Query of UK Passport

Hello everyone,,,.

I need to renew UK passport (only about five blank pages left and I travel frequently for work).

I think the new passport will take a few weeks to arrive following submission of documents in Bangkok.

My question is: Once I apply for the new passport, can I use the existing one while waiting for the new passport?

Does anyone know the official rule?

Thanks. 

You have to hand in your old passport too,as they have to cut

the corners off to make it unusable.

I live in Chiang Mai,didn't want to make 2 trips to get a new

passport in Bangkok,so sent them to my daughter in UK,with form,she paid for it

at post office and sent it off, took 9 days to come back to her,EMS

to Chiang Mai 7 days.job done,

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I live in Chiang Mai,didn't want to make 2 trips to get a new

passport in Bangkok

Strikes me as completely inexcusable that you and your fellow Brit Chiang Maians are still forced to make these 2 trips to Bangkok now that VFS have opened an office in Chiang Mai. For some absurdly illogical reason the Home Office appear to attach considerably more importance to the comfort and convenience of local Thai nationals seeking UK visas than of local Brit nationals needing new passports! 

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You have to hand in your old passport too,as they have to cut

the corners off to make it unusable.

I live in showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/  vidmate.vet/ Chiang Mai,didn't want to make 2 trips to get a new

passport in Bangkok,so sent them to my daughter in UK,with form,she paid for it

at post office and sent it off, took 9 days to come back to her,EMS

to Chiang Mai 7 days.job done,

regards worgeordie

Thank you my issue has been solved,.....

25 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Strikes me as completely inexcusable that you and your fellow Brit Chiang Maians are still forced to make these 2 trips to Bangkok now that VFS have opened an office in Chiang Mai. For some absurdly illogical reason the Home Office appear to attach considerably more importance to the comfort and convenience of local Thai nationals seeking UK visas than of local Brit nationals needing new passports! 

The passport before this one I was able to get it done in Chiang Mai,just before

they stopped doing them here,and I think they had to be sent to H.K.,then they

stopped H.K. and it was all handled by an agency VFS,which i think are an Indian company !

and i believe the Chiang Mai office of VFS is only for processing visas for the UK.

regards worgeordie

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

i believe the Chiang Mai office of VFS is only for processing visas for the UK

But I can't see any earthly good reason why its remit could not be extended to cover UK passport renewals as well.

Looks to me like Brit Chiang Maians are, at passport renewal time, the victims of disconnected left and right hands (UKVI and HMPO) and silo working at the Home Office!

Edited by OJAS

• 5 months later...

You do know don't you that when your old passport expires your extension dies with it and when you transfer stamps into your new they only give it to the date of when your old passport expired? Where as before they used to give you the remaining days left of your extension in your new passport. Now you have to start again. I got caught out recently.