how do I make a brew?

eyecatcher

I am a coffee drinker but not an officianado so my brew is boil the kettle and pour it over Moccano instant, finished. For me perfect, no fuss, quick and happy.

Introduce promprem!

Friends visiting Vietnam were asked to bring back some Mocha by the wife for the wife. Generosity brought us 2kg of mocha and 2kg of Arabica.

I would quite like to give it a try but our only coffee maker is one of those one cup 150ml stovetop 6 sided espresso makers which is firstly not very convenient for 2 people and secondly very awkward positioning over the flame.

I know they make a 300ml 2 cup size kettle but really I want a pot full and so does the wife.

I am not at all interested in the likes of entertaining a deLonghi 6k plus coffee maker nor one with fancy grinders and 12 buttons and functions for a breakfast brew, looking for something simple, electric, maybe filter papers....most important cheap so I can put any saving towards new tools which is far more important.

any ideas?

I use a percolator for making stove top espressos, had to Google the name of as I had no idea..... Moka pot or Italian coffee maker. Since my coffee maker broke a year plus ago, I haven't even bothered getting a new one cause this pot is far superior in my opinion. A French press coming in a close second.
It makes 2 big mugs of americanos (espresso + hot water).

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThaiSauce said:

I use a percolator for making stove top espressos, had to Google the name of as I had no idea..... Moka pot or Italian coffee maker. Since my coffee maker broke a year plus ago, I haven't even bothered getting a new one cause this pot is far superior in my opinion. A French press coming in a close second.

Yes, thats the six sided useless contraption we have. Infact i told the wife its probably useful if you are going camping but thats all.

15 minutes ago, ThaiSauce said:

I had one at university (45 years ago), much better than the French press that always produced luke warm coffee.

Yes, thats the six sided useless contraption we have. Infact i told the wife its probably useful if you are going camping but thats all.
Maybe you have drank instant coffee for too long and ruined your taste for a good cup of coffee :p. I find it tastes better then any over priced drip coffee maker you can buy with less clean up and easy of use, in my opinion that is :)

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Buy whole bean, place as much as you want in coffee grinder, place in French press, add boiling water, wait however long you want, press strainer down in press forcing grounds to the bottom, pour, drink.

Agree, so easy, so quick, good coffee, so easy to make a second pot, so easy to clean up, and nowadays many in the shops at very reasonable price. A while back the kitchen ware department in Central at cats and cows Chiang Mai had quite a promotion, from very expensive french presses (coffee is no better) to cheapo prices, (good coffee), and from 1 cup to 6 cups.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I had one at university (45 years ago), much better than the French press that always produced luke warm coffee.

Easy answers to 'luke warm':

- Put maybe 2 cups of very hot water in the press for a minute or so to warm it, tip it out then make the coffee, all so simple.

- Fill the coffee mug or cup with very hot water, wait 1 minute or so, tip it out just before the hot coffee is ready to be poured into the mug or cup, so easy, so quick.

- Buy a small warming hot plate the right size for the french press or a coffee mug to sit on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Easy answers to 'luke warm':

- Put maybe 2 cups of very hot water in the press for a minute or so to warm it, tip it out then make the coffee, all so simple.

- Fill the coffee mug or cup with very hot water, wait 1 minute or so, tip it out just before the hot coffee is ready to be poured into the mug or cup, so easy, so quick.

- Buy a small warming hot plate the right size for the french press or a coffee mug to sit on.

+1 for french press.  So simple & easy to use, for great tasting coffee

7 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

My Thai wife thinks that the pinnacle of coffee making is three in one and a cup of hot water from 7/11... ????

The ice coffee they now make in 7/11 is really good. At 30baht it's far nicer than starbucks amazon inthanon etc (buy two and they're discounted).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

We also have one and it's great, ours is stainless steel though.

It fits on the wokburner of the stove, put it on the lowest flame and after 5 minutes we have the best coffee of the world.

