Holding the balance: Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Retirement extensions changed once in 20 years and only the seasoning requirement.

So it took  them only 20 year to come up with this absolute mess of a change! Glad they didn't rush them through!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

If things keep going the way they are your NZ dollar will be worth nothing... Hope you will be able to meet the requirements anyways. Gad damned bht keeps getting stronger and stronger. Can't wait for this crap to blow up in their faces.

Baht is staying the same.  NZ dollar going down. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If you are not a citizen of the lazy embassies I don't see much of a mess.  Minor change in seasoning requirement. 

Changing from 3 months to 12 months is not minor. How exactly this will be policed and the result if one fails for one day in 365 may well not be minor!

There is also impact on those using combination method that even now are unclear, you choose to completely ignore that. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 2/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, Hellsten said:

I probably need to move out from this madhouse soon  If the bath go more stronger I'm out, don't have the money to stay and I'm married and have lived her for soon 15 years, this IS my Home! I have no place to go! ????

The paper from the embassy show the income Before Tax

the Bank after Tax there is a big difference.

You live here very long time you married a Thai and take care the family

But you have NO RIGHT what so ever and they still make it even more difficult

for us to stay here I probably spend 8-900000 a year here the most time but now when I get older the money is not to great now, and the Bath is too damn strong

I lose about 30000thb/month compare from the first time I come her

Not to nice of you Thailand!

Just get a marriage visa then you only need 400,000 Baht in the bank for 3 months before you apply. 

6 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

I did my marriage extension in Rayong Thursday and there were more people waiting for retirement than marriage or business extension and as marriage is now split from the main group it's a shorter wait, much shorter. I did have to wait in the other group later for a 90 day report .............

but I will say they were fast processing applications, when I read about Chang Mai queuing from early in the morning then read about how many applications they process in a day on this forum I have to ask why do you live there?

Big Joke,came to Chiang Mai,saw what was going on with immigration there,

and made changes,now they start at 8.00*,and extensions are done very quickly,

90 day I used to always do by post,last 4 reports I did online and works very well,

so only go to immigration office once a year,which is enough for me.

regards Worgeordie                                 *don't close for lunch either.

37 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Retirement extensions changed once in 20 years and only the seasoning requirement. Maybe you have other problems but they were not caused by Thailand.  

except i'm not talking just retirement extensions,

before i got old, it was changes in visa runs, ed visas,

and now that i thought it was finally over,

the changes are coming to retirement visas.

this is not going to be the last change,

not for as long as i am on one at least

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

If things keep going the way they are your NZ dollar will be worth nothing... Hope you will be able to meet the requirements anyways. Gad damned bht keeps getting stronger and stronger. Can't wait for this crap to blow up in their faces.

The baht is not getting stronger, western currencies are getting weaker.

38 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I haven't read all the comments but are they now saying that a letter from your pension provider is enough, rather than the 65k going into a thai bank. Or is it both?

Both

But that might only be needed as back up proof if a person has proof of income from their embassy.

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Thanks, and yes I can meet the requirement of the 800k but much prefer the 65k per month route as it makes so much more financial sense to me and my situation with regards to funds invested in NZ.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Both

But that might only be needed as back up proof if a person has proof of income from their embassy.

So far it is explained to me is that in case you have a income certificate from the Embassy / Consul the pension, the normal supporting papers are enough (same as before) and the money deposits conformation are not required.

The money deposit proof for the 12 months are only required for the countries which don't supply the income certificate anymore.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, merijn said:

So far it is explained to me is that in case you have a income certificate from the Embassy / Consul the pension, the normal supporting papers are enough (same as before) and the money deposits conformation are not required.

The money deposit proof for the 12 months are only required for the countries which don't supply the income certificate anymore.

What normal support papers are they then, most with letters was enough and support docs brushed aside by IO,s.This is why withdrawing letters makes little sense

5 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Wow 259 replies to this thread about PHUKET immigration. 

I'm guessing about 6 are probably affected by this announcement about PHUKET Immigration procedures.

Possibly because Phuket is considered most inclined to follow the “rules”, hence a good indicator of what to expect generally.Rather than the obvious bias of some  here on other topics re Phuket! Maybe?

There are many posts mentioning such things as "proof, or other forms of evidence". Given that the "Statutory Declarations" are no longer issued by my Embassy, would the following be considered 'proof' by Immigration? 

