Best new 150cc bike for confidence / control/stability/handling ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes indeed A1Str8 - I love my PCX, as do all of my friends that own them. It feels very grown up and full size without being "boaty" (like the Forza). The brakes are great and the "must buy an NMax for the ABS" crew are misguided imho - you really don't need ABS on a scooter and the PCX is a far superior bike to ride. Ride them both and see what you think; each to their own... I have done the Maehongson loop on mine 2up - no problem at all  ????

On 3/4/2019 at 12:31 PM, Briggsy said:

Yamaha Exciter 150. Wide tubeless tyres.

The problem with the Exciter is that it encourages people to ride it like a "proper" bike, that it isn't. Its handling isn't up to the leaning over that it encourages, and there are no properly good tyres available in that wheel size. I also can't buy a bike with a name that makes me think of sex toys!

I recognise that it's out of the size range mentioned, but if you are after more speed and better handling than a scooter then I would suggest a secondhand CB300F as a first "big" bike instead of the scary Exciter. It's a great choice - you can pick one up for close to 50k now and it really is a sweet little bike that when ridden in the upper rev range is quite sporty and will handle being leaned over (with good tyres on it of course), whilst really being a tame little commuter that will serve you well and not scare you...

Yamaha Exciter racing - Thailand.  They seem to do pretty well with the leaning & etc.  There's one video of this series where a guy misses a corner and goes motocross racing.  555.  And another guy just plows into the guy ahead of him right by the finish line, though neither is in the top 5. 

Yamaha Exciter racing - Thailand.  They seem to do pretty well with the leaning & etc.  There's one video of this series where a guy misses a corner and goes motocross racing.  555.  And another guy just plows into the guy ahead of him right by the finish line, though neither is in the top 5. 

[/url]  

I've had an Exciter for a while now, they are a cracking little bike, fun to ride, bought it for 62,000bt new. Nearly 3 years ago.

Ride it over to MIL's home in Utteradit, 280kms, pretty comfortable ride.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A better Exciter race video.  At 25:40 the guy center punches the other rider.  At 15:35 there some funny commentary about gin je and eating vegetables - guess the guy almost ended up in the grass. Can't find the part with the "motocross" after running off the track.  Ain't Moto GP, but it's racing.  Have to start somewhere.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, NCC1701A said:

for what it is worth I put Michelin Pilot Street tires on my Click. Made a HUGE difference in handling.

How much did those tires cost?

47 minutes ago, Tom89 said:

How much did those tires cost?

Checking my records I see the correct name of the tires that fit a Honda click is Michelin City Pro. That is what I have.

I paid 2680 baht for the pair installed in Hua Hin.

sorry for any confusion.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Checking my records I see the correct name of the tires that fit a Honda click is Michelin City Pro. That is what I have.

I paid 2680 baht for the pair installed in Hua Hin.

sorry for any confusion.

No problem. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 8:59 AM, freedomnow said:

Tricity = edgy mobility for the disabled.

Aerox if you like slamming your knees on the front end bodywork blades every time you get on or off.

PCX = still no ABS,  'what the fuuuu...' ?

Nmax FTW.

you must be much taller or heavier (or both) than me because I have lightly touched the bodywork of my Aerox about 3 times with my knees in the 4 months I have used it and I am 191cm (6'3)

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

you must be much taller or heavier (or both) than me because I have lightly touched the bodywork of my Aerox about 3 times with my knees in the 4 months I have used it and I am 191cm (6'3)

I tend to slouch forward, is why I like Nmax...got a few sitting positions on it along with 2 foot rest positions...auto cruiser style vs half way to a racing crouch.

There is now the 150cc Click that is probably lighter than PCX, Nmax or Aerox..., I think it may leave them behind in a drag race... but don't hold me to it until you done the test...! 

The only advantage of a Click will be flat foot floor and maybe lower seat and easy to handle for the Thai wify... , maybe the lower price too.

On 3/7/2019 at 6:22 AM, properperson said:

18 months ago, it was time to change my PCX and i fancied something different....

