Two policemen kidnapped, murdered by insurgents in Narathiwat

webfact

Two policemen kidnapped, murdered by insurgents in Narathiwat

By The Nation

70f42b646a234bde73a438957ea7fcb3-sld.jpe

Two policemen were found murdered early on Wednesday morning after being kidnapped the night before in a raid by suspected insurgents on a teashop in Narathiwat's Joh I Rong district.

Pol Corporal Naret Ladthong, 31, and Pol Cpl Ruswaidee Samae, 30, were found shot dead in a ditch in Moo 2 village of Tambon Pukit at 12.30am on Wednesday after they were kidnapped in the same village at 7.30pm on Tuesday night.

Joh I Rong police station was alerted of the kidnapping immediately after eight insurgents raided the teashop.

Two villagers, Rosi Mana and Dulman Jejdeh, were drinking tea with the two policemen when the insurgents arrived.

Rose and Dulman told police that the insurgents wore masks, were dressed like soldiers and carried guns. As four stood guard outside, four entered the shop and spoke in Thai to the two policemen before forcing them at gunpoint into Naret's pickup truck outside and speeding off.

Alerted of the kidnapping, Joh I Rong police chief Pol Col Lukman Borkoh radioed all 13 police stations in Narathiwat to hunt for the pickup in a desperate bid to rescue the officers.

But at 12.30am, villagers contacted the Joh I Rong police chief to report that the two policemen's bodies had been found dumped in a roadside ditch about 200 metres from the teashop.

Lukman then dispatched a team of police and bomb disposal officers to investigate, fearing that the insurgents might have booby-trapped the scene. No bomb was found at the spot.

At 4.30am, Narathiwat deputy police chief Pol Col Kong-at Suwankham reported Naret’s pickup had been found torched on a road in Ban Paluka village in Tambon Kosit of Takbai district.

Bomb disposal police were again sent to the scene but found no explosive devices.

Kong-at, who is acting Takbai police chief, said the insurgent kidnappers apparently knew local routes well because they had used back roads to avoid police checkpoints from Joh I Rong to Takbai. They drove through Sungai Padi and Sungai Kolok districts without being detected, he added.

Police believe the insurgents might have already fled across the border into Malaysia.

Kong-at said the insurgents had also snatched an M16 assault rifle and two 9mm pistols from the slain policemen.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30364869

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-27

...200 meters from the tea shop....???

...how is that possible.....???

...what back roads come into the picture....???

...condolences to the families....

...hard to understand what is really going on in that area....

...maybe a number of different things...???

Just now, MaxLee said:

Yeah, that's why nobody respects the police or law of order in Thailand....

That is a glib reply. US has lost many wars/insurrections due to guerrilla type actions.

These murderers infiltrated an open border and and returned after inflicting their crime.

How do you respond to that type action. Any soldier anywhere in the world is hard pressed to

counter border crossing and the political reasons why Thailand and Malaysia need to still have dialogue.

23 minutes ago, Krungbin said:

Please learn about the Bangkok Treaty of 1909 before writing stupid comments 

Sure the Provinces were not absorbed by Thailand by force of arms, but by colonial era political arrangement. However, the ethnic Malay locals were subjected to attempted forcible absorption into Thai culture which led to the ongoing low level insurgency conflict. The use of torture, extrajudicial killings, corruption and so on by Thai forces hasn't helped, it is not unusual it is later reported murders by the insurgency were due to extrajudicial killings by Thai forces.

A bit out of date, but a Strategic Analysis Paper written by a Thai military officer, below, is IMO well worth review for further insight.

http://www.defence.gov.au/ADC/Publications/Shedden/2012/SheddenPapers12_120306_ConflictinThailand_Nurakkate.pdf

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Me & the Mrs took a road trip down South last year, we went down the Andaman coast as far as Satun, stayed a few days and then headed back up the Gulf coast, we stayed well away from those trouble spots, I had enough of that with another religious war just off the coast of the UK when I was in the British army thank you.

Rip to the 2 cops and condolences to their families, a sad state of affairs indeed.

23 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Sure the Provinces were not absorbed by Thailand by force of arms, but by colonial era political arrangement. However, the ethnic Malay locals were subjected to attempted forcible absorption into Thai culture which led to the ongoing low level insurgency conflict. The use of torture, extrajudicial killings, corruption and so on by Thai forces hasn't helped, it is not unusual it is later reported murders by the insurgency were due to extrajudicial killings by Thai forces.

A bit out of date, but a Strategic Analysis Paper written by a Thai military officer, below, is IMO well worth review for further insight.

http://www.defence.gov.au/ADC/Publications/Shedden/2012/SheddenPapers12_120306_ConflictinThailand_Nurakkate.pdf

Your post is mostly correct, if a little one sided.

No one (at least me) knows who was the first to kill an opponent after 1909 but I suspect it may have been a Muslim.

This area of the world is similar to the Palestinian conflict, and I have no solution to either.

One thing for sure is that tit for tat military actions do not work, and never has.

As in Ireland now, resurgence of violent actions are on the rise.

It will take pure diplomacy and forgiveness to resolve issues.

And lets be honest, that is not about to happen in all 3 of these conflicts.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Historical mistake to conquer Muslim territory (and later forcing them to fully subdue to Thai governance).

Nice try! Wrong history...because it's in the media doesn't make it correct! Rama 5 gave the bottom 4 provinces to the Brits so that they could make the "Federated Malay States", "Patani" was done and dusted nearly 300 years ago, this "rebellion" has only sprung up lately and appears to be a cover for illegal smuggling and extortion of local businesses! Solution...wrap in hush puppies and hang everyone they catch!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Historical mistake to conquer Muslim territory (and later forcing them to fully subdue to Thai governance).

Indeed. Like so many historical mistakes Siam/Thailand has made over the centuries in her thirst to bring the entire region under her dominance. Many of these attempts back-fired, of course. And some of them still do. But that doesn't change at all the fact that Islam is NOT a "religion of peace" -- and never was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Misterwhisper said:

Indeed. Like so many historical mistakes Siam/Thailand has made over the centuries in her thirst to bring the entire region under her dominance.

And long before some 20th century treaties with a colonial power.

3 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

RIP to these soldiers.

What soldiers?

Where do you read that?

I read that these were ordinary policemen in their unarmed pickup.

(which makes it look even worse, similar to random killing of monks, teachers, civil servants)

2019-02-04 :

• Mara Patani, an umbrella organisation of insurgent groups in the deep South, has announced its decision to suspend peace talks with the Thai government and called for the replacement of the Thai delegation head General Udomchai Thammasarorat with someone “more credible”.   http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363503

There are sad consequences in the Thai military's failure to present a credible peace talks.

One has to consider whether the military really cares about a peaceful end to the insurgency or is satisfied with a certain level of violence as the status quo.

• Like 2