My Experience Extending my Retirement "Visa" last Friday.

18 minutes ago, OJAS said:

You pair have clearly missed the references in this thread to the Rayong Immigration Office based at Maptaput!

I saw others asking, repeatedly, what office the OP used, and if it was Rayong. But if the OP ever answered that, I didn't see it, even reading thru the entire thread.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not the same case I was referring to.

In that case if they want to see proof of that you would need a one year bank statement or you would need to keep your bank book updated on a regular basis.

If mid year you would like to move your 800k from one Thai bank to another - To say get a better interest rate... Would that be possible?... 

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Same with me using TransferWise. Oct and Nov went to Bangkok Bank, then bang! December's went to TMB. This means that I'll be kicked back at immigration for not having 12 months proof of international transfers under the present rules. Luckily I'm in a position to transfer the 400,000 in time for the seasoning of my marriage extension. 

You don't know if you will be knocked back until you try it. 

You could try printing off the Transferwise receipt for that TMB one, and see if the IO is persuaded. Just seems better than trying the onerous marriage extension route. 

35 minutes ago, OJAS said:

You pair have clearly missed the references in this thread to the Rayong Immigration Office based at Maptaput!

I sure did!  I'm also sure that you will be able to quote the references where he stated that, though.  Over to you.

By the way, "you pair"?  Pair of what?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

If mid year you would like to move your 800k from one Thai bank to another - To say get a better interest rate... Would that be possible?... 

IMHO as long as you can show the cash being withdrawn/transferred and on the same day being deposited in another bank it will be acceptable.

I was planning on using monthly income deposits in Thai Bank for my retirement visa renewal in May. I've been using Transfer wise to send all my pension payments here. Am I understanding correctly that using Transfer wise for deposits here will NOT qualify as proof of monthly retirement income? 

3 hours ago, Longcut said:

No, I am still using the U.S. address. I wasn't aware that they changed the date when using a Thai address. Think I will just leave it as it is. 

When you register your address as out of country it defaults to the third day of the month

2 minutes ago, Obiwon said:

I was planning on using monthly income deposits in Thai Bank for my retirement visa renewal in May. I've been using Transfer wise to send all my pension payments here. Am I understanding correctly that using Transfer wise for deposits here will NOT qualify as proof of monthly retirement income? 

Depends on a variety of factors.  If the Immigration Officer on the day is checking for evidence of an overseas source of deposit.  If whatever is reported in your bank statement or passbook supports the overseas nature of the deposit.  

TransferWise makes no guarantee whatsoever what the partner banks in Thailand (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, and TMB) will code your transfer.  Could be something like FTT (Foreign Telegraphic Transfer for Bangkok Bank) or it could be something indicating a domestic bank transfer.  Even having a Bangkok Bank account is no guarantee that it will be coded as FTT, although some seem to believe it is.

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I saw the reference, but not from the OP.

The OP last visited 27 minutes ago, but still hasn't answered the question.

Just for the record, there was no reference to that from the OP.  A question or guess from marcusarelus does not mean anything!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Depends on a variety of factors.  If the Immigration Officer on the day is checking for evidence of an overseas source of deposit.  If whatever is reported in your bank statement or passbook supports the overseas nature of the deposit.  

TransferWise makes no guarantee whatsoever what the partner banks in Thailand (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, and TMB) will code your transfer.  Could be something like FTT (Foreign Telegraphic Transfer for Bangkok Bank) or it could be something indicating a domestic bank transfer.  Even having a Bangkok Bank account is no guarantee that it will be coded as FTT, although some seem to believe it is.

Thank you for the info! Appreciated

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Just for the record, there was no reference to that from the OP.  A question or guess from marcusarelus does not mean anything!

What part of 'I saw the reference, but not from the OP' did you not understand.

26 minutes ago, Obiwon said:

You need to check with your Thai bank if the deposits are coded as FTT (foreign) or 'Domestic'.

You can in the case of a deposit being made from say TMB into your BKK account being coded as 'domestic', request an advice receipt from TMB showing the foreign telex request, alternatively you could print of the transaction receipt from your Transferwise account ……… but there is no guarantee Immigration would accept either of these receipts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

So is there confirmation that fund balances will not have to be reported on a 90 day or interim basis?

It's yet another indication that checking will be done when you go to apply for the next year's extension.  There are no indications that I am aware of where someone has to visit the immigration office on a 90 day or interim basis to prove compliance with the fund balances.  You could call that confirmation or an abundance of anecdotal evidence, whichever you prefer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

And the reports I've seen to date is immigration wants to see "Thai bank documentation;" not stuff from foreign banks, money transfer services, a letter from your Mom saying she sends you money monthly, etc.

Agreed.

Although I imagine the credit advice documentation and other "stuff" could be used to persuade your bank to include such a deposit on the list of international monthly deposits they are supposed to produce for immigration (although I don't believe anyone has posted what that will look like yet).

I tend to agree that the average immigration office will not be too impressed with a TransferWise receipt or copies of your home bank statements, or indeed, even credit advices from Thai banks, when they probably believe they should just have to look at your required Thai bank letter and statement for all they need to make their decision.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Agreed.

Although I imagine the credit advice documentation and other "stuff" could be used to persuade your bank to include such a deposit on the list of international monthly deposits they are supposed to produce for immigration (although I don't believe anyone has posted what that will look like yet).

I tend to agree that the average immigration office will not be too impressed with a TransferWise receipt or copies of your home bank statements, or indeed, even credit advices from Thai banks, when they probably believe they should just have to look at your required Thai bank letter and statement for all they need to make their decision.

From what I was advised in the case of a discrepancy where the funds originated the IO will simply call the bank to confirm it was from overseas.

• Like 1

Sorry I was a bit slack getting back on here today - other things to do.. And now it's taken me longer to go through all the replies than I'd expected.

First on the subject of which office was this.?  I deliberately did not mention this as I don't want people turning up there saying but you told "steve73" that I could do this or that...  I presented the info I received as best I understood it, and as I didn't record the conversation it was entirely from memory.  Any errors are entirely due to my misunderstanding. 

Anyone who is not completely sure of their own situation should seek their own confirmation at their local office to be sure (and hope the answer is the same when they actually go to do their extension). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

From my IO, yes.

I'll give 3 reasons why the balances won't be checked until the next extension application;

1. It would make the option to report by mail or online defunct.

2. You may be visiting another Country, so not in Thailand.

3. And probably the main reason, IO's wouldn't be able to cope with the demands if every 90 day report had to be made in person.

Weren’t they mulling the idea of allowing us to do our 90 day reporting at the 7-11?... We could bring our bank statements too and the 7-11 lady could take a picture of it with her cellphone and forward everything to Immigration!... Easy Peasy!...

28 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Sorry I was a bit slack getting back on here today - other things to do.. And now it's taken me longer to go through all the replies than I'd expected.

First on the subject of which office was this.?  I deliberately did not mention this as I don't want people turning up there saying but you told "steve73" that I could do this or that...  I presented the info I received as best I understood it, and as I didn't record the conversation it was entirely from memory.  Any errors are entirely due to my misunderstanding. 

Anyone who is not completely sure of their own situation should seek their own confirmation at their local office to be sure (and hope the answer is the same when they actually go to do their extension). 

I'd suggest Thai Visa either remove your thread of change theirs. Not knowing what immigration office asks for what really defeats the purpose of the forum and reduces everything to rumor. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Depends how you keep your funds.

I have a separate fixed term account as proof of funds for Immigration purposes.

The passbook shows the date and term of my deposit.

I simply update the passbook, no transactions, and balance still as the deposit date.

No statements required.

Very easy for the IO to see how long the funds have been in the account.

Thanks for this & others of your posts commenting how fixed deposit account will need to be documented.

5 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Weren’t they mulling the idea of allowing us to do our 90 day reporting at the 7-11?... We could bring our bank statements too and the 7-11 lady could take a picture of it with her cellphone and forward everything to Immigration!... Easy Peasy!...

That was an April fools prank posted on TV last year.

39 minutes ago, Pib said:

And the reports I've seen to date is immigration wants to see "Thai bank documentation;" not stuff from foreign banks, money transfer services, a letter from your Mom saying she sends you money monthly, etc.

They can ask for supporting documents at any time, as was the case with 'affidavits' and 'stat decs' previously.

They can also ring the bank when in doubt of the source of transfer.