How best to withdraw cash from an ATM

16 minutes ago, johng said:

I've done it with debit card before and specifically said I can't remember which bank it was that don't charge a fee for doing "over the counter withdrawal"

Also I understand that its the Thai banking association that sets the ATM fee regardless of whether its a AMEX,VISA,MASTERCARD,card however I bow to your superior wisdom and will stop advice forthwith.

It's not a particular bank. You might get lucky with a particular branch letting you do it with a debit card or even a particular card(Starling Bank debit), but in general they will refuse. Credit cards are generally accepted.

You just made up the bit about AmEx....

Edited by KneeDeep

10 minutes ago, msmoby said:

Dear Knee deep

Barclays charge a minimum of £2.99 or 2.99 percent..whichever is greater AND there is still a fee charged at the ATM....The cheapest soln. was the travelcard

iF you had taken the fime to READ, hou would have understood my frustration with scorecard was the suggestion of no other means to get cash....?!

Nope...you are wrong and I am very rarely wrong. So think twice before you contradict me again. I have shown clearly (with figures) as to why the Cash Passport is a very bad idea.

Now back to Barclaycard details;

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/platinum-travel-credit-card

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-plus

No charges until September 2022 and September 2023 respectively.

Don't accuse others of not reading when you clear miss a trick or two yourself.

I guess the OP will put an apology in the post.????

If your beloved has a standard Barclaycard CC now, then even that over the counter would be MUCH better than the ridiculous Cash Passport. 

VISA rate for today is 41.53320. Subtract the 2.99% Barclaycard charge and you are left with 40.287204 baht to the Pound. So better than the Cash Passport exchange rate and of course no 64 baht ATM withdrawal charge to boot.

This is why you needed to pay attention to simple maths in class.

Putting all that aside, perhaps it's best to tell us exactly which cards she has at the moment and we will tell you how to proceed.

Bin the Cash Passport once depleted. It really is just a load of old rubbish.

28 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I guess the OP will put an apology in the post.????

If your beloved has a standard Barclaycard CC now, then even that over the counter would be MUCH better than the ridiculous Cash Passport. 

VISA rate for today is 41.53320. Subtract the 2.99% Barclaycard charge and you are left with 40.287204 baht to the Pound. So better than the Cash Passport exchange rate and of course no 64 baht ATM withdrawal charge to boot.

This is why you needed to pay attention to simple maths in class.

Putting all that aside, perhaps it's best to tell us exactly which cards she has at the moment and we will tell you how to proceed.

Bin the Cash Passport once depleted. It really is just a load of old rubbish.

Ok

So again, I am grateful for the responses but this 'wrong' poster was paying no exchange fees and a flat 64 Bhat on the dedicated travel card It was accepted as a local card if used in the appropriate partner bank..in this case Siam.

Kneedeep would be better off asking questions before making incorrect and misleading statements.. Our circumstances are not the same.

My beloved is not  UK  resident ..nor am I ..we live in another EU nation. None of her cards have such generous terms, sadly. 

She is 'not allowed' a Platinum card.

I think kneedeep was trying to be hellpful,  but might have got a mite carried away. 

Edited by msmoby

5 minutes ago, msmoby said:

Ok

So again, I am grateful for the responses but this 'wrong' poster was paying no exchange fees and a flat 64 Bhat on the dedicated travel card It was accepted as a local card if used in the appropriate partner bank..in this case Siam.

Kneedeep would be better off asking questions before making incorrect and misleading statements.. Our circumstances are not the same.

My beloved is not  UK  resident ..nor am I ..we live in another EU nation. None of her cards have such generous terms, sadly. 

She is 'not allowed' a Platinum card.

I think kneedeep was trying to be hellpful,  but might have got a mite carried away. 

I think you are the only one getting carried away here.

If you think that you were paying exchange rate fees, then you are somewhat confused. There is no Cash Passport that allows you to load Thai Baht directly, so cut the BS.

