How is Lion air??

Lemonlime

5 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Check the baggage terms and ask about carry-on as well to be sure what you’ll pay all inclusive, round trip. If I remember correctly our tickets were inexpensive but didn’t include any stowed baggage which was an additional fee.

If I remember correctly, it was 3 years ago, Lion Air allowed me 15kg of stowed baggage and was reasonably priced for excess baggage. Nok Air, a completely different story. Seriously robbed me twice. Never again.

Definitely worth checking when you book, though.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

I flew with them last week Bangkok to Phuket and return. As with all the budget carriers if it’s a flight later in the day expect delays.due to them having to catch up on times. Apart from the slight delays the Flights where OK.

Check the baggage small print as it changed from 15 Jan.

A Lion Air 737 crashed in Indonesia last Oct.

• Like 1

we use them a lot to get to Bangkok because its the only early flight, big warning though, if you are going to take stored baggage take out extra insurance as they only allow 500 baht maximum for any damage if you dont. We have had a couple of suitcases broken by them as they seem to just throw them, our daughters was in pieces when it came out on the baggage belt, I ended up having a huge argument with the head person, she just said if no insurance they will do nothing more than either 200 baht for a small one or 500 baht for a big one, when I emailed head office about it several times they never answered at all. One we had only just bought and still had the price tags on it, cannot believe the damage they did but since then we have one extra insurance and had no damage at all, maybe it is how they get people to buy it. Flights are good(inside Thailand) and service ok, just the baggage is/was the problem

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, seajae said:

we use them a lot to get to Bangkok because its the only early flight, big warning though, if you are going to take stored baggage take out extra insurance as they only allow 500 baht maximum for any damage if you dont. We have had a couple of suitcases broken by them as they seem to just throw them, our daughters was in pieces when it came out on the baggage belt, I ended up having a huge argument with the head person, she just said if no insurance they will do nothing more than either 200 baht for a small one or 500 baht for a big one, when I emailed head office about it several times they never answered at all. One we had only just bought and still had the price tags on it, cannot believe the damage they did but since then we have one extra insurance and had no damage at all, maybe it is how they get people to buy it. Flights are good(inside Thailand) and service ok, just the baggage is/was the problem

So, I should better choose Thai airlines if I need to bring lots of baggages?

2 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Check the baggage terms and ask about carry-on as well to be sure what you’ll pay all inclusive, round trip. If I remember correctly our tickets were inexpensive but didn’t include any stowed baggage which was an additional fee.

True, their 10K check-in luggage allowance is finished. No free allowance, now passenger pays for every Kg of check-in bags. Rate for 15 or 20Kg (fairly common weight for check-in) adds quite an amount to the base fare.

I was a believer until arrived in CM on a flight from Don Muang, air-bridge all in place, cabin crew couldn't open the door, several mobile calls, 10 minutes later it was opened from the outside.

Old Thai male passenger, was less than impressed and told them so. Comment from cabin supervisor 'Ohh it's OK, all new staff, haven't had this part of the training yet'.

Also, called their call centre in Bkk to report the 'can't open the door' incident, spoke to young Thai man, his response 'it's a budget airline, what do you expect?'

Also asked him about insurance on flight to Ho Chi Minh City and rt, response 'read the website' and he hung up. 

Plus way too many accidents in Indonesia. 

Edited by scorecard

In my experience booking a low-cost fare usually doesn't work out that much cheaper with all the add ons. Of course, there are many factors involved. Do your homework basically, Everyone has different reasons for travelling. I have gone through the whole process sometimes to book a ticket. Add on Luggage, Add on a seat,  Add on a meal,  Etc. Only to pull out when I get to the final price.  

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 9:55 AM, Halfaboy said:

I would recommend having a look at the safety records of Lion Air....

Lion Air Thailand is fine. I know a few of their pilots. As for Lion Air Indonesia, they are the ones that are crap and crash.  They are run as  completely separate airlines

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

In my experience booking a low-cost fare usually doesn't work out that much cheaper with all the add ons. Of course, there are many factors involved. Do your homework basically, Everyone has different reasons for travelling. I have gone through the whole process sometimes to book a ticket. Add on Luggage, Add on a seat,  Add on a meal,  Etc. Only to pull out when I get to the final price.  

If you take the trouble to understand the optional charges and can be somewhat flexible, budget airlines are a bargain. I've flown Air Asia regionally countless times for the basic, no frills fare, with just a 7kg cabin bag, no stupid reserved seat, priority boarding and the rest of it. Even flown to Melbourne from Bangkok a couple of times that way. Just be sure to prepare properly: pack the bare essentials, no prohibited items, weigh your bag before leaving home, take some snacks for the flight and - especially if you are Chinese - an empty water bottle to fill up airside at the fountain.

