New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, vogie said:

I believe if you have £16,000 of savings you cannot get help, except for a free TV licence of course.

If you only have a state pension you may be allowed benefits. AFAIK

So is it the Thai or UK govt that has the problem?

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Color me stupid but I don’t get any of this. I’m on a marriage visa and heretofore I’ve just shown my income stream which is more than adequate. Now the rules have changed and the embassy no longer provides the income verification letter. So,

I have put 400K in the bank (required for the marriage visa extension). Really stupid because I was earning 7% in the U S and virtually nothing here. 

And here we go! We have owned a nice home here for 14 years filled with artwork and a life’s possessions and my wife who is Thai has a good job earning a very excellent salary but none of that counts. My assets in the US are considerable but again, they don’t care. They could declare me persona-non-grata tomorrow and I would have to leave everything behind including my Thai family who I provide for.

This entire immigrant system makes no sense whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Docno said:

Yep - at age 90 … excellent plan! 

It is actually not a bad idea.  Just forget about all the rubbish extensions,  90 day reports etc.  Because after all I would really love to see the world media focus on Thai immigration. Imagine, locking up a 90 year old because immigration made changes. Changes not to the deposit amount but to the savings requirements and what can actually be used and when. Changes which actually contradict there previous requirements saying an applicant needed to have 800,000 in a Thai bank account to fund their annual expenses.  Immigration set that amount as enough for annual expenses.   Now they say you only need half that to live but still need to deposit the full 800,000 but don't spend more than 400,000 after 5 months seasoning.

Hello, 

This peson does not bring back its complete story !!!!
it's amazing everyone believes in this version of history without ever going to check !!!
Ridicule does not kill !!!!! 
Thaivisa bears full responsibility in this matter
it's like the version of the Order order immigration advance copy that Thaivisa made and that ultimately the final certified Order Order is different
We will understand why it is done to make Buz so many readers to read the advertisement is lamentable!

8 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

Has anyone here actually been made to feel they are welcome in Thailand by Immigration Officials ???

Why, yes, I was, back in 1996 after my first wife died. Officials at the Suan Phlu Immigration office advised me on how to do visa runs after my wife died until I turned 60 and met the income requirements (at that time two levels depending on age, and my pension was not enough for the higher requirement for those under 60)). The junior officer had processed my application for several years, and the senior officer was very nice. It was a year or two later, when Thaksin was elected the first time, that the xenophobia started at the Ministry of the Interior with the appointment of Purachai. The process did not become so chaotic until the first coup against Thaksin in 2006.

14 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

After reading many of the posts in thread I bet the airports will be packed tomorrow as so many of you pack your bags and leave in disgust/protest.

Nah.

Don't go, the Chinese are still there, trying to get 20 Baht back at the VAT 

refund booth, the waiting time is about 18 hours,  it's a nightmare. :smile: 

chinese_train_station.jpg

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Everyone seems to be focusing on the 800k, and ignoring Rule #3, of having an income of 65k a month, OR  the 800k in the bank.  To me, if you can't show an income of 65k a month, you shouldn't be living here in the first place.  I know an American here in Chiang Mai who has been lying about his income for 10 years.  It's actually only about 35k a month.  Now he frantically trying to change his Retirement Visa to a Marriage Visa, which allows for a combined income of husband and wife.  He's a nice guy, and I wish him luck as, according to him, he has nothing to go back to in the States. 

If you don't pay rent you can live here easy on 30 k a month i don't go to bars and cook my own food the u k pension is less than this.

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nasty post only will cause argument

Must be one of these implants with few posts that are not contributing , only baiting, they should be suspended,   most of the so called newbies post this way, strange as some of them use terms that sound familiar.  Like they were on here before under another name.

3 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

If the Thai Government was really smart, they could just sell 1 year extension of stay, to anyone over 50, for say 30,000 baht per year, with no other qualifications.

Slightly more than the agents are charging now, but direct from the government with a receipt, in & out of the immigration office in a few hours.

Would raise Billions for the Government, and take care of eliminating the agents at the same time, would also releive a lot of work from immigration officers, freeing them upon for more important tasks.

to everyone, but with no strings attached at all, no age discrimination either

"To me, if you can't show an income of 65k a month, you shouldn't be living here in the first place. "

The Australian old age pension is around 44,000 baht a month if you live overseas. And yet a few million ozzies manage to that despite a much higher cost of living? 

I have an 80 year old friend who has lived here for 20 years, he has a Thai wife and two boys who have both had schooling paid by him.  By your reckoning he has no right to have been here, a rather arrogant attitude perhaps. 

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

There is likely to be a stream of these stories in the foreign press. Might be enough to make Thailand take notice as they actually don't like being in a bad light internationally.

They have never been in the news before and won't be in the news now either. 
Even retiree's are seen as sex tourists by foreigners so don't expect any favorable news stories.

10 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Speak the language, work to help Thais, respect their values and culture, contribute to Thai society - and Gee!!! You're welcome. Always worked for me. Oh, my wife makes far more than me.

Actually,  just be NICE and stay under the radar.   Pretty much the same as anywhere in the world.  If the Thai authorities are fed up with some Farang behavior I for one can understand.  I have seen disgusting, despicable, arrogant behavior on many occasions by Farangs visiting or living here.  No, not the majority, but still it really sticks out in this society.   Some of the renters we have had were beyond belief in their actions and attitudes.  We now follow the Thai way:   good tenants in......possible bad tenants no way. 

Unfortunately it may be that the Thais have just had enough of the bad apples..... and thus others are hurt.

Still, I think many on TV have no problems meeting the requirements which are still much more lenient than any western country.   Others?   well,  guess you have to move on to a better, cheaper, less hassle free place.

2 hours ago, Sonhia said:

Poor fella. How much did he spend/loose/ was cheated out of, during his duration within Thailand? My guess a hell of a lot more than a Thai of his age group.

Most, not all, Thais are very good at sweet talking, honey potting, giving the impression all is good, easy and well when it comes to dealing with falang, but the truth is most falang are simply cheated and in general not welcome or liked at all.

For a nation to accept the many handouts over decades to then bite the many hands that have fed them is dispicable. They should step back and take a close look at themselves...It takes just a glance to see the way in which they live. Disgusting.

What about falang fathers with dependants or falang husbands?

Giving foreigners false impressions by means of extortion is an obvious slap in the face and in my opinion a disgrace.

Thailand transliterated simply means land of the free, but for many falang who have resided within the Kingdom, they know far too well the real truths: Visa's, lost properties and soooo on, with no or very little support from the authorities, not unless money is offered up in some or most cases.

I have dependants but sadly I will have to leave them simply because I'm a foreigner with limited rights in what I can achieve in an open prison in order to provide for my dependants.

I wish my government would impose the same restrictions as do the Thai.

Not wanting to sound vindictive, but the real truth is falang are only welcome for a short period, to spend as much as they can, especially within the sex industry, which is illegal, to be cheated and gently forced to get lost. The smiles turn into serious stone faced looks.

Land of fickleness, extortion and lies with prices, in real terms, the same or more than European pricing! Crazy!!

The writing is on the wall. Get out while you can!

The Mediterranean is a great place for most Europeans, with far better service, prices, cleanliness, less roaming packs of filthy dogs that spread bacteria, especially in such a humid climate as found in Thailand, and so on.

The grass is greener. 

Keep on dreaming about the perfect Med. Guess you never visited other than with the ginger on the map.

25 minutes ago, Benroon said:
5 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Exactly,I'm "ONLY 70 " & My State Pension is FROZEN,I've been told by the Pensions office in the U.K ( By Letter ) What I Got the 1st Month I Will get until the day I Leave this mortal coil.....And That's Ya LOT....

Go back tell them your back up goes your pension and leave again.

