Residency Certificate denied

Hi!  I have moved between Phuket and Chiang Mai every year and a half or so for years and have always done my change of address and then got a Certificate of Residency and changed all my addresses on my car and lic with no problem.  This time I went into Chiang Mai immigration and they said I can't get a Residency letter because my last retirement extension was done in Phuket and I have to wait till I renew my retirement here in Chiang Mai to get one.  I then tried some of the visa services and they said the same thing, can't do it.  Is this a new law or just Chiang Mai making something up?  Any help will be much appreciated!

If it's really just for changing the address for your car and license, then there is no point in doing this

A law which says you have to change this (at least for the vehicle, about license not sure) exists, but this isn't enforced, so who cares

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If it's really just for changing the address for your car and license, then there is no point in doing this

A law which says you have to change this (at least for the vehicle, about license not sure) exists, but this isn't enforced, so who cares

The reason for getting a residency is not just to change addresses, this means for the next 10 months I can't buy a car or scooter because I won't be able to register it.

3 minutes ago, suave said:

The reason for getting a residency is not just to change addresses, this means for the next 10 months I can't buy a car or scooter because I won't be able to register it.

Yes, if you need it for any other reason, then this is of course a problem.

You could show the immigration officer how much you value his work, this might change his mind ????

Another option would be to go there together with a friend who works for the government (in government uniform), government workers help each other and if you show up with him you will be treated different.

Maybe try getting a certificate of residence at a police stations, i've seen posts of people here on Thaivisa where they wrote that they got it at a regular police station.

If this all doesn't work you could try to get your name in a yellow house book.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, suave said:

Have no idea, but that would seem the long way around, haha.

Yes, but even more strange to me at least seems that you change the address every year... THAT is REALLY strange.... Unless you purchase vehicles every year during your stay in this country.... If you have that kind of spending power, maybe you can also step on a flight and fly to Phuket get you resedence paper and back again...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

I think some of you are missing the point of this post.  I was asking if this is a law now, or is Chiang Mai simply making up new regulations as they go?  I was wondering if posters such as Ubonjoe might have some insight?  If I want my car and scooter plated in Chiang Mai as is the law when living here, and in case I want to sell them or buy new ones is not the issue, and if some of you can only get something new every 10 or 20 years that is a pity. 

Edited by suave
left out a word
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Not sure what country the OP is from but local consuls will issue a resident certificate... The US Consul charges $50 for one... 

Cheaper than flying to Phuket & back... :coffee1:

Yes, that is an option.  I just would like to be able to do my business with immigration without any drama.

2 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

You need to file a formal TM.28 to change your adress to Chiang Mai.

Ya, I did the TM30 and the TM28, and after those, I go to the Residency window, but they said no, your retirement extension was in Phuket.  

18 hours ago, suave said:

I was never asked anything about a residency anything when I registered my car and scooter in Samui, just needed to show my visa (retirement) and tell them my address.

2 hours ago, suave said:

Ya, I did the TM30 and the TM28, and after those, I go to the Residency window, but they said no, your retirement extension was in Phuket.  

Never confuse TI with people who have common sense. If it's any consolation, they'd be equally unhelpful with fellow Thais. The milk of human kindness is but a trickle amongst Thai bureaucrats.

2 hours ago, suave said:

We had some reports before that they were refusing to do TM-28s, in order to block 90-day reporting from those with non-CM extensions.  The issue was centered around them requiring a larger than normal bribe from their agent-partners, which drove many to use agents in other provinces (less than 1/2 the cost - just 12.5K in Pattaya).  As this cut them out of the agent-racket 'action' for those applicants, they started refusing services for those who had non-local extensions.

I am glad to hear they will at least do TM-28s now, so you can do legit 90-day reports - though a bummer they are still punishing folks via the residency-cert.  Ironically, Phuket is another location where the agent-costs are similarly high as CM (reported 30K), so no reason anyone would use them as a "workaround" to CM.

There is a US-Consul in CM, so if you go there for a residency-doc, at least it is not a long trip.

• Like 1

When i moved from BKK to Songkhla, i had to wait for the residence certification till i had done the first 90-day-report there. That was long before the next extension was due. Most IO's require a 90-day-report from the place of the new adress before they will issue a residence certificate.

When I tried to renew my extension (CM office) in Jan, the officer asked me if I really want to stay in CM, even though I already had reported 2 times in CM. And she asked me to explain why I moved to CM on one the forms that I had to sign. She told me to bring a copy of my lease (all pages) at the time of PP pick up. No copy, no signiture on stamp. 

17 hours ago, suave said:

I think some of you are missing the point of this post.  I was asking if this is a law now, or is Chiang Mai simply making up new regulations as they go?  I was wondering if posters such as Ubonjoe might have some insight?  If I want my car and scooter plated in Chiang Mai as is the law when living here, and in case I want to sell them or buy new ones is not the issue, and if some of you can only get something new every 10 or 20 years that is a pity. 

"or is Chaing Mai simply making up new regulations as they go?" All IOs do that, so what's new?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sambotte said:

btw... is there a Thai Law saying you have to stay at the same address for retirement ??

Was part of the issue i got at airport on a re-entry. 

No - only report when you move or leave/return two different ways (TM-28 and TM-30, not including TM-6), with requirements varying at each office and over time of when/if these are needed.