New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, malibukid said:

i know of an American veteran who went to a Thai doctor and got a letter certifying that he suffered PTSD. no he gets over 45K per month from the VA

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name .

The above is 100% disability.  50% disability pays about 30,000 baht per month. 

It is quite complicated to get VA to approve a disability in Thailand.  It is not just go to a doctor and get a letter.  That is a grave understatement.  

6500 baht a month is crazy most Thai,s can only dream of that sort of cash , if a family can live on 8000/9000 baht a month why can't a single retiree ? If the Thai government consider this a required amount to live on why not make 65000 a month the minimun wage ? 

6 hours ago, garyk said:

After reading threw many threads here. Personally I think the U.S., SS administration should start cutting benefits for people retiring to Thailand. Basically treating them as Foreigners having worked in the US, and returning home to collect US benefits. That should help shore up the SS monies, and deter retirement in Thailand.

Of course anyone with a current extension of stay would be grandfathered in, but it would essentially stop all people from considering Thailand as a retirement destination, even more that the new rules put in place by Thailand. 

me thinks that U.S. Medicare should be honored here.  this would save the tax payers in the States huge money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If old Americans are like old Canadians, then a person in their 80s or 90s does not get the big pensions that people who are in their 60s or 70s do. So plan all you want, you so called armchair experts. Maybe those who are fortunate enough to still qualify should just be thankful for your lot in life. I feel that there are many heartless, and souless commenters on the forum. I for one am just glad that I still qualify these days.

Geezer

4 minutes ago, malibukid said:

me thinks that U.S. Medicare should be honored here.  this would save the tax payers in the States huge money.

How would paying medical bills for thousands of US folks 65 and older who live in Thailand be a cost saving for US taxpayers?  I'm looking forward to your cost analysis.

9 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

It was most likely due to the fact you or your wife did not have a Burka or Turban on. this can have a negative impact on the way you are treated.

That sort of behaviour can also raise suspicions at uk immigration,  especially at London Heathrow,

now days. :smile:

I was treated quite rudely by an Immigration Officer wearing a turban at Heathrow many years ago and for no good reason.

In the end I told him that I was probably more British than him and that my father had fought for the country.

I then whipped out my British passport which I have never used for travel which left him speechless and moved through.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JAG said:

In all fairness (heavens, what am I saying) UK immigration are a somewhat charmless collection at times... 

I married my Thai wife 6 years ago and promptly took her to Spain, where I have lived since I retired from the UK.

Sure there were hoops to jump throug to obtain her Spanish Foreigners ID Card but it was valid for 5 years.
We traveled in and out of Spain with ease, we were welcomed.

We did a stop over in London, as European Citizens, freedom of movement and all that.

Ite Imm Officer was wonderful.

He took my wife's passport to the chief of the day.

He was authorised tto place a 6 mth entry stamp in her PP.

He said that it would make it easier for us to enter for a planned trip so she could meet my family.

We were welcomed.

We drove to the UK later.

On arrival from France, an IO was waiting for us and promptly clear her entry.

He advised that we get an EEA Family Member visa in her PP as this would make things even easier in the future.

We were welcomed.

In Thailand, most Imm offices are overwhelmed with work so IMHO, it's no wonder that we may feel unwelcome.

B'hell, if I was an IO in Thailand, I think I'd be the same as them - overworked and underpaid and possibly grumpy.

Having said that:

If I wanted to live full time in the UK with my wife, she would have to pass the UK knowledge test and the tests for reading/writing and comprehension - these tests are not free!
I would have to show an annual income of about £18 grand whereas the max current pension is about £6.5 grand.

If the 90 yr old came to Thailand, say 20 years ago, his pension would have been frozen, so his income would not have matched inflation for 20 years...  Who could cope with that?

20 years ago his £ would have got him something like 75 BHT. Today, about 40.

Easy to see how he would have a problem.

Not to mention the inevitable medical expenses that occur as we age.....

I'm surprised he doesn't make a gofund me thing.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pib said:

How would paying medical bills for thousands of US folks 65 and older who live in Thailand be a cost saving for US taxpayers?  I'm looking forward to your cost analysis.

