Are they all like that...no concept of money management?

Elizway

Just now, sanemax said:

Everything is shared among friends here , if one gets 1000 Baht , they will buy food for everyone , and the next day , another person with a 1000 Baht will buy food for everyone , so, theres no need to save any money for the next day .

If I have 10 000 Baht in my pocket , my Thai friends would be like "Lets go out and spend it all" , and I have to explain that thats got to last me the week .

Its OK for them, they all have friends and family they can "borrow" from , I dont .

Do they share husbands and boyfriends?  What you are talking about is tribal society which exists in some farming/brothel communities but not among normal Thai women.  50% of Thailand is no longer involved in agriculture and has far more in common with the West as opposed to the tribal society you describe which is no longer the majority. 

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Its a generalisation but it generally right based on my experience. Plus you have the gambling addiction, lottery, currency trading, god knows what

yes a generalisation, but possibly with class/educational bias; my thai friends are middle class, educated professionals and run/manage their lives comparable to their peers in the west.

i would hazard a guess that if you hang out with the less well educated lower class locals your experiences of how they manage their lives may well be different.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, samsensam said:

yes a generalisation, but possibly with class/educational bias; my thai friends are middle class, educated professionals and run/manage their lives comparable to their peers in the west.

They are lying to you.

I'm living in a middle class Thai moobaan, the number of bank repossessions must be around 10%.

Everyone else is drowning in debt for private schools and new cars they don't really need.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Nope... My wife keeps a ledger of everything that is spent....She has a budget forecast and applies it.....Whether here or on our extended trips she has all her categories broken down & accounted for.....

Her family does the same.... 

Every night she puts that days expenditures, if any, in her ledger.....This includes any receipts for what I spend & she keeps a side ledger broken down for that....

A few times of a question came up for something that we purchased/serviced a few years back she'll have a when spent answer within a 15 minutes....She only keeps receipts on big item purchases for possible warranty coverage....Tosses the daily stuff....She comparison shops & quality checks everything.....

Our 18 year old now keeps her own ledger.....

Jeez, a bit OCD innit?

• Like 2

my thai friends are middle class, educated professionals and run/manage their lives comparable to their peers in the west.

My experience of the middle class is they are very status driven, for example the cyclists, buy expensive everything, probably got loans for the stuff. People in the west on much higher salaries wouldn't spend that much
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There is no thought process.

In the western world all the people who didn't plan ahead froze or starved in the winter.

In tropical countries it's never cold, and food grows in the jungle all year round.

It's an inherited characteristic.

This was discussed at university level. "Southern" people were not "slaves" of seasonal-patterns like their "northern" counterparts. So, over time, the issue of time (punctuality) and "planning" in general just never reached the same degree of importance as in the "north". I think there might be something to it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tlandtday said:

many will say this is racist but there is likely some truth to it.  why plan food stocks when you can simply walk into the jungle and pick fruit year round?

Not racist at all. It's just the way it has been for the last 2000 years in the tropics.

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Do they share husbands and boyfriends?  What you are talking about is tribal society which exists in some farming/brothel communities but not among normal Thai women.  50% of Thailand is no longer involved in agriculture and has far more in common with the West as opposed to the tribal society you describe which is no longer the majority. 

Never mind the Sports and Family Resort called Pattaya.

That's it! I am shaking in my boots with exitement! I want to be part of a farming/brothel/tribal community where they share husbands/wifes/boyfriends and everything else.

Give location (province, town/village). My suitcase is packed, my Bank-Account is sound and my balls are up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

If you ask a Thai woman if she wants 50 baht now, or 500 baht tomorrow, 99% will want the 50% now.

If you find one that will wait till tomorrow for the 500 baht, marry her!

It's even better if you find one who can calculate percentages ???? 

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's even better if you find one who can calculate percentages ???? 

UNESCO, however, last year released a report that revealed that Thailand was way ahead of most countries in region relating to women working STEM (Science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields. Compare, for instance, Thailand 53% share of female researchers working in the field of Science, technology and innovation, compared to Japan’s 15% or South Korea’s 18%. Thailand is generally seen as progressive in this area.

It is a Western guy thing to deny this.  They are called Thai deniers.  Normally men who don't have the wherewithal to live in Thailand and are bitter about it. 

