Risk Prison or Roll the Dice?!? Help!

Hey everyone!

These forums are a heaven send! Thank you so much.

So I came back to Bangkok to DM airport 2 weeks ago and the IO said that I have "too many" tourist visas.

He said he could deny me entry, but for "this time" he would put a note on my file to deny me entry next time if I had a tourist visa

Before this happened, I booked a flight from BKK to Seoul --> Osaka, Japan --> BKK

So now I'm stuck!

I can't change the flight at all and with 30kg of luggage!

So my options are as follows and in according to $$

1) Get a Tourist Visa in Seoul and "try my luck"

2) Get a Tourist Visa in Seoul and "try my luck" w/ purchase a back up flight to KL on the same day in case I get denied + and come in through border. There is no option of connecting my flights ????

- BIG QUESTION: If I get denied but have 30kg luggage, am I allowed to pick up luggage before I leave to KL?

3) Get a Tourist Visa in Seoul and book a new ticket directly from Osaka, Japan to Chiang Mai/Vientenne --> cannot seem to get a connecting flight from Bkk to CM from my carrier.

4) Get an Ed visa for Muay Thai but 30k+

I researched all over already but if you guys can help that'd be great!!

Cut your loses. Osaka have good flights to Saigon. Fly there. If your HAVE to go to Thailand use border crossing. Without knowing your detailed time in los and number of setv its impossible to advise. However bkk airports becoming very unfriendly to many setv. 

Personally I wouldn't risk it because refusal of enter can be hell. Obtaining a setv while away does not guarantee entry via bkk airport. What nationally is  pp

Edited by DrJack54
Error

I have about 5 Tourist Visas and 3 Non-Visa Entries as I am Canadian so I get 30 days. I was in and out for a few days for an errand and I think that threw them off. Cutting my loses is so expensive either way. 

Edited by Funny84

Just now, Funny84 said:

I have about 5 Tourist Visas and 3 Non-Visa Entries as I am Canadian so I get 30 days.

If you decide the Vietnam option I suggested from Osaka you will need visa but can obtain online approval letter and then VOA. Takes 48 hour for letter. Given 5 TV and 3 visa exempt to Los, I'm surprised you have got this far. Only my opinion but I would not fly to bkk.

Having ticket to kl may not help as it will be 2 separate bookings. They can and may send you back to Osaka. At least you will be admitted there. I think you need think carefully. People with more experience than me may advise otherwise

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is a rare airline ticket that cannot be changed at all. fees for changing, yes, but impossible to change the route?

Ha, seem im following your posts. Which not the case. I fly every week. Given they are always low cost airline. AirAsia, lion jetstar etc.

They allow changes but "change cost" is always more than new flight. The op could cancel flight and be reimbursed the airport taxes, which are substantial. However takes many weeks for that process. I never bother. BTW flight changes do not include change of destination.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Funny84 said:

Yes I called and they can't change anything or even get a partial refund, cheap ticket no refund = that's how they makes the money ????

No really. All airlines offer different options and insurance. You choose base ticket. I'm very happy they offer base ticket. You now need new ticket to anywhere other than bkk. No 20k baht in pocket or onward flight will help if they decide refuse entry. Distinct possibility. I would be on skyscanner rather than Thaivisa

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Funny84 said:

cannot seem to get a connecting flight from Bkk to CM from my carrier.

That would not help anyway, since you would still clear immigration in the hornet's nest BKK.

If you had an ongoing ticket, and presented this right-away at the desk, you would almost certainly be able to use it.  But, if you did not immediately state you are just here to go to another flight, it could be a problem if you revealed it only later - especially if trying to enter with an SETV, first.

There was a case awhile back - guy was rejected entry and sent back to Laos.  He bought another ticket to his passport-country, but the flight routed through Bangkok.  They were not happy to see him at first, but he explained, "I am flying onward," and showed them the ticket. and they were satisfied with that, and let him proceed to departures. 

I don't know how the luggage routing would work, but as you were never even denied-entry, I cannot see why they would not let you fly onward to Laos on a same-day ticket.  You won't have a chance to see a Thai GF or something - which is what they desperately want to prevent.

Ironically, not having a fresh SETV in your passport (from Seoul) would probably be best for this plan - so you are not letting them know that your plan is to enter Thailand at an entry point that follows the law (Nong Khai, unlike them). "Too many tourist visas" is not a valid reason to deny entry - and they know it, but they also know no one will do anything when they break the law. 