Then try to lobby the Australian government to do the same for the Australian expats living here.

I will not be holding my breath.

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Then try to lobby the Australian government to do the same for the Australian expats living here.

I will not be holding my breath.

The US govt don't do in now for Americans.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

These day's you are pretty much on your own especially as an expat, you could, if there was room, get a bed in an overnight hostel. Best bet in winter would be to commit a crime and get yourself arrested, common now in Japan apparently for poor pensioners. Capitalism these days only works for the young healthy employed. If you have fallen through the cracks of the system, as expats have, you can only hope for grace. 

right on.  there is not GOD just DNA

7 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Well short of the average let alone 'most' (nationalities whining on here)

Median gross earnings in the UK is listed as 22,000 pounds, that will make median take home pay in the region of 17,000 pounds.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Well THANK YOU For your'e ADVICE......How Bloody DARE You.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the guy is giving his opinion, not any advice.
that opinion is up to him,
and it seems to me your reaction is not referring to the post,
thus irrelevant and therefore even more over the top.

6 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I was treated quite rudely by an Immigration Officer wearing a turban at Heathrow many years ago and for no good reason.

In the end I told him that I was probably more British than him and that my father had fought for the country.

I then whipped out my British passport which I have never used for travel which left him speechless and moved through.

Shame you never had a Fezz in your pocket,  you could have whipped out as well. 

Just like That. :smile: 

download.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Cost of caregivers in Thailand 90% less than nurses in USA.  Cost of doctors and medications and intensive care also much cheaper.  Cost of nursing facilities building and staffing a fraction of what it costs in USA.  Cost per day at not for profit hospitals in USA about 30,000 baht. 

Where I lived before, those that were resident already before a certain date could keep the then by regulations amount in the Bank or as income.
Later arrivals, had to show double that amount.

Seems fair, because when someone plans his live on certain rules, and then the rules change, in effect he is getting punished for being a long term resident.

For consideration by those that are in an influencing position to promote a Grand-Fathering ruling on this issue.

Edited by KKr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

What year are you looking at ?

Last year (2018) according to the Office of National Statistics it was £27,271

I also found that the average penis size is only 5.16 inches (not at the Office of National Statistics) so I'm a winner twice over !!

You're looking at the mean, which gets boosted by CEO wages.
I use median, half the population earn more, half the population earn less, which gives a more meaningful view of current wages.

But if you want to argue 9 months take home pay isn't a lot of money, go ahead and I'll put you on ignore.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

What year are you looking at ?

Last year (2018) according to the Office of National Statistics it was £27,271

I also found that the average penis size is only 5.16 inches (not at the Office of National Statistics) so I'm a winner twice over !!

What do you mean

2x national eeeearnings

above both national earnings and average penis size

or2x average penis size

????

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

People on retirement extensions are NOT immigrants!

In fact it isn't even possible to transition from retirement extension to even permanent residence after decades of living here.

Stop with the comparisons to the west. Not relevant.

Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh... of  course if  youd  read what Id  replied to it was that poster who said "immigrants"

Stop with the  hissy  fits  

Edited by kannot

So if two people come from , let's say UK, they need 1.600.000 in the bank yes ? Or do they have a family visa? The Thai government forgets that all money made by agents flows into the Thai sociaty also the retirements from foregners, must be millions of $$ a year. Na Anyway that they wont to stop corruption is a good thing, however not making a good program for retired persons or and family visa's is the second. It's said to see people heading to home country of birth.

Go Cambodia near the Thai border and cross it every day you like, no problem. Cheap to ! 

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A 90 year old doesnt have a pension to live on ??????

I don’t know but he probably does.... which he lives on

maybe he will post something about his life....how long 

hes been here, supporting a family or not..

11 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Feel the love, and respect. 

we've had your money,  now get out  :bah:

The true face of Thailand, in it's full glory. 

Money number one. 

..as khun Shearer said, "Its been nice fleecing you".

• Haha 1