You already told us that you paid exchange rate fees. remember?

It was a good way of drawing cash as *I* loaded it ( currency conversion in UK)

I don't need to ask questions. You are asking for our help, so you should provide full info or just forget about it.

I gave the Platinum Travel/Cashback Plus cards as an example of fee free cards. It was you who replied with Barclaycard charging 2.99%, when I was clearly referring to those two cards that do not.

If you are from an EU nation, why are you utilising a UK card nd if you can utilise UK cards, then why are you choosing to utilise such a crap one when there are better options?

Enough questions for you?

7 minutes ago, msmoby said:

Cards in possesion

Ru credit cards drawn on VTB , Sber and Russian Standard..   Debit cards on VTB and Sber bank.

Plus a Paypal debit card attached to a GBP balance.

Get her a better prepaid card or a debit card that cannot be overdrawn. Cash passport is poor.

It's just irritating that you write EU country. Is it a secret as to which actual country?

So come up with accurate info in the first instance and you will get accurate replies.

https://www.n26.com/en-eu/

Services and Fees for everyone who registers with an address in Belgium, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Poland, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Here is an example of a debit card that doesn't charge that one can obtain. But you'll need a UK address to which to send the card initially.

https://loot.io

Opening a Loot account is simple and effortless.

To open an account, you don't need to be in the UK or have a UK phone number, just a UK address for us to send your card to for when you get here - this can be your school or work place, whatever is most convenient for you. 

Once you're in the UK, your card just needs to be activated using the app.

So if you have friends in the UK or you are visiting, you can get one. No charges at all and two no charge withdrawals per month.

Full Mastercard rate minus 220 baht(AEON charges less) is still better than anything you have currently.

was OP's 'travelcard, an actual Travelex/CashPassport?   There other sources of similar. For example in Australia, even QANTAS has there own travelcard, under the Mastercard banner.

From my earlier Post, it would be seen that under most circumstances the Cash Passport would be better just serving as a means of Emergency Funds... and only use for Purchases, not WDLs. 

For @KneeDeep the Cash Passport, from baout 6 months ago, introduced Thai Baht as one of theirer latest additions to currencies that can be selected as the Default Currency; which means it can be loaded into directly from the allocated Bank Transfers Account, as Thai baht from the beginning. 

the seemingly weak point being spoken of is the Exchange Rate...   the best way around this is to plan TopUps well in advance (by watching the Exchange Rate trends over a many many months period prior to travel.

If one is lucky, and pick a most favourable rate, that rate is locked in. Locked in until the next TopUp, that is... 

Another down side is if the cash passport hasn't been used for the past 4 months - when a Non-usage fee gets deducted out of the default currency. It's not that much! - just AU$4 in my case.

I have 7 different currencies (not all actively used but some sitting idle) in the list on my card;

- so calender in a regular series of 'access'...

This can be in the forms of; Purchase/Expenditure/Transfers/TopUps. Even the most minor of Transaction will keep the Non-use fee at bay; as simple as TFRing say $10 singapore, into the equivalent $ in my Canadian wallet... or whatever currencies one might have.

By playing with the those background currencies, the TopUp set Rates of your main currencies are not affected.

If you get bored, you can even play the Exch Rate Flutter Game between currencies... TFRing some out of a Wallet that is peaking, into another Wallet representing a currency who's rate is on the bottom of a wane...

then holding it there until itself rises sufficently against a different wallet that has since fallen further.

When relative Currenciy's Rates Fall, there is only one other way - Up! 

We are again in LOS by the end of the month. At the moment the CashPassport rate is approx AU1/ThB20.5  so right now is NOT a good time to TopUp and be Locked into a bad Rate.  It is possible this next trip I may not even use the CashPassport? or even do any TopUp to ThB.

