Complying with the new retirement extension rules

47 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Totally agree. 

And each Immigration Office boss will have his/her own ideas of how to interpret and enforce the rules. Officers will then have to follow their local boss's rules, which they will interpret and apply!

As the months progress and this gets implemented we'll be able to comment on how each office is handling this and compare the differences.

That wont help me. I have just done me extension last week and then transferred my money back offshore. I want to know if I have to transfer 400K back in before March 1 to avoid being on overstay. Which would amount to more than 6 months overstay by my next extension, with possible arrest, deportation and banned from visiting my family for 5 years as a consequence.

I need clarity right now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Thanks for your kind advice.

What do I do.  Trust that the advice provided by Ubon Joe is absolutely correct.

Or do I act now and try to transfer the equivalent of 400K back into my Thai account (plus a significant margin more to guard against any big FX movements or flash crashes).  This later solution is not as simple as it sounds (and maybe impossible) as I have already locked the funds into fixed term investments outside of Thailand. And there is a grace period of one month on repayment if the term is broken.

It's drastic, but perhaps return to your home country and get a NON-IMM O-A (longterm stay) Visa which would be good for nearly 2 years and you could use the existing money in your home country accounts to satisfy the financial requirements for that visa.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

That wont help me. I have just done me extension last week and then transferred my money back offshore. I want to know if I have to transfer 400K back in before March 1 to avoid being on overstay. Which would amount to more than 6 months overstay by my next extension, with possible arrest, deportation and banned from visiting my family for 5 years as a consequence.

I need clarity right now.

Go back to immigration and ask them, you will not believe anybody on here whatever they say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

While I agree that the reasonable interpretation is that the minimum

balance comes into effect only for extensions made after 1 March I am not sure I would count on all IOs understanding this fact in the same way. It is not clearly spelled out.

I am directly affected by this as I did an 800k extension last July and now have less than 400K in the bank. I am thinking of moving up the date I do a transfer to top up, or possibly making an additional smaller transfer, before 1 March just to be on the safe side i.e. get balance over 400k from 1 March onward. It will be highly inconvenient, and not necessary  by any rational reading of the regs, but unless TI issues a further clarification that removes room for doubt, I will do so - better safe than sorry.

Sheryl

I am in exactly the same pickle. I just did my extension a week or so ago. I then transferred my money offshore and put in an invest account that has a 6 month term and A ONE MONTH grace period if I want to break the term and get at my money.  I have other fixed income investments that provide me with money for my monthly expenses but it might be impossible for me to get my hands on 400K before 1 march.

Many other people on this website are making fun of my situation and posting some horrible and poisonous comments.

I am not broke.

I am not an illegal person as one other poster called me.

I am just an old guy with a family and I must manage my money closely.

I need absolute clarity regarding the same issue as you.  Do I need to transfer the equivalent of 400Kthb back into my FCD account before March 1.

Sawan called immigration yesterday and again this morning for me.  The said they are not aware of any new rule.

Where to from here?

EDIT: I should (for clarity) add that the investment income I get each month and use for my living expenses is less than 65K thb.

I could perhaps borrow the money (or put it on a credit card) to make the top up to 400K. But that is a ridiculous and very expensive option. Thus my urgent request for help.

Edited by Khaeng Mak
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, skatewash said:

It's drastic, but perhaps return to your home country and get a NON-IMM O-A (longterm stay) Visa which would be good for nearly 2 years and you could use the existing money in your home country accounts to satisfy the financial requirements for that visa.

Just for the record, I am old, sick (cancer) and disabled.

As OP just stated, income bit less that what's required. Perhaps good example of Thai making sweeping changes to effect what exactly? 

There are so many xpats living in los (some supporting Thai family). They ain't rich, but they doing OK.

Also when I go places like udon.. couple of friends have bars, Harleys etc. Some off shore. Or just plain have money from previous life. For every one of them there are so many blokes I share a beer with. Living on a pension, whatever, but getting by. They would not even know what's going on with these changes. I feel for them. Easy for me and others state....so what I will just stick 800k in one ac and 400k in another and not touch it. 

