Where can I buy windows 10 pro activation ?

n210mp

On 3/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, billd766 said:

I have an old Acer Travelmate 6410 that was running Windows 10 Pro but the hard drive went erratic and it refused to stay up for more than a couple of minutes.

I took it to the local shop for repair and they put in a 240Gb SSD. THey also loaded Win 8.1 which I refused, then Win 7, refused again and finally they got me Win 10 Pro.

The problem with that Win 10 is that in settings/network & Internet there is no setting for ethernet so I cannot connect the laptop using a lan cable. It does however work using an external WiFi to my 3BB network.

Do I need to buy a new Win 10 Pro activation key and then download Win 10 Pro or is there a way of installing the Ethernet link connection into settings/network & internet.

I suspect that you have a driver issue, meaning that Windows is not recognising your network card. If you go to the search and type "device manager", can you see any errors or symbols where it says network adapters?  If so, you can check for the device make.   There are some Broadcom drivers listed on this page.

https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/acer/laptops-desktops/travelmate-6410/16095

34 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

I suspect that you have a driver issue, meaning that Windows is not recognising your network card. If you go to the search and type "device manager", can you see any errors or symbols where it says network adapters?  If so, you can check for the device make.   There are some Broadcom drivers listed on this page.

https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/acer/laptops-desktops/travelmate-6410/16095

Thanks for the tip.

I have already downloaded all the drivers and tried to load the Broadcom driver. It does load and I can install it but when I try to activate the driver it fails as there is no ethernet to connect to.

When I go to Settings/Network & Internet on my 64 bit main pc the panel on the left shows me

Status

WiFi

Ethernet

Dial up

VPN

Airplane mode

Mobile Hotspot

Data Usage 

Proxy

On my old 32 bit laptop I get the same result.

However when I go to the laptop and do the same I get the same panel EXCEPT there is no Ethernet logo.

The lan cable has been replaced from the router and the router show that I am connected to the pc but without the Ethernet I cannot use the lan cable and router.

At the moment I am using an external WiFi which works very well between the pc and the router so I know that the Win 10 is working as I can get on line through the WiFi.

This is why I think that the problem lies with the Win 10 that they loaded onto the pc.

Thanks for the tip.

I have already downloaded all the drivers and tried to load the Broadcom driver. It does load and I can install it but when I try to activate the driver it fails as there is no ethernet to connect to.

When I go to Settings/Network & Internet on my 64 bit main pc the panel on the left shows me
Status
WiFi
Ethernet
Dial up
VPN
Airplane mode
Mobile Hotspot
Data Usage 
Proxy

However when I go to the laptop and do the same I get the same panel EXCEPT there is no Ethernet logo.

The lan cable has been replaced from the router and the router show that I am connected to the pc but without the Ethernet I cannot use the lan cable and router.

At the moment I am using an external WiFi which works very well between the pc and the router so I know that the Win 10 is working as I can get on line through the WiFi.

This is why I think that the problem lies with the Win 10 that they loaded onto the pc.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'activate' the driver. After you have installed it, what do you see in device manager? Can you see the ethernet adapter? If you can, does it report any errors?

Try to uninstall the ethernet adaptet and check the box if it asks you to delete the drivers, and then restart. Check abd repeat again until Windows tries to reinstall and can't find a driver. Now, try to install the driver again in Windows 7 compatibility mode and see what happens.

It's possible that your Windows settings are corrupted and a fresh clean install would never be a bad idea. You can download the "media creation tool" and then select 'Upgrade this PC'. This will effectively give you a clean install while keeping all your personal files and settings.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:56 PM, billd766 said:

Thanks for the tip.

Status

WiFi

Ethernet

Dial up

VPN

Airplane mode

Mobile Hotspot

Data Usage 

Proxy

If possible, you could try a USB to LAN adapter on your computer and see if that works. Perhaps narrow down the field as to where your problem is. See below (only an example, loads of different models out there):

usb-lan.jpg.1a0a6585afb40e6793e86d83498a97ea.jpg

On 3/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, billd766 said:

I have an old Acer Travelmate 6410 that was running Windows 10 Pro but the hard drive went erratic and it refused to stay up for more than a couple of minutes.

I took it to the local shop for repair and they put in a 240Gb SSD. THey also loaded Win 8.1 which I refused, then Win 7, refused again and finally they got me Win 10 Pro.

The problem with that Win 10 is that in settings/network & Internet there is no setting for ethernet so I cannot connect the laptop using a lan cable. It does however work using an external WiFi to my 3BB network.

