Transporting goods on a bus

robblok

I am in the process of selling 150kg of weight plates to a Thai guy in Krabbi. I am Bangkok based and he wants it send by bus to Krabi. He claims to have done so before. He would pay me by bank before I send the plates so I am not afraid of a scam.

The thing that worries me is that he would have to know exactly what bus to pic it up as they won't unload it for me and I would have to be at a bus station at a certain time to load it. So far contact with the bus company has not been informative. The company stating they could not take that much weight. I assume its not a problem if i split it in multiple packages. 

I just want to know a bit more about the whole process, otherwise I will have to sell the weight plates in Bangkok.

Buses may have a maximum weight of parcels much as airlines have max bag weight.

Somewhere there is a street where all the trucks go south everyday. I know where the street is for trucks going north to say NongKhai. It is just a matter of finding out where the street is.

If you have access to a willing Thai speaker and depending where you are I can spend a few minutes to find the "northern street" It is out west near Phudamonton.

Similar to putting it on the bus except.......

Send me a PM if you want me to look.

• Like 1

An alternative for you to consider:  The Post Office will ship items as large as a motorcycle (if you put enough stamps on it????). The division that does it is Logispost. Ask at the counter that sells cardboard boxes.  And the recipient can pick up the shipment at the P.O., anytime they are open.

• Like 2

I have used this service a few times, its just delivered to the bus station and held at the office there for collection. The issue as mentioned above is how many pieces you may have and maximum weight of any single parcel. You may need to get him to check that his end where its unloaded/stored etc.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Buses may have a maximum weight of parcels much as airlines have max bag weight.

Somewhere there is a street where all the trucks go south everyday. I know where the street is for trucks going north to say NongKhai. It is just a matter of finding out where the street is.

If you have access to a willing Thai speaker and depending where you are I can spend a few minutes to find the "northern street" It is out west near Phudamonton.

Similar to putting it on the bus except.......

Send me a PM if you want me to look.

Sounds like a solution but the problem is how much do you trust the trucker, what if he just takes off with the weights and sell them as scrap iron. That is the only risk i can see so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Just take the weights to the bus station, tell them Krabi and the guys name and they should do the rest.

I had a set of offroad tires for my quad bike sent that way, too easy

Yep, perhaps the procedure is for you take it to any bus station with services to Krabi, get it all signed in etc, and pay, and:

- Take various smartphone photos, especially clearly showing the receivers name and phone number etc.,

- A document to prove the bus received the parcels.

- The bus company name and the address of their station in Krabi.

- Telephone number for same.

- Send smartphone pics of everything above to the buyer.

All very mechanical, what can go wrong?

Good luck. 

• Like 1

VocalNeal was right after some more checking its not going on a bus but on a truck. They have so many trucks going south that there are offices there where you can bring heavy stuff like this that will be put on a truck and then send. 

Probably going to send it tomorrow or Monday, will take a lot of pictures of the whole process to make sure it goes well. 

I am happy that i sold my weights (i replaced them with rubber bumper plates that make less sound when put down). 

• Like 1

I finally went and brought the weights to be shipped. It was a small transport company near a transport hub in Phuttanamon sai 3. The price was 3 !!! bt per kg so the 157,5 kg were not that expensive to ship.

I got a nice bill, the other party will pay it when he pics it up and he paid me by internet banking at the moment of shipping. 

I will remember this if I ever have to ship heavy stuff, its possible i like it. 

• Like 2

Charlie answer your question and his suggestion is the correct one, I did it before without a problem, bus will take it (check for weight limitations) may have to split the weight, arriving at the bus station will keep it there, you don't have to be present, the receiver will get a phone call from bus company, go pick up, maybe envelope welcomed and in the mean time you have been paid for, nothing to worry it's done on a daily basis

• Like 1

21 hours ago, robblok said:

I finally went and brought the weights to be shipped. It was a small transport company near a transport hub in Phuttanamon sai 3. The price was 3 !!! bt per kg so the 157,5 kg were not that expensive to ship.

I got a nice bill, the other party will pay it when he pics it up and he paid me by internet banking at the moment of shipping. 

I will remember this if I ever have to ship heavy stuff, its possible i like it. 

so my answer was after your post.... good luck and well done

7 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Charlie answer your question and his suggestion is the correct one, I did it before without a problem, bus will take it (check for weight limitations) may have to split the weight, arriving at the bus station will keep it there, you don't have to be present, the receiver will get a phone call from bus company, go pick up, maybe envelope welcomed and in the mean time you have been paid for, nothing to worry it's done on a daily basis

I did not go to a bus station but to a transport company near the roads going to the south. They took the weights no limitations at all gave me a receipt and transported it. I heard the bus had weight limitations, these guys did not.

Not sure how they do it but I think they just add freight to existing trips filling up trucks more and making extra money this way.