PM Prayut vows to crack the whip over pollution

webfact

1 hour ago, outsider said:

General Knee-Jerk. For the longest time, you gits just talked about it, but nothing is done to combat pollution. Now that the haze/smog is here, it's too late. Even if everybody in Bangkok - and I mean everybody - stopped driving in the city, the smog will not go away overnight. Combating pollution is a long-term effort. You don't get rid of it by taking off your pants and peeing into the air when the smog arrives.

That's part of my question to the experts; is 90% of the smog / pollution just from vehicle exhausts?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, webfact said:

“The problem with PM2.5 is caused by multiple factors, so everyone needs to work together to tackle with these pollution factors and solve the problem at the root,” Prayut said.

How about bringing in an annual emission test for every vehicle on the road, not the standard 5 years between tests as it now stands.

How many miles are clocked up in 5 years, that would get the vast majority of smoke machines out of harms way.

Then tackle the outside burning, be it a factory, company even a temple where cremations take place every day, also farmers should be hit hard for crop burning.

Then monitor every construction site for dust control.

If he's serious about this issue then he has to get tough, no soft measures are going to clear the smog over cities which unlike most problems are invisible this one is there and will stay there for all to see until it's cleaned up!

No smog in Nontaburi where I live. Guess we must have the advantage of a prevailing wind blowing the other way. I must say, I've never been able to spend more than three days in BKK without developing a throat infection. Two packs a day in Nontaburi no problem, 3 days in BKK and I'm f#*@ed.

26 minutes ago, nausea said:

No smog in Nontaburi where I live. Guess we must have the advantage of a prevailing wind blowing the other way. I must say, I've never been able to spend more than three days in BKK without developing a throat infection. Two packs a day in Nontaburi no problem, 3 days in BKK and I'm f#*@ed.

Do you live underground?

OooohhhAhhhh..that’ll do the trick !

His Cracking Whip will Slice through that Rotten Old Smog like a Hot Knife through Butter, just you wait and see, all will be well, everyone can now rest easy and take a deep breath.

What I don't understand: don't they know, how to make rain in this miraculous country?

Why not send up the squadron and seed some clouds?

Hmmmm...seems, that might not work as well, as they always say!

Hmmmmm...weird!

14 hours ago, webfact said:

“Some people have picked the air-pollution issue to criticise the government, but the government insists that we have already implemented all necessary short-term mitigation measures such as spraying water to lower PM2.5 levels and distributing face masks. But people also have a duty to do their part.”

How does spraying water do anything for the pollution?  

Masks?  Does it scare the pollution away?

They are doing nothing.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

PM vows to crack the whip over pollution

Much "whip cracking" and "lip service" will be paid no doubt.  Actual solutions?  :clap2:
"We'll be fixing the air problem right after fixing the flooding problems." 

If Mr. Prayut gets out of town and ventures to the North or Northeast, he'll notice that that entire part of his country now looks like BKK considering the burn season has arrived full force up here in Northern Thailand.  Nobody's gonna see healthy air again until the rains arrive in earnest.  Until then?  He'll be cracking his whip.  <Swish, Crack!>  Ridding Thailand of PM 2.5 one particle at a time.  <Swish, Crack>.

8 minutes ago, Otis Cribelcoblis said:

How does spraying water do anything for the pollution?  

Masks?  Does it scare the pollution away?

They are doing nothing.

Delhi city's air quality index or AQI dropped to 208 from over 400 in the last three days, according Central Pollution Control Board because of rain.

Wearing a facemask appears to abrogate the adverse effects of air pollution on blood pressure and heart rate variability. This simple intervention has the potential to protect susceptible individuals and prevent cardiovascular events in cities with high concentrations of ambient air pollution

https://particleandfibretoxicology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-8977-6-8

N95 refers to a standard developed by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in the US. The mask can filter 95 percent of all particles 0.3 microns and larger in size, therefore including PM2.5 and much smaller particles.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Delhi city's air quality index or AQI dropped to 208 from over 400 in the last three days, according Central Pollution Control Board because of rain.

Wearing a facemask appears to abrogate the adverse effects of air pollution on blood pressure and heart rate variability. This simple intervention has the potential to protect susceptible individuals and prevent cardiovascular events in cities with high concentrations of ambient air pollution

https://particleandfibretoxicology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-8977-6-8

N95 refers to a standard developed by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in the US. The mask can filter 95 percent of all particles 0.3 microns and larger in size, therefore including PM2.5 and much smaller particles.

Neither makes the pollution go away.  Useless.

Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha warned this morning that he might be forced to introduce the odd-even number rule for motorists in Bangkok 

When I lived in Nigeria, many moons ago, they had a problem with massive taffic jams, so they introduced the odd-even rule.  It was not long before most of the population with cars (ie rich) suddenly had 2 cars !   Great for motor companies ????

A good old blast of air through bkk and it'll all be forgotten about in under 24hrs and life will go on.how about everyone in bkk get up in the morning and spray their piss out the window and help save the planet.its not just bkk,im in the jungle and the fields look like they have been napalmed.a couple of friends have drained their pools because of the black snow (soot) raining down daily.anyway nothing will happen as usual.

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

I have neighbours with very expensive new german cars, when they come home they sit on the floor with their back against the sofa and eat somtum...555555

Yes those cars are pure for status, they work (and travel) 100 hours a week for them..have no life at all after work but hey it's all about status innit?

But also the mrt and skytrain are no good, how can you get to the station easy and park there quick? Cannot...so they need motocy parking at every station..a small Scoopy to drive there would be the perfect solution.

That's how I've been getting around Bangkok for the last 5 years. A Click and the MRT/BTS. Never gone wrong.

I had a friend who bought a car here. Just for status, I think. Hated driving and sold it within a year.

So now he feels is the appropriate time to get serious about enforcing anti pollution efforts? The horse got out of the barn quite a while ago, closing the door now is really late. But atlas he is deploying sugar water and molasses to fight the fog....apparently that's the best he's got.

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

That's part of my question to the experts; is 90% of the smog / pollution just from vehicle exhausts?

I'm really no expert on pollution, but I'd venture to say it is ONE of the causes? I just used driving and cars as an example. Many other things cause air pollution, me thinks. Construction, factories/manufacturing, even the lack of green, it seems.

10 minutes ago, outsider said:

I'm really no expert on pollution, but I'd venture to say it is ONE of the causes? I just used driving and cars as an example. Many other things cause air pollution, me thinks. Construction, factories/manufacturing, even the lack of green, it seems.

When even Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi have the same pollution levels as Bangkok, you could conclude cars and factories are not the main culprit. Looking at wind and smoke maps will give you a clue where the pollution comes from.

25 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

When even Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi have the same pollution levels as Bangkok, you could conclude cars and factories are not the main culprit. Looking at wind and smoke maps will give you a clue where the pollution comes from.

Didn't say cars and factories were the main culprits.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:39 AM, webfact said:

He also asked business operators and factory owners to scale down their operations during this time and make sure their facilities met the environmental protection standard.

and here is the problem, lack of environmental standards and 'asking' for compliance. Just like in certain Western countries, it is all about making money and screw the consequences 

Archived