But, being totally online, and accessible anywhere in the world; I will the daily monitor the Rates (which takes less than a day to transfer into the Target Wallet

16 minutes ago, tifino said:

was OP's 'travelcard, an actual Travelex/CashPassport?   There other sources of similar. For example in Australia, even QANTAS has there own travelcard, under the Mastercard banner.

From my earlier Post, it would be seen that under most circumstances the Cash Passport would be better just serving as a means of Emergency Funds... and only use for Purchases, not WDLs. 

For @KneeDeep the Cash Passport, from baout 6 months ago, introduced Thai Baht as one of theirer latest additions to currencies that can be selected as the Default Currency; which means it can be loaded into directly from the allocated Bank Transfers Account, as Thai baht from the beginning. 

the seemingly weak point being spoken of is the Exchange Rate...   the best way around this is to plan TopUps well in advance (by watching the Exchange Rate trends over a many many months period prior to travel.

If one is lucky, and pick a most favourable rate, that rate is locked in. Locked in until the next TopUp, that is... 

Another down side is if the cash passport hasn't been used for the past 4 months - when a Non-usage fee gets deducted out of the default currency. It's not that much! - just AU$4 in my case.

I have 7 different currencies (not all actively used but some sitting idle) in the list on my card;

- so calender in a regular series of 'access'...

This can be in the forms of; Purchase/Expenditure/Transfers/TopUps. Even the most minor of Transaction will keep the Non-use fee at bay; as simple as TFRing say $10 singapore, into the equivalent $ in my Canadian wallet... or whatever currencies one might have.

By playing with the those background currencies, the TopUp set Rates of your main currencies are not affected.

If you get bored, you can even play the Exch Rate Flutter Game between currencies... TFRing some out of a Wallet that is peaking, into another Wallet representing a currency who's rate is on the bottom of a wane...

then holding it there until itself rises sufficently against a different wallet that has since fallen further.

When relative Currenciy's Rates Fall, there is only one other way - Up! 

We are again in LOS by the end of the month. At the moment the CashPassport rate is approx AU1/ThB20.5  so right now is NOT a good time to TopUp and be Locked into a bad Rate.  It is possible this next trip I may not even use the CashPassport? or even do any TopUp to ThB.

But, being totally online, and accessible anywhere in the world; I will the daily monitor the Rates (which takes less than a day to transfer into the Target Wallet

You missed;

My beloved left her UK based travel card

and

Hence it was stopped and new one ordered from UK

So Australia has nothing to do with the OP's case.

But once again, forget about the locking in of rates. Cash Passport in any country is crap.

Just get a fee free card in the first place.

Let's look at an average example;

Let's take a credit card, say the Bankwest Zero Platinum Mastercard CC. It charges 2% for cash advances.

So withdraw over the counter using the credit card and you get a rate of 22 baht(actually 21.99) to the AUD even after the 2% fee. Whereas as you state, the Cash Passport offers 20.5 and it will cost you extra to withdraw cash in Thailand from the ATM.

So it is very poor. Do not convince yourself otherwise.

Cover the cash advance with an immediate bank transfer to prevent any interest charges.

Simple but effective.

Edited by KneeDeep

2 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

You missed;

and

So Australia has nothing to do with the OP's case.

But once again, forget about the locking in of rates. Cash Passport in any country is crap.

Just get a fee free card in th first place.

i may be Posting from Aust; but a TravelCard=CashPassport=Travelex, no matter where it comes from... 

By detailing the CashPassport scenario, and how to respect it; was in reaction to earlier comparisons between CreditCards, and DebitCards (which the Travel etc etc cards are too) 

Anyone transacting with Debitcards, means they actually have the money!   - as has already been said in someone else's Post.

Using a CreditCard (unless it has been totally paid up, owing nothing... and even better if it has been overFilled to avoid future Credit Charges; needs to be otherwise watched carefully for when using it to extract funds into cash at the ATM. 

Some Banks, from various countries are better/ or worse than others...

