Best new 150cc bike for confidence / control/stability/handling ?

And a couple of adds...  The PCX seat has a bit of a forward slope that gets uncomfortable to me because ti causes your shorts to ride up and strangle "the boys".  Also the PCX geometry rides to me more like a chopper.  The front end feels way out there and vague.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, NCC1701A said:

for what it is worth I put Michelin Pilot Street tires on my Click. Made a HUGE difference in handling. 

I never quite understand when people talk about degrees of handling on a step through scooter. I guess 99% of people use it to run to 7/11 and back not the Dakar Rally. I have had most of the small scooters and never noticed any difference in "handling".

PS i had the NMAX, great bike, much better than your average scooter.

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I never quite understand when people talk about degrees of handling on a step through scooter. I guess 99% of people use it to run to 7/11 and back not the Dakar Rally. I have had most of the small scooters and never noticed any difference in "handling".

did you have a Click and change out the stock shit tires for Michelins? A huge different in handling. and traction. 

I guess crazy falang riders need better handling as they take more risks

20 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Not this old argument again ...

If they are so superior - pray tell why we do not see more of them ?

Butt Fugly ? Man here has one, been for sale for a donkeys years, no takers.

My thought - a solution looking for a problem.

If 2 front wheels was so superior - why don't race bikes use them ?

Answer - because they are not. Cheap imitation of a Piaggo.

The Op asked for Opinions, I provided one which you don’t agree with - Fair enough. 

The Yamaha 155cc ABS model is 98,500 baht - that’s why they are not so popular... Additionally, they are not conventional and Thai’s tend not to make unconventional choices. 

Bikes like the Yamaha Tricity & Piaggo with dual fronts are far more popular in Europe. 

Piaggo is more expensive and has higher import taxes here. 

Your comment on looks are completely pointless - you don’t like the look if it, I do - personal differences irrelevant to the Op who could make his own choice by ‘looking at it’ !

By the way: I had one - loved it but ultimately sold it for a bigger bike (300cc) and it didn’t take ‘donkeys years’ to sell it, so again your point is moot. 

If I sell my current 300cc bike and get the 850cc I’d then need another bike for nipping around the city, in which case I wouldn’t hesitate and get another TriCity 155cc ABS - its a no brainier for me.

Why don’t race bikes use 2 front tires? Dumb question comparing a scooter with a race bike !!!.... Lean angle and weight: the dual front wheels could never lean over to 60 degrees, and why would they need to on a scooter? Plus the tires are not soft sticky slick... again - the point is daft.

32 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The one important part of handling I would want on a scooter is stopping... 

A new rider (I think the Op is new) hitting the brakes in an emergency without skidding the wheels, especially the front and dropping your bike.

- Op: ensure you have ABS.

- Op: Think about upgrading your tires

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d then need another bike for nipping around the city, in which case I wouldn’t hesitate and get another TriCity 155cc ABS - its a no brainier for me.

I was under the impression the whole point of travelling fast from point A to point B in a city was with the aid of "filtering".

You can only filter properly & efficiently with 2 wheels.

6 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I was under the impression the whole point of travelling fast from point A to point B in a city was with the aid of "filtering".

You can only filter properly & efficiently with 2 wheels.

That’s quite odd... 

There is no difference between riding through, splitting lanes or lane filtering between a TriCity and any other scooter... The wheels are not wider than the handlebars (the wheels are about 1ft apart).

I’m not sure why you would think queued traffic cannot be split on the TriCity? 

Do you have a misconception of what the TriCity is? - it rides just like a normal scooter.

That’s quite odd... 

There is no difference between riding through, splitting lanes or lane filtering between a TriCity and any other scooter... The wheels are not wider than the handlebars (the wheels are about 1ft apart).

Do you have a misconception of what the TriCity is? - it rides just like a normal scooter.
is that the one that looks like a mobility scooter?

Daft ? Lame ?

I had one for a week. Found it clumsy, heavy, no difference in stopping power to a 2 wheel scooter. Unless U are a NOOB.

