New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about the money....

I have a modest income of $1,500 - $2,000 USD per month, which is quite adequate for me to live in Thailand as a single man.

For many years, I have undertaken voluntary work, initially as a Thai translator with the Thai tourist police, then running my educational charity in Burma.  I recently returned to Thailand and continue my unpaid charity work.  I can't easily register my 'one-man-band' charity in Thailand, so it's impossible to get a non-immigrant visa and work permit.  In 18 months from now, my Elite visa will expire and my calculations indicate that I cannot save up enough money for either a retirement visa or new Elite visa, although I am spending tens of thousands of my own money in Thailand each month on my educational charity text-books etc.

Why can't Thailand recognise not only financial contributions from foreigners, but also social contributions? There must be many retired foreigners who would love to teach as volunteers to 'give back' to Thailand, yet they are not allowed to do so. (Yes, I'm very much aware of my own legal position concerning my volunteer work....).

Unless I find a solution, it sounds like I'll be back in Burma in 18 months from now.

1 hour ago, ScammedInThailand said:

Spot on! Thais never do anything unless they get their share - why do you think they will do anything to attract criminals, scam artists, pedophiles and other low-life scum?

Seem to be traits of the locals what you mention. 

8 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Well, as usual with all these changes much of it comes back to all the people abusing the system! I have friends that complains that they can't get their visa extensions as they don't have the savings, don't have enough income and now they can't get agents to forge/fake bank accounts for them... it's thanks to this kind of people and all these Indians with just "paper" marriages that these new rules have come in place (at least according to my Thai drinking buddy who is immigration office).
It's the same as it was with people on ED extensions, people used to get a year extension but because too many abused the system, even those who were legit students got affected by the changes. And again now we have the blacklisting for overstaying your visa... in the past it wasn't a big deal so some people were abusing that too (we have all read the stories of people leaving with 20 year overstay...) and that made them put the blacklisting in effect.

So, don't blame the government for changing the system, blame all the people who have been abusing the system and by doing that forced the government to change the system!

Yes, the Thai government is to blame for not keeping on tracking down these illegal workers and overstayers and punishing them, instead of picking on decent retirees who have, or are bringing up Thai families and contributing to the Thai economy.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am assuming this 90 years old is a farang, any reason why he won't have a pension to live on? Maybe he is a Brit and has been here for more than 20 years, and will only have a fraction of his state pension because of no annual pension increases.

In that case it would be the UK government to blame. Any government with any heart at all would grant PR to anyone who has been in their country for at least 20 years, and still paying their way.

I posted about him already. He is a US-American:

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

The "90yo expat who has to leave" is from USA

Until now he was using his embassy income letter (affidavit).

He doesn't want keep money in Thailand

and says that monthly transfer is too much hassle for a 90yo

(How I know? he contacted me)

I have no problem with immigration trying to stop the agents from ‘ cheating ‘ on behalf of their customers... but surely there’s a better way to go about it then affect ‘ everyone ‘ , everyone that uses the 800k route , where if you work it out needs to effectively be in the bank untouched for the whole year , every year ! 

3 months before , 3 months after = 6 months , then then 3 months before again is 9 months out of the year with just 3 months access to use , and only use 400k . 

I know a lot of people that use agents , which has always puzzled me as to how they do it .  But ok good luck to them , but because of immigration don’t like it we all get penalised , 

this current agent route , must involve  3  routes illegally BANKS , AGENTS , and IMMIGRATION themselves,,, sort them out not us ! 

Did my visa extension today. Given a copy of the new rules. Start 1dt March 2019.

1. How will they want to check the 800k is still there in Three months.

Letter from bank again? Just the updated bank book?

2. If it drops below 400k in month 4 to 10 will they cancel my visa when I reaply to extend it next year even it has 800k in month 11 to 12. Bearing in mind I renew a month early not on the day its due. So that really means 8 months with 800k I cant touch.

3. Its been suggested this is to pay emergency bills but if you do will it mean the end of your visa?

4. Will compulsary health insurance come on top of this.

What I don't understand is, I if you have to show 65,000 baht incoming to a Thai bank account every month in pension. That is 780,000 THB., according to my calculator. So given that if you have that amount going into a Thai bank account, then you don't need to have any other income of any sort. If you have 800,000 THB and no other income of any sort and supposedly that amount has to stay in your account until you need to get a new extension, what do the Thai immigration think you live on for the 12 months between extensions? I presume if you show 65,000 incoming to your bank account monthly, then I presume when you need to get a new extension, then it shouldn't matter if at the time you apply, if you only have 5  Baht in your account.

come on !!!!! in USA , Europe, Australia.....etc even you have money you can not retire there. Thailand is so nice to let us stay with only little money, Foreigners here do not know their own country immigration law . They are much much tougher than Thailand.  Tell me where you can go if you leave Thailand ? Go back to your own country ? The living standard will be a lot higher than here.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The only post you've made that I agree with.

Paying cash for a home in a country where you have no right to reside is financial madness.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm afraid I have to agree. Color me mad. 

Hong Kong is OK, other than the small matter of 15%+15% stamp duty for residential purchases by foreigners.