- hopefully OP's available local banks do not Charge 21% upfront Credit WDL fees ( as a typical hypothetical % example that might exist in one country or another)

18 minutes ago, tifino said:

i may be Posting from Aust; but a TravelCard=CashPassport=Travelex, no matter where it comes from... 

By detailing the CashPassport scenario, and how to respect it; was in reaction to earlier comparisons between CreditCards, and DebitCards (which the Travel etc etc cards are too) 

Anyone transacting with Debitcards, means they actually have the money!   - as has already been said in someone else's Post.

Using a CreditCard (unless it has been totally paid up, owing nothing... and even better if it has been overFilled to avoid future Credit Charges; needs to be otherwise watched carefully for when using it to extract funds into cash at the ATM. 

Some Banks, from various countries are better/ or worse than others...

- hopefully OP's available local banks do not Charge 21% upfront Credit WDL fees ( as a typical hypothetical % example that might exist in one country or another)

I don't have any idea as to what it is that you are trying to tell.

Cash Passport should be respected by throwing it in the bin. You don't seem to be getting that.

Credit cards  need to be watched carefully? Why? What are you talking about?

No one should be borrowing from a credit card under normal circumstances and it has been shown that taking cash advances with a CC over the counter is one of the best ways of obtaining Thai baht.

You cannot utilise a debit card over the bank counter in most instances.

Once again.... Cash Passport in ANY country...NO! You also failed to mention it's 80 baht ATM withdrawal charge. Goodness knows if more is charged at the ATM itself. Terrible card.

Just for you; https://www.bankwest.com.au/personal/bank/credit-cards/lp/no-annual-fee/zero-platinum

????

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I don't have any idea as to what it is that you are trying to tell.

Cash Passport should be respected by throwing it in the bin. You don't seem to be getting that.

Credit cards  need to be watched carefully? Why? What are you talking about?

No one should be borrowing from a credit card under normal circumstances and it has been shown that taking cash advances with a CC over the counter is one of the best ways of obtaining Thai baht.

You cannot utilise a debit card over the bank counter in most instances.

Once again.... Cash Passport in ANY country...NO! You also failed to mention it's 80 baht ATM withdrawal charge. Goodness knows if more is charged at the ATM itself. Terrible card.

Just for you; https://www.bankwest.com.au/personal/bank/credit-cards/lp/no-annual-fee/zero-platinum

????

well, we are already in agreeance that a CashPassport etc etc shouldn't be the one that one relies upon for all their ATM WDLs.

I'd already much earlier already stated both the 220thb & 80thb fees do apply, at the time of the ATM WDL.

If one has Funds in that CashPassport, and instead of ATM'ing it,

instead wants to extract it online:

- to Transfer over to another, say his CreditCard; that Withdrawal from the Bank Account itself is the equivalent of thb205. 

Anyhows,  anyone considering an ATM WDL from a CashPassport etc; would have to accept there is the equivalent of approx 300thb, per WDL. 

This is why the CashPassport etc should really only ever be used for direct Purchases, not Withdrawals; unless as an Emergency source of funds.

Credit cards are by capitas the largest source of personal debt -  just that some cards are easier to pay off than others, depending on what sort of Fee Free/Interest Free periods etc apply to respective banks' CCards. 

Many of those Credit card Fee/Interest free agreements are Limited Life though...   

Anyhows, it has probably been a good thing that OP's wife forget to bring it along...  

I'll still take mine along - as it is my 'petrol' card, and Tesco Lotus etc purchases...

a CashPassport can have up to 11 currencies loaded, and is also a way of being able to bring in the (current rate) Cash equivalent of 2,050,000thb into the country! if you filled it to the max!   - a way of bringing in currency without needs to Declare!

If one does require ATM WDLs, he'd have to factor the max WDL per day is 60,000thb (but also that individual bank ATMs have their own lower limits per transaction) - which is where the 300thb per transaction problem has to be carefully treaded...

