Do I need a letter from my bank for Extension of stay based on Retirement ?

Have been on retirement visa for many years in Khon Kaen.

My last Extension of stay based on Retirement was in December 2018.

I have my first 90 day report for that visa on 25th February 2019.

I always maintain the 800K in the bank throughout the year.

Do I need / should I get a bank letter for my 90 day report as it falls before March 1st ???

You will not need it for your 90 day report. Number one reason is the new rules only apply for extension done after March 1st. And the rules do not state anything about showing you bank balance when doing a 90 day report.

• Like 2

The 90 day report is in no way linked to your visa. It is simply a confirmation of your domicile, nothing more, and requires you to confirm your location, a copy of your passport data page, a copy of your current visa & entry permit, a copy of your last date of entry stamp and a copy of your arrival departure card. And the original of the last 90 day  report certificate.

You only need the bank letter next time you apply for a visa extension.

14 minutes ago, brommers said:

The 90 day report is in no way linked to your visa. It is simply a confirmation of your domicile, nothing more, and requires you to confirm your location, a copy of your passport data page, a copy of your current visa & entry permit, a copy of your last date of entry stamp and a copy of your arrival departure card. And the original of the last 90 day  report certificate.

Copies?  I have never provided copies of anything for my 90 day report at Jomtien.  I just produce my passport, they check the stamps and my last report certificate, ask if I am still at the same address and then place a new paper receipt in the passport. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Copies?  I have never provided copies of anything for my 90 day report at Jomtienm.  I just produce my passport, they check the stamps and my last report certificate, ask if I am still at the same address and then place a new paper receipt in the passport. 

He is not in Jontien so not relevant.

Edited by Justin Side
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not need it for your 90 day report. Number one reason is the new rules only apply for extension done after March 1st. And the rules do not state anything about showing you bank balance when doing a 90 day report.

Many thanks for the visa info Ubon.

On another question I have been thinking about moving to Ubon, possibly across the bridge ( Warin Chamrap area ), do you know of any good estate agents there ?

10 hours ago, brommers said:

Thanks brommers.

I assume. under the new regulations, that will mean a bank letter WILL BE required for the 2 month period BEFORE applying for a new retirement extension ?

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Copies?  I have never provided copies of anything for my 90 day report at Jomtien.  I just produce my passport, they check the stamps and my last report certificate, ask if I am still at the same address and then place a new paper receipt in the passport. 

Things may change, forewarned is forearmed!

At least in Khon Kaen they always ask for all documents and the staff most helpful.

16 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks DrJack54 for the confirmation.

It seems with new rules we all will need to be alert to make sure we don't by accident fall below the new magic levels. The 800k also needs (in future) to be maintained AFTER extension is granted for 3 months. So far no indication as to how that will be checked. Certainly not using 90 day report. 

Then there is the 400k minimum for remainder of year. Ridiculous.

We all will have our our plan. For myself I will just stick 800k+ in a fixed deposit and forget about it. Only purpose is to satisfy these stupid rules. They also say "vaguely" wish to see activuty. My plan is to open another account as use it as my in/out bank ac. Will transfer funds into that ac and use it for monthly expenses. That's all fine for some people. No fine if you have enough to live but not enough to play these absurd games.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It seems with new rules we all will need to be alert to make sure we don't by accident fall below the new magic levels. The 800k also needs (in future) to be maintained AFTER extension is granted for 3 months. So far no indication as to how that will be checked. Certainly not using 90 day report. 

There there is the 400k minimum for remainder of year. Ridiculous.

We all will have our our plan. For myself I will just stick 800k+ in a fixed deposit and forget about it. Only purpose is to satisfy these stupid rules. They also say "vaguely" wish to see activuty. My plan is to open another account as use it as my in/out bank ac. Will transfer funds into that ac and use it for monthly expenses. That's all fine for some people. No fine if you have enough to live but not enough to play these absurd games.

I assume it will mean 3 bank letters, 2months before visa app, day of visa app and 3months after visa app.