Edited by JackThompson

11 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Use the first 2 legs or your flight, then fly from Osaka to Manilla or somewhere that wants your bucks as thailand has made it clear they dont want you here. No real great loss for the last leg

If so - don't stay in Manila, though.  Many nicer and safer places in the PI. 

16 hours ago, baansgr said:

then fly from Osaka to Manilla or somewhere that wants your bucks as thailand has made it clear they dont want you here.

Not a good solution if OP has all his friends in Thailand , maybe a girlfriend waiting.  That's why they are all so desperate to come back to Thailand. It's like a virus. Not easy to cure. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your contribution. I do respect Thailand and I do respect its laws, the only reason why its tightening its laws is because OTHER TOURISTS have abused Thailand. I do not commit crime, do drugs, pay everything in full price, and respect its culture. I am a great tourist for them to have and a BENEFIT not a COST to the economy and society and culture. Thanks again though ????. Also just because I list cities on a message, doesn't mean its true. Welcome to the internet.

Edited by Funny84

2 hours ago, balo said:

Not a good solution if OP has all his friends in Thailand , maybe a girlfriend waiting.  That's why they are all so desperate to come back to Thailand. It's like a virus. Not easy to cure. 

There's a girlfriend waiting in every country in SEA ..... for every white foreigner that flies in.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Try applying for a metv in your home country. It seems the only way to avoid hassle as a long stay tourist. I've never heard of problems with it.

Single entries and on arrival visas is asking for trouble.

I agree that visa exempt entries by air are too risky. The METV eliminates the need to apply for visas for eight months or so, but is no panacea if you want to enter by air. The immigration official can still decide you are not a "genuine tourist", and decide to give you grief. The only real issue with the SETV, compared to an METV, is that you need to research carefully which consulates are safe for your next visa application. In general, it has become more difficult to live in Thailand for years on end just using tourist visas.

Can I ask, over what period have you had the x5 and x3 visas? 

Also, are you living in Thailand? or just visit a lot (over the period of the above).

I got asked for the fist time 2 trips ago at BKK, if I had a visa or not? I said no, and that I was only staying for 17 days to visit my son (Thai, I'm now divorced), no further questions asked.  I have x4 hols to Thailand every year and have done so for the past 9 years, without fail.  I have always expected the odd question, sometimes they ask why I'm going to Loei (my sons home), I always carry a copy of my Marriage Cert and sons birth Cert (both with English translations and legalised) and my divorce cert (thai only) just incase.  

The good news....18 months to go and I'm there for good.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 7:32 AM, balo said:

well ..people had set up there life in thailand at a time when even a hundret tourist visas where no problem...a lady ...nice friends expats and thais alike maybe some investments...and now when times  changed every time u go out u are not sure to come in again...I think the one year visa is a good option..even nobody know what after this one year will happen..but at least u are covered for that year

Edited by fouryesrs
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, fouryesrs said:

well ..people had set up there life in thailand at a time when even a hundret tourist visas where no problem...a lady ...nice friends expats and thais alike maybe some investments...and now when times  changed every time u go out u are not sure to come in again...I think the one year visa is a good option..even nobody know what after this one year will happen..but at least u are covered for that year

What one year visa option are you referring to?

your risk isn't so much the 'prison', but being sent back to your passport country.  many people survive just fine in the detention room at the airports.  maybe you get sent back to japan, but it might be better to go to your passport country. 

your circumstances seem to indicate the need for a new SETV and a land border crossing rather than an airport entry.  but you can weigh the cost of that option versus the cost of being sent back to your passport country (after denial upon arrival from KIX).  if you've left nothing behind in thailand, a flight back home might not be so bad.

maybe fly from KIX to SGN, to get an SETV there.  then fly to penang or KL and take the train to the border and a domestic flight from hat yai.

if you plan to stay a long time in thailand using SETV's, you've got to be prepared to start using land borders once you have an issue at one of the airports.

I have about 5-6 SETVs.

My plan was to trying to get an SETV overseas and try at the airport, if I get denied to book a flight to KL try to get an SETV there and come back through land.

The IO last time said he can't let me in and put a note on the comp, but I don't think he did.

My question is:

Can I book a flight to KL when I get rejected or do I have to book a flight back to my home country/or country I just came from?

Thanks!

Does to many Visa on entries from USA out me in this same risk?   I have visited 6-7 times last 3 years.  All visa on arrival.   I'm not living in Thailand. But July 18 for a month, last Dec Jan 59 days, July 18 2 weeks, Nov 5 days, returning in 2 weeks for 14 days.  If IO says anything what do or don't I tell them.  I do plan to visit a woman.