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

well, we are already in agreeance that a CashPassport etc etc shouldn't be the one that one relies upon for all their ATM WDLs.

I'd already much earlier already stated both the 220thb & 80thb fees do apply, at the time of the ATM WDL.

If one has Funds in that CashPassport, and instead of ATM'ing it,

instead wants to extract it online:

- to Transfer over to another, say his CreditCard; that Withdrawal from the Bank Account itself is the equivalent of thb205. 

Anyhows,  anyone considering an ATM WDL from a CashPassport etc; would have to accept there is the equivalent of approx 300thb, per WDL. 

This is why the CashPassport etc should really only ever be used for direct Purchases, not Withdrawals; unless as an Emergency source of funds.

Credit cards are by capitas the largest source of personal debt -  just that some cards are easier to pay off than others, depending on what sort of Fee Free/Interest Free periods etc apply to respective banks' CCards. 

Many of those Credit card Fee/Interest free agreements are Limited Life though...   

Anyhows, it has probably been a good thing that OP's wife forget to bring it along...  

I'll still take mine along - as it is my 'petrol' card, and Tesco Lotus etc purchases...

a CashPassport can have up to 11 currencies loaded, and is also a way of being able to bring in the (current rate) Cash equivalent of 2,050,000thb into the country! if you filled it to the max!   - a way of bringing in currency without needs to Declare!

If one does require ATM WDLs, he'd have to factor the max WDL per day is 60,000thb (but also that individual bank ATMs have their own lower limits per transaction) - which is where the 300thb per transaction problem has to be carefully treaded...

Why on earth are you still banging on about Cash Passport? They are just very poor value. In every way.

Not for an emergency. Not for anything. Just put it in the bin.

As for CCs, you aren't using them to borrow money, but just as a means to an end, to get cash advances over a bank counter. So no ATMs necessary in the first place. So no treading carefully over 300 baht or whatever it is that you are going on about. ????

Maybe it is me but confused as to the post?   If her card got swallowed and she is waiting for a replacement how is it she can withdraw from an ATM cash getting nicked for the 220 and lousy exchange rate or walking into a bank and requesting amount with the card?

If she doesn't have a Thai account then using Transferwise would be useless?  One might wire her Western Union a lump sum to cover her stay?

If she does have a card might want to look for an Aeon ATM, Japanese lending institution the fee is only 150 up to 20,000 and they give you a fair rate.

If she gets her new card and can't locate an Aeon, and need to use one of the Thai ATM getting around the 220 is impossible unless you have an institution that reimburses you later like Charles Schwab. 

Pass this on to her regarding the Thai ATM,  there are some cards like my Credit Union when one insert the card in and request her amount they will ask you if you accept the charge of 220, she pushes yes, thereafter if the screen shows a total breakdown of what she is going to pay for the transaction this will include, the fee 220 the amount she requested and the exchange rate that is being given etc etc, in the end, MAKE SURE SHE KNOWS NOT TO PUSH YES!  the exchange rate being offered by the Thai banks on the screen is much less than being offered in the International market pushing NO will revert the rate to the International. 

Double dip!  for example, if the International rate in pound is 41.50 the rate on the screen by the Thai bank might show 40.00 if she pushes NO will in general get her 41.00!  This is the kind of a rip off from the Thai banks, my Credit Union card, when used with Aeon, doesn't try to rip you off by double dipping.

Hope that help a bit?

Edited by thailand49

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

Have you looked into Western Union or Moneygram? I've used them and the fees are no more than a bank transfer and the money is available minutes after you send it.

Unfortunately you aren't quite right on this occasion.

If you were sending from Western Union to a bank, the cost is reasonable. But the lady does not have a bank account as far as we know.

So it would be cash. This isn't good value and should be for emergencies only.