Do I need to buy a new Win 10 Pro activation key and then download Win 10 Pro or is there a way of installing the Ethernet link connection into settings/network & internet.

Why not download the driver for your Ethernet card from the manufacturers website and give it a try?

Edit

ooops... you already did that?

37 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't think that I have one of those connectors.

majority of laptops now don't have ethernet connectors, does you laptop has an ethernet connection available to plug in the cable, mine is a Dell, 4 years old and doesn't have ethernet connector  it was offered as an option maybe yours it's the same, it's worth to check your invoice

5 minutes ago, ravip said:

Why not download the driver for your Ethernet card from the manufacturers website and give it a try?

Edit

ooops... you already did that?

if his laptop has an ethernet connector Windows 10 automatically will detect it if the ethernet cable is plugged in, it will (or should) display NEW Connections available

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't think that I have one of those connectors.

Hi Bill, are you running Windows Updates? If you are, it might be an idea to check for updates and see if the network drivers are listed under optional updates.

Easiest way to get there is by Winkey + i\Windows Updates\Check for Updates, and do a manual check. If it is windows 10, it should recognize drivers are missing and download the correct ones.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:56 AM, billd766 said:

Thanks for the tip.

Status

WiFi

Ethernet

Dial up

VPN

Airplane mode

Mobile Hotspot

Data Usage 

Proxy

Check what it says in device manager and system information for your network devices.

Is your LAN card a broadcom, Intel or realtek device?

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Normally this happens on Windows activated by those hack tools. An update comes and wipes the 'hacked activation' off.

Either that or the OS has been installed from an enterprise/corporate version. These versions are preferred by the computer shops over retail or VLK versions. The drawback is they need to be reactivated after 180 days.

Good way to see whats under the hood is type 'winver' into search and click on it in the search results.

Then type 'cmd' into search and open command prompt. Type 'slmgr /xpr' and check the message you get; it should be something like this (depending on your version) if you are good....................:wink:

1.jpg.6a7625a977b98507cb8d76c084c12b64.jpg

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

if his laptop has an ethernet connector Windows 10 automatically will detect it if the ethernet cable is plugged in, it will (or should) display NEW Connections available

The problem is that I do have an ethernet port, the cable is plugged in (I can see it on the router) but Windows does not detect it. I unplugged the lan cable from the pc and the router light went out. Plug it back in and the light comes on.

I have downloaded the Acer drivers and whilst I can see and install it the device manager I can't activate it.

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Hi Bill, are you running Windows Updates? If you are, it might be an idea to check for updates and see if the network drivers are listed under optional updates.

Easiest way to get there is by Winkey + i\Windows Updates\Check for Updates, and do a manual check. If it is windows 10, it should recognize drivers are missing and download the correct ones.

I have just done a Windows update and there are no updates available.

10 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Either that or the OS has been installed from an enterprise/corporate version. These versions are preferred by the computer shops over retail or VLK versions. The drawback is they need to be reactivated after 180 days.

Good way to see whats under the hood is type 'winver' into search and click on it in the search results.

Then type 'cmd' into search and open command prompt. Type 'slmgr /xpr' and check the message you get; it should be something like this (depending on your version) if you are good....................:wink:

1.jpg.6a7625a977b98507cb8d76c084c12b64.jpg

Yep, you are correct.

It says Win 10 Pro. Activation expires 25 Aug 2019.

Barstewards.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

The problem is that I do have an ethernet port, the cable is plugged in (I can see it on the router) but Windows does not detect it. I unplugged the lan cable from the pc and the router light went out. Plug it back in and the light comes on.

I have downloaded the Acer drivers and whilst I can see and install it the device manager I can't activate it.

I have just done a Windows update and there are no updates available.

in windows 10 go to settings, than select click on network and internet,  scroll down to ethernet and highlight/click on it, does it show ethernet connected? if you click on the ethernet word it will take you to another screen saying metered connection, is it on of off, below it will indicated the type of network card/controller you have, what's the name and there is also the driver version and physical address. you may have to disable the controller and enable again to see if windows will detect it, sometimes a restart helps a lot...

forgot to ask, you have 2 versions of windows running one being a 32 bits and the other being a 64 bits, care to explain

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yep, you are correct.

It says Win 10 Pro. Activation expires 25 Aug 2019.

Barstewards.

