How Would You Like to Shape Thai Immigration For Retirement & Perpetual Tourist Visa

29 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It's not so bad in Issan, though I suppose would not be appreciated by a "city person". 

I have lived in an Issan town, Sisaket (not a rural village). Even my GF who was born and brought up in issan does not want to live there permanently but every few month she has to drive to see her mom because she misses mom and aunts not issan.

Edited by onera1961

Just now, Rc2702 said:

No you are just very cynical and show little compassion for other people's circumstances. I don't like the idea of retired people being beaten with a stick and the truth is if you have made this place your home and then you are forced to leave, that's not an easy feat for a youngster let alone a retiree.

You're very wrong, as I've always expressed compassion for other peoples' circumstances...

e.g. I can meet the new requirements, but feel very sorry for those that will have difficulties meeting the new rules.

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're very wrong, as I've always expressed compassion for other peoples' circumstances...

e.g. I can meet the new requirements, but feel very sorry for those that will have difficulties meeting the new rules.

Ok but you said the thread was pointless and only individual circumstances would be shared. Not sounding very compassionate at all. So if you said that which you did. I'm not wrong.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Retired expats should be tattooed with the mark of the beast. no mark, no beer. 

we should be ranked by the amount of money we spend in Thailand. and have medals to wear to show everyone.

Auto show pretties should be hired to check my address in person. 

that is all i can think of right now.  

We need more comments like this.

The OP is blatantly seeking attention and likes to blow his own trumpet

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

1. Make things simpler. For a marriage visa, there are no logical reasons to make a couple prove each and every year, that they are married, that a local Thai witness swears to their residence, and the dozen other requirements, that make sense upon the first application, but are nothing but a pain in the butt for everyone concerned, for renewals, and amount to nothing but harassment.

2. Clarify the rules. They seem to be shifting like sands in the desert. There is a lot of confusion and uncertainty out there. 

3. Be polite and reasonably nice to foreigners at immigration. There is no need for the surly and arrogant attitudes. Yes, we are "guests" in your glorious kingdom. But, you are also our hosts. Behave like it.

4. Allow longer term visas for those over 60, who have been in Thailand at least 10 years, without requiring that we deposit 5 million baht in the bank, at silly interest rates.

5. Do whatever has to be done at the highest levels, to get rid of the incredibly obnoxious xenophobia, that permeates this government, and immigration. It is unproductive, surly, unappealing, makes both immigration, and the administration appear to be incredibly ungrateful for everything that the ex-pats bring to the table, which is alot! And it also makes them look like goombahs, and small, fearful, closed minded little minions. 

There are countless areas for improvement. Show us something. Come on guys. You can do so much better than this. 

Why would anyone improve things for you when it's YOU that's the problem? Your attitude is disgusting

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Ok but you said the thread was pointless and only individual circumstances would be shared. Not sounding very compassionate at all. So if you said that which you did. I'm not wrong.

You misunderstood.  I have little time for those that come up with ideas that only suit their own, personal circumstances....

Yes, I could come up with my own, personal ideas that suited my own circumstances ???? - but I care about others in different circumstances, and am nowhere near selfish enough to do this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JackThompson said:
2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

To help desperate farangs who have invested their life in a god forsaken place ????

46 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It's not so bad in Issan, though I suppose would not be appreciated by a "city person". 

I agree that a lower income-level and/or applying the "combo method" to marriage-based extension-applications, makes sense for husbands supporting Thai wives (anywhere, but especially in rural areas) - so would be a compassionate policy, allowing those with lower pensions to stay.

I've been an Issan dweller now for 5 years. Married to an Issan gal and adopted by her family and I am quite content with my situation. It wouldn't suit everyone of course, but I'm a country dweller by nature so for me it's fine.

So enough of the 'desperate falangs in god forsaken places' if you don't mind.

Back on the topic, I would be forever grateful to IM, if they would accept that a pension income is for life. It makes no sense to have to keep proving year after that 'yes, I still have a pension. The same one as last year'.

It would save them a lot of unnecessary work and us a load of hassle. It would also remove the underlying worry of currency fluctuations which are, of course, beyond our control.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You misunderstood.  I have little time for those that come up with ideas that only suit their own, personal circumstances....

Yes, I could come up with my own, personal ideas that suited my own circumstances ???? - but I care about others in different circumstances, and am nowhere near selfish enough to do this.

Well maybe it's best that way. Talking about another circumstance without knowing or experiencing it fully may not be easily done but a problem shared by many will provide a clearer picture and help you understand the plight of others and this could help identify the many issues many fear they may face.

If the bill smart thread is true then people 50+ who may be here on a retirement visa but have no pension means but say rental income. They are done if they cannot prove their funding source is a pension.

13 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

5 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Well maybe it's best that way. Talking about another circumstance without knowing or experiencing it fully may not be easily done but a problem shared by many will provide a clearer picture and help you understand the plight of others and this could help identify the many issues many fear they may face.

If the bill smart thread is true then people 50+ who may be here on a retirement visa but have no pension means but say rental income. They are done if they cannot prove their funding source is a pension.

What on earth are you rabbiting on about?

"and help you understand the plight of others"......  I made it very clear (I thought) in my post that "I care about others in different circumstances"!

You obviously assumed (for some obscure reason) that I only cared about myself, and have too much 'face' to admit that you were very wrong in your assumption....

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Why do you think this thread is useful? Do you think immigration feels sorry for the people who have been bribing people a long time to stay here while not qualified?  

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:

To help desperate farangs who have invested their life in a god forsaken place ????

What about the thousands of us living elsewhere in rural Thailand? I live in rural Khampaeng Phet province and I have done for the last 14 years.

