Tragedy after "forgetful maid" left her 6 year old in room on Pattaya condo's 32nd floor

webfact

1 hour ago, jm91 said:

The real shame is the posters here are so nasty and judgmental of people. 

To be honest, it's extremely difficult not to feel judgmental reading such heartbreaking news.

On Thaivisa.com we read news on a daily basis of such tragic and avoidable incidents where innocent minors have been neglected through simple ignorance - the juxtaposition between the lives or our children vs those in these reports is astonishing and overwhelming....  for many of us its difficult to reconcile the idea of leaving our most precious and valuable of life's gifts unsupervised anywhere.... 

These events truly are tragic and heartbreaking, primarily because they are so avoidable - I wish the authorities considered it of far greater importance to educate folk of the risks they commonly are exposing their children too... be it on a motorcycle, playing next to a road, near water etc or in this case a high building... 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To be honest, it's extremely difficult not to feel judgmental reading such heartbreaking news.

On Thaivisa.com we read news on a daily basis of such tragic and avoidable incidents where innocent minors have been neglected through simple ignorance - the juxtaposition between the lives or our children vs those in these reports is astonishing and overwhelming....  for many of us its difficult to reconcile the idea of leaving our most precious and valuable of life's gifts unsupervised anywhere.... 

These events truly are tragic and heartbreaking, primarily because they are so avoidable - I wish the authorities considered it of far greater importance to educate folk of the risks they commonly are exposing their children too... be it on a motorcycle, playing next to a road, near water etc or in this case a high building... 

You and the other posters on this website do not know the circumstances that lead to the tragedies you describe. 

Most of the people here have led comfortable lives - working or middle class lives that were reasonably well paid. 

What is the minimum wage in Thailand? 300 baht a day? That is probably the wage these women are making. 

So I find it sad that someone feels the need to mock and belittle a poor women who just lost her child while on a 300 baht a day job. I hear from the poster here that the woman must be some horrible person because obviously she is a horrible person because her child died..etc.. OK yea yea..she left the child unattended. Well do you know how much she is working? I don't. Do you know the circumstances of why she brought her child to work? I don't. Do you know if she has someone to take care of her child? I don't. 

Get some sympathy from somewhere. 

2 hours ago, jm91 said:

You and the other posters on this website do not know the circumstances that lead to the tragedies you describe. 

But we are still allowed to discuss this on Thaivisa, no reason to personally attack other members. 

No we do not know the circumstances, all we know is the kid dropped down from 32nd floor. And the mother was not there when it happened.  I have seen too many deadly accidents who could have been avoided in this country. Sure lets blame it on Thais are poor people on low salaries and not educated. 

But if you want to see changes it has to start somewhere,  I already said RIP and I give my condolences . 

3 hours ago, jm91 said:

Most of the people here have led comfortable lives - working or middle class lives that were reasonably well paid. 

What is the minimum wage in Thailand? 300 baht a day? That is probably the wage these women are making. 

So I find it sad that someone feels the need to mock and belittle a poor women who just lost her child while on a 300 baht a day job. I hear from the poster here that the woman must be some horrible person because obviously she is a horrible person because her child died..etc.. OK yea yea..she left the child unattended. Well do you know how much she is working? I don't. Do you know the circumstances of why she brought her child to work? I don't. Do you know if she has someone to take care of her child? I don't. 

Get some sympathy from somewhere. 

Do you know if this tragedy could have been avoided with greater care? I do !

No one is mocking or belittling the poor mother. Personally, I feel a gut-wrenching ache when I read such news stories... However, the child was supposedly under parental supervision, no excuse can diminish the absent mindedness of someone who forgets where they left their child, or leaves a child unattended next to the balcony of a high-rise.

There is no criticism of why she had to bring her child to work, the criticism is of her negligence in supervising her child, which in some countries would be considered criminal. 