These changes are akin to trying to fix expensive jewelry with sledge hammer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Sheryl

I am in exactly the same pickle. I just did my extension a week or so ago. I then transferred my money offshore and put in an invest account that has a 6 month term and A ONE MONTH grace period if I want to break the term and get at my money.  I have other fixed income investments that provide me with money for my monthly expenses but it might be impossible for me to get my hands on 400K before 1 march.

Many other people on this website are making fun of my situation and posting some horrible and poisonous comments.

I am not broke.

I need absolute clarity regarding the same issue as you.  Do I need to top transfer the equivalent of 400Kthb back into my FCD account before March 1.

Sawan called immigration yesterday and again this morning for me.  The said they are not aware of any new rule.

Where to from here?

The problem is no one knows the answer to your question.  At this point, all they can do is offer educated guesses.

In your situation, you can comply with the strictest interpretation of the new lump-sum method and bring back your money into Thailand so that you have 800,000 balance for 2 months before your application and 3 months after your application and always maintain at least 400,000 in the account during the remainder of the year.  That appears to be the safest course of action, but who knows?  If tomorrow it's announced that the new rules don't apply to people with existing extensions of stay but only for new extensions of stay then you would say that you received terrible advice.

Most likely, the new lump-sum rules will be applied retrospectively, that is, when you go to get your next extension of stay they will look at a year's worth of bank statement for your account and see whether you complied with all the rules.  If you didn't probably you don't get a new extension.  Maybe you even get some sort of fine.  But in my humble opinion it is very unlikely that you would be charged with overstay, rounded up by the police, and carted off to the IDF for violating the new rules.  That's kind of silly and that may be what people are reacting to.

Another thing you might want to consider is that do nothing for the time being.  Assume you are OK, listen to any news about how the new rules are being enforced and if it turns out that you guessed wrong and you probably won't get a new extension of stay, then go back to your home country and apply for a NON-IMM O-A long stay visa (which has the advantage of using your financial resources in your home country to support your application).  Then come back to Thailand and get up to 2 years of stay if you plan carefully.

No one can tell you what to do.  No one really knows how all this will play out.  It's OK to look at the worst case scenario, but it probably doesn't get worse than simply not getting your next extension, and doesn't include being rounded up and shot.

Lots of criticism for how this whole thing has been handled but you have to deal with the world as it exists not how it should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:

We have mobile phone number.

Thanks for your helpful comment.

Never knew anyone have an IO mobile before.

The first thing you need to do is calm down. You are coming across as near hysterical and that aint helping you. Nothing can be sorted before Monday, the very worst option would appear to be that you return to your home country and apply for an O-A. Not convenient but not the end of the world.

For the moment the advice is that this is unnecessary. But calm down, go and speak to Imm next week. No panic. It is not possible for you to get the money here for 1st March anyway so that is off the table.

For the record my situation is similar to yours. We could turn out to be the lucky ones with one year's grace.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rott said:

The first thing you need to do is calm down. You are coming across as near hysterical and that aint helping you. Nothing can be sorted before Monday, the very worst option would appear to be that you return to your home country and apply for an O-A. Not convenient but not the end of the world.

For the moment the advice is that this is unnecessary. But calm down, go and speak to Imm next week. No panic. It is not possible for you to get the money here for 1st March anyway so that is off the table.

For the record my situation is similar to yours. We could turn out to be the lucky ones with one year's grace.

Now I have to question whether you even live here.

I have always obtained the personal mobile numbers of the Immigration officers that I have dealt with over the years. They have changed bosses and staff a good many times as well.  Not a single one of them have refused to provide me with their number.

2 minutes ago, rott said:

Never felt the need for one, never had any problem.

Neither have I ever felt the need to get cheeky and call someone a liar.

You posted previously, and I quote:

That was a snide and back handed comment.