I'd heard glowing reports about the Aerox - but before jumping in "feet first" - i decided to test ride a few of the options out there....

First was the Tricity - i must say i thought the look was awful - i'd seen a fair few people riding them, coming towards me and they frankly loked idiotic.......So sat on it and it felt bulky and heavy for a scooter...... Rode it for 30 mins - wouldn't buy one if it were half the price....

The salesman asked me what i thought - and i replied " Yamaha have solved a problem that never existed in the first place" ......

And its not as if it's an aid for disabled people - if you get off one and don't put the stand down - it falls over !

So conclusion - it looks awful, rides awful and you look a total numptee when you're riding one....

In the end - Bought an Aerox R  -  Fantastic - Trounces a Tricity in every way ....

You buy a scooter for how you look on it?.... everyone looks a complete numpty on a scooter, any scooter. But I'd agree, perhaps someone would look 'more of a numpty' on a TriCity...

A scooter is one thing - something of convenience and nothing else, they all look rubbish, are generally slow and handle poorly - but especially with under-seat storage they are excellent for nipping around the city, popping to the shops etc... 

No scooter can beat the two front wheels and ABS for stability and emergency breaking, especially in the wet...  So, if you want a bike for confidence / control / stability... the TriCity is the best option out there IMO, others will think differently, but that difference should not be based on looks. 

Front end weight - I give you that... it is heavier, but not significantly so.

If someone wants a bike based on looks / image - then a Vespa is one of the few scooters that cut it, but that depends on the image you are going for, the only other option are 'real' bikes and then that depends what styles you like and then we are a long way off from the ops requirements of a 150cc bike for confidence / control / stability....  There are also the 150cc motorbikes Honda CBR and MSLAZ etc but I got the impression the Op was after a scooter - these are better bikes for riding than a scooter but compromise the storage for being a real bike. 

I am looking to buy an Aerox in the next couple of weeks. For those that have one are there any deals to be had? Saves me asking around every dealer. Or do you have to pay the full list price 65.9k or 75.9k for the ABS model. Is the top model worth an extra 10K?

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

I am looking to buy an Aerox in the next couple of weeks. For those that have one are there any deals to be had? Saves me asking around every dealer. Or do you have to pay the full list price 65.9k or 75.9k for the ABS model. Is the top model worth an extra 10K?

Those with an ego may suggest that you don't need ABS.... but for the mere mortal, when something suddenly pulls out in front of us on a wet and slippy road we are at risk of grabbing a little too much brake you'll be thankful of the ABS, it'll be worth the extra 10k then... 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Those with an ego may suggest that you don't need ABS.... but for the mere mortal, when something suddenly pulls out in front of us on a wet and slippy road we are at risk of grabbing a little too much brake you'll be thankful of the ABS, it'll be worth the extra 10k then... 

I am sure ABS will help in emergencies , no doubt,  specially going straight...

But be very careful if on the bend and if front wheel is not quite straight.

I regularly check my ABS on both wheels on my Forza, in fact the breaks are so powerful it takes very little to lock the wheels and activate ABS. So at 40km/h I slam the breaks occasionally to test it when in a safe location with nobody around. 

On one or two occasions the front wheel wasn't quite straight and even with ABS the front wheel skid a bit, I didn't loose control but it was a sign,  so I can imagine going fast on a bend or when maneuvering to avoid something and wet,  I could be skiding even with ABS...! 

So be careful all the time, ABS isn't the solve-it-all break solution...

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:13 AM, Henryford said:

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Go take another look around the dealers @Henryford. I was in the Yammy showroom in Sakon Nakhon yesterday and noted a 'standard model' Aerox with ABS fiited. It was priced at 66k. I also spotted a Lexi (direct rival to the Click) also sporting ABS.

I'm guessing we may see more machines being so equipped as new models are released. Come on Honda, Yamaha are stealing a march on you.

I certainly agree with the comments above regarding the greater safety aspect of ABS and it will be an important factor in my next purchase, coming up soon.

Archived