Would you use a debit card for shopping?

1 minute ago, GalaxyMan said:

I only use my debit card to withdraw money from an ATM, never to make a purchase. Who wants anyone to be able to track how you spend your money? I shudder at the thought of a cashless society.

The U.K. is rapidly becoming a cashless society with the introduction of ‘contactless’ payments. I very rarely carry cash in the U.K. as most outlets, Bars, coffee shops etc have contactless machines.

Cashless societies are going are going to be developed even more as businesses don’t need to sit and count the takings the trot of to the bank. It also suits businesses not to have loads of cash on the premises that’s why they offer cash back.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, trd said:
6 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:
I only use my debit card to withdraw money from an ATM, never to make a purchase. Who wants anyone to be able to track how you spend your money? I shudder at the thought of a cashless society.

I welcome the thought of cashless society. I can't wait for it to happen!

I have often read any computer can be hacked. No?

Riding in an autonomous car that has been hacked is not my idea of fun. But that's another story.

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

I have always use my bank ATM Visa Debit card for shopping knowing that if I lost it anyone could walk into a Big C and buy anything they wanted and I would have no recourse with the bank.. So to limit my exposure my day to day card in my wallet is on a separate account that I only kept ~20k in... and I top it off as needed for my main account via the banking app... So my loss limit is never more than 20k...

Also the card I use (K Bank) just expired and the new ATM/Visa card they gave me has a chip imbedded in it and requires a 6 digit pin... The pin is also required when I make purchases at stores and restaurants- every place seems to accept it (Rimping, Big C, Tesco and such) and online purchases require a sms code confirmation from my phone... so this new card should not be able to be used by anyone if lost or number skimmed

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/debit-card/Pages/K-Debit.aspx

1035EB1A-B028-45E9-BEF1-4AFBFC456AB9.jpeg

It seems that Bangkok Bank has a similar debit card. 

Has anyone tried it? 

Screenshot_20190223_110423.jpg

I have often read any computer can be hacked. No?
Riding in an autonomous car that has been hacked is not my idea of fun. But that's another story.
So what's the risk? When you go outside and put your wallet in your back pocket does it contain all the money you own? No. Maybe you go out with a couple of thousand baht in your wallet and the risk is that the wallet might slip out of your pocket and you lose it. Well it's exactly the same with a digital wallet in your phone. But whereas your phone might be protected with a password or fingerprint the wallet in your back pocket is open to anyone who finds it on the street. So which do you think is more risky?

10 minutes ago, trd said:
13 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I welcome the thought of cashless society. I can't wait for it to happen!

Move to Sweden, they are already implanting chips under peoples' skin... soon they will remove the non essential parts of their brain, and that will be heaven! 

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Has anyone tried it? 

Yup, it works just fine. In store and online (put your account name in the "name on card" box).

Incidentally, you won't be able to get the Visa branded card now. BKK Bank will want you to have a UnionPay card (free), refuse it, it's useless other than at ATMs. You can get a MasterCard branded card if you ask for it (not free) which works in stores and online.

I must be an incredibly lucky, proficient & highly skilled individual ???? 

31 years in Thailand, always paid cash, never had any money stolen - further - never lost my wallet! - Impressive eh! I really don't understand what the big deal is against using cash - its easy, off course "government" & CC companies will/do push for a cashless society, more data for them to add into their algorithms, but hey we know they can be trusted ????

I must be an incredibly lucky, proficient & highly skilled individual [emoji846]  31 years in Thailand, always paid cash, never had any money stolen - further - never lost my wallet! - Impressive eh! I really don't understand what the big deal is against using cash - its easy, off course "government" & CC companies will/do push for a cashless society, more data for them to add into their algorithms, but hey we know they can be trusted [emoji23]

There's no big deal against using cash? Oh sorry do you have something smaller than a 1,000 Baht note? I can't change it. Oh sorry I'm going to have to give you all of this change in one Baht coins, you don't mind a few satangs either do you? 

A couple of weeks ago I had to pay my house rent and I sat down with the owner, both of us with our phones. I opened my Bank app and sent the money to her account and she received it immediately on her phone. Job done. Who wouldn't want that? No trip to the bank, no standing in line to draw out the cash, no handing over a pile of bank notes. Thank God for this technology.

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, it works just fine. In store and online (put your account name in the "name on card" box).

Incidentally, you won't be able to get the Visa branded card now. BKK Bank will want you to have a UnionPay card (free), refuse it, it's useless other than at ATMs. You can get a MasterCard branded card if you ask for it (not free) which works in stores and online.

But does the Mastercard work outside of Thailand, some people have reported that their's didn't?

2 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

But does the Mastercard work outside of Thailand, some people have reported that their's didn't?

