Psoriasis

Bang Bang

Some information psoriasis patients might find useful:

I have been a long-time sufferer, was diagnosed initially in the US more than 20 years ago, have been doing topicals and occasional stretches of UVB since, both in the US and here. My condition progressively worsened and my dermatologist (at the Institute of Dermatology, Ratchawithi) wanted to escalate me to methotrexate but I was scared of the sideeffects. Biologics were prohibitively expensive so I struggled along with topicals, various creams/oils and clothing that covered me up.

Quite by accident last Oct. I found out that a biologic called Scapho had been launched by Novartis in India at around Rs. 15000/syringe (that's about 7000b) vs. its equivalent Cosentyx > $5000/syringe in the US. Straight away went to Kolkata to a skin clinic there where the doc told me to try Apremilast first. Cost of Apremilast (brand Aprezo) in India = Rs. 3000 for one months supply of tabs, that's < 1500b vs. cost in the US (brand Otezla) more than $3000/month.

Aprezo worked like magic for me and I have been 90% clear now for about 4 months (yes, there are sideeffects like loose motion, headaches, but nothing unbearable so far).

Now, I don't know what the latest situation in Thailand is with psoriasis drugs because I haven't seen my doc at the Institute of Dermatology for about 2 years now. Still wanted to share that these new and powerful drugs, hugely expensive in the West, are relatively cheap now in India. You might want to look into this if you are not happy with the results of treatment here.

The clinic I went to in Kolkata is Wizderm. The round trip fare Bkk-Kol on Indigo is about 6000b. PM me if you need more info.

Scapho is available in Thailand though I do not know the price. but as it is being imported from India it will have to be at least a little over the Indian price of 7000baht per syringe.

Apremilast is not yet registered for use in Thailand.

My elderly mother suffered from severe Psoriasis up until 2 years ago. She was nearly driven mad from sores on her legs and lower back. Even bed sheets irritated her and her bed was full of scales each morning.

Numerous visits to doctors and dermatologists saw her prescribed various steroid creams which provided minor relief.

A pharmacist friend did some research and found a treatment that gave excellent results. So much so that my mother only uses an otc ointment now to clear up any small patches that appear.

I have no association with this company Usana apart from purchasing from them.

The treatment was a combination of vitamin pills.

CoCuinone 100

Poly C

Biomega

MagneCal D

Proflavanol C 100

Cellsentials.

My mother took these pills for 6 months. The affected areas were also coated in a light coating of Vaseline. 

Improvements could be seen within days of starting treatment.

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone BUT it worked wonders with my mother.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 12:56 PM, Sheryl said:

Scapho is available in Thailand though I do not know the price. but as it is being imported from India it will have to be at least a little over the Indian price of 7000baht per syringe.

Apremilast is not yet registered for use in Thailand.

So that's what my doctor was saying—"Scapho". I thought he was saying "scaffold" and that he was describing a mode of treatment which starts with 4 doses/month as a "scaffold" dose and then goes down to one dose/month.

Facepalm.

The price for this "scaffold" (Scapho) was around 14,000 baht—seems quite a bit higher than the OP paid in India.

Also, the rheumy said that while Thai SS does cover the vast majority of pharmaceuticals, it does not cover any biologics, Scapho included.

I will call around to see if any hospitals offer it at a lower cost.

My ex cured hers by:

-Vegetable juice fasts and cleanses

-Vegan diet

-high dose probiotics, high dose high quality multivitamins and fish oils

-No sugars including fruit

-no fried foods

-very little wheat priducts

-Only good oils and salts

(Nothing saturated, pink Himalayan salt)

-organics as much as possible

-no more tap water

-African black soap, tea tree oil, and aloe vera

-Yoga, breathing exercises, meditation and other stress reduction techniques.

She refused to continue drugs because of bad side effects.

It took perseverance, patience and hard work and time.

But she is more active now than she's been in years, looks 10 years younger and feels great and happier.

Arthritic joint pain disappeared. Sleep improved.

No telling what worked better than others because she made all the changes at once.

But something sure worked.

Food for thought.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 9:00 PM, jackspade said:

So that's what my doctor was saying—"Scapho". I thought he was saying "scaffold" and that he was describing a mode of treatment which starts with 4 doses/month as a "scaffold" dose and then goes down to one dose/month.

Facepalm.

The price for this "scaffold" (Scapho) was around 14,000 baht—seems quite a bit higher than the OP paid in India.

Also, the rheumy said that while Thai SS does cover the vast majority of pharmaceuticals, it does not cover any biologics, Scapho included.

I will call around to see if any hospitals offer it at a lower cost.

Hello Jackspade I have today been informed by my Thai Rheumatologist that I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and that my long term diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis was wrong. She also informed me that this disease is in the same family as Psoriasis and that Biological Drugs for treating Psoriasis could also benefit my joint problems. I have been taking Biological drugs Humira and Simponi with great results, however the Simponi I had to pay for myself in Thailand with a price of two injections for 56000 THB. The bad news is that they have since the start of this year now stopped the buy one get one free promotion that they had and I cannot afford this any more (56000 THB per month).  I am very interested in trying Scapho and was wondering if you managed to source any cheaper prices and nice if you could provide some details along with contacts. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Archived