I was under the impression ( from comments once made at KK visa office some time ago ), that funds could not be drawn off the 800k account even if it did not cause it to drop below the 800K.   I once 'treated myself' to some of the interest earned and was admonished at the visa office.

3 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

I assume it will mean 3 bank letters, 2months before visa app, day of visa app and 3months after visa app.

I was under the impression ( from comments once made at KK visa office some time ago ), that funds could not be drawn off the 800k account even if it did not cause it to drop below the 800K.   I once 'treated myself' to some of the interest earned and was admonished at the visa office.

That is a surprise. I assumed the 800k for the 3 month post extension was the minimum amount. As for bank letters, I don't think I agree. There will need to be one on day of application showing balance not below 800k for TWO months (previously 3 months). No mention yet as to how the 3 month post application date will be checked. You suggest another bank letter. Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind lot of members talk about their local io office like its chess club. Clearly haven't been to the Zoo otherwise know as CW. Will be interesting to see what the powers to be decide. I don't see a simple solution other than checking the 3 months at next extension. Who knows!

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That is a surprise. I assumed the 800k for the 3 month post extension was the minimum amount. As for bank letters, I don't think I agree. There will need to be one on day of application showing balance not below 800k for TWO months (previously 3 months). No mention yet as to how the 3 month post application date will be checked. You suggest another bank letter. Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind lot of members talk about their local io office like its chess club. Clearly haven't been to the Zoo otherwise know as CW. Will be interesting to see what the powers to be decide. I don't see a simple solution other than checking the 3 months at next extension. Who knows!

My local bank ( I live 50km south of KK ) will not / cannot ? issue the letter so I will have to travel to KK anyway.   I use local transport, the old office I would get off the bus in KK, go to the bank then onward to the IO.    Now I will have to go to KK then backtrack to IO.   Makes a nice day out ....

5 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

My local bank ( I live 50km south of KK ) will not / cannot ? issue the letter so I will have to travel to KK anyway.   I use local transport, the old office I would get off the bus in KK, go to the bank then onward to the IO.    Now I will have to go to KK then backtrack to IO.   Makes a nice day out ....

My guess (and that's all it is) is that you will do in future exactly what you do now. One trip annually to immigration. The difference will be that when all these rules are in place your bank letter will verify 

1. You bank balance for previous two months was 800 or more.

2. Prior to those 2 months its balance was at least 400. So approx 7 months (depends when you make app)

3. Your bank balance was 800 min for 3 months after your last annual extension.

If any of those not met then you would need to exit before your current permission of stay ends. 

Presumably for some this would then mean obtaining new non o and having another crack.

Any ideas in other scenarios welcome but please don't suggest the 3 month balance 800 after extension to be checked at 90 day report. That's crazy.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Any ideas in other scenarios welcome but please don't suggest the 3 month balance 800 after extension to be checked at 90 day report. That's crazy.

I agree we don't know given no official statement, but there was one report here - even before the new-rules should have begun - they reset the applicant's 90-day count, and said he would need to show the 800K was still in the bank when making that report:

If they go this route, then the alternative to someone who was not in the country for a full 90-days, would be to catch them on their TM-30 "reporting I am back" report.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheThai said:

The way I understand it.  Checking of the 3 months after and the 400k balance remaining in the account will be check on the next renewal.

This would be the simplest method, but I have not seen any statement from anyone at immigration to this effect.

2 minutes ago, TheThai said:

The way I understand it.  Checking of the 3 months after and the 400k balance remaining in the account will be check on the next renewal.  So if you violate those requirements you will be OK for the full year of that extension BUT when you go to extend again and show your new set of bank statements and it is noticed that a). you didn't have 800k for the 3 months after your prior extension or b). Your balance throughout the year went below the 400k ... you would then NOT be eligible for another extension renewal. 

Although there's nothing anywhere (that I've seen) to suggest that what you say is a fact, I too believe that this will be the method used for verification of finances for retirees.