1. Print out of Superannuation Income stream from issuing authority (authority is outside Thailand) 

2. Print out of a reasonable banking history (perhaps 2 years) showing that income stream being received into my bank (outside Thailand). 

As I understand the Thai Law, income stream is an acceptable mechanism. It is not required by Law to be inside a Thai Bank. I do have another means of having money available to spend here (that does not incur larger fees).

I previously used the "Statutory Declaration" from my Embassy for a genuine income stream. I have no difficulty in substatiating that to reasonable police examination. 

I am looking for an answer from the more experienced members, e.g. UbonJoe, however welcome rational answers from all. 

1 minute ago, kevden said:

There are many posts mentioning such things as "proof, or other forms of evidence". Given that the "Statutory Declarations" are no longer issued by my Embassy, would the following be considered 'proof' by Immigration? 

1. Print out of Superannuation Income stream from issuing authority (authority is outside Thailand) 

2. Print out of a reasonable banking history (perhaps 2 years) showing that income stream being received into my bank (outside Thailand). 

As I understand the Thai Law, income stream is an acceptable mechanism. It is not required by Law to be inside a Thai Bank. I do have another means of having money available to spend here (that does not incur larger fees).

I previously used the "Statutory Declaration" from my Embassy for a genuine income stream. I have no difficulty in substatiating that to reasonable police examination. 

I am looking for an answer from the more experienced members, e.g. UbonJoe, however welcome rational answers from all. 

You won't find a definitive answer here. How would anyone here know? Try asking at your local immigration office and even then, that doesn't guarantee a correct answer.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, smedly said:

The only issue I have is keeping the balance at 800k for 6 months instead of 3, the rest I was doing anyway

I fail to see any practical advantage of the 6month balance of 800k - what is the point of it

The point of it is that by ensuring your dollars are kept in that bank for so long.. means the bank will have sufficient funds to loan and thus help the thai banking system.. surely you didnt think there could be more reason when you read about thais debts and failures to repay loans? 

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You won't find a definitive answer here. How would anyone here know? Try asking at your local immigration office and even then, that doesn't guarantee a correct answer.

Yes you can only get examples of what has happened to others, here or there and often differing at one office/officer. Take what you have and do a trial run well before due date and hope to get same reaction next time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

Yes sad also the uk pound is very weak we all know why. however it's not Thailand to blame . just a pity that the Uk don't have the same  immigration rules. its hard but Thailand has got it right  

I don’t believe xenophobia is right

7 hours ago, merijn said:

The new 800k, 400k requirements will be checked starting from next years applications.

So this year you need to have the 800k (before the application date) in the bank and when you apply next year for the extension you will need to proof that you had the 800k and 400k for the last 12 months. (don't forget to update your bank book on a regular basis for this)

Therefore there is no need to show financial proof when you do the 90 days reporting, The 90 days reporting will be maybe cancelled all together.

This is mainly done to block the visa agents who offer a retirement extension without the financial proof.

Also if people have the income statement (UK, USA, Aus) they can use it as long it is still valid. (6 months)

There are no changes to the extension based on marriage.

I tried to do the multi quote option but i doesn't to work for me or i'm just stupid ????

Sorry found it ????

So if a retirement extension is due to be renewed next January when would you suggest starting monthly transfers? It’s hard to find clarity on this!

6 hours ago, brokenbone said:

except i'm not talking just retirement extensions,

before i got old, it was changes in visa runs, ed visas,

and now that i thought it was finally over,

the changes are coming to retirement visas.

this is not going to be the last change,

not for as long as i am on one at least

The thing is that visa runners then ed visas were people living and/or working under the wrong visa or no visa. Those people are the reason the rules keep changing for those of us who go by the book 

14 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

So if a retirement extension is due to be renewed next January when would you suggest starting monthly transfers? It’s hard to find clarity on this!

This January....Feb will be OK if you can show Jan 2020 on next application.

Edited by jacko45k

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

This January....Feb will be OK if you can show Jan 2020 on next application.

So you’re actually saying that the new rule is in force immediately.  On that basis someone whose extension was done in say August 2018 and needs to renew in August 2019 wouldn’t be able to get their extension done with monthly transfers

Edited by Fairynuff