Tried to open Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya - The Saga

I got a residency certificate from my  local  Amphur Office  2 hundred  metres up the street from the Bangkok Bank Branch that required  one to open an account to  deposit  my 800,000 Bht in to get my original Visa  based on retirement.

Have used  same office for same document to  buy a vehicle in my own name.

Never has it been said i needed to  go to  Imm. for one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Buy or borrow a thick fake gold neckless and Rolex. Hire a suit and tell the staff you need to transfer 150 million baht for condo purchases and look really annoyed all the time.

You will get your account I promise.

Just make up a story that suits the bank.

Begging as a tourist in flip flops is gonna be hard work!

Above was Tongue in cheek but you get the picture

Obviously, you were joking, but there is more than a grain of truth here. Being well groomed and smartly dressed makes a big difference. The only better idea is to visit the bank with one of their existing, respected customers.

I have not opened a new account at a bank branch I have not used before for a while, but have never been refused a savings account. I dress up when intending to talk with senior bank staff, and speak with them in Thai unless it becomes clear that they want to show off their English skills (at which point I switch to English, and studiously hide my amusement at their weak grasp of the language).

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I went to open a savings account at BKK bank in Chiang Mai a month ago and the bank clerk told me I needed a residence letter from immigration.

When I told him that I wasn't currently resident in the Kingdom, he pondered and asked how much I wanted to transfer. He subsequently went out the back and came back with the answer  'my manager guarantee you'. Result........

It must be discretionary as to whether they can skip the residence bit. Thank goodness for that........

From reading some of the posters' comments about preferring not to place a lump sum in a Thai bank to cover the 800K requirement, when they already have the funds elsewhere; I am confused as to why so many seem hesitant. BKK bank offer 1.6%, well they did a month ago, which is not the end of the world and I am sure there must be other deals around....

Bangkok Bank's website is pretty clear on what's needed https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account :-

For foreigners

1. Foreigner with a work permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

3. Foreigner with permanent residence in Thailand

• Passport, Certificate of Residence, or Alien Certificate 
  • House Registration document

But since when has that made any odds? Each branch (and even each teller) makes up its own rules, just keep trying.

Anyone who's working is well advised to open any accounts needed before they retire.

• Like 2

Obviously, you were joking, but there is more than a grain of truth here. Being well groomed and smartly dressed makes a big difference. The only better idea is to visit the bank with one of their existing, respected customers.

I have not opened a new account at a bank branch I have not used before for a while, but have never been refused a savings account. I dress up when intending to talk with senior bank staff, and speak with them in Thai unless it becomes clear that they want to show off their English skills (at which point I switch to English, and studiously hide my amusement at their weak grasp of the language).
Old experience of little use. I could bang on about how easy it was for me to open an account a couple years ago, now appears different. The last month or two is the relevant info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

have not opened a new account at a bank branch I have not used before for a while, but have never been refused a savings account. I dress up when intending to talk with senior bank staff, and speak with them in Thai unless it becomes clear that they want to show off their English skills (at which point I switch to English, and studiously hide my amusement at their weak grasp of the language).

Everybody does not speak Thai. A phrase like "for a while" does not mean anything. Before I walked into KK bank and opened an account on the spot without question. The reality of the past does not apply to the present. 

I think one must ask to talk to the Manager on the sign of "no", instead of trying to convince the staff. I don't have to mention the need for dressing up properly. It is expected. 

The best option is to take a Thai with a good company job or a government job. But this option is not available to everybody. 

The second best option for Bangkok Bank is to use the embassy letter that costs time and money and the most inconvenient. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Old experience of little use. I could bang on about how easy it was for me to open an account a couple years ago, now appears different. The last month or two is the relevant info

Bangkok Bank changed their policies in 2014-5, in the capital at least. Around that time I was offered an account very easily there but went with KTB. Back then I was on a tourist visa, and dressed like a tourist too but all I needed was my passport. A more recent attempt in 2018 to open an account with BB hit a brick wall, even going in well dressed, on a retirement visa and appealing to senior staff in Thai. Same was true in several branches I tried, and finally the Silom head office. Every time I got the same information back - need either a WP, proof of condo ownership, or a letter of residence from the embassy (not immigration). They also gave me a fourth option - a pre-worded reference sent by SWIFT from my UK bank, but when I asked my banks in the UK to do this they didn't have a clue what Bangkok Bank wanted, implying this was not a regular request. The easiest way to open an account with them would have been to schlep down to the embassy, but I objected to the £52 charge for letters, and by this point I was getting tired of the customer unfriendly approach, especially when the point of opening the account was for the possibility of transferring in a large sum.

