Are you or do you know anyone that has been here before 1998? Did they really allow 200K instead of 800K?

39 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If the 'grandfathering' also applies to married applicants it might be even less than 400K. You need to look up the criteria for marriage extensions and see whether it applies.

I'm quite sure he's not 'done for' as our prophet of doom said above.

At that time combined income husband/wife was allowed.

Not sure when it was stopped but no 'grandfathering' of combination was allowed.

47 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

You are nuts to think that this is hypothetical, in my area alone there are at least 10 expats that I personally know whom are older than 80 years old, most of them have been here for almost 20 years. My american friend in this case is the oldest guy I know of and I've just met with him yesterday.

You must be sick to wish something like this to him.

Who is him? You yourself were replying to a post from fforest1 discussing a hypothetical 87 year old - an example, not a real person, and certainly not your American friend that you've just brought into the discussion. 

I would never wish this kind of misfortune on anyone who actually does exist, everything I've posted on the subject so far has been expressing this point with gusto. My point, as well as that of the post you were responding to (both of which you seem to have misunderstood) is that if immigration proceeds with these uncompassionate policies, we might see more than a few octogenarians forced into overstay situations and perhaps even jailed or deported in their twilight years. I seriously hope it doesn't happen, but if it did, the first time such a case was to hit the news it would be broadcast all over the world and portray Thai immigration as completely heartless. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If the 'grandfathering' also applies to married applicants it might be even less than 400K. You need to look up the criteria for marriage extensions and see whether it applies.

I'll be back to say I told you so when the compulsory insurance hammers falls later this year.

Long stay expats here are currently under siege.

If you want to live in denial "up to you".

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:
14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Why does everyone keep talking about the retirement rules here?

The guy mentioned in the O/Ps submission has been married here for over 20 years!

I'm quite sure that 'grandfathering' also applied to married folk. He should be able to get a married extension for peanuts!

6 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Grandfathering does not apply for the purpose of marriage.

You may be right. I've been trying to research it, but got lost in Imm's useless website.

But no matter. Even if grandfathering does not apply, it is still only 40k per month income for a marriage extension. The O/P said the guy has a good pension so forget retirement and all these new draconian rules and focus on marriage extension.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

There’s going to be a whole lot of disappointment foreigners when that happens along with the other visa changes that are inevitably coming. Thailand wants wealthy foreigners. If that’s not you, you’re going to be screwed.

Bookmark this so we can all revisit and I can say I told you so.

Reading between the lines.. 3 million baht O-X retirement visa.. Thailand elite systems.. I would tend to agree that is the signalling. 

As ever with Thailand they will gradually introduce things, like a frog in hot water, death by a 1000 cuts style.. That way they can control the pressure applied as they see fit, depending n how they do economically. During that time many will remain in denial, many will yell the 'go home if you dont like it' when the element they introduce doesnt apply to them (kind of ironic how the tables have reversed lately from the young guys losing repeat entry and easy tourist visas.. Old stable retirees telling them 'thailand owes you nothing, theres not a class for you' from thier high horse.. and now ??).. 

The only constant since my arrival in 2001 is that none of it has gotten easier.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sleepy99 said:

If he ever gets caught, that means detention and deportation, at his age, not a risk he should take.

Besides, on paper, he would fully qualify to extend based on 200K in the bank because of being here on retirement prior to 1998.

All that is left is, do they recognized and really allow this or not since it's stated on paper in clause 6? because sometimes it might be different in practice. This topic is for asking if someone could share some insights. 

One thing to check, was prior grandfathering included in the previous changes published in the royal gazette.. This time no mention was made of it, as its not a case I have followed I dont know if it was specifically stated in previous ones. 

If it was, and this time isnt, it would imply that hes not going to be grandfathered.. If it wasnt, and grandfathering was assumed, he has a better shot I guess. 

6 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:
46 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

6 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I'll be back to say I told you so when the compulsory insurance hammers falls later this year.

Long stay expats here are currently under siege.

If you want to live in denial "up to you".

Yer right. You can join the long list of all those tore into me when I dared to mention that the monthly income method will continue. 

Edited by Moonlover

27 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Why does everyone keep talking about the retirement rules here?

The guy mentioned in the O/Ps submission has been married here for over 20 years!

I'm quite sure that 'grandfathering' also applied to married folk. He should be able to get a married extension for peanuts!

But he hasnt been on a continuous marriage extension from then.. Surely if its his first marriage extension, as he switches from the (grandfathered) retirement clause to the new marriage clause, he would come under marriage rules now ??

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You may be right. I've been trying to research it, but got lost in Imm's useless website.

There has never been a grandfathering for extensions based upon marriage. The only thing done when it went from 250k to 400k baht and 25k baht to 40k baht was a year for them to adjust to the new requirements.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Reading between the lines.. 3 million baht O-X retirement visa.. Thailand elite systems.. I would tend to agree that is the signalling. 

As ever with Thailand they will gradually introduce things, like a frog in hot water, death by a 1000 cuts style.. That way they can control the pressure applied as they see fit, depending n how they do economically. During that time many will remain in denial, many will yell the 'go home if you dont like it' when the element they introduce doesnt apply to them (kind of ironic how the tables have reversed lately from the young guys losing repeat entry and easy tourist visas.. Old stable retirees telling them 'thailand owes you nothing, theres not a class for you' from thier high horse.. and now ??).. 

The only constant since my arrival in 2001 is that none of it has gotten easier.. 

Yep. Remember a few years bacl when they were cracking down on the ED visa. Those on retirement extensions were riding high in the saddle then.  Now it's their turn to have their lives torn apart.

Edited by Khaeng Mak
  • Sad 2

Brings into harsh light also all those who have said for so long what a waste of time PR is.. 