BTW I am not a desperate farang who has invested his life in a god forsaken place and neither is rural Thailand a god forsaken place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Do you think immigration feels sorry for the people who have been bribing people a long time to stay here while not qualified?  

No, neither do they turn up their noses at the kickbacks given to them by the agents who facilitate this!!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why do you think this thread is useful? Do you think immigration feels sorry for the people who have been bribing people a long time to stay here while not qualified?  

I suspect that Immigration feel far more helpful to those that are paying them money for their extensions etc......

Had to laugh when I went to Immigration for a 'photo (as my agent told me this was required), and all the Immigration personnel turned to look at me.  Presumably 'cos my 'rant' to my agent pointing out I was entirely legal, had filtered down - and so they were all interested in the 'stupid' farang that was paying a lot of money for an entirely legal extension?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I've been an Issan dweller now for 5 years. Married to an Issan gal and adopted by her family and I am quite content with my situation. It wouldn't suit everyone of course, but I'm a country dweller by nature so for me it's fine.

So enough of the 'desperate falangs in god forsaken places' if you don't mind.

Back on the topic, I would be forever grateful to IM, if they would accept that a pension income is for life. It makes no sense to have to keep proving year after that 'yes, I still have a pension. The same one as last year'.

It would save them a lot of unnecessary work and us a load of hassle. It would also remove the underlying worry of currency fluctuations which are, of course, beyond our control.

Last 2 paragraphs...

Yes, and there could be a companion regulation that changes in personal circumstances re pension must be advised to the imm. folks.

But there's another slant, it seems that Big Joke and his team are trying to stop the loopholes and the fake money transfers / in bank books etc., etc.

So would they create new regulations which easily allow non observance of other regulations? 

Set a maximum of 6 months per year on a tourist status like most countries and be done with it. Allow those who are entitled to visa exempts use them as intended (multiple entries). Non immigrant visas stop 90 day reports and TM30s unless you move. Establish  foreigner id card that must be carried at all times and is proof of address and permission to stay. Link to a Kingdom wide database that can be  accessed by any IO or police man on his mobile. No more  "show passport". Cant even top up my 7/11 card anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterg40 said:

I am talking about Retirees myself included.
The onus should be on Immigration to recognise
on some kind of “Loyalty basis”long term Retirees, and have some respect for
their past history,as they have Dutifully maintained their Extensions over many
years.
To be clear that is that we ,over the years have Complied with every regulation,re:Banking,90 day
reporting,etc,etc.
So I’m sure you will all agree
that some “softening “
of the regulations and more
recognition should be made
towards Us???

A little Pollyanna.......

They might show more gratitude to those who used agents each year and helped support their ever improving lifestyles. Although no softening likely, you don't kill the golden goose.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AaronC76 said:

Why would anyone improve things for you when it's YOU that's the problem? Your attitude is disgusting

Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

// I would be forever grateful to IM, if they would accept that a pension income is for life. It makes no sense to have to keep proving year after that 'yes, I still have a pension. 

No all pensions are for life :mellow:

It may depends of countries and pensions, but for some of them you can reduce their duration (to 15 years, 25 years...) and in return you get a higher monthly pension during this period.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

But if the currency-fluxuations work in their favor, they can deny your extension and force you to leave, or receive an "extra payment" to allow you to stay.  It would seem this is the point of the exercise.

21 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Apparently, they intend to put us all into the "bribe to stay" category - or remove us from the country - they don't seem to care which.

21 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not everybody is corrupt.

It is true that some offices seem to follow the published requirements, and are reported to be helpful.  I don't think I can afford to move my wife's family + extended-family to Ubon, though - assuming they wanted to go.

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

But there's another slant, it seems that Big Joke and his team are trying to stop the loopholes and the fake money transfers / in bank books etc., etc. 

So would they create new regulations which easily allow non observance of other regulations? 

Unless we see mass-arrests of Agents and their IO-buddies, we can rest assurred this is just like the other "crackdowns" - new regulations intended to increase under-the-table revenue for immigration - and deter those "Cheap Charlies" who make honest in-person applications.

Edited by JackThompson

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

But if the currency-fluxuations work in their favor, they can deny your extension and force you to leave, or receive an "extra payment" to allow you to stay.  It would seem this is the point of the exercise.

Apparently, they intend to put us all into the "bribe to stay" category - or remove us from the country - they don't seem to care which.

It is true that some offices seem to follow the published requirements, and are reported to be helpful.  I don't think I can afford to move my wife's family + extended-family to Ubon, though - assuming they wanted to go.

Unless we see mass-arrests of Agents and their IO-buddies, we can rest assurred this is just like the other "crackdowns" - new regulations intended to increase under-the-table revenue for immigration - and deter those "Cheap Charlies" who make honest in-person applications.

You realise IMO read this. Good Luck on your next visit.

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Last 2 paragraphs...

Yes, and there could be a companion regulation that changes in personal circumstances re pension must be advised to the imm. folks.

Screenshot , top of page ,   5 minutes ago

1268455273_ScreenShot2019-02-11at11_00_52.png.c2ca80b13d82de922454cf7b4cc96bc4.png,   

expect the price to go up next month

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Unless we see mass-arrests of Agents and their IO-buddies

What about people who are using those agents? Should they also be arrested and deported for life? If no customers, agents will vanish and IOs will stop receiving tea money. It is a catch 22 issue, famously said by one the greatest criminal Pablo Escobar.  He said if there were no demands for my product, I will stop. As long as there is a demand for my product, I will continue my business. 

4 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

What about people who are using those agents?

Should they also be arrested and deported for life? //

That would be a bit much IMHO...

but the minimal action should be to cancel there illegally-obtained extension.