To the OP, annoying as it is, I think with the residency letter you should get the account. My reasons for wanting to open it were more relating to ease of transfer via the BB London branch, but with the Transferwise proof of foreign deposits issue there seem to be new reasons for opening one.

Reading the above, I note some posters have succeeded in Pattaya with residency letters from immigration rather than their embassy, so maybe the situation is a bit more flexible there. 

Edited by lamyai3

Got residency letters from Soi 5 this week, although there were queues Monday and Tuesday, once ticket was given only took an hour....nothing required from BE, Chanote copy front and reverse, all relevent pp pages,3 pics that was it for two

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Bangkok Bank's website is pretty clear on what's needed https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account :-

But since when has that made any odds? Each branch (and even each teller) makes up its own rules, just keep trying.

Anyone who's working is well advised to open any accounts needed before they retire.

Yes I was aware of this, but I've seen so many posts where people just walk in with a passport and retirement visa and they have no problems. Thought I was on a winner when the girl told me I only needed a letter from TI, I had to go there anyway to do my 90 day report. I've been reading some posts this morning and the BB in East Pattaya looks a good bet. I'll give it a try and report back.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Got residency letters from Soi 5 this week, although there were queues Monday and Tuesday, once ticket was given only took an hour....nothing required from BE, Chanote copy front and reverse, all relevent pp pages,3 pics that was it for two

What was it for? My last residency letter for a driving license I didn't need an embassy letter. I believe it's a different requirement for opening bank account.

1 hour ago, keithcresswell said:

If at first you dont succeed... try another branch. I opened a Bangkok bank account in January for the same reason. The first branch, in Pattaya, told me I needed a letter from Immigration so I went to another branch a few hundred metres away who required no proof of address at all!

What branch was that please?

5 minutes ago, jesimps said:

What was it for? My last residency letter for a driving license I didn't need an embassy letter. I believe it's a different requirement for opening bank account.

Beginning to feel  the driving licence renewal is the only reason a residence letter from immigration will be issued on request. I keep hearing if you need one for any other reason, immigration want some letter from someone else as proof of the need. A bit chicken and egg. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

This is the Bangkok Bank branch where I have opened an account with passport ( retirement ext) and my Thai diving license to show my address. About 3 years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/gQav1784gbB2

Yeah, the main branch on 2nd Rd in Pattaya. (Top of soi 6). Quite a few sub branches have opened since, Beach Rd, Numchai on Sukhumvit, thee Malls. That main branch is sometimes real slow to serve customers these days, but you can get to talk to some who speak fair English.

12 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I got a residency certificate from my  local  Amphur Office  2 hundred  metres up the street from the Bangkok Bank Branch that required  one to open an account to  deposit  my 800,000 Bht in to get my original Visa  based on retirement.

Have used  same office for same document to  buy a vehicle in my own name.

Never has it been said i needed to  go to  Imm. for one.

I used to do the same till I got a yellow book, very easily done

Try the BB branch on 2nd Road across from McDonald's ... I opened an account there last year Aug/Sept 2018.  I got residence certificate from Jomtien TI, no letter from embassy necessary.  Headed over to the bank, money, passport and residence certificate was all that was needed.  They also required me to buy insurance, I think it was 600baht.  But no problems opening the account and I only had the 30 day visa at the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Bangkok Bank on Thepprasit road will do it and no residence cert. needed - only passport. They have a lousy service and annoying staff tho

I renewed a FD at a sub branch which had been opened at the main 2nd Rd Bangkok Bank office. I later found that the renewed account was 'based' at the sub branch. Perhaps this means once accounts are opened, they can be moved around readily. My sub branch suggested moving my main savings account to them. Problem is, they open somewhat later.