To expect immigration to perform multiple money verifications over the course of the year is ludicrous, but I suppose nothing here in Thailand should surprise anyone anymore. Apart from anything else the time taken by IO's to nitpick through some farang's bank statements would clog up the offices, nevermind for those guys who stepped out of the country and re-entered causing their 90-day checks and financial checks to fall out of alignment.

Common sense would suggest that an annual verification prior to extension would be the way forward. But I learned to stop holding my breath in Thailand.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My guess (and that's all it is) is that you will do in future exactly what you do now. One trip annually to immigration. The difference will be that when all these rules are in place your bank letter will verify 

2. Prior to those 2 months its balance was at least 400. So approx 7 months (depends when you make app)

If any of those not met then you would need to exit before your current permission of stay ends. 

Presumably for some this would then mean obtaining new non o and having another crack.

My guess (and that's all it is) is that you will do in future exactly what you do now. One trip annually to immigration. At present I make 4 trips annually - 3 x 90 days and 1 x application again for extension of stay.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The 90 reports are not related to permission of stay. I have never done one in 7 years. If I did I would do them online.

I appreciate that but why do I need to report every 90 days ?  Yes, its related to 3 month visas but .....

As for doing online not sure how acceptable or easy this is.

24 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

I appreciate that but why do I need to report every 90 days ?  Yes, its related to 3 month visas but .....

As for doing online not sure how acceptable or easy this is.

Hello Speedo, you have learned so far that every immigration office does things completely differently.

So only people with experience at your immigration office can convey their experience to you. The rest is only helpful to a point.

Remember to view all interactions with the Thai government through the prism of corruption. That will help answer your question "Why". 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

This stated "two months" before application.

Have a feeling it's the same as it is now. Two months before for first application and three months for every extension afterward. Meaning that your bank balance cannot fall below 800k for six months.

3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

This stated "two months" before application.

Have a feeling it's the same as it is now. Two months before for first application and three months for every extension afterward. Meaning that your bank balance cannot fall below 800k for six months.

No. Are you basing that on the previous 2 month for first extension and 3 subsequent? 

I understand it to be 2 prior to all extensions. In any event I'm putting 800k into a fixed term account next week and pull out bankbook one a year for my annual extension. Stuff the bludgers.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No. Are you basing that on the previous 2 month for first extension and 3 subsequent? 

I understand it to be 2 prior to all extensions. In any event I'm putting 800k into a fixed term account next week and pull out bankbook one a year for my annual extension. Stuff the bludgers.

For the first extension. After that it's three months before and three months after. Six months.

Do you really want to chance putting it in two months before and then be told by immigration it has to be three months before and have your application rejected?

4 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

For the first extension. After that it's three months before and three months after. Six months.

Do you really want to chance putting it in two months before and then be told by immigration it has to be three months before and have your application rejected?

I don't give a flying. I have already stated I'm locking in 800k for 12 month ongoing. Unless I'm misreading your take on 3 or 2 month prior AFTER new regs come into effect who cares. I'm reading ubonjoe advice. (Unless I have misunderstood, in future it will be 2 months prior and 3 month post) 

Why are you so cock sure?

Anyway for me mute point.

90 day reports have nothing to do with extensions of stay. You had to do them before the recent changes to financial rules. We don't know yet how they will confirm the 800,000 baht 3 months after being granted an extension of stay. That is to be determined. Everything else is speculation.

I also maintain a constant 800,000+ baht balance throughout the year. I only have one account. I transfer money for month-to-month living to that account and just don't let the account balance to drop below 800,000. The bank letter just confirms that I meet the financial rules.

The way I understand it.  Checking of the 3 months after and the 400k balance remaining in the account will be check on the next renewal.  So if you violate those requirements you will be OK for the full year of that extension BUT when you go to extend again and show your new set of bank statements and it is noticed that a). you didn't have 800k for the 3 months after your prior extension or b). Your balance throughout the year went below the 400k ... you would then NOT be eligible for another extension renewal. 
No. That determination has not yet been made. The enforcement details on this new ridiculous onerous seasoning on steroids is not yet set. Of course it may and probably will vary between different offices.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app