It is very common for immigration officers to give their mobile numbers to long stay expats and other customers. 

If you actually lived here you would know that.

Unless of course you have no friends and have never visited an immigration office.

• Confused 1

I have a question to ask about source of Income, please.

My current situation Visa renewal mid July 2019 (due mid August 2019). I have ฿400,000 in a Thai Account (had to top up with an extra ฿160,000 via ATM cash withdrawals from my UK Nationwide account (I hope IO does not say cash not proven to be from UK (The slips have already mostly faded although I did take scanned copies and show Nationwide Statements to match them. My Imm. person said not a problem when I asked recently (but that is not definitive IMHO).

To date I have always lived on Pensions paid into my Nationwide and ATM cash withdrawals. Now Immigration new rules want income to go into a Thai account. Obviously I I can no longer use an British Embassy "Proof of Income" Letter and there is not way I can amass another ฿400,000 in the next few months to get ฿800,000 into my Thai Bank account by mid April 2109). Even, if I start making SWIFT payments from my UK to my Thai Account there is in not enough time to amass 12 months statements (the cessation of "Proof of Income" Letters first announcement was only back in back in October2018 which made it impossible for me to do SWIFT payments for 12 months by my next Visa Extension application.

I do not want to go the Marriage Visa route unless I really have to (worried about losing Grandfathering of Financial Requirements/rules if changed in the future).

What I wish to ask other members here is whether I dam allowed to do the following and meet all Thai Immigration legal requirements for Retirement Visa:

IF (big if, at this point) a UK family member of mine is able to send ฿400,000 (personal private loan to me) by a SWIFT Transfer to my Thai Bank account 3 months before renewal (topping it up to ฿800,000. Would that be acceptable to Thai Immigration.

My Intention would be:

1) Shortly to set up monthly SWIFT transfers of ฿ึึ70,000+ from my UK Nationwide Account to my Thai Bank Account, and

2) AFTER a Retirement Extension being granted in mid July to urgently repay my family member by a SWIFT transfer of the ฿400,000 from my Thai Bank back to her UK Bank Account.

My Visa Extension intentions/methods for 2019 and thereafter being:

1) 2019: I would use ฿800,000 in my Thai Bank Account for my August 2019 Retirement Extension (done mid July 2019)

and

2) 2020 onwards: By the time my August 2020 Retirement Extension is due (will be done mid July 2020) I will by then have amassed over 12 months of ฿ึ70,000+ SWIFT overseas payment income into my Thai Bank Account and would be able to produce 12 months of statements income from the Thai Bank proving ฿70,000+ each month from overseas. So for 2020 onwards I would apply for my Retirement Extension based on Income from overseas

3) If above acceptable, then the remaining ฿400,000 in my Thai Bank account could be used for General or Medical emergencies.

I believe the above complies 100% with all Thai Immigration rules, I would however, appreciate it very much if others can concur with my belief or, point out any flaws, with reasons.

Such a shame that Thai Immigration now requires proof that Income goes into a Thai Bank account (when they did not before, when Proof of Income Letters were available) because this makes my Nationwide Bank statements unacceptable as proof( even though they clearly show monthly pension income and several ATM Cask withdrawals every month totalling over ฿ุ65,000 from Thai ATM (statement details show: date, City/town, Thai Baht amount and exchange rate used).

I wish we had been given a full 12 months notice of the cessation of "Proof of Incomes Letters" and Thai Immigration's new rules dealing situation, because then I (and others in my situation) would have had time to start SWIFT transfers and build up 12 months of Thai Bank Statements in time for our Nest Visa Extensions. No point in crying over spilt milk. Rules are rules

Kind regards and thanks

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gdhm said:

I have a question to ask about source of Income, please.

My current situation Visa renewal mid July 2019 (due mid August 2019). I have ฿400,000 in a Thai Account (had to top up with an extra ฿160,000 via ATM cash withdrawals from my UK Nationwide account (I hope IO does not say cash not proven to be from UK (The slips have already mostly faded although I did take scanned copies and show Nationwide Statements to match them. My Imm. person said not a problem when I asked recently (but that is not definitive IMHO).

