Complying with the new retirement extension rules

Tips for getting your IO's phone number and making your first phone call:

1. When you ask your IO for his/her phone number, speak slowly and clearly but not loudly. Make sure to make eye contact. After your IO has given you his/her phone number, simply say Thank you, and wai deeply.

2. Don’t call your IO immediately after getting his/her number: that will make you seem too eager. Wait a few days. On the other hand, don’t wait too long either: that will make you seem aloof and uninterested. Your IO doesn’t have time for games.

3. When you do call your IO for the first time, introduce yourself by your full name (middle name too) as it appears on your passport. Then ask: “Do you remember me?” Your IO will most likely say yes, out of shyness, even if he/she has no memory of you. Now is a good time to recite your passport number, slowly but clearly, one digit at a time.

4. After it has been established that your IO indeed remembers you (he/she has probably looked up your info and found your photo), remind your IO that you two have your next “date” in less than 90 days and that you can’t wait to see him/her again. If your IO feels the same way, he/she will remind you that you may report up to 15 days before your 90-day period expires.

5. Don’t keep your IO on the phone too long. Your IO has important work to do. And he/she may be hungry. Simply say, Good-bye, and wai deeply.

Good luck!

Edited by Roy Baht
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Tips for getting your IO's phone number and making your first phone call:

1. When you ask your IO for his/her phone number, speak slowly and clearly but not loudly. Make sure to make eye contact. After your IO has given you his/her phone number, simply say Thank you, and wai deeply.

2. Don’t call your IO immediately after getting his/her number: that will make you seem too eager. Wait a few days. On the other hand, don’t wait too long either: that will make you seem aloof and uninterested. Your IO doesn’t have time for games.

3. When you do call your IO for the first time, introduce yourself by your full name (middle name too) as it appears on your passport. Then ask: “Do you remember me?” Your IO will most likely say yes, out of shyness, even if he/she has no memory of you. Now is a good time to recite your passport number, slowly but clearly, one digit at a time.

4. After it has been established that your IO indeed remembers you (he/she has probably looked up your info and found your photo), remind your IO that you two have your next “date” in less than 90 days and that you can’t wait to see him/her again. If your IO feels the same way, he/she will remind you that you may report up to 15 days before your 90-day period expires.

5. Don’t keep your IO on the phone too long. Your IO has important work to do. And he/she may be hungry. Simply say, Good-bye, and wai deeply.

Good luck!

I just ask if I can have their number so that I can call to check if there is any Thai public holidays before I make the long drive to their office.

Can't ever remember giving a wai to an immigration officer.

Lots of snide and poisonous remarks on this forum. Terrible really.

Probably paid writers employed to generate conflict among members to keep the post count and page view numbers rolling along.

Edited by Khaeng Mak

On 2/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, Khaeng Mak said:

Where else can I get advice?

This is the go to place for Thai visa advice isn't it?

I have read many of the threads here and its seems that Thai visa often assume the role of mouth piece for the expat community and seeks clarification of new stuff on our behalf. 

If I can't trust the advice on this forum why does Thai Visa seek to present itself as representing an expat such as me when they approach immigration for further information or clarification. 

Who appointed Thai Visa as my intermediary with immigration?

I want Immigration to communicate and clarify any new changes directly to me.  Not using some website where senior members tell me taking advice is absurd.

Sawan called the immigration office for me this morning and they didn't even know about this new rule.

Please tell me when TVF ever assumed the role of

outhpiece for the expat community, I have never seen it. 

OK I give in I do not know the answer, who did appoint TVF as your intermediary with immigration??

If you want immigration to communicate directly with you tell them not us.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 5:32 PM, Khaeng Mak said:

You posted previously, and I quote:

That was a snide and back handed comment.

It is very common for immigration officers to give their mobile numbers to long stay expats and other customers. 

If you actually lived here you would know that.

Unless of course you have no friends and have never visited an immigration office.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:32 PM, Khaeng Mak said:

You posted previously, and I quote:

That was a snide and back handed comment.

It is very common for immigration officers to give their mobile numbers to long stay expats and other customers. 

If you actually lived here you would know that.

Unless of course you have no friends and have never visited an immigration office.

It was not a snide, back-handed comment, I would never ask an IO for his/her private number, never known anyone else to either.

To the best of my knowledge I do actually live here, I checked with my wife yesterday and she confirmed it.

Your post count continues upwards, will you make it 200 for the first week??

To repeat an earlier statement we will probably turn out to be amongst the luckier ones with almost one year left on our extensions.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

The new rules are not retroactive. If somebody is already on a extension before March 1st the new rules will not apply until their next extension.

When they apply for their next extension they would have to have the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months before they apply and then 3 months after they do it. Then the 400k baht after the 3 months.

Guys, sorry to be playing catchup here but I was not aware of the new rules for the 800K baht "seasoning" system for retirement extension, and can't, despite searching, find an authoritative reference to them.  So please tell me: 

1. When did the rules re 800K change, effective what date? 

2. The old system was you had to have 800K in the bank for 3 months before you went for your extension and that was all.   I gather now you have to only have the 800K deposited for 2 months prior, but also musty leave it there for 3 months after, and then for the rest of the year keep 400K deposited.  Correct? 

3. Presumably this means the banks will change (or have already changed) their standard letter to now refer to those three periods, not just the preceding 3 months, correct? 

4. Finally, is there a police order in English or anything official on this?  

9 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Guys, sorry to be playing catchup here but I was not aware of the new rules for the 800K baht "seasoning" system for retirement extension, and can't, despite searching, find an authoritative reference to them.  So please tell me: 

1. When did the rules re 800K change, effective what date? 

2. The old system was you had to have 800K in the bank for 3 months before you went for your extension and that was all.   I gather now you have to only have the 800K deposited for 2 months prior, but also musty leave it there for 3 months after, and then for the rest of the year keep 400K deposited.  Correct? 

3. Presumably this means the banks will change (or have already changed) their standard letter to now refer to those three periods, not just the preceding 3 months, correct? 

4. Finally, is there a police order in English or anything official on this?  

1. 1st March.

2. Yes. after 1st March.

3. Standard letter never said that, only confirming your account and balance on the day.

4. The OP of another thread. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

1. 1st March.

2. Yes. after 1st March.

3. Standard letter never said that, only confirming your account and balance on the day.

4. The OP of another thread. 

Jacko, thanks for your quick reply.  OK, I see you're right about the bank letter, I was a bit confused.  What I should have asked is whether we will now, along with the bank letter, have to show a bank book with all entries for the whole year (along with a copy of that) so they can see the whole picture (unlike in the past when it was only the preceding 3 months' entries they looked at).  Is that required now?

Also, can you (or can anyone) please point me to the other thread you mention with the relevant police order?  I don't know why I'm but I'm having no luck searching for it.