What's the logic of needing 1 year visa to open a bank account?

Had the same problem, I'm married to a Thai been living in the UK, for 9yrs together, wife and kids moved back to Thailand 2ys ago, I have remained in UK as my elderly mum has dementia, so I'm back & forth on tourist visas, my wife has an account at Kasikorn, so I thought to open an account there too, I am wanting to open an account with a view to depositing the required amount of money to qualify for a marriage visa, but find myself in a catch 22 situation, I need 400,000 in the account but because I don't have the required visa or work permit I can't open an account, the teller said something about going to the immigration at jomtien pay 100bht for something? But I didn't understand what she meant, was just going round in circles, can anyone explain what she was trying to tell me or advise as to how I  can get an account, 

the teller said something about going to the immigration at jomtien pay 100bht for something? But I didn't understand what she meant, was just going round in circles, can anyone explain what she was trying to tell me or advise as to how I  can get an account, 

Depends what she said but often you need a residence certificate from immigration which costs 300 baht, she might have meant that. Doesn't get over the visa issue. For you its probably better to try many branches, Bangkok Bank maybe best (was Kasikorn), if all else fails go to an agent who should be able to set up for circ 4k

On 1/31/2019 at 12:14 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Banks usually require a Non-O visa (single or multi).

A standard Non-O single (3 months) should be sufficient.

You mix up the terms visa and one year extension.

Opening with a tourist visa (60 day) seems difficult nowadays.

Opening with visa exempt (30 days) even more difficult.

What branch/location exactly did you visit?

That doesn't answer the Op's question about why you need a visa to open a bank account.

6 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

Even in the UK you have to show proof of residence, i.e utility bill etc. and residence visa Why would a tourist want a bank account anyway if it is not for suspicious activities. Most use their credit/debit card.

Dear oh dear and you wonder why some end up with problems in Thailand

50 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Dear oh dear and you wonder why some end up with problems in Thailand

Yeah, half the Brits think they are still in UK, and their laws there apply here.............as well as the Austalians, Scandanavians, Germans, Canadians, Americans etc etc etc.

13 hours ago, Kerryd said:

... I was just in my local branch a few days ago and they were trying to get me to open another...

Christ on a bike! You of all people should know that when it comes to dealing with the petty bureaucracy in Thailand, be it immigration, local government or simple banking, your experience will be totally unique and there's absolutely no guarantee that others can expect the same outcome.

And then you don't even name the bloody branch location?

I mean why post at all?

The perils of dotage I guess.

9 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Opened two accounts with bkk bank in two different cities. Went with the Mrs. I never produced anything and was on a tourist visa. 

When?

Where?

Maybe you and the missus slept at a Holiday Inn Express as well?

On 2/1/2019 at 9:23 AM, ujayujay said:

I opened a Bangkok Bank Account with a Tourist Visa. Any BB main Branch will do this.

Not true. You have to go shopping around just the same. We have non-O METV, I've had BB acc for 13 years. They wouldn't open one for my husband  i.e. he needed ref. from his overseas bank. Ref. from his local UOB account wasn't good enough. This was at Silom main office.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:45 AM, vinniekintana said:

I went to several banks with a non O-A visa and they all wanted a work permit

Most don't have a clue what a non O-A is.

I'm in the provinces though not in the more farang-oriented places

Ditto for getting a driving license...although I managed to 'bully' them into giving me one 

In my case the Bangkok Bank in Chaiyaphum asked for a proof of immigration I stay in a house (yellow house book). I have a tourist exemption 30 days. Next visit I have a METV and a house address. I hope to get a bank account