I have not read all the pages of replies to the OP, however, the one main change to the combo method of income plus money in the bank is that the income must now be deposited in a Thai bank, whereas before, showing proof of income in ones home country was sufficient.  I am lucky enough to be able to do this, however, I still have insurance and cc bills to be paid in the US and it is difficult to send money back to the US or, I guess, many countries.  It can be done, but with lots and lots of paperwork.  There are some companies that will transfer money but you must be here to do it.  Should you be in your home country for an extended period of time and need the funds that are being deposited into a Thai bank for visa requirements,  I am not sure how that can be done except by using your atm/debit card to buy things.  I wonder if anyone has had the experience of trying to withdraw cash from a Thai account using an atm in, say either the UK or US?

8 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

Has anyone here actually been made to feel they are welcome in Thailand by Immigration Officials ???

I do not think that is their job to roll out the red carpet, I doubt very seriously any immigration agent worldwide makes people feel welcome. People are expecting to much almost as if they are special just because they chose Thailand. I will say I have never felt unwelcome by Thai immigration but I do not want them to do other than their job

Pattaya46 made a glib comment re small changes in the rules,they are far from small changes as you now have to keep 400,000 Baht in the bank at all times. For the majority who use the 800,000 Baht as their yearly living expenses this is serious and an am fed up hearing from TV contributors who obviously have plenty of money making unsympathetic comments re people who are not in the same boat as them.

16 minutes ago, rumak said:

I have seen disgusting, despicable, arrogant behavior on many occasions by Farangs visiting or living here. 

The behavior Thais care about is properly kowtowing to the junta and paying up. Otherwise, let it rip, no worries.

Very well expressed! Too bad the ones making all the condescending remarks about going home or bragging about all their so called money will continue to be that way. Wonder about if all the braggarts really have the cash their bragging about. There are many reasons why people living here might not have the sudden cash in bank such as providing for families, paying for school and university for children or Thai relatives, building a home needing to use some of the money in bank, or short term medical (even with good medical coverage). Everyone has different situations to deal with and cant make sudden changes to cash on hand, even though they can live comfortable with the pension money they bring over.

37 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

So is it the Thai or UK govt that has the problem?

I answered a question of what would happen to him if he was a Brit and returned to the UK, it has been established since that the guy is an American. 

I have no intention of playing judge and jury, we have in my opinion enough of those on here already.

Suffice to say I would like to wish him all the best in the world and hope the rest of his life is lived in peace.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A 90 year old doesnt have a pension to live on ??????

I would suggest if a 90 year old is drawing down savings to live, it was going to run out at some stage.

I am assuming this 90 years old is a farang, any reason why he won't have a pension to live on? Maybe he is a Brit and has been here for more than 20 years, and will only have a fraction of his state pension because of no annual pension increases.

In that case it would be the UK government to blame. Any government with any heart at all would grant PR to anyone who has been in their country for at least 20 years, and still paying their way.

44 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Color me stupid but I don’t get any of this. I’m on a marriage visa and heretofore I’ve just shown my income stream which is more than adequate. Now the rules have changed and the embassy no longer provides the income verification letter. So,

I have put 400K in the bank (required for the marriage visa extension). Really stupid because I was earning 7% in the U S and virtually nothing here. 

And here we go! We have owned a nice home here for 14 years filled with artwork and a life’s possessions and my wife who is Thai has a good job earning a very excellent salary but none of that counts. My assets in the US are considerable but again, they don’t care. They could declare me persona-non-grata tomorrow and I would have to leave everything behind including my Thai family who I provide for.

This entire immigrant system makes no sense whatsoever.

What are you on about 400,000k in the bank your good stop worrying about what has not happen. No your stuff in the US means nothing just like your stuff in Thailand means nothing

4 hours ago, garyk said:

If you are young enough to have a 7 year old then why would you want to be in Thailand? Go back home and go to work, take the boy with you. He will have a good education and a good life.

It's probably non of your business why he wants to live in Thailand. It's sad it is breaking up his family for any reason.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am assuming this 90 years old is a farang, any reason why he won't have a pension to live on? Maybe he is a Brit and has been here for more than 20 years, and will only have a fraction of his state pension because of no annual pension increases.

In that case it would be the UK government to blame. Any government with any heart at all would grant PR to anyone who has been in their country for at least 20 years, and still paying their way.

If he is a Brit, his pension in the year 2000 would have been £67, I thought I read he was from the USA?

Archived