How Would You Like to Shape Thai Immigration For Retirement & Perpetual Tourist Visa

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, Thats a very specific set of circumstances, yours perhaps ?

Forgot to mention the disclaimer: None of these benefits me. I live only for 6-month in Thailand on an O-A visa (Oct-Mar). And then I fly to Las Vegas for three months and then go to Benidorm for another three months before returning to Thailand again. 

In any case The Nation is a typical newspaper involved in the things that newspapers typically focus on, plus they have big business in education.

I very much doubt they are interested in getting seriously involved in what this thread alludes to.

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

I was getting a bit concerned about the lack of topics about immigration, etc.
Nice one muka.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yep, anything more than 20 minutes without a new thread on the subject i break out in a cold sweat. ????

Edit: as for the 'none of this affects me' comment in the first post why bother even setting it up then. it doesn't affect you so raising the question is completely moot.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Yep, anything more than 20 minutes without a new thread on the subject i break out in a cold sweat. ????

Edit: as for the 'none of this affects me' comment in the first post why bother even setting it up then. it doesn't affect you so raising the question is completely moot.

He's got nothing else to do

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

90 day reports are a waste of everyone's time. I've lived in the same condo for 9 years now. Any numbskull should be able to work out I'm not moving. All that should be needed is notification to Immigration when we move.

In this age of computers, the dependence of Immigration on reams of paper is ludicrous. Even they don't know which bits of paper they want, so everyone takes the lot in case the IO has a yen for one particular irrelevant piece of paper. Should be able to display all data on a smartphone, for the IO to look at. Or download if they want to.

After a given time, say 3 to 5 years, and providing there are no criminal convictions on board, extension should become a formality. We've proved we are law-abiding, and are a benefit to Thailand, have we not?

I do my 90 day reports on-line and then photo the "receipt" (or rather the next appointment) on my phone. Imm have always been happy with this when I've visited then.

TBH, I'll be on my 8th extension very soon, all with the same address, and all using the 800k savings method from the same bank, and it has become a bit of a formality.... And I'm hoping I still will be. 

56 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In any case The Nation is a typical newspaper involved in the things that newspapers typically focus on, plus they have big business in education.

I very much doubt they are interested in getting seriously involved in what this thread alludes to.

Plus, the Nation, same as any business, would be asking themselves 'will it bring any additional worthwhile revenue?' 

Edited by scorecard

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus, the Nation, same as any business, would be asking themselves 'will it bring any additional worthwhile revenue?' 

The nation could open an FSA or Thai equivalent payments system exactly like transferwise and handle the payments as international transfers to ensure that aspect is handled in the interests of the long term stayers. Appreciate they are not a bank but transferwise was not anything 6 years ago and is only acting like an Intermediary account.

I'm not sure how big the nation is but if it's a 65k income method monthly x 50k on that method that's about a £10 fee per transfer. It could then develop from there to showing FET transfers for property purchases which would be much bigger charge wise.

Line is a media company and they have payment gateways. It's a good way to further engage audiences and build trust.

14 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

transferwise was not anything 6 years ago and is only acting like an Intermediary account.

Transferwise is a fintech company with close to 500 million USD funding. Can they do it? Yes, but it requires vision, leadership, and risk taking. Not every company's cup of tea

Edited by onera1961

Just now, onera1961 said:

Transferwise is a fintech company with close to 500 million USD funding. 

And there's loads of them transfermate etc etc and if those transfers in Thailand are not recognised as international payments and creates uncertainty amongst the many IO offices then that's a good reason to capture the local market but the truth is if they had that kind of swagger they would abuse it and take advantage of the market the same way banks do, unless they developed it further as TW has. Fintech with 500 million funding is nothing they are taking on the banks using the banks own systems and winning. Ubers a 40 billion IPO and they are nothing in thailand. With the way we are led to believe things are done here how difficult would it really be to get the immigration to adopt a universal system that is cost effective for proof of funds source. It would also completely wipe out the dodgy agents unless the dodgy agents colluded with the proposed thaitransfer system. Seems like more good than bad can cone of it and it would help all parties whilst making money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

And there's loads of them transfermate etc etc and if those transfers in Thailand are not recognised as international payments and creates uncertainty amongst the many IO offices then that's a good reason to capture the local market but the truth is if they had that kind of swagger they would abuse it and take advantage of the market the same way banks do, unless they developed it further as TW has. Fintech with 500 million funding is nothing they are taking on the banks using the banks own systems and winning. Ubers a 40 billion IPO and they are nothing in thailand. With the way we are led to believe things are done here how difficult would it really be to get the immigration to adopt a universal system that is cost effective for proof of funds source. It would also completely wipe out the dodgy agents unless the dodgy agents colluded with the proposed thaitransfer system. Seems like more good than bad can cone of it and it would help all parties whilst making money.

It might well break various higher level regulations for immigration to nominate one specific organization that they accept in regard the money transfers.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

This is a pretty pointless thread as obviously, everyone is going to come up with ideas that suit their own circumstances....

Let them come up with ideas that suit there own circumstances. That is the only point of this thread. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

It might well break various higher level regulations for immigration to nominate one specific organization that they accept in regard the money transfers.

So just create 3 like the Chinese would and nominate all of them.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

This is a pretty pointless thread as obviously, everyone is going to come up with ideas that suit their own circumstances....

I suspect that probably the only thing upon which everyone can agree, is that 90 day reports are a stupid, waste of time?

No you are just very cynical and show little compassion for other people's circumstances. I don't like the idea of retired people being beaten with a stick and the truth is if you have made this place your home and then you are forced to leave, that's not an easy feat for a youngster let alone a retiree.