Do I need a letter from my bank for Extension of stay based on Retirement ?

Although there's nothing anywhere (that I've seen) to suggest that what you say is a fact, I too believe that this will be the method used for verification of finances for retirees.

To expect immigration to perform multiple money verifications over the course of the year is ludicrous, but I suppose nothing here in Thailand should surprise anyone anymore. Apart from anything else the time taken by IO's to nitpick through some farang's bank statements would clog up the offices, nevermind for those guys who stepped out of the country and re-entered causing their 90-day checks and financial checks to fall out of alignment.

Common sense would suggest that an annual verification prior to extension would be the way forward. But I learned to stop holding my breath in Thailand.
Common sense?
You're funny.
There is nothing common or any logical sense to these new rules.
They are supposedly meant to ferret out corruption which they won't but what they do so is punish long term compliers.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On timing the old rule is two months before for the first extension and three for subsequent. 800k

The new rule 800k is two months before and three subsequent and then no less than 400k for the rest of the months.

Nothing harmed by being paranoid and doing three months before on the new rules but technically you don't need to and that's one of the things that is quite clear in the order. Famous last words.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Martyp said:

I also maintain a constant 800,000+ baht balance throughout the year. I only have one account. I transfer money for month-to-month living to that account and just don't let the account balance to drop below 800,000. The bank letter just confirms that I meet the financial rules.

The bank letter just confirms you are the owner of the account, and the amount on the day it is issued.

You also need a 3 month statement stamped & signed by the bank (or some times a copy of the bank-book if it's kept up to date is accepted) to allow the I/O to confirm you have seasoned the funds adequately.

I suspect that in future you will need a 12 month statement (or possibly longer, ie. 13 months, back to your previous extension date) to allow the I/O to confirm the account has been operated above the new specified minimums.  

On 2/7/2019 at 8:55 PM, Pilotman said:

it's Thailand and although we know it doesn't always happen, it's the same rules for everywhere.

Phuket offers A drive thru to do your 90day report, just produce your passport if you have a previous 90 day report slip in the back of your passport

• Like 1

22 hours ago, steve73 said:

The bank letter just confirms you are the owner of the account, and the amount on the day it is issued.

You also need a 3 month statement stamped & signed by the bank (or some times a copy of the bank-book if it's kept up to date is accepted) to allow the I/O to confirm you have seasoned the funds adequately.

I suspect that in future you will need a 12 month statement (or possibly longer, ie. 13 months, back to your previous extension date) to allow the I/O to confirm the account has been operated above the new specified minimums.  

No. Last November the Immigration Officer in Bangkok wouldn’t accept my 6 months of Kasikorn statements. She wrote down what she wanted. I took that note downstairs to Kasikorn Bank. They issued the letter which I then gave to the IO. She took that letter and not the statements and sent the bundle of documents to be reviewed. I also updated my passbook that day after withdrawing 1000 baht. I got my first 1 year extension of stay an hour later.

Edited by Martyp

10 hours ago, Martyp said:

No. Last November the Immigration Officer in Bangkok wouldn’t accept my 6 months of Kasikorn statements. She wrote down what she wanted. I took that note downstairs to Kasikorn Bank. They issued the letter which I then gave to the IO. She took that letter and not the statements and sent the bundle of documents to be reviewed. I also updated my passbook that day after withdrawing 1000 baht. I got my first 1 year extension of stay an hour later.

OK.. Did you just try to use self printed statements with any letter initially.?

If you tried with the usual bank letter & bank issued statement then it's a new one on me, so thanks for the warning..! 

I'll be finding out next week if Imm. need anything other than the usual letter & 3 month statement when I (hopefully) get my extension.

Before I went to Immigration I payed Kasikorn 200 baht to print 6 months of past statements. These were the statements the Immigration officer didn’t care about. She instructed me to go to the Kasikorn office downstairs to get “the letter”. It is whatever she wrote down on the note she gave me. I have a photo of the letter. It is in Thai. I should probably get it translated. I was just planning to show it to the bank next year to show them what I wanted.

Get a printout of your statements. I’m always in favor of being over prepared. 

14 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Before I went to Immigration I payed Kasikorn 200 baht to print 6 months of past statements. These were the statements the Immigration officer didn’t care about. She instructed me to go to the Kasikorn office downstairs to get “the letter”. It is whatever she wrote down on the note she gave me. I have a photo of the letter. It is in Thai. I should probably get it translated. I was just planning to show it to the bank next year to show them what I wanted.

Get a printout of your statements. I’m always in favor of being over prepared. 

It would be great if you could post a copy of "the letter" here - Thai version alone would be very helpful.