Using "Transferwise" money service to move money from foreign bank to Thai Bank for new Visa requirements

The new visa requirements say that foreigners have to maintain a balance of either 400,000 or 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank (depending of visa type).

There is a money transfer service called TransferWise that charges much less and is faster than traditional wire transfers. They maintain bank accounts in many countries (including Thailand). If I want to move $1,000 from my bank in America to Thailand, money is sent from my American bank to their partner bank in America. Then, using their own computer network, they order their partner bank in Thailand to wire Baht to my bank account in Thailand.

So, as they say in their video, no money actually moves between the two countries.

My questions are, how would the immigration office know that the money originated from outside of Thailand? Has anyone ever successfully used TransferWise to transfer money from a foreign bank into a Thai bank account for the purpose of the new visa requirements?

https://transferwise.com/help/article/1779442/basic-information/how-does-it-work-a-video-guide
https://transferwise.com

Edited by roryshaughn

First of all it does not charge 'much less'. In my case SWIFT transfers are free. Transferwise charge on a percentage basis and for larger transfers may even cost more. Their advantage is a better exchange rate and avoiding the charges at the Thai end. You will get more baht for your money.

I recently did a TW transfer to my Bangkok Bank Account and it was reflected as an International transfer at the Thai end. So far 2/3 have shown up this way, so it isn't 100%.

Much discussion of this in other threads. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

I doubt if anyone will test this for visa renewal purposes for at least 6-9 months. We are ALL awaiting the answer.

I will test it in May.

Anyone using the income method (previously using embassy letters) after 1st March will test it as well.

Edited by LucysDad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No they will not unless they do not a have proof of income from their embassy that are valid for 6 months from the date they are issued.

The new rules that went into effect today have nothing to do with income option. That rule went into effect in December.

Buriram Immigration will not accept embassy letters after 1st March.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I recently did a TW transfer to my Bangkok Bank Account and it was reflected as an International transfer at the Thai end. So far 2/3 have shown up this way, so it isn't 100%.

It will be coded FTT in a Bangkok Bank account passbook if Bangkok Bank also happen to be the agency bank which TW use at the Thai end in a particular case. However TW also use TMB and Kasikorn as their agency banks - in which cases transfers will be assigned a non-international coding (most likely SMT) in Bangkok Bank passbooks. Since it is entirely in the lap of the gods as to which of these 3 banks TW choose to use at the Thai end in individual cases, it is, I think, a case of taking the rough with the smooth in using them for monthly 40k/65k transfer purposes.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LucysDad said:

Buriram Immigration will not accept embassy letters after 1st March.

So will they be prepared to accept from as few as 2 x 40k/65k monthly transfers (for the period since the income changes were announced by the Immigration Bureau in January) instead? Or will the 800k/400k bank balance method now be the strict order of the day at that particular office for retirement and marriage extensions applied for by Americans, Aussies & Brits until at least next July?

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

So will they be prepared to accept from as few as 2 x 40k/65k monthly transfers (for the period since the income changes were announced by the Immigration Bureau in January) instead? Or will the 800k/400k bank balance method now be the strict order of the day at that particular office for retirement and marriage extensions applied for by Americans, Aussies & Brits until at least next July?

It was indicated that my incoming transfers from Transferwise would be sufficient evidence to satisfy the income method. I just showed 3 months’ examples of cross referenced receipts (although I can evidence 12) and the IO said “Yes, you are OK, no problem....”

I will believe it if I get the same reaction in May......

• Thanks 1

Hi all. For what it's worth, I sent a message to Transferwise (quoted below) in an effort to find out more about their method of routing transfers to Thailand. @OJAS Thanks for your post #9. That helped frame the question. The website stated that I would hear back within 2 working days so most likely Monday or Tuesday. I'll update with what I find out.

David

------------

I am an American currently living in Thailand on a retirement visa (though my question would apply to any retiree using your services to transfer funds to Thailand). My income is in the US in the form of Social Security and pension benefits. Recent changes in Thai Immigration visa rules require that we be able to show at least 65,000 Thai baht being deposited in a Thai bank account each month from outside of Thailand. To be acceptable to Thai Immigration, the deposit code for the Thai bank must be something similar to FTT which shows that the deposit originated outside of Thailand. In a discussion about Transferwise, someone pointed out:

"[the Transferwise deposit] will be coded FTT in a Bangkok Bank account passbook if Bangkok Bank also happen to be the agency bank which TW uses at the Thai end in a particular case. However TW also use TMB and Kasikorn as their agency banks - in which cases transfers will be assigned a non-international coding (most likely SMT) in Bangkok Bank passbooks. Since it is entirely in the lap of the gods [Transferwise] as to which of these 3 banks TW choose to use at the Thai end in individual cases, it is, I think, a case of taking the rough with the smooth in using them for monthly 40k/65k transfer purposes."

As you can see, for those of us that need the FTT coding, using Bangkok Bank as the agency bank seems to be the only acceptable option. 

Is there a way to insure the use of Bangkok Bank as the agency bank so that transfers are properly coded to keep Thai Immigration happy? If so, can you inform me of what is necessary? There are many folks that would love to find out.

Thank you

David

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sumrit said:

That's really good news Genericnic, thank you very much for all your effort.

As some of us are still waiting for a response from them, just out of interest, which branch (country) of TW did you contact?

I just submitted the request through the contact form on their webpage.

David

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Thanks David... some useful feedback there.

If they can ensure that all of my payments are routed through Kasikornbank it would be a great help... or is this likely to confuse them..?

Based on the response from Transferwise, I would think that sending the support email with the transfer number and asking it to be tagged for KBank instead of Bangkok Bank would probably work though you might want to check with them first to confirm it.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I am concerned about Buriram not accepting Embassy letters after March 1st.  My extension needs renewing in May so I got my letter in December and intend going next month.  Will Pattaya still accept this?

According to a sheet given to my friend yes, it is still accepted. 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I am concerned about Buriram not accepting Embassy letters after March 1st.  My extension needs renewing in May so I got my letter in December and intend going next month.  Will Pattaya still accept this?

March 1st had nothing to do with the income option.

It was only when the new rules for the 800k baht in the bank or the combination options went into effect,

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

March 1st had nothing to do with the income option.

It was only when the new rules for the 800k baht in the bank or the combination options went into effect,

Thank you Joe/Jacko - I feel much better.

• 2 months later...