In 1,000,000 years BC when I got my card they actually had to enable it for offshore transactions, this may still be the case. Have to ask at the bank.

48 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The U.K. is rapidly becoming a cashless society with the introduction of ‘contactless’ payments. I very rarely carry cash in the U.K. as most outlets, Bars, coffee shops etc have contactless machines.

Cashless societies are going are going to be developed even more as businesses don’t need to sit and count the takings the trot of to the bank. It also suits businesses not to have loads of cash on the premises that’s why they offer cash back.

Going cashless will put beggars out of business.

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Don't bet on it ????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11349189/Beggar-uses-card-reader-to-take-donations.html

A number of churches in the UK also have the collection plate contactless enabled.

Here we already have QR payments which for simple transactions just needs a printed QR code in the collection hat.

2 hours ago, bangkoken said:

Go in person to Bangkok Bank they are eager to help you solve the problem. If the problem continues go back to the same person. Phone calls in Thailand resolve very little if anything.

First you'll have to find a BKK bank branch who speaks inlit.....good luck with that.

28 minutes ago, trd said:

you don't mind a few satangs either do you? 

Love them, have jars and bags full of the lovely things, after all the years some have been there probably worth a "fortune" ????

A few near valueless coins is hardly a big deal, using apps to pay bills I am all for, but to buy a few odds & ends cash is so much easier ????

2 hours ago, trd said:
2 hours ago, Sophon said:
Mine isn't.

Sophon

Every ATM I have ever got from a Thai bank has also been a debit card. Does it have Visa written on the front? If not just ask your bank for one.

I am the same as Sophon. I specificially asked for an ATM only card after I had lost a previous Debit Card. I could have one but did not want it and that was over 5 years ago.

What is this silly infatuation with bits of plastic imitating cash ??

Cash is king. You easily can get scammed with plastic and by using plastic you are relinquishing power to banks and governments. They can, and do keep tabs on what you are doing - with YOUR money. The dream of all governments and banks is to eliminate cash.

One press of their button means you can be denied access to YOUR money. It's all about control - control of people.

Advice - use cash everywhere - as the first option. Don't be brainwashed by banks. Don't get taken in. Don't surrender power to others.

50 minutes ago, trd said:

There's no big deal against using cash? Oh sorry do you have something smaller than a 1,000 Baht note? I can't change it. Oh sorry I'm going to have to give you all of this change in one Baht coins, you don't mind a few satangs either do you? 

Try using a debit card or app to pay at my local markets, food vendors, small restaurants, bars etc...........

There is a place for both which does not neccessarily mean either has to be exclusive.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

It seems that Bangkok Bank has a similar debit card. 

I have this BKK Bank Debit Visa also... it is the same as The KBank card accept it used the older 4 digit pin and when you make purchases they do not require you enter a pin... The K Bank card has the added protection of requiring a pin for purchases also...

What is this silly infatuation with bits of plastic imitating cash ??
Cash is king. You easily can get scammed with plastic and by using plastic you are relinquishing power to banks and governments. They can, and do keep tabs on what you are doing - with YOUR money. The dream of all governments and banks is to eliminate cash.
One press of their button means you can be denied access to YOUR money. It's all about control - control of people.
Advice - use cash everywhere - as the first option. Don't be brainwashed by banks. Don't get taken in. Don't surrender power to others.
You are not alone. There are many like you who prefer to go through life playing scared, paranoid conspiracy theorist victims. You are here in Thailand because you were able to afford the airfare. Do you know why airfares became so low over the years? Because of computer booking systems for purchasing tickets and tracking your every move while you travel. Scary stuff huh?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

My Kasikorn ATM/DEBIT card is VISA branded and was issued recently.

There is something one has to do in order to activate the cc function, I don't know what it is as I haven't done it yet.

52 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I was reading a story in the Australian media, some buskers are now carrying terminals so that people can use cards as the cashless society means many people don’t have cash to pay them.

While I did mainly use EFTPOS and Paywave back home, I did still carry small change too. Here I have never used my debit card in a store, only online where it requires an OTP to authenticate the transaction.

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

My Kasikorn ATM/DEBIT card is VISA branded and was issued recently.

There is something one has to do in order to activate the cc function, I don't know what it is as I haven't done it yet.

Yes, mine too, now has a 6 digit chip/pin and requires it to be entered on purchase anything.

Can you help me out here. Please tell me where I can get the non government/bank controlled cash that you have in your pocket. Where are these trees that I can pick the cash from?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Here we already have QR payments which for simple transactions just needs a printed QR code in the collection hat.

I'm not a beggar, but if you want to try QR payment just use your banking app to scan this QR, you probably don't want to hit "confirm" :whistling:

20190223_124136.jpg

In order to create your own you will need PromptPay enabled on your account (at least with SCB and BBL).

Archived