To date I have always lived on Pensions paid into my Nationwide and ATM cash withdrawals. Now Immigration new rules want income to go into a Thai account. Obviously I I can no longer use an British Embassy "Proof of Income" Letter and there is not way I can amass another ฿400,000 in the next few months to get ฿800,000 into my Thai Bank account by mid April 2109). Even, if I start making SWIFT payments from my UK to my Thai Account there is in not enough time to amass 12 months statements (the cessation of "Proof of Income" Letters first announcement was only back in back in October2018 which made it impossible for me to do SWIFT payments for 12 months by my next Visa Extension application.

I do not want to go the Marriage Visa route unless I really have to (worried about losing Grandfathering of Financial Requirements/rules if changed in the future).

What I wish to ask other members here is whether I dam allowed to do the following and meet all Thai Immigration legal requirements for Retirement Visa:

IF (big if, at this point) a UK family member of mine is able to send ฿400,000 (personal private loan to me) by a SWIFT Transfer to my Thai Bank account 3 months before renewal (topping it up to ฿800,000. Would that be acceptable to Thai Immigration.

My Intention would be:

1) Shortly to set up monthly SWIFT transfers of ฿ึึ70,000+ from my UK Nationwide Account to my Thai Bank Account, and

2) AFTER a Retirement Extension being granted in mid July to urgently repay my family member by a SWIFT transfer of the ฿400,000 from my Thai Bank back to her UK Bank Account.

My Visa Extension intentions/methods for 2019 and thereafter being:

1) 2019: I would use ฿800,000 in my Thai Bank Account for my August 2019 Retirement Extension (done mid July 2019)

and

2) 2020 onwards: By the time my August 2020 Retirement Extension is due (will be done mid July 2020) I will by then have amassed over 12 months of ฿ึ70,000+ SWIFT overseas payment income into my Thai Bank Account and would be able to produce 12 months of statements income from the Thai Bank proving ฿70,000+ each month from overseas. So for 2020 onwards I would apply for my Retirement Extension based on Income from overseas

3) If above acceptable, then the remaining ฿400,000 in my Thai Bank account could be used for General or Medical emergencies.

I believe the above complies 100% with all Thai Immigration rules, I would however, appreciate it very much if others can concur with my belief or, point out any flaws, with reasons.

Such a shame that Thai Immigration now requires proof that Income goes into a Thai Bank account (when they did not before, when Proof of Income Letters were available) because this makes my Nationwide Bank statements unacceptable as proof( even though they clearly show monthly pension income and several ATM Cask withdrawals every month totalling over ฿ุ65,000 from Thai ATM (statement details show: date, City/town, Thai Baht amount and exchange rate used).

I wish we had been given a full 12 months notice of the cessation of "Proof of Incomes Letters" and Thai Immigration's new rules dealing situation, because then I (and others in my situation) would have had time to start SWIFT transfers and build up 12 months of Thai Bank Statements in time for our Nest Visa Extensions. No point in crying over spilt milk. Rules are rules

Kind regards and thanks

Well, I certainly hope your plan is a good one because I plan to do the same thing. ????

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1082079-retirement-extension-switch-from-800k-to-income-method/?do=findComment&comment=13803986

3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Surely the retirement extension laws, if they applied to existing extenders (hard to believe??), need 2 years to implement for renewals or should not be changed at all for existing renewals? The IO cannot be expecting all law abiding retirement extenders to follow the news everyday can they? Some will not be aware of rule until next renewal with plans based on old.

I have always been using my 800k saved for 3 months in advance for living off/usin after extension and will top up again above 800k at 3 months before next renewal. All my real money stays outside Thailand. I didn't plan on going to an Imm office again until next renewal so will have no finances in place when I do go to adopt to any new rules they haven't told me about and changed on me since my last visit besides the 800k in a Thai bank 3 months prior as it was every year.