IKEA sells them but also Central for a very high price.

I've been using an Otto electric filter method coffee maker for many years and I've just bought a new one at 299 THB from Big C as I cracked the jug of the old one. It makes 2 large mugs which suits me just fine.

Paper filters are an option, but I just use the basket filter provided and it works perfectly well.

I do not grind my own beans as there are plenty of choices of ground coffee available. My regular brew is Boncafe morning blend.

ML

• Like 1

My favorite is an electric drip coffee maker.  It has a water reservoir, an outer basket, an inner stainless steel mesh basket and a glass carafe.  I grind the beans, add 2 tablespoons of ground coffee and 8 ozs of water per full size mug.  It takes about 3-4 minutes for the heater to semi-boil the water and pump it up so it drips through the ground coffee into the carafe.  It's pretty easy to clean up and the brew is quite good.

An alternative is to produce a "cold brew".  To make this one, grind your beans more coarsely.  Use the same ratio of water and ground coffee as above.  I use a recycled Adams peanut butter jar with a metal screw top holding slightly more than a liter. Put the coffee in the jar, fill almost to the top, screw the top on tightly and mix the coffee and water by slowly rotating the jar a few times.  I repeat the mixing process a couple of times over the next 24 hours.  Then I pour the mix through a small strainer and save the coffee in another jar or carafe.  I heat it a mug at a time in a microwave.  The result is very smooth but with a weaker coffee taste.  I like it because it is less acidic and as a result I get less or no heartburn (acid reflux).  It seems to have the same caffeine content as the hot brewed coffee.

Be careful..... it seems to be addicting!  

Buy this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Premium-18-10-Stainless-Steel-French-Press-Coffee-Tea-Brewer-Double-Wall-1Liter-34-Ounces/32701836709.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.72444c4dsnkGpt

Makes the best coffee I've ever made and I've been making coffee every morning since I was 17. You do need to grind the coffee very fine though. I bought the 800 ml model. Perfect for a few cups. I add 3 heaping scoops, pour hot water in almost to the top, give it a stir, put on the top and wait 4 minutes before pushing the plunger down. Makes a perfect cup(s). I've had this one for a year now. Still in excellent condition. The best Chinese product I've ever bought.

• Like 2

bon cafe drip coffee maker   990 baht    (or electrolux has cheap one too)

550 baht coffee bean grinder     (at YOK  on super hwy)    

pack of coffee filters        decent beans can be bought for around 120bt/ 200 g   at many places

I got off my instant coffee around 9 years ago .    Nice coffee now for a pittance   quick and easy   makes around 3 cups at a time

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

1 gallon glass jar, 3 quarts water, 100~200 grams beans smashed (I use a hammer) coffee beans. Stir, seal, set in direct sun four~six hours. Filter, bottle, drink.

Not into paleo: just open the Nestle Red Cup.

~o:37;

• Like 2

8 hours ago, naboo said:

In order of best to worst:

1. Pressurized coffee machine - cost THB12,000 for the most basic model that can produce a good coffee at 9 bar pressure.
  2. Percolator (you already have by the sounds of it, try putting a metal plate over the hob if you can't get it to sit on the hob properly).
  3. An Aeropress available at Hilkoff for THB1500 (http://www.hillkoff.com/product-th-678438-2702185-Aero+Press+เครื่องชงสุดฮิป.html)
  4. meh - anything else and the gift was a waste of effort - drip machine, sock coffee, french press, all produce a strange brown mixture that doesn't resemble coffee and often tastes worse than instant.
  5. Instant - only below drip filter coffee due to me being a snob. Tastes equally as terrible.
  6. 3-in-1. About as appealing as warm diarrhea infused with goats' urine.

Yep there's a lot of snobbery and oneupmanship in coffee making, hence i only agree with you on points 5 and 6. Was recently reading a thread where there was an ongoing arguement on the amout of bar required to make a cup of coffee...for <deleted> sake!

• Haha 1