I am only in my 40s.. Here for now 18 years.. If I am still wishing to be resident in my 50s I can see the economics of paying myself a taxable salary for a few years, specifically to apply for PR.. 

The added security for old age is valuable. 

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There has never been a grandfathering for extensions based upon marriage. The only thing done when it went from 250k to 400k baht and 25k baht to 40k baht was a year for them to adjust to the new requirements.

Can you remember when the combination husband/wife income was stopped? 

I'm guessing it was at the same time as they raised the 250k to 400k. Or was the combination method 'just allowed' but not an official law/rule?

To clarify my friend situation on what type of Visa he has been on since 1995, he has always been on a retirement Visa since he applied for it back then, not a marriage Visa. They got married after he already was on a retirement Visa, and he just kept extending his retirement Visa for the past 24 years, hence he would qualify for 200k in the bank, based on what is written.

I asked an immigration officer in Iron about this.......as applies to me.  I came here in 1996 at age 46 and am on the same Non-O visa.  After some conversation with another official, she said I qualify.

I understand that what she says today and what actually happens in I renew later in the year may not be the same.  In the meantime, I know of 2 other udonites ho qualify.  One renews in March

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Can you remember when the combination husband/wife income was stopped? 

It was started in 2006 and then it was rescinded in 2008. They gave the usual year for them to adjust when it was rescinded.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

From a pragmatic point of view, how would he prove that?

His older passports would be gone for sure one would imagine?

And immigration cannot even keep records on a retiree for more than 12 months. I have to submit reams of the exactly the same documents year after year.

He has never left the country since 1995, if I do remember correctly I've seen some times on the extension stamps, they put the number of times he has done an extension. Other than that, I'm sure it's traceable.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Great post I agree 100%........It has been sickening watching thoes with retirement visas.....Belittle thoes with lower class visas like a pack of wild hyenas for the last 10 years...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

I asked an immigration officer in Iron about this.......as applies to me.  I came here in 1996 at age 46 and am on the same Non-O visa.  After some conversation with another official, she said I qualify.

I understand that what she says today and what actually happens in I renew later in the year may not be the same.  In the meantime, I know of 2 other udonites ho qualify.  One renews in March

Thanks for sharing, good to know they do honor the clause in practice as well. I wasn't sure if it was just a remnant that got carried along with each new order or not, but not recognized.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

He has never left the country since 1995, if I do remember correctly I've seen some times on the extension stamps, they put the number of times he has done an extension. Other than that, I'm sure it's traceable.

The extension should relate back to the original visa.. 

How that would trace back so many passports boggles the mind but.. 

14 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

You clearly do not qualify. The police order is very specific that you have had to be on retirement extensions continually since 1998, and you were not old enough in 1998 to have had a retirement extension.

Sophon

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

To clarify my friend situation on what type of Visa he has been on since 1995, he has always been on a retirement Visa since he applied for it back then, not a marriage Visa. They got married after he already was on a retirement Visa, and he just kept extending his retirement Visa for the past 24 years, hence he would qualify for 200k in the bank, based on what is written.

They might ask him to proof that he is such a case, which means he would needs all his passports since then, did he keep them?

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

How is that even supposed to work? Who entered Thailand before Oct. 1998, staying here on retirement extensions since then, would be at least 70 (born in 1948), not 60 or 55! Except, of course, if retirement extensions were granted to 40-year olds back then... 

Whenever the order was written those ages would have addressed people who were younger at that time than they are now in 2019. At this point that part of the order is probably irrelevant but wouldn't exclude anyone who otherwise qualifies.

My agent also said mandatory insurance is coming soon. They’ve never steered my wrong so I have no reason not to believe them. 

I’m leaving hopefully by the end of this year plus I’m already insured so I’m not concerned either way.

There’s going to be a whole lot of disappointment foreigners when that happens along with the other visa changes that are inevitably coming. Thailand wants wealthy foreigners. If that’s not you, you’re going to be screwed.

I'm here on a year extension based on marriage. One month ago, before applying for a new extension, my wife went to the amphur fo the usual koror 2 and she has been told the same: soon the health insurance will be among the requirements. Obviously we should wait and see... but apparently the option is really on the table. I have one for every member of my family and I honestly believe it is necessary in this country, but I'm aware that many will have some hard time to get one, some for money matters and some for pre-existing medical conditions... I have a friend who has been refused by Aetna just because he suffers of hypertension, a bit excessive... don't you think? Furthermore the older you get the more difficult it is find one which accepts you here in Thailand...

Sent from my oppo f9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcnx said:

My agent also said mandatory insurance is coming soon. They’ve never steered my wrong so I have no reason not to believe them. 

I’m leaving hopefully by the end of this year plus I’m already insured so I’m not concerned either way.

So you think. I have lived in Asia most of my life and the last 22 years in Thailand. Mark my words: either insurance with 400.000 THB coverage or a permanent fixed deposit of 400.000 THB. 

49 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They might ask him to proof that he is such a case, which means he would needs all his passports since then, did he keep them?

Every time you get a new passport you need to get the stamps put in which includes one with the first day when you were granted a one year visa. In my case a non - B on 9th April 1998.

57 minutes ago, jackdd said:

As said: if uninterrupted the stamp with the date of the first one year visa  is always stamped in to the new passport on the 1st page. 

1 hour ago, sleepy99 said:

clarify my friend situation on what type of Visa he has been on since 1995, he has always been on a retirement Visa since he applied for it back then, not a marriage Visa. They got married after he already was on a retirement Visa, and he just kept extending his retirement Visa for the past 24 years, hence he would qualify for 200k in the bank, based on what is written.

He absolutely qualifies- he was of age; his extensions unbroken and he can put 200K in the bank.