I'm also quite sure no one is unsympathetic... that we feel terribly about this and can't even begin to comprehend the turmoil and mental torture the mother is having to endure does not make what has happened acceptable and high-emotions should not knee-cap common sense and discussion, for this is a discussion forum.... every poster could simply write RIP and keep their opinions to themselves... but then you would have nothing to express your 'faux-outrage' against until you've forgotten about it tomorrow.... 

6 hours ago, mok199 said:
7 hours ago, balo said:

The mother should be ashamed of herself , now she got the ultimate penalty , the loss of her daughter.  Nothing can change that. RIP. 

I read a 4 year beautiful girl old just drowned in Prachin Burii ,,mabey you can Judge and condem that mother ....wise ass

Would you judge a parent if you saw them neglecting to supervise their child and nothing happened?...   Most would have some thought about that and feel quite judgmental. 

So, why, when something tragic happens do you think it unacceptable to pass the same degree of judgement? should empathy for tragic events wipe the 'judgement slate' clean?

These avoidable tragedies occur because people have failed. 

In your example I would judge whoever was in charge of supervising the child who drowned. Yes, we don't know the circumstances...  I can guarantee these same parents wouldn't leave 1million baht sitting around unsupervised, so why is it socially acceptable to leave children unsupervised here?.... 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you know if this tragedy could have been avoided with greater care? I do !

No one is mocking or belittling the poor mother. Personally, I feel a gut-wrenching ache when I read such news stories... However, the child was in the care of an elder an no excuse which can diminish the absent mindedness of someone who forgets where they left their child, or leaves a child unattended next the balcony of a high-rise.

There is no criticism of why she had to bring her child to work, the criticism is of her negligence in supervising her child, which in some countries would be considered criminal. 

I'm also quite sure no one is unsympathetic... that we feel terribly about this and can't even begin to comprehend the turmoil and mental torture the mother is having to endure does not make what has happened acceptable and high-emotions should not knee-cap common sense and discussion - for, this is a discussion forum.... every poster could simply write RIP and keep their opinions to themselves... but then you would have nothing to express your 'faux-outrage' against until you've forgotten about it tomorrow.... 

No it is real outrage at how heartless some of the posters are on this website. 

I am quite certain many of the posters here are unsympathetic - based on their comments. 

I see judgement about what the poor woman should have done - I see very little sympathy. 

I don't know why it happened but not everyone has the resources to have child care, etc. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would you judge a parent if you saw them neglecting to supervise their them and nothing happened?...   Most would have some thought about that. 

So, why, when something tragic happens do you think it unacceptable to pass the same degree of judgement? should empathy for tragic events wipe the 'judgement slate' clean?

In your example I would judge whoever was in charge of supervising the child who drowned. Yes, we don't know the circumstances...  I can guarantee these same parents wouldn't leave 1million baht sitting around unsupervised, so why is it socially acceptable to leave children unsupervised here?.... 

Some people are POOR. Some people have to work for a living and don't have family or friends to help them out. 

I hear people on the site slamming a poor woman who lost her child. 

Few people in the world want to lose their children. So MAYBE MAYBE there were situational factors that led to the tragedy. MAYBE the woman is not a stupid CXNT  - MAYBE we don't know and can not judge. 

42 minutes ago, balo said:

But we are still allowed to discuss this on Thaivisa, no reason to personally attack other members. 

No we do not know the circumstances, all we know is the kid dropped down from 32nd floor. And the mother was not there when it happened.  I have seen too many deadly accidents who could have been avoided in this country. Sure lets blame it on Thais are poor people on low salaries and not educated. 

But if you want to see changes it has to start somewhere,  I already said RIP and I give my condolences . 

Every deadly accident could have been avoided in every country around the world ... hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it’s not the reality of life. 

15 minutes ago, jm91 said:

No it is real outrage at how heartless some of the posters are on this website. 

I am quite certain many of the posters here are unsympathetic - based on their comments. 

I see judgement about what the poor woman should have done - I see very little sympathy. 