OK, but regardless this should not affect your network connections. One more thing to check and that is that your Services are setup correctly. To open Services:

1/ Click the Winkey + r to open the Run box

2/ Type services.msc and enter

3/ Click on any service and scroll down to the network services. You should see something similar to the snap below. The important thing here is the startup type, if it is not the same (or similar) to the snap, make a list of your current startups and change to what I have. I have highlighted Network Setup Service; if it gives you an option to Start, click on Start and try to install your drivers again.

558630244_networkservices.jpg.9b75538b0fd8badb27a0e1141e19a40b.jpg

Good Luck. Are your chipset drivers up to date? You will need to go to the manufacturer's site to check on this. No harm in downloading and installing the latest ones.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, billd766 said:

Can you please show a screen shot of the device manager?

Any  yellow exclamation marks or red X?

Did you try to uninstall device and reinstall?

Edit

Did you check, if by any chance, the LAN port was disabled in the BIOS?

46 minutes ago, ravip said:

Can you please show a screen shot of the device manager?

Any  yellow exclamation marks or red X?

Did you try to uninstall device and reinstall?

Edit

Did you check, if by any chance, the LAN port was disabled in the BIOS?

Very good call ravip. Bill, enter your BIOS/UEFI and check that your ethernet controller is in fact enabled. You should find this in Network setup, but may be under different terminology on your machine.

Wi-Fi should also have a enabled/disabled option there as well; as you can connect with wi-fi I am assuming this is enabled.

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

in windows 10 go to settings, than select click on network and internet,  scroll down to ethernet and highlight/click on it, does it show ethernet connected? if you click on the ethernet word it will take you to another screen saying metered connection, is it on of off, below it will indicated the type of network card/controller you have, what's the name and there is also the driver version and physical address. you may have to disable the controller and enable again to see if windows will detect it, sometimes a restart helps a lot...

forgot to ask, you have 2 versions of windows running one being a 32 bits and the other being a 64 bits, care to explain

I have tried that but I don't have the Ethernet icon to click on.

I have 3 computers.

My main one is a 64 bit.

Another is an old laptop with no screen but it has a monitor.

The 3rd is the one I am having a problem with and that is an Acer with a screen and is running on 64 bits.

I downloaded the installation tool kit for Windows 10 and downloaded Win 10 Pro.

It didn't install properly and reverted to what I had before.

I downloaded Win 10 again this morning and it also failed to fully install.

The notification said

Couldn't install Win 10. 0xC1900101-0x30018

Installation failed in the first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation.

Luckily I can still use the pc as my desktop failed to boot up this morning. It has been five for the last 2 1/2 years.

Hey ho back to the computer shop.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I downloaded the installation tool kit for Windows 10 and downloaded Win 10 Pro.

It didn't install properly and reverted to what I had before.

I downloaded Win 10 again this morning and it also failed to fully install.

The notification said

Couldn't install Win 10. 0xC1900101-0x30018

Installation failed in the first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation.

Luckily I can still use the pc as my desktop failed to boot up this morning. It has been five for the last 2 1/2 years.

Hey ho back to the computer shop.

I remember that I tried to help you once.....it was a thankless task...which must be why you are on ignore.

Since I am in good mood, it is clear that your issue is that you are trying to install Windows 10 over the top of the old installation, when you should be formatting and clean installing.

Taking it back to a shop that will only install another hacked copy would be the height of stupidity.

Did you actually purchase a new licence. Otherwise how do you hope to activate the newly installed media?

It's a device from the XP era, so it's always going to fail if you try to upgrade.

Clean install is likely the best chance.

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

I remember that I tried to help you once.....it was a thankless task...which must be why you are on ignore.

Since I am in good mood, it is clear that your issue is that you are trying to install Windows 10 over the top of the old installation, when you should be formatting and clean installing.

Taking it back to a shop that will only install another hacked copy would be the height of stupidity.

Did you actually purchase a new licence. Otherwise how do you hope to activate the newly installed media?

It's a device from the XP era, so it's always going to fail if you try to upgrade.

Clean install is likely the best chance.

Thank you for your help.

I don't remember if you helped pr not but that would have been 2 years or more ago.

The shop that worked on it does have a valid licence which is what it is running on now. The hard drive had failed and was replaced by an SSD and a clean install would have been done then, about 2 weeks ago.

AS for the upgrade, I am working on the advice from the posters before you, none of whom told me that the upgrade would fail every time.

Hopefully should anyone else be in a similar position to me and find this thread, they may find it useful or not.

Archived