I have not read all the pages of replies to the OP, however, the one main change to the combo method of income plus money in the bank is that the income must now be deposited in a Thai bank, whereas before, showing proof of income in ones home country was sufficient.  I am lucky enough to be able to do this, however, I still have insurance and cc bills to be paid in the US and it is difficult to send money back to the US or, I guess, many countries.  It can be done, but with lots and lots of paperwork.  There are some companies that will transfer money but you must be here to do it.  Should you be in your home country for an extended period of time and need the funds that are being deposited into a Thai bank for visa requirements,  I am not sure how that can be done except by using your atm/debit card to buy things.  I wonder if anyone has had the experience of trying to withdraw cash from a Thai account using an atm in, say either the UK or US?

Combo method without embassy letter is extremely questionable at this time. Be warned!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i hope thai immigration fight him own bottom lot, because not has think anythink what do, i hope ALL foreign go out thailand, then many busines and many family no have money, then ewery family cry and thai economy drop lot down,because not have foreign money here, i hope sure immigration idiots need fight to head and could shower how much money move out to thailand, million family give hard life after foreigns go out, how all foreigns wife and childrens live if falang go to out thailand, how busines if boss go out to thailand, big idiot system and immigration not see what happend all idiot rules, thailand live meny million foreign who not have big pension salary and not  can move ewery month too lot money to bank account, i have one normal pension who not have big salary not can move 65 000 B ewery month income and i has invest all money wife and me house and childrens life and school. but all end if no can make visa next yeart, wife no can pay her loans,childrens need change cheaqp school, busines need end i no pay, and more more more many million people economy drop now. big idiot all immigration law maker. no think what him do. newermind my and many other hundre thousand family economy drop dramatic and come lot economy problems many million people now haha,i no pay anythink my family if immigration have idiot.

I do not think that is their job to roll out the red carpet, I doubt very seriously any immigration agent worldwide makes people feel welcome. People are expecting to much almost as if they are special just because they chose Thailand. I will say I have never felt unwelcome by Thai immigration but I do not want them to do other than their job
Also don't expect a red carpet. But I'll never forget my first visit seeking a retirement extension. I was accused of having a fake passport. Very warm and fuzzy that.

I have no problem with immigration trying to stop the agents from ‘ cheating ‘ on behalf of their customers... but surely there’s a better way to go about it then affect ‘ everyone ‘ , everyone that uses the 800k route , where if you work it out needs to effectively be in the bank untouched for the whole year , every year ! 
3 months before , 3 months after = 6 months , then then 3 months before again is 9 months out of the year with just 3 months access to use , and only use 400k . 
I know a lot of people that use agents , which has always puzzled me as to how they do it .  But ok good luck to them , but because of immigration don’t like it we all get penalised , 
this current agent route , must involve  3  routes illegally BANKS , AGENTS , and IMMIGRATION themselves,,, sort them out not us ! 
The corruption food chain has already solved this.

Next...

4 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

Losers...also whoever wants to live/retire there is loser????lovely Laos..Cambodia Indonesia's 1000s of islands even Malaysia more civilised in their treatment towards foreigners wanting to bring money in.

Malaysia. Maybe one should bother to check the requirements.

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

The Thai economy is worth $455,000,000,000 - you and the others will affect it as much as a fly landing on the handrail of an ocean liner !!

Get over yourselves.

Exactly.

Thailand doesn't even appear on the chart of UK expats having their pension deposited abroad. Yet, when I ask people they'd lead you to believe there are hundreds of thousands of Brits, Aussies and Americans keeping Thailand afloat.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1074273/Expat-news-retire-abroad-pension-retirement-destination-Spain-Australia-France

I’m not aware of Thailand’s government giving any assistance, financial support to poor foreign retirees so the crackdown strikes me as odd. Say a retiree living here does not meet the financial requirements but is living a fine life on their own or with the assistance of his Thai wife, her family or his friends, committing no crimes, putting no financial strain on the country. Where’s the problem?

8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

post 9, small changes my ass, you now have to have 800,000 in the bank for 6 months now, (not 3)and must keep 400,000 in the account they cannot touch for ever , so how can this be *small changes* as you say, its a HUGE CHANGE, in everyones case they have to have the 800,000 for 6 months and  they also have to have 6 months living expenses, (like you will need) if you live here that is,? very costly indeed, in my case about 1-3 million baht. its another country for me.

It already got mentioned here. If you need to make a living from the 800,000 (and assuming you have got the amount already) you got the grand option of paying them into your home country bank account. Then transfer 65,000 THB every month to your Thai bank account, collect the proof of money coming in from abroad and do all your future “retirement extensions” by the new “65,000 THB – method”. Ever thought about that? Well, aside from the monthly transfer fees, technically with todays onlinebanking it can be done

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

Would be interesting to follow some of these (sad) stories. What does a 90 (or 70 or 80) year old do returning to say the UK.  With limited funds can you rent a home? would any Council provide you with a home? Do you get off the plane homeless (in -9C weather).

Henryford, The short answer is Yes. I think so many are hanging on here by a wing and a prayer rather than face the prospect of going home even if you have family that would help out. Social services are under pressure and help parents and children first, not old men.

Archived