I don't know why it happened but not everyone has the resources to have child care, etc. 

They have a PhD in Hindsight. And in their personal lives they never err, anticipating every negative eventuality and skilfully avoiding them. So they can’t quite understand how other people can’t be like them?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would you judge a parent if you saw them neglecting to supervise their child and nothing happened?...   Most would have some thought about that and feel quite judgmental. 

Blame , judgement , advice and a lecture to soften the words.......

5 hours ago, balo said:

''A kid dropped down from the 32 floor''.....your compassion is touching

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Blame , judgement , advice, followed by the compassionate old soap box lecture...surely what the mother needs NOW,,my advice to you is ''if you have nothing kind to say ''...well you now the rest....

13 hours ago, doremifasol said:

The hotel is understaffed so the maid is overworked.

The school is understaffed so the teachers are overworked.

The hospital is understaffed so the doctors and nurses are overworked.

The list could go on and on....... 

In Thailand one generally finds four people doing one person's job. Stress or burnout seem very unlikely to me.

20 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Its perplexing how you can take your kid to work and forget you have for an hour and a half but she will have to live with that amnesia RIP

So many mothers through out the world do that because they are unfortunate to have not won a genetic lottery by being not born in a high wage country. It's so sad.

54 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Blame , judgement , advice, followed by the compassionate old soap box lecture...surely what the mother needs NOW,,my advice to you is ''if you have nothing kind to say ''...well you now the rest....

You seem to be under some illusion that the comments on this forum are to be passed on to the mother....  What the mother needs now she is not going to get from this forum or from anyones RIP comments... The mother is not going to be reading this so any comments made are wholly irrelevant from that perspective....   on a forum designed solely around discussion... 

"If you have nothing kind to say......." - I've not 'said' anything...  If I were to meet the mother I would feel so awful for her I wouldn't know what to 'say'. However, on a forum designed around discussion this issue is not knee-capped by the need for sensitivity, it can be discussed with more candor... some may not appreciate this and consider that we should only write something kind, an RIP comment or two... however, a child has died because of a lack of supervision... I feel terrible for the mother, but as a stranger and an onlooker there is nothing kind to write about this...  and well, the 'not bothering at all' part kind of defeats the object of a web-forum... 

Maybe the 'mother' was engaged in some horizontal activity in order to boost her cleaning salary?
Personally I would class it as highly inappropriate behaviour leaving a child unattended in someones condo under any circumstances. Quite bizare behaviour.
You only have to walk around to see bizarre behaviour happening.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A shame the mother wasn't "gifted" with the brains to take responsibility of her own precious daughter.

It is a pity she had no alternative but to bring her child to work with her. That is a double whammy as likely needs the income, but has nobody to help her care for the child. 

It is common in Thailand, even if I have some work done at the house sometimes, especially at weekend, a woman brings a child and my first temptation is to refuse, but what choice has she. As I have a pool I then spend the day keeping an eye out!

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You seem to be under some illusion that the comments on this forum are to be passed on to the mother....  What the mother needs now she is not going to get from this forum or from anyones RIP comments... The mother is not going to be reading this so any comments made are wholly irrelevant from that perspective....   on a forum designed solely around discussion... 

"If you have nothing kind to say......." - I've not 'said' anything...  If I were to meet the mother I would feel so awful for her I wouldn't know what to 'say'. However, on a forum designed around discussion this issue is not knee-capped by the need for sensitivity, it can be discussed with more candor... some may not appreciate this and consider that we should only write something kind, an RIP comment or two... however, a child has died because of a lack of supervision... I feel terrible for the mother, but as a stranger and an onlooker there is nothing kind to write about this...  and well, the 'not bothering at all' part kind of defeats the object of a web-forum... 

yada yada I wont waste the time reading your post.looks likes like more soap box grandstanding ..but...Iradha's service is at Wat Trumsamukii....if you are in Pattaya...have a good one sir

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is a pity she had no alternative but to bring her child to work with her. That is a double whammy as likely needs the income, but has nobody to help her care for the child. 

