A/C Filters

AAArdvark

In simple terms the answer is that the split type of aircon to which you refer do have filters and these vary depending on the make and model. In the case of the ones in my house they have a coarse filter to remove dust and fluff. These you remove and clean monthly or less often depending on need. Additionally they have particulate filters to capture the more dangerous non visible particulate pollution that is more damaging to our health. These filters are changed on a regular basis depending on the load they have had to filter, and replaced with new filters. These are often referred to as HEPA filters.

At all times and on all settings the indoor unit is recycling the air inside your rooms and are not bringing in so-called fresh air, which is polluted to varying degrees depending on weather and emissions. The pipes that come from the outdoor unit are merely recirculating coolant from the outside cooler to the indoor unit where it cools the indoor air.

I also have high capacity air purifiers in some rooms, and it is interesting to see how much coarse and non visible dirt they remove in addition to that collected by the aircon filters.

Thanks, both of you.  I was referring to a condo rental.  I guess that once I move in, I will make filter checking a priority, especially this time of year.  I will also try to get the landlord to take care of the first filter change.

If I were doing a long term condo rental I would open up the inside unit (in the presence of the agent/owner) and if it looks the least bit dirty I would tell them that I would only rent under the condition that all AC units we cleaned inside & out and the freon levels checked (not a simple mae baan cleaning)... This you could also do on your own (it cost 4-500 baht unit)... In my house I have it done every April and bet the cleaning cost is recouped by the increased efficiency and lower electric costs... I also have our Mae baan remove and wash the inner filters weekly...

Both our roadside aircons need cleaning at least once a year. In the city the air coming into your building is far more polluted than a quieter area.

if you neglect to clean, as well as the efficiency running down, the filter trays will get so clogged with gunge you will get a nice dirty waterfall which will I guarantee cause you to panic.....especially if you own a restaurant or have workstations below

• Like 1