I used to top up to 800k 3 months before and then usually as soon as I got my extension spend 800k on a car or gold or investment. Problem was then always finding money again to top up again 9 months later which meant selling and investment (gold or a condo or something). Im seriously considering elite visa route given I will now need to tie up money for 6-7 months and keep say around ½ million so not to fall under 400k rule. It has a lot of advantages but at my age I probably wont last 20 years but might last more than 5 years. Also it means ½ million or 1 million less for my family (although thats a small fraction of what they already have). While they wont need it much like inheritance tax in UK I hate simply giving any government any money.

So my options and probably many like me are:-

Go for Visa elite and have hassle free 5 10 or 20 year but loose between ½ million and 1 million. No more getting up at 5am once a year to get a Q number for my renewal etc. It also has a great advantage of safeguarding against future changes and if I went for 20 year for 1 million provided I lived that long (very unlikely) only 50,000 baht a year or say 5%.

Go over to  marriage visa or support a thai child visa but its a lot of hassle.

Fund 800,000 for ever and at least it would go to my family. However I totally distrust fiat money which can go to zero in next financial meltdown. Shame you cant show it in gold.

Borrow 1 million which at prevailing rate would be around 7% (my wife could easily borrow that on some of her land) but weve been totally debt free for 20 odd years and reluctant to have any debt at all.

On reflection while elite visa is really attractive and fairly easily affordable I cant bring myself to simply give away ½ to 1 million which would not then go to my family.

So ill almost certainly fund extra but 5,10 or 20 year elite visa is very tempting. If I go for that id probably have a massive heart attack next day. 

3 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Sheryl

I am not broke.

I need absolute clarity regarding the same issue as you.  Do I need to transfer the equivalent of 400Kthb back into my FCD account before March 1.

Where to from here?

EDIT: I should (for clarity) add that the investment income I get each month and use for my living expenses is less than 65K thb.

I could perhaps borrow the money (or put it on a credit card) to make the top up to 400K. But that is a ridiculous and very expensive option. Thus my urgent request for help.

you wont get clarrity here or from immigration if you can borrow money then my advise is do so even if on expensive credit card but better if you can from a family or friend and offer 8% which on 400,000 is 16000 baht for 6 months. If you have assets it should not be to difficult and 16,000 a small price to pay  or make sure you transfer 65k + as month might be an alternative. Thye wont im sure trat you as an overstay so stop paniking or whne you get 400k back consider a elite visa for 500,000  

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Well, I certainly hope your plan is a good one because I plan to do the same thing. ????

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1082079-retirement-extension-switch-from-800k-to-income-method/?do=findComment&comment=13803986

I have noticed a potential flaw in my intention.

The new rule to keep ฿800,000 in the Thai account 3months After renewal, probably means I would have to borrow the money from a family member for 6 months (3months before and after).

Although I would have ฿800,000 in a Thai account at time of Extension, IF I were to send back ฿400,000 as soon as I got my Extension then when my 2020 Extension application came around, I suspect Immigration may well check back and say as I went under ฿800,000 just after my 2019 extension then I breached their new rule even though 2020 would be based upon Income. I am not sure I can ask a family member to loan me for 6 months, because if I were to pass away (natural or accident) before repayment the family member would feel very vulnerable which would not be fair, even though I am 100% certain my wife would ensure it was repaid.

???? Looks like I will have to go the Marriage route in 2019 for 1 year and then revert to Retirement Income method in 2020 and just hope during the next 1½ years Minimum Financial requirements or further new rules do not come into place which I would not have Grandfathering protection from.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Surely the retirement extension laws, if they applied to existing extenders (hard to believe??), need 2 years to implement for renewals or should not be changed at all for existing renewals? The IO cannot be expecting all law abiding retirement extenders to follow the news everyday can they? Some will not be aware of rule until next renewal with plans based on old.

