Social Housing in Thailand

Whenever I travel around I come across isolated blocks of small connected dwellings, look like 2 rooms with a small outside patio area.  There is usually a fairly long row of them, maybe up to 20 or 30, usually in quite rural locations. Some around where I live are of very new construction.  My wife tells me that they are government built and provided, social housing projects for homeless families.  If this is right, and I have no reason to doubt her, then it's quite a commitment from governments that are often criticised on this and other forums for not doing enough for poor people.  Anyone have any info., on this.  Just curious.  

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Whenever I travel around I come across isolated blocks of small connected dwellings, look like 2 rooms with a small outside patio area.  There is usually a fairly long row of them, maybe up to 20 or 30,

i don't know about the rest of the country, but the one near my house is for my girlfriends. cost me a fortune. :clap2:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My wife tells me that they are government built and provided, social housing projects for homeless families.

We have cheap rented places in our province and social services help some poor a bit unable to work but they don't pay all.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My wife tells me that they are government built and provided, social housing projects for homeless families.  If this is right, and I have no reason to doubt her, then it's quite a commitment from governments that are often criticised on this and other forums for not doing enough for poor people.

You may be assuming they are free. They are not but they are heavily supported by the government often by cheap loans or rent control. They are not for "homeless" people in the Western connotation of the word.

They are under the auspices of the National Housing Agency kankheha

The two most common types of housing are :-

2 or 3 room flats built in numbered blocks and often referred to as a kheha. You find these all over Thailand in identical design. The cheap rents mean they are keenly sought after particularly in Bangkok. Once tenants get in, they rarely leave.

or small detached houses known as the Eua Arthon Project. This is the one referred to in your post. Again they are keenly sought after and can be bought using cheap government loans. In order to qualify you must have a low income and be a certain age.

As with all government procurements here, there is considerable corruption during the original budget disbursement phase (i.e. construction).

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My wife tells me that they are government built and provided, social housing projects for homeless families. 

It's not for the homeless, it's for people with limited incomes.

https://www.ddproperty.com/en/property-news/2018/1/168311/low-cost-housing-plans-for-thailand-announced

Often labelled as 'บ้านเอื้ออาทร' in Thai.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1