You like it - fine. Some people do not get Fugly.

As said - a solution looking for a problem.

Piaggo is 350 and 500cc - so a completely different bike than a 155 TriCity.

Verdict

I think there are better ‘bikes’ out there. It still doesn’t corner enough like a two-wheeler to tempt me over to the other side but, as a big, comfy, clean and fun mode of transport, for somebody who has never experienced the thrill of hooning a quick bike on its ear through some fast sweeping corners, it’ll seem like the best thing since sliced baguette.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/piaggio/piaggio-mp3-350-and-500-2018-review

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
That’s quite odd... 

is that the one that looks like a mobility scooter?

I prefer Pizza Delivery Vehicle....  Its certainly not a conventional look...

Here is one I saw advertised on Facebook...  more ‘Bat-Bike’ than Mobility Scooter... 

I guess the two front wheels aren’t for some - but they certainly gave me confidence when I was nipping around on a TriCity, especially as a new rider. 

EEA1CF5C-C366-4FE4-AAD0-4CCB644A2D4F.jpeg

9FFBA421-8B3D-4259-8E98-9894A6E6AED8.jpeg

Here is one I saw advertised on Facebook...  more ‘Bat-Bike’ than Mobility Scooter... 

I guess the two front wheels aren’t for some - but they certainly gave me confidence when I was nipping around on a TriCity, especially as a new rider. 

EEA1CF5C-C366-4FE4-AAD0-4CCB644A2D4F.jpeg.076bdbd2d95d2b5652668f5b30a5c6f6.jpeg
9FFBA421-8B3D-4259-8E98-9894A6E6AED8.jpeg.d293bb90a8acc7b36d6c655039bffb43.jpeg
People often mistakenly think bikes are unstable but they are very stable when riding, only if you have a heavy bike or a passenger do they get a little unstable at low speed

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

People often mistakenly think bikes are unstable but they are very stable when riding, only if you have a heavy bike or a passenger do they get a little unstable at low speed

Confidence in stopping, particularly with ABS...  I’m not sure the two front wheels offered any improvement in stability compared to any other scooter. 

Tests show that it does have better stopping power and is more stable under heavy braking. 

Real time expereince of one poster (above) pointed out that its clumsy and heavy and has no improvement on stopping power (unless you are a noob) - his personal opinion on a bike he doesn’t like and finds Fugly. 

Anyway - I’m not here to debate whether the Tricity is better or more stable than any other scooter as I have not ridden or lived with enough other scooters on a day to day basis to make a balanced, truthful and unbiased comparison.

What I can offer is that having owned a TriCity, I would likely choose one again for its practicality and safety. OR, if I wanted style over function I’d perhaps choose a vesper for its ‘cool factor’... 

19 hours ago, just bob said:

I'll chime in... Rented a Click 125 for ten months.  Nice, agile, easy.  Not nice; wobbly at speed, crap suspension due to light weight.  Bought an Aerox year and a half ago when they first came out.  Yes the Imax has more driver space but it also has 13" instead of the Aerox's 14" wheels.  And that makes all the difference in handling and stability.  It drives more like a proper motorcycle instead of a scooter.

I was concerned with maneuverability.  The Areox is only 3 mm wider than a Click at the bars and I can snake to the front of the traffic light queue as easily as the Click could.  No issue there.

I put on Pirelli Rosso Corsa dual compound tires immediately.  The stock IRC are slippy hard and over rounded.  The Pirellis have a sharper profile that makes steering snappier and allows more lean angle for both safer and faster turns.l

Motor wise, the Aerox and Imax are way better than the dated two valve PCX.  Four valves with variable cam activation provide both more power and economy.  The functrion of the generator and the starter have been combined therefby saving weight.  Its just better engineering.

I feel qualified to opine here because that is me in my profile pic.

Got the Aerox 155 quite happy with it, still got the stock tires. I love the fact that is fuel injection (last bike i had was not and had starting problems). I love the luggage size of the aerox and that is 155 cc is nice.. gives it some power. I did put PCX mirrors on it for better vision.

