Russians, Chinese lead foreign arrivals to Thailand

rooster59

Russians, Chinese lead foreign arrivals to Thailand 

By Anton Makhrov

1551425512_1-org.jpg

Russia kept its status as the most important market among non-Asian countries with 229,518 arrivals in January (+1.2% y-o-y) and B17.3bn in generated revenue. Photo: Miguel Discart / Flickr

PHUKET: Continuing resurgence in Chinese visitor arrivals in January helped Thailand start 2019 with a total of 3.7 million arrivals during the first month of the year, an increase of 4.8% year-one year, generating tourism expenditure of over B195.8 billion (+2.4% y-o-y), the Ministry of Tourism and Sport (MoTS) has announced.

Mainland China remained the leading tourist source market with over 1.06mn arrivals registered in January, representing 9.3% growth against January 2018 and 19.2% growth against the previous month.

The Chinese arrivals generated tourism revenue of more than B55.8bn during the month, an increase of  4.7% year-on-year and an impressive 25.9% month-by-month.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/russians-chinese-lead-foreign-arrivals-to-thailand-70558.php#AQT32AkOH3DRrx4p.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-03-02

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

I think Thailand is desperate to shed its image as a prostitution-riddled country. The Russians and Chinese are not into the whores. There may be a decrease in spending on prostitutes, but there will never be a reduction in the number of prostitutes. Thailand is full of them. 

how can any governmental body "reduce prostitution"? they are absolutely not interested in harsh measures, which would reduce their "cut". By the way: the country is not riddled with prostitutes, the lasses are beneficial to the economy and national health (without them, 90% of all Thai males would permanently blow their fuses...)

• Like 2

Not just Thailand, I am in Nha Trang Vietnam, lovely wide clean beach, no litter to be seen. No jetskis or boats on the 5km long pristine beach, which has a beautiful treed park along its whole length.....but its like being in Jomtien, Russians everywhere, signs, menus, travel agencies all geared to the Russian visitors. Mostly I see couples, and families here so they seem to have achieved what Thailand is aiming for. 

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There were two Russians sitting outside one of my Pattaya businesses yesterday when I arrived to check doing the rounds. They were seated in an outside area normally reserved for staff.

The female one was swigging a can of Tiger Beer and was visibly drunk.

The male other was charging his phone for free using the socket outside our shop. His BO was so bad it was making my Thai staff gag.

I asked both to leave immediately. 

How positively Tolstoyan!

I think that Napoleon said the very same thing to Count Pierre Bezuhov...

There was 137 million bottles of vodka to go at that stage...????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There were two Russians sitting outside one of my Pattaya businesses yesterday when I arrived to check doing the rounds. They were seated in an outside area normally reserved for staff.

The female one was swigging a can of Tiger Beer and was visibly drunk.

The male other was charging his phone for free using the socket outside our shop. His BO was so bad it was making my Thai staff gag.

I asked both to leave immediately. 

I heard there was to be a big push to attractify quality foreign tourists.

Is this them?

Edited by MisterPenguin
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

" Russia kept its status as the most important market among non-Asian countries ..."

Take a look at a map.  77% of Russia land mass is in Asia. You can google that if you need confirmation.

They meant non-Asian as non-white .... never regarded Russian as Asian at all...