PM Prayut vows to crack the whip over pollution

webfact

Get used to it Smog is here to stay, Pulling I WILL CRACK THE WHIP CARD , will not cut the Mustard total BS 

Start to sack the Minister of Parliament who departments are Responsible that are causing  Pollution.

Maybe start to put some of the Mulch from Organic waste back into the ground, that may stop some of the Burning.

Smog in malaysia, Indonesia & Singapore is now getting worse with Burning also taking place down there.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jackspade said:

Prayuth: Why don't you start a public campaign discouraging the ownership of four-wheeled vehicles purely as status symbols. It's not necessary for a person to own 3 Mercedes merely to prove that they matter.

Funny how some prefer to sit idly in traffic stuck for 2 hours a day in their SLK or hired van rather than take the MRT and be at their destination in 30 minutes.

I have neighbours with very expensive new german cars, when they come home they sit on the floor with their back against the sofa and eat somtum...555555

Yes those cars are pure for status, they work (and travel) 100 hours a week for them..have no life at all after work but hey it's all about status innit?

But also the mrt and skytrain are no good, how can you get to the station easy and park there quick? Cannot...so they need motocy parking at every station..a small Scoopy to drive there would be the perfect solution.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In the meantime, he has ordered the Internal Security Operations Command in each province to deploy military officers to inspect the operations of factories in their areas and ensure they were following the pollution emission standards.

If there is not a system already in place for monitoring emissions, or that department is lacking in manpower to carry out their responsibilities, then there is a flaw in the organization. Sending military officers, almost certainly not qualified to judge standards will do nothing.

Well, then the ministers could start with a good example and no longer empty roads by hundreds if not thousands of police officers when they want to race down Sukhumvit with 100+ kmh. Those VIP tunnels create a tremendous backlog of thousands of cars which, in turn, emit much more exhaust fumes by not only waiting but the additional time to get the stand-still moving again. But yeah ...... naaahhh, will not happen; how else would Khon Thai know, how hard the government is working for them.

Alternatively pull out article 44 - problem solved! 

Does anyone know what happened to the fleeet of new cleaner buses? Last I heard they were parked upat a dock- have they been sent back to China?

I remember there was some tax fiddle- but they would have helped. 

All this requires will and  money- other countries have moved on to Hybrid and electric buses 

Another question for you experts out - as a Townie , are the sugar cane fields burnt before harvesting- and why? 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, peterb17 said:

Does anyone know what happened to the fleeet of new cleaner buses? Last I heard they were parked upat a dock- have they been sent back to China?

All this requires will and  money- other countries have moved on to Hybrid and electric buses 

Another question for you experts out - as a Townie , are the sugar cane fields burnt before harvesting- and why? 

Thanks 

Maybe the instruction manuals, usually packed in brown manila envelopes, where missing or not elaborate enough? 

4 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Thanks 

Last i heard about them buses is that 100 are on the road now in BKK....nobody here has ever seen them though.

2 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Scientist have tested the air and report 96.46% of the pollutants are coming from Prayuths mouth. 

That's a bit harsh. I know Prayuth's all BS and definitely a big contributing factor, but I'm pretty sure there are also other harmful prawiticles floating around that can be thanked for the abysmal quality of air.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...I don’t mean to cause inconvenience to people, but we need public participation to solve the problem,” he said..."

NOW you ask for public participation??? NOW???

You launched a coup and took away the Thai people's right to participate in their own affairs for over FOUR YEARS, and NOW you want cooperation? Can I suggest that you trade in your limo? And, all of your fellow Cabinet members trade in their government cars as an example? And all your military appointees to 'Independent' agencies also trade in their government vehicles? Lead by example? Then, you can ask for participation.

Weapons-grade hypocrisy...

By a weapons-grade hypocrite.

I understand very well what you mean and for a big part i back you up but i also think that them not driving their cars will not make any difference because their cars are not polluting they should stop the big construction companies with their trucks that have a bigger exhaust pipe then many sewer pipes in the ground and stop the government busses that blow out the black smoke maybe they should start to put some money in having the public transport renewed cleaner busses and stop building more and more skytrain

Tracks because they might be cleaner then busses and cars but thats not the reason why they build them they just build them to move the money to the big companies owned by friends same as the public transport busses owned by government driving around like they own the road going left and right start to clean up their own shit before asking the public who already dont have to much money to buy a cleaner newer car help them by giving them a good price for their old cars so they can get a good deal on buying a newer and cleaner one 

4 hours ago, sgoodes said:

They can also start by prosecuting the lazy farmers for burning the sugar cane. 3 weeks ago there was 210,000 sugar cane fires burning across Thailand without a care for anybody's health.

The farmers know it is illegal to burn yet year after year they flout the law and get away with it. 

The co-ops came out publicly and stated that they would no longer accept burnt cane but it remains to be seen how serious they are.

Every day I read the news makes me angrier and angrier that the government is sugar coating this issue with their crazy solutions when people are getting sicker every day.

I suffered a severe chest infection a few weeks back, ended up in hospital and had no choice but to leave Thailand early for work and go to Perth to see my GP. By the time I got to Perth, the chest infection became a full blown asthma attack and for the next 2 weeks I was on double doses of Cortico Steroids to keep my windpipe clear. 3 weeks later I'm starting to come good but I'm concerned that when I get back to Thailand on the 23rd Feb, it's going to start all over again. 

I've made plans to go to the country and get out of the foul air but there's no guarantee it will be any better anywhere I go. 