That’s quite odd... 

Disagree.

Put me on a clapped out 110cc carb'd Wave in heavy city traffic and you on a brand new 155cc TricityThingy with FI, ABS and no gears and i guarantee i'll beat you comfortably.

There is no difference between riding through,

lane filtering between a TriCity and any other scooter...

Rubbish.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Disagree.

Put me on a clapped out 110cc carb'd Wave in heavy city traffic and you on a brand new 155cc TricityThingy with FI, ABS and no gears and i guarantee i'll beat you comfortably.

Rubbish.

Hmm..... the 'mine is bigger than yours' comment.... 

I agree... I also guarantee you'll be beat me on anything you chose to ride in the city or on a road anywhere.

I'm not in a race, I'm not riding to beat the next bike or be faster than someone else. 

And whether or not you beat me through traffic has no meaningful bearing on the safety, stability of a bike etc.. it simply reflects the additional speed you are prepared to take when splitting traffic. I'm quite a cautious rider. 

I'm riding a bike because it can get through traffic Jams and I also enjoy it.

Anyone can twist a throttle and take chances (I'm not saying you do.... but the 'I can beat you' comment is a little juvenile.... you can beat me, because I have no interest in trying to beat you !)

The Op wanted the best bike for stability and control - I guess he means the safest bike in traffic (control, stability, handling) otherwise people would be suggesting the MSLAZ 150cc or the CBR 150cc.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rubbish.

thaiguzzi... have you ridden a Tricity?...   

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would'nt be seen dead on one.

I understand 3 wheeler trikes from a disabled point of view, that's it.

Nothing else.

Sorry.

Sidecars - which is not within the scope of this topic - completely different kettle of fish - now you are talking!

I like my Supercub with its 'natural' ABS due to it's drum brakes, and as I've ridden large bikes in my home country for centuries, I didn't like full auto or the idea of an engine sitting on the swingarm.  But these are not really valid reasons as modern scooters are great in traffic.

I've tried some scooters by borrowing friends bikes ...

Fino - surprisingly good, agile in traffic, decent brakes, but felt tiny and looks way too girly.

PCX - nippy, quality feel, but strange low bars and seat not comfortable for me.

Aerox - nippier, solid feel like a proper bike, decent if firm ride from larger wheels and sporty suspension, but sharp, pointed bodywork hits my knees.

Nmax - more scooter-like than the Aerox, no pointy bodywork impaling my knees, and ABS is a good safety aids on wet, dusty city streets.  But small wheels not ideal on very poor roads.

Wave 125 - much better brakes than the 110 Supercub, punchier, taller gearing, rides like a real bike (because it is), but no luggage space under seat and looks like a motorcycle taxi .... but really is the best option in Thailand.

Honda Monkey - most fun I've had on two wheels for years, but for commuting, no weather/dirt protection.

Supercub c125 - a posh toy, no rear footpegs for passenger, looks and feels smaller than a 125 Wave for some reason.

Would like to try a Vespa, but those wheels look tiny, and would really like to try a Tricity just to see what's its like on the terrible Bangkok roads - the Niken has started to change people's views of leaning 3 wheelers, and I see the Tricity as a baby Niken for commuting.

Hi guys, Im not a new rider btw and I dont want to go the 3 wheeler route. Have to say the Yamaha Aerox 155 looks up my street. How does thing compare to PCX / NMax regarding priorities required? Interesting that other people find the handling of the Wave so good to.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:03 AM, Kinnock said:

Wave 125 - much better brakes than the 110 Supercub, punchier, taller gearing, rides like a real bike (because it is), but no luggage space under seat and looks like a motorcycle taxi .... but really is the best option in Thailand.

