New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

All Thai immigration had to do is get people to provide other documentary evidence to show that peoples pensions were genuine. e.g. UK bank statements, P60's, Annual Tax Payments, Annual Pension increase letter etc.

They barely speak English at immigration let alone know what those documents are.

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So sell one of your properties and all your toys will magically jump back into the pram ! No-one said life is easy. You have options so use them.

No need to sell anything as this stupidity will sooner or later come to an end in this case as well when they realize the consequenses as this is not the first time and will for sure not be the last.

If we should reorganize after every stupidity they come up with it will not be much time for anything else ...

Better to wait and see as I am pretty sure this will be changed sooner or later if it ever will be enforced in the first place …. 

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Without more details, this article is just worthless :sad:

Everyone on Retirement Extension today was supposed to already have 65k/monthly or 800k in bank,

so why exactly can't he stay anymore after these rather small changes in rules 

Prior it didn’t specifically say you had to have the money in the bank or held without using for 5 months. The way I saw it was

making sure you had some type of income for everyday life. 

Maybe this fella has the 65k income every month but can’t afford

to leave money in the bank for 5 months. 

In the USA the percentage of people that have $26,600 USD

the Number is low. Many people/families live month to month.

51 minutes ago, simon43 said:

It's all about the money....

I have a modest income of $1,500 - $2,000 USD per month, which is quite adequate for me to live in Thailand as a single man.

For many years, I have undertaken voluntary work, initially as a Thai translator with the Thai tourist police, then running my educational charity in Burma.  I recently returned to Thailand and continue my unpaid charity work.  I can't easily register my 'one-man-band' charity in Thailand, so it's impossible to get a non-immigrant visa and work permit.  In 18 months from now, my Elite visa will expire and my calculations indicate that I cannot save up enough money for either a retirement visa or new Elite visa, although I am spending tens of thousands of my own money in Thailand each month on my educational charity text-books etc.

Why can't Thailand recognise not only financial contributions from foreigners, but also social contributions? There must be many retired foreigners who would love to teach as volunteers to 'give back' to Thailand, yet they are not allowed to do so. (Yes, I'm very much aware of my own legal position concerning my volunteer work....).

Unless I find a solution, it sounds like I'll be back in Burma in 18 months from now.

You COULD Get Married.....

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So he can't cheat the system anymore and has to go. He shouldn't have been here in the first place if he doesn't have the money.

if he returns to the UK he will cost the government far more money than the required 65K.  the UK so subsidized his visa requirement.  other wise it is all lose lose.  

22 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Exactly 'black up' ?? I'll assume the mods are busy on other threads because that is a total disgrace - well done the morons who posted 'Like' and even 'haha' as well. 

Might have been big joke and his cronies that pressed like.  We all know there is no political correctness in Thailand

You would think that they would just let him live out the remainder of his life. How long has he been here?i thought they used to have the old "grand father" rule that If you had been here from a certain date new rules do not affect them. In my view this is just a callous move by immigration. 

If this New rule came in to make it Harder for the So called Agents Why in the name of Satan just say That one Can't use an agent but has to Apply oneself and leave the rest as it was ,,, Or is this Too easy , Just make it Hard for the Expats? Duh is this Thai Logic?

What did Thailand owe him? Because if you are on his side, you necessarily mist believe Thailand owed him something. And they don't owe foreigners anything. I can't just show up in a country and expect things.

The other point is, "Thailand is losing a 90 year old retiree". I am sure they are sobbing their brains out. 90 year old retirees need things like their asses wiped and are taxing on the health system. Thailand is very gracious but all anybody does is complain because for some reason they feel they are owed something. 

18 minutes ago, malibukid said:

if he returns to the UK he will cost the government far more money than the required 65K.  the UK so subsidized his visa requirement.  other wise it is all lose lose.  

Sad bit is, if was British,  the uk would not care about the loss / expense of any money. They would view it,  as a triumph over a Traitor now forced to come to back to where he belongs,  look what the uk do to its citizens pensions,  whilst the traitor is absent in Thailand. 

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

Would be interesting to follow some of these (sad) stories. What does a 90 (or 70 or 80) year old do returning to say the UK.  With limited funds can you rent a home? would any Council provide you with a home? Do you get off the plane homeless (in -9C weather).

.... to say nothing of the fact that the "old" country will be an alien culture to you. The things you may remember from the past will have been torn down and replaced and the demographics will have change, with many new foreigners living in the old country and the young people with their new music and new words and no respect for the aged and the government having no more regard for you than for any non-resident. Like being a refugee in you rown country. Not something I look forward to with with confidence.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

"Comments reveal that many feel they are no longer welcome in "The Land of Smiles"."

We never ever were welcome in Thailand. It has always only been our money that is welcome.

What have you got to offer?  You.  No one else.  I can read so you don't have to tell me about others. 

Me?  1.  Fought with Thai troops in the army.  2.  Educated and taught Army and Navy schools Thailand.  3.  Pay taxes every year for 20 years.  4.  Have medical insurance.  5.  Help support wife and family 10 years.  6.  Spend 30 million in Thailand. 