I have always been using my 800k saved for 3 months in advance for living off/usin after extension and will top up again above 800k at 3 months before next renewal. All my real money stays outside Thailand. I didn't plan on going to an Imm office again until next renewal so will have no finances in place when I do go to adopt to any new rules they haven't told me about and changed on me since my last visit besides the 800k in a Thai bank 3 months prior as it was every year.

Nothing in the directive suggests that people already holding extensions will be exempt from this.

I was doing exactly what you have been doing and to my understanding, I no longer can.

Immigration does not recognize any obligation to personally inform us of the rules , it is on us to stay abreast of them (which as of the past month has become unusually hard to do....)

And yes, some people will be caught short by this. Moral of the story:   read TVF!!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gdhm said:

I have noticed a potential flaw in my intention.

The new rule to keep ฿800,000 in the Thai account 3months After renewal, probably means I would have to borrow the money from a family member for 6 months (3months before and after).

Although I would have ฿800,000 in a Thai account at time of Extension, IF I were to send back ฿400,000 as soon as I got my Extension then when my 2020 Extension application came around, I suspect Immigration may well check back and say as I went under ฿800,000 just after my 2019 extension then I breached their new rule even though 2020 would be based upon Income.

Yes. I was going to point that out. You have to keep all 800K in there for 3 months after.

I'd suggest you use combo method but can't as no one can definitely say what the rules for that now are!!! There are at least 2 distinctly different interpretations being bandied about among ourselves and lord only knows what a provincial IO would think - they might just refuse to do it altogether for fear of getting it wrong.

Hopefully some clarification on the combo method will be forthcoming,  but no telling when or what it will say.

I recall discussion in other threads around the issue of the new rules nto being announced long enough in advance for many people to have made 12 transfers in accordance with them, and lots of discussion accordingly but IIRC no clear answers on it other than that IOs were told to be "lenient" in the first year which obviously is open to differing interpretations by different IOs.

In your case under the circumstances I would definitely use the marriage extension route since yo uhave that amount.  Anyhow retirement extensions are now shaping up to no longer be much easier than marriage extensions for either applicant or IOs.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes. I was going to point that out. You have to keep all 800K in there for 3 months after.

I'd suggest you use combo method but can't as no one can definitely say what the rules for that now are!!! There are at least 2 distinctly different interpretations being bandied about among ourselves and lord only knows what a provincial IO would think - they might just refuse to do it altogether for fear of getting it wrong.

Hopefully some clarification on the combo method will be forthcoming,  but no telling when or what it will say.

I recall discussion in other threads around the issue of the new rules nto being announced long enough in advance for many people to have made 12 transfers in accordance with them, and lots of discussion accordingly but IIRC no clear answers on it other than that IOs were told to be "lenient" in the first year which obviously is open to differing interpretations by different IOs.

In your case under the circumstances I would definitely use the marriage extension route since yo uhave that amount.  Anyhow retirement extensions are now shaping up to no longer be much easier than marriage extensions for either applicant or IOs.

Thanks Sheryl I agree. 

Only things I am unsure about with Marriage Visas is that I have read a post or two that seem to suggest I need to get some document from Town Hall just before before each Marriage Extension stating that their records still believe me to be married with my wife.

However, someone who visited me today said no, they only want my original marriage certificate and the supporting registration form.

My visitor however did say I would need to take a witness (or 2) the first time I switch to a Marriage Visa. This came as a surprise to me.  I have been going to Immigration for 12 years with my wife for every retirement Visa and all my 90 day reports. They know I am married and my declared living address. I'm also unsure why I would need to take any witnesses as I understand Police are likely to visit my home after application and whilst there, they may well speak to those living in my Soi to confirm I am married to my wife and live there.

I'm also unsure how many coloured Photos and how many duplicates are needed and what size they should be and whether they need to be on separate sheets and allow room for Officers to write on. Hopefully I will get clear instructions.