I owned 2 different new Wave 125s (2014 and 2016 I think) and they had storage big enough to store my motocross style helmet, is that not the case anymore?

also, how tall are you? because I was planning to buy an Aerox but I am 191cm and that comment about hitting knees hmm

I used to run a PCX 150 for a bit and maybe it's because the seat is much less slanted and I could sit back but haven't been close to hitting anything.

image.png.aab2f10859a2d4733cead7a601fad078.png

2 hours ago, kekalot said:

I owned 2 different new Wave 125s (2014 and 2016 I think) and they had storage big enough to store my motocross style helmet, is that not the case anymore?

also, how tall are you? because I was planning to buy an Aerox but I am 191cm and that comment about hitting knees hmm

I used to run a PCX 150 for a bit and maybe it's because the seat is much less slanted and I could sit back but haven't been close to hitting anything.

Ah - my mistake about storage, I was thinking of the Supercub C125 seat.  I only rode the 125 Wave for a few Km, but was impressed as it's a big improvement over my 110 Supercub.  But I don't like all the stickers and prefer the classic Cub/Dream looks.

I'm 185cm and when getting on and off the Aerox my knees hit the fairing.  No problem with the Nmax, but I preferred the looks and handling on the Aerox.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

18 months ago, it was time to change my PCX and i fancied something different....

I'd heard glowing reports about the Aerox - but before jumping in "feet first" - i decided to test ride a few of the options out there....

First was the Tricity - i must say i thought the look was awful - i'd seen a fair few people riding them, coming towards me and they frankly loked idiotic.......So sat on it and it felt bulky and heavy for a scooter...... Rode it for 30 mins - wouldn't buy one if it were half the price....

The salesman asked me what i thought - and i replied " Yamaha have solved a problem that never existed in the first place" ......

And its not as if it's an aid for disabled people - if you get off one and don't put the stand down - it falls over !

So conclusion - it looks awful, rides awful and you look a total numptee when you're riding one....

In the end - Bought an Aerox R  -  Fantastic - Trounces a Tricity in every way ....

On 3/2/2019 at 3:56 PM, david555 said:

Can you be clear about the average size Thai guy in cm ? , as I look around they don't look mini size  anymore …! Or maybe my 180 cm is modest this times  :biggrin:, as I am also interested in a Aerox ,

Thanks

Hi,

I have owned a Yamaha Aerox 155 for the past year. I am 179cm and find it big enough.

Have ridden it for up to 4 hours at a time at speeds of 70 to 100 kph to keep pace with traffic. It felt best at about 90 kph I thought.

I like it's big wheels and I got the ABS version. I like the auto off / restart at the lights as well. There is no delay at all.

I was lucky to meet guys with an Aerox, as well as the Honda Forza 300, so I rode both. For around town the Aerox is better.

I upgraded the front forks with a valve kit from Set by Sar in Bangkok and believe that Yamaha is giving me better rear shocks very soon.

At that point the suspension will be perfect for my weight.

I did ride a PCX too but didn't like how it steered but otherwise it was okay. Just love my Aerox.

I did buy a custom centre hook from Set by Sar too. Much better than genuine I think but because of the design of the bike far from perfect. Still it is enough.

But a bike is like a woman and you have to find the right one for you.

I just bought an ABS Aerox yesterday.

I asked on the forums and was told it was a total "no go" for tall riders but.. I'm 191cm and barely touched my knee on the left side box once when i hit the break a little hard and the pinion lady pushed me up the seat.

some other guy about my height said when he gets on he sometimes hit his knees on fairings but.. I am tall enough to be able to put my leg over the whole bike from the back haha

love the auto off as well.. was a bit confused with how the button for keyless was (have to press it and wait a bit for key to be scanned before doing anything)

was in a hurry to drive it back from Bangkok so it seemed like a rough ride with passenger.. but rode it normal speeds last night alone and it's really normal.

have driven PCX, Wave, Exciter, M-Slaz and the other smaller ones and prefer Aerox.

never tried Forza or NMax but those look like battle tanks compared to Aerox.

tomorrow going to Yamaha dealership to get me a cover and check for what they have for options out of curiosity then a proper wash since I rode it hard yesterday from Bangkok was on hurry to get back home before dinner. haha

Archived