My posts on Thai Visa are almost always positive because I look at the society in a positive manner. 

I'm not picking on you but what have you done to be of value to Thailand? 

In my own country I'd let anyone in if they were educated and could provide a skill that America needed.  Old guys looking for young women?  OK if they had enough cash to find the women and not become a burden on society.  I guess that means for old guys only their money would be welcome.   

Wonder when all the 10,000 + + of Thai housewives and Thai husbands to start and respond to all of the new Immigration rules in Thailand. Hope they wake up soon and start and send eE-mail/Facebook and call to the IM head office in Bangkok. But they don`t wake up before they realize that falange move out and it does not get more money, children must stop at schools, power are closed down, rent don't payd,no food on table + + + + WAKE UP.

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

If they're bringing 'loads of money' into Thailand they won't have a problem (and less than 800k cannot be construed as loads of money) - so again the difference is ?

800k is a years pay for most normal western workers.

Seems like a lot of money to me.

6 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

What did Thailand owe him? Because if you are on his side, you necessarily mist believe Thailand owed him something. And they don't owe foreigners anything. I can't just show up in a country and expect things.

The other point is, "Thailand is losing a 90 year old retiree". I am sure they are sobbing their brains out. 90 year old retirees need things like their asses wiped and are taxing on the health system. Thailand is very gracious but all anybody does is complain because for some reason they feel they are owed something. 

So True Dr Evil  Should just blow his brains out or throw him from a building.  The jack-ass was a poor planner or worse; just a poor person.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

That is quite a hefty pension you are receiving, were you a Sub Captain or did you lose all your limbs, give us a breakdown since you brought it up 

i know of an American veteran who went to a Thai doctor and got a letter certifying that he suffered PTSD. no he gets over 45K per month from the VA

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What have you got to offer?  You.  No one else.  I can read so you don't have to tell me about others. 

Me?  1.  Fought with Thai troops in the army.  2.  Educated and taught Army and Navy schools Thailand.  3.  Pay taxes every year for 20 years.  4.  Have medical insurance.  5.  Help support wife and family 10 years.  6.  Spend 30 million in Thailand. 

My posts on Thai Visa are almost always positive because I look at the society in a positive manner. 

I'm not picking on you but what have you done to be of value to Thailand? 

In my own country I'd let anyone in if they were educated and could provide a skill that America needed.  Old guys looking for young women?  OK if they had enough cash to find the women and not become a burden on society.  I guess that means for old guys only their money would be welcome.   

Come on, is this you Donald, spending a little executive time on the web?

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

Er hello. people putting 800k in the bank thought they knew the rues - now they can't start drawing down the 800k to live on the day after their visa is granted because THE RULES HAVE CHANGED.

Who's is going to stop any one drawing from the 800000 the day after the issuing of a new visa, the Bank, Police, Immigration etc. I'll be drawing my cash from day one, then if can not renew the next, bye bye no problem. 

8 hours ago, Rugon said:

He can't complain, he's had a more than average innings. If he doesn't have family/friends here that he can borrow 15k to get a visa through an agent, then he really shouldn't be here as he must have gone delally.

What a sick response.  No respect at all for old age and also no respect for the law.   It is the disregard for the law by those using agents in the way you describe which has caused all this hassle for many law-abiding ex-pats.  

At 90 he still has options.  He could start a new career diving a bicycle (looking like kermity frog) selling ice cream.  From there he can move up the ladder to selling teeshirts,  pillows, bed sheets,  rice cooker etc on buy now pay weekly. After doing that he can move into the big money giving loans by the month at only 20%. By this time he will have moved from a rickity bicycle to a brand new motorbike and life will be good. All this and no work permit required,  no visa and no passport for that matter.

4 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Who's is going to stop any one drawing from the 800000 the day after the issuing of a new visa, the Bank, Police, Immigration etc. I'll be drawing my cash from day one, then if can not renew the next, bye bye no problem. 

It already got mentioned here. If you need to make a living off the 800,000 (and assuming you have got that amount,yet) you got the grand option of paying the 800K into your home country US$ bank account. Then transfer 65,000 THB every month to yourself - to your Thai bank account, collect the proof of money coming in from abroad over the required period of 12 months and do all your future “retirement extensions” by the new “65,000 THB – method”. Ever thought about that? Well, aside from the monthly transfer fees, technically with todays onlinebanking it can be done

a sad story...but for a full retirement that one year visa is just not enough...its enough for one year and at that age a year is nothing...i use this visa before but i am always prepared that they dont extend it because I am not entitled an extension even all requirements are met...so my question is it  possible to receive a permanent resident once an official marriage is done...??? does the current marriage visa have a time limit ? I conclude that 1 y. is not enough to make any permanent resettle plans in los...

33 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Or Manchester !!

We visited the UK last July arriving via Manchester at 10 pm all of us on Aus passports.

There was one IO processing non EU passport holders we waited two and a half hours and people on this site complain about Thai Immigration

Archived