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/the-rise-of-thai-women-in-technology/

Look at the women in the photo - they can all compute percentages but are not the bar girl type you may be attracted to. 

Thai women.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

UNESCO, however, last year released a report that revealed that Thailand was way ahead of most countries in region relating to women working STEM (Science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields. Compare, for instance, Thailand 53% share of female researchers working in the field of Science, technology and innovation, compared to Japan’s 15% or South Korea’s 18%. Thailand is generally seen as progressive in this area.

It is a Western guy thing to deny this.  They are called Thai deniers.  Normally men who don't have the wherewithal to live in Thailand and are bitter about it. 

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/the-rise-of-thai-women-in-technology/

Look at the women in the photo - they can all compute percentages but are not the bar girl type you may be attracted to. 

Thai women.jpg

That's all very interesting.

Did you have a look at the original quote:

bwpage3 said: If you ask a Thai woman if she wants 50 baht now, or 500 baht tomorrow, 99% will want the 50% now.

Do you spot the little inaccuracy in his quote? ...

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Nah, would'nt pay the bar fine....

Don't fancy any of them swinging round a pole....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Nah, would'nt pay the bar fine....

Don't fancy any of them swinging round a pole....????

If you want to make 100% sure that they don't swing around a pole you or someone has to pay the bar fine.

Otherwise they will continue with a show on stage. Imagine that!

Ok, we should all pay our part to make sure we don't have to look at that show ???? 

On 2/27/2019 at 6:59 AM, pgrahmm said:

Nope... My wife keeps a ledger of everything that is spent....She has a budget forecast and applies it.....Whether here or on our extended trips she has all her categories broken down & accounted for.....

Her family does the same.... 

Every night she puts that days expenditures, if any, in her ledger.....This includes any receipts for what I spend & she keeps a side ledger broken down for that....

A few times of a question came up for something that we purchased/serviced a few years back she'll have a when spent answer within a 15 minutes....She only keeps receipts on big item purchases for possible warranty coverage....Tosses the daily stuff....She comparison shops & quality checks everything.....

Our 18 year old now keeps her own ledger.....

13 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jeez, a bit OCD innit?

It's OCD until one day you wake up and discover your account's been pilfered for the past couple of months, like the OP of this thread.  Then you smash your head against the wall dealing with Thai bank employees trying to get your money back.  Or the new washing machine shits the bed after 6-months and you can't find the receipt and warranty info. ????

My wife's pretty good, not a big spender, and has managed businesses and staff, but doesn't have the degree of discipline I do when it comes to admin organization, managing the books, etc.  So we fell into our roles early on - I make and manage the money, she takes care of everything else. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There is no thought process.

In the western world all the people who didn't plan ahead froze or starved in the winter.

In tropical countries it's never cold, and food grows in the jungle all year round.

It's an inherited characteristic.

You do know that this is quite untrue, don' t you? Surviving in the tropics as primitive peoples it required a great deal of planning not to take to much, go live near the right tree in the right time o year, hunt when the ifish is abundant at a certain time etc. Stepping up to the agricultural stage, with many people, was harder still in terms of water management, seedlings, etc.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's all very interesting.

Did you have a look at the original quote:

bwpage3 said: If you ask a Thai woman if she wants 50 baht now, or 500 baht tomorrow, 99% will want the 50% now.

Do you spot the little inaccuracy in his quote? ...

There is no inaccuracy here. They just want 50 % down on the table, as in now. It's called a counteroffer.

Also, I would not mind making the acquaintance of the lady on the far right in the picture...

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 11:09 AM, Puchaiyank said:

They are more frugal when there is no farang to lean on...

yes, but how easy guys like OP get fooled??

When the farang is on the scene, splashing money around like confetti...

lol

Of course they will tell you they got 

Zero baht!!

but in actual fact they probably banked everything last baht they came accross...

or given to Thai BF or family!!

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The question is if one of the other girls would want such an associating.

Don't know about you but I've had no trouble.  Engineers, accountants and biology and other science grads.  Stay away from the fru fring moo ming degrees like marketing, English, and so on. 

On 2/28/2019 at 4:12 PM, marcusarelus said:

When you wrote "they" you lost me.  At my house that is an automatic exit.  Don't you realize how offensive that is? 

Don't you know how sensitive you are