Next week - Gold Coast on Scoot for less than 5k Baht - 10kg free allowance - luxury!

Cheap Charlie.

• Like 1

I have used them in Indonesia extensively, for flights to "outer Islands". As such when they moved onto the Thai market I have taken them as often as not.  Cross fingers I have had no problems and no problems on the two flights I checked luggage.

I would look at what flight is most convenient, time or schedule wise, but would not hesitate to take them again.

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Lion Air Thailand is fine. I know a few of their pilots. As for Lion Air Indonesia, they are the ones that are crap and crash.  They are run as  completely separate airlines

Thank you. I was under the impression that it was the same company. 

My friend flew them to the south last week and there was a 2 hr delay. She ended up missing ferry connection and eventually got to the beach resort at midnight (no night staff). So she spent first night on the beach. As an avid outdoors person that is not a problem for her, but for some tourists that would be pretty catastrophic!

On 2/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, Lemonlime said:

So, I should better choose Thai airlines if I need to bring lots of baggages?

air asia if u bring lots of luggage.  thai lion just changed their policys no more free sports equip. now im forced to use nickel and diming air asia.  make sure to pay in original currency on website or they get u thier too.  god air asia nickel and dimes to death. onlly way to save a baht is to pay at air asia office

36 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

air asia if u bring lots of luggage.  thai lion just changed their policys no more free sports equip. now im forced to use nickel and diming air asia.  make sure to pay in original currency on website or they get u thier too.  god air asia nickel and dimes to death. onlly way to save a baht is to pay at air asia office

Can I bring my iPad or some snacks onto the plane?

3 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

If you take the trouble to understand the optional charges and can be somewhat flexible, budget airlines are a bargain. I've flown Air Asia regionally countless times for the basic, no frills fare, with just a 7kg cabin bag, no stupid reserved seat, priority boarding and the rest of it. Even flown to Melbourne from Bangkok a couple of times that way. Just be sure to prepare properly: pack the bare essentials, no prohibited items, weigh your bag before leaving home, take some snacks for the flight and - especially if you are Chinese - an empty water bottle to fill up airside at the fountain.

Next week - Gold Coast on Scoot for less than 5k Baht - 10kg free allowance - luxury!

Cheap Charlie.

Travelling alone for short periods or with no luggage I would fo the same. 

Lion Air Indonesia has one of the worst safety records in the industry.  A crash last Oct killed all on board and it's most recent incident was just 10 days ago when a plane ran off the runway when landing.

Despite some claims that it is a completely separate airline, Lion Air Thailand is an associate company, 49% owned by the parent.

Edited by Old Croc

17 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Lion Air Indonesia has one of the worst safety records in the industry. 

Any links on that, or just spouting  :biggrin:

15 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I prefer Bangkok Airways because they have a free lounge for cheapskate "economy" passengers, like me. ✓

Expensive lounge for a cheapskate  :biggrin: 

Edited by LomSak27

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:
18 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Lion Air Indonesia has one of the worst safety records in the industry. 

Any links on that, or just spouting  :biggrin:

It's called the internet, check it out.

I don't do research for lazy people who just want to dismiss statements by others without any knowledge of their own.

Just now, Old Croc said:

It's called the internet, check it out.

I don't do research for lazy people who just want to dismiss statements by others without any knowledge of their own.

I did, and of course found nothing that confirms your statement. Of course in fairness  I did give you an option to post up some facts. I'm sorry if that upsets you.  :biggrin:  

However Bull excrement ladling is so common here, not really a suprise.   :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, LomSak27 said:

I did, and of course found nothing that confirms your statement. Of course in fairness  I did give you an option to post up some facts. I'm sorry if that upsets you.  :biggrin:  

However Bull excrement ladling is so common here, not really a suprise.   :thumbsup:

The facts exist. That you're not capable of finding them is of little concern to me.

Your propensity to insult suggests a certain immaturity or perhaps a connection to the airline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Old Croc said:

The facts exist. That you're not capable of finding them is of little concern to me.

Your propensity to insult suggests a certain immaturity or perhaps a connection to the airline.

Can't post up any facts so the best you can come up with is I must have a "connection to the airline". 

Well yes I fly, I am a consumer. Although this year I am not taking AAsia Bkk - Denpassar, then Lion to Ambon or beyond. That is a hot season favorite escape package.

No I am going to Euroland in April this year. And while I am a cheapskate I am not flying Scoot. :biggrin: