already almost 60 years old so reading about all those people with a great lifestyle choice in ther autumn years is a great inspiration to emulate. Thanks for sharing . 

• Like 1

I’m 41 now and if I died tomorrow I wouldn’t be disappointed tbh

I feel that I’ve lived my life in my teens and have experienced a huge amount, good and bad and I did everything to the absolute maximum I could. 

I had a rough childhood (by my standards). Broken home, violent dad, rough brother and no real dircectiin. Lucky I had a super mom. 

Started clubbing and drinking at 14. Decent but not oustsvduhg student. Morbidly obese by 23. 

A work life consisting of supermarkets, retail, fast food, truck driving, night clubs and whatever. 

Party drugs, fast cars, faster women and general shenanigans. OD’d once, arrested twice (charged and bailed) and a few pretty serious car accidents. 

Generally no direction until at the age of 27 I went bsck to school, requalified, got a trade and moved to the city. 

Within 5 years I was making in excess of $150Kaud a year, travelling the world, getting married and purchased my first home. 

Then em I had an almost life ending accident. Coma, 4 months in hospital and life long disabilities. No longer able to work, split with my fiancée and nearly lost my house. 

Now im living in Pattaya and life is absolutely fantastic. It’s been a tough road at times but I absolutely wouldn’t change a single day, even the awful ones when I didn’t know if I was dead or alive. 

Life is absolutely what you what you make it whether you’re 100% healthy or not. It sure beats the alternative 

To the OP. Great post! I’ve nevee seen so much positivity from nearly all commenters on a thread in TV. It’s actuslly quite heart warming. 
Great job!
Thanks,as i said i did it on a whim,i have had quite a good and very very varied life,and was just interested.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

That kind of defeats the purpose of social media doesn’t it? 

Whether true or not it’s a great outlet for people. It can be lifesaving at best, just a rubbish dribble at worst but mostly in between. 

While I respect your opinion I do think it’s wrong 

Yes, social media can be a great outlet for lonely, socially disenfranchised people. Examples:

1. Here's what I had for breakfast

2. Here's the latest photo of my cat

3. See how I've just re-decorated my wall!!

Loneliness. There are lots of very lonely westerners in Thailand. And very many of them exist in states of denial.

if you are in Thailand, you probably didn't have a good life.  the stigma of being a sex tourist, drunk, no money......it probably wears on a lot of people.  nobody back home will respect you, unless you give them money to be quiet.  you don't speak Thai, so good friends are limited.  i would never retire here, but i like to visit, have fun, go home.  but when everyone asks, 'oh, are you a sex tourist?'  it's funny.   and the air pollution will kill you, and the roads will kill you....so if you had a good life, why not be in a better place?  couldn't have been that good, you just lowered your life standards.   i'm not old enough to be bitter...it's funny to me.  but i feel bad for the delusional jokers.  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 9:20 PM, grollies said:

So you really rubbed his nose in it then? 

Some people have good lives yet complain all the time. Some have crap lives but are still happy.

So the key to happiness is low standards. Put that in a book.

24 minutes ago, Pharoticus said:

Yes, social media can be a great outlet for lonely, socially disenfranchised people. Examples:

1. Here's what I had for breakfast

2. Here's the latest photo of my cat

3. See how I've just re-decorated my wall!!

Loneliness. There are lots of very lonely westerners in Thailand. And very many of them exist in states of denial.

Millions of lonely old people in western countries sitting in retirement homes or living by themselves.

Some cultures look after the elders but lots of westerners don't.

• Like 2