It is common in Thailand, even if I have some work done at the house sometimes, especially at weekend, a woman brings a child and my first temptation is to refuse, but what choice has she. As I have a pool I then spend the day keeping an eye out!

She may have had to take the child to work , but she didnt have to leave the child alone in a room on the 32 nd floor though , especially if the room has windows that can be opened

20 hours ago, Kim J said:

Maybe the 'mother' was engaged in some horizontal activity in order to boost her cleaning salary?

Personally I would class it as highly inappropriate behaviour leaving a child unattended in someones condo under any circumstances. Quite bizare behaviour.

Your pathetic attempt at humour is sad......

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

She may have had to take the child to work , but she didnt have to leave the child alone in a room on the 32 nd floor though , especially if the room has windows that can be opened

We just came back from the temple where she is lying ,the child is a beautiful talented girl who made a tragic mistake...the grandmother ( who was cleaning the rooms) is in shock and grieving ,as is the rest of the family, they must live with this forever.... Tragic just Tragic.....for the record ,the girl was ill and didn't sleep well the night before , while at work with her granny( as it was sunday),she took a Tylenol and fell asleep, while granny was doing the room, granny let her sleep as she was so tired,and went to tidy up another room in the 30th floor...the girl woke up delirious and confussed and alone ( I am guessing) the rest is history..have a good one sanemax...

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

We just came back from the temple where she is lying ,the child is a beautiful talented girl who made a tragic mistake...the grandmother ( who was cleaning the rooms) is in shock and grieving ,as is the rest of the family, they must live with this forever.... Tragic just Tragic.....for the record ,the girl was ill and didn't sleep well the night before , while at work with her granny( as it was sunday),she took a Tylenol and fell asleep, while granny was doing the room, granny let her sleep as she was so tired,and went to tidy up another room in the 30th floor...the girl woke up delirious and confussed and alone ( I am guessing) the rest is history..have a good one sanemax...

May i politely enquire, Whilst you were at the temple & gleamed all your information did you respctfully ask where Gifts mother was at the time of the tragedy?. There are conflicting reports as to her wherabouts & activities therefore you maybe able to put the record straight, as it were, for some members. 

17 minutes ago, LoS itaint said:

May i politely enquire, Whilst you were at the temple & gleamed all your information did you respctfully ask where Gifts mother was at the time of the tragedy?. There are conflicting reports as to her wherabouts & activities therefore you maybe able to put the record straight, as it were, for some members. 

6 posts ...and counting...

Asleep?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

35 minutes ago, Kim J said:

It is most certainly not humour and was never intended to be. I will refer you to my post No 51 in this thread, and you are indeed one of the vast majority here posting utter drivel, based upon your own perceptions rather than fact. Indeed not dissimilar to the article being discussed.

and I quote ''mabey the mother was engaged in some ''horizontal activity to boost her income''.....that is your pathetic attempt to be cool and funny ,your right about one thing it was most certainly not humour..and that's a fact sir..

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, hotchilli said:

A shame the mother wasn't "gifted" with the brains to take responsibility of her own precious daughter.

wow that is clever how you used the dead childs name to put down the grieving mother, and attempt to be funny at the same time .......I have a little advice for you DON'T TRY AND BE CLEVER OR FUNNY ..

A long time ago, I was in Sainsbury’s with my 4 YO daughter, and was holding her hand all through the shop… right up until I came to the frozen fish, and started digging around to find the best rainbow trout.

When I found what I thought was the best and came back up for air, my daughter was not still by my side – she had wandered off.

I literally ran around all the shelves, and found her in the care of one of the shop staff. I was berated and made to feel so shameful, and I really did feel so bad.

Not anywhere near as extreme as this poor lady, but the anxiety I felt was almost unbearable.

A moment’s inattention or lack of thought can bring very bad consequences.

RIP little girl, and I hope the mother’s heart can heal.

Archived