One positive to come out of this is it has hit the world stage and the world is watching. BKK's economy has reportedly taken a 3 billion baht hit and it will get bigger as the tourists stay away. Maybe thats what needs to happen for this show boating government to take it seriously. 

I'd put money on the fact that this time next year we'll all be repeating ourselves as nothing will be done.

Sorry to say but if you really think the burning of sugarcain is the problem ????

Giving our the masks that do nothing to protect from 2.5 particles. All those people and kids on picture with just regular hospital masks. Crazy, thing is this issue could have been tackled 4 years ago, instead waiting for the last moment. 

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just wondering, is there any solid specific detail about the cause of the pollution?

sugarcane burning, charcoal manufacture, rubbish burning, forests burning. Been fighting kanchanaburi officials for about 4yrs they say thais have been burning sht needlessly for centuries so they wont act. Its culture. Seriously! They are so ignorant. I send pm2.5readings of 500+ basically daily to officials yet it gets worse!

If the "Traffic Police " had mufti vehicles they could get rid of thousands of black smoke belching

vehicles a day, but the problem is "without fear or favour" & I fear that will never happen.

A good freight train service to Laem Chabang deep sea port would take hundreds of these 

belchers off the road as well but again, who owns the trucking companies,,,,,, silly me

Umm.  Where's the whip cracking?  He may do this.  He may do that.  He doesn't want to give a bitter pill.  He may have to give a bitter pill.  Blah. Blah. Blah.  Meanwhile, he's not doing anything.  May have to ban diesel vehicles.  Should have been done years ago.  Any mention of all the burning that is one of the major causes of the pollution?  I didn't see any--just a lot of blaming of the people and a good deal of whining.  And more talk, talk, talk, no action.  As always, rinse and repeat tomorrow.

OK, let me try to make an attempt to interpret his statements. I believe what he is saying is:

I will pray for the pollution to disappear, in much the same way I prayed for the recent typhoon to weaken, which as you all know, it did, due to my efforts. I have a personal connection, and can use my tremendous power and focus, to attract the attention of the elements. I hold sway over land and sea, and the air, so when I ask, it gets done. This is real, people, and all the people of Thailand must believe this. They must know who they are dealing with. I am no ordinary man. 

Besides, when the population becomes aware of my powers, they might have more of an inclination to vote me back in!

Prayut vows this, Prayut vows that. Instead of this spraying water nonsense, he might just as well go and order the whole junta to go stand in line and start pissing the wind to get rid of the problem, that would be just as good as anything he has done for anything he has vowed to fix in the past 5 years (i.e. just making things worse). 

The most they'll achieve is to push out this mumbo-jumbo about legal consequences and fines for people driving smoking piece-of-s*** rustbuckets around but in practise there are absolutely no real consequences due to brown envelopes flying around or convenient on-the-spot cash disbursements to people who are supposed to enforce this. If we're really lucky, we'll get an article about tens of poor low income nonames being busted for driving such vehicles (all for the sake of publicity) and after that the issue is deemed solved and government boasts itself as the hero of the day.

"We are fixing the problem! What else do you want from me? Don't you want the problem to be fixed?"

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

Hope it is not to just show authority. I think the main problem is to go 100% after the vehicles pumping the black smoke out the vehicles. Mainly busses and transport wagons.

never mind, do not want to upset the public. A lot of privat cars belch black smoke out, control the police, they will stop the vehicals, hand out, 500 fine and off they go.

advertise easy numbers to call to report farmers burning grass ect, vehicles belching black smoke.

The biggest prob will be getting the officials to get off their bums and investigate the calls. But, same problem next year and the years after.

I have a 7 yr old BT- Turbo diesel, never blows dark smoke.

Not blowing black or dark smoke is from a number of issues and vehicle maintenance is primarily the cause of the smoke. I used to drive a number of diesel trucks and never had an issue with dark/black smoke coming out as well

Gee I hope he has some good ideas.

Thinking back to past very serious problems, some of the suggestions were hilarious.

There was the politician that suggested turning all traffic lights to GREEN to fix the traffic congestion.

There was a water shortage decade or so ago & another politician suggested closing down the "soapies" (massage parlours) for a while. 

6 hours ago, neeray said:

I think he could create "wind" easily and naturally.

And he can make good use of the hated 44 to deal with this problem (as long as somebody tells him how to deal with it).

Joking apart, I cannot remember a winter with so many windless days. For weeks on end now hardly a zephr has blown to disperse the pollutants in the air of the seaside town where I live

several hundred kilometers south the the wheezing capital.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any reliable source for checking the particulates in the atmosphere here, which is probably why a lot of people now using masks as a pecautionary measure when walking, cycling or riding motorbikes.

One can't help wondering: Is this weird windless weather another manifestation of climate change, or just a one-off freak? I guess only time will tell.

Tanks are black smoke,  belching diesel engined polluters.  So why doesn't he cancel the latest Army order for more ?  No !  Let the people suffer. he has been here for over 4 years and has done nothing about pollution from field burning, cars, diesel trucks and people burning their plastic waste.  Now it is too late.  Now is the time to vote him out forever. He should take the blame, not try to pass the blame to everyone else in the country.

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

responsibility ? thailand ? please

Responsibility is only a word without any meaning in this country , same as SAFETY FIRST cause of very very low education level , the deep sikness of proudness/jealousness hamper all iimprovements / developments in all levels in the country !!!!

Archived