I will ask at my next 80 day report. Unfortunately no officer speaks very good English and I speak no Thai and as a consequence the officers tend to always answer me in Thai via my wife and things get lost in translations and understanding. I am not seeking unexpected shocks on Marriage Visa Application day.

????Oh what fun!

14 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

You posted previously, and I quote:

That was a snide and back handed comment.

It is very common for immigration officers to give their mobile numbers to long stay expats and other customers. 

If you actually lived here you would know that.

Unless of course you have no friends and have never visited an immigration office.

I actually DO live here, for 10 years, I DO have friends, and I visit an Immigration Office every 90 days, but I still do not have the IOs personal phone number, and it has been the same man for over 7 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I actually DO live here, for 10 years, I DO have friends, and I visit an Immigration Office every 90 days, but I still do not have the IOs personal phone number, and it has been the same man for over 7 years.

10 years here. Ok. So you speak good Thai like me. 

Next time you go to immigration ask the "same man" for his mobile number.

Please report back with the outcome.

1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:

10 years here. Ok. So you speak good Thai like me. 

Next time you go to immigration ask the "same man" for his mobile number.

Please report back with the outcome.

Why would I need his personal number. I can & have conducted business with him on a professional basis whenever needed.. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rott said:

Go back to immigration and ask them, you will not believe anybody on here whatever they say.

Problem is, due to the way things work here, we cannot rely on anything they say today, with regard to what will be demanded on some date in the future.  Even if they are being 100% honest, today, those above them in the chain can change the requirements with little or no notice, and in an unclear way leading to very inconsistent enforcement

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/1/2019 at 2:08 AM, Khaeng Mak said:

2. If I don't is my current extension then invalid (same as a non B who loses his job or a marriage extension who gets divorced)?

According to the police order published here, yes, it is invalid

On 2/1/2019 at 2:08 AM, Khaeng Mak said:

3. If my extension is invalid can I be arrested for overstay and banned from Thailand for 5 years?

High probability. You will be arrested, put in the IDC, endure the experience of hell and then banned for at least one year may be five years. 

I don't believe whatever others say, the way the police order is written, any time your balance drops below 400K, your extension is invalid. If it drops below 800K for the first three months, your extension is invalid. Better go to the immigration and report it and ask for mercy. May be they will give you 7-day to get out. 

Unless, this police order is modified and clearly spell out the punishment, you're always at the risk of being harassed by police. You may be harassed by Big Jokes's minions on the street and they may demand to see your bank book. So, even if you meet the requirements, you may keep have to keep it up-to date and carry with you all the time whenever you're on the street. You may get away after paying 500 baht to the harasser. Not sure about this. Only time will tell. 

The is a very dangerous requirements as no punishment is clearly spelled out, a hall mark of a police state where people in power can dole out punishments as they wish. You could end up for a few years in the IDC and then transferred to Hilton as a criminal.

Your life depends on keeping the money in the bank and walking with an up-to-date bankbook. 

There is another catch though. Now that they know retirees may have a large sum of money in their bankbook, they will be extorted for hight amounts if they catch you. It is a catch 22. They will take your money and send you to IDC and eventually to Hilton to spend the rest of your retirement life as a criminal. 

I could never dream Thailand will stoop so low to harass, extort, and criminalize retirees and take their money from the bank and leave you in Bangkok Hilton. 

Good luck with retiring in Thailand and live in a constant fear. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Good luck with retiring in Thailand and live in a constant fear. 

Only thing that might put me in constant fear is reading some of the scare mongering on here. BTW this excerpt was in today's NY Times regarding a football commentator but the general also applies:

"It’s about the rarity of his unquestionably deep knowledge in an era when so many of the people who put on the trappings of authority and peddle pearls of wisdom don’t actually have the goods. When so many opinions come with a swagger inversely proportional to their worth. When social media, cable channels, webcasts, podcasts, blogs and more have created an environment in which everybody’s an expert and nobody’s an expert — in which it’s sometimes impossible to tell."

Edited by JLCrab