1.png.8f1aee69890d356b61cda86b0863724b.png2.png.8ed9cd23d3f8b64edf55ef83f776b694.png

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Maybe it is me but confused as to the post?   If her card got swallowed and she is waiting for a replacement how is it she can withdraw from an ATM cash getting nicked for the 220 and lousy exchange rate or walking into a bank and requesting amount with the card?

If she doesn't have a Thai account then using Transferwise would be useless?  One might wire her Western Union a lump sum to cover her stay?

If she does have a card might want to look for an Aeon ATM, Japanese lending institution the fee is only 150 up to 20,000 and they give you a fair rate.

If she gets her new card and can't locate an Aeon, and need to use one of the Thai ATM getting around the 220 is impossible unless you have an institution that reimburses you later like Charles Schwab. 

Pass this on to her regarding the Thai ATM,  there are some cards like my Credit Union when one insert the card in and request her amount they will ask you if you accept the charge of 220, she pushes yes, thereafter if the screen shows a total breakdown of what she is going to pay for the transaction this will include, the fee 220 the amount she requested and the exchange rate that is being given etc etc, in the end, MAKE SURE SHE KNOWS NOT TO PUSH YES!  the exchange rate being offered by the Thai banks on the screen is much less than being offered in the International market pushing NO will revert the rate to the International. 

Double dip!  for example, if the International rate in pound is 41.50 the rate on the screen by the Thai bank might show 40.00 if she pushes NO will in general get her 41.00!  This is the kind of a rip off from the Thai banks, my Credit Union card, when used with Aeon, doesn't try to rip you off by double dipping.

Hope that help a bit?

They don't "give you a fair rate", they pass on the full Mastercard rate. 

I mentioned AEON earlier. The only thing is that they are few and far between, even more so the free Bank of China ATMs.

On 3/2/2019 at 3:35 PM, sanemax said:

Most banks can do the over the counter transaction , it just depends on whether they have a hand held card reader in store

Most banks can do the over the counter transaction , it just depends on whether they have a hand held card reader in store

On 3/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, msmoby said:

))

Not Chinese....Russian...

We were being charged only 64 Baht when using the already converted Thai Baht on The UK based post office travel card and NOT accepting conversion!

I used to do that with my Bangkok bank account until I started using Transferwise, the best move I ever made from a cash point of view. It is as Sanemax said, it depends on the particular branch having a hand held card reader, and that it is working.

To the OP - if you know anyone personally (and are mutually trustworthy), do a direct bank transfer to their foreign account, and buy the equivalent THB cash from them... or wait for them to send it to their Thai account.

If they use Transferwise (or similar) they'll lock in the rate when they set up the transfer.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:36 AM, Crossy said:

The fee is fixed, so withdraw the maximum the card will allow (most machines max at 20,000 Baht, some at 25,000).

Also, do NOT accept the dynamic currency conversion, if you say no you still get the cash but at a better rate.

EDIT Similarly, if you use a foreign card to buy something the machine will often offer home currency or Baht. ALWAYS take the Baht option it's cheaper.

I was staying on the coast near Prachuap and there was only one ATM. I have a foreign currency card that gives me a good exchange rate so I never accept the currency conversion. However, no matter what amount I tried to withdraw it said insufficient funds available until I finally tried accepting the dynamic conversion and hey presto funds were available. So watch out for this scam. I did take a picture of the ATM but I can't find it so I'm not able to name and shame the owner ☹️

On 3/2/2019 at 7:21 PM, msmoby said:

Thanks for the responses, but:

1/ she is a tourist - no Thai bank account ..Can she open one ? 

2/ Getting the money to Thailand is not the issue - ( I can send money instantly via paysend.com / a UK to UK transfer - and withdrawing using a std UK debit card ) it's getting it OUT without the MASSIVE fees is the issue ((

I believe Krungsri bank allow up to 30,000 baht per day withdrawal from their ATM machines for a flat fee of about 200 baht, alternatively, from my understanding when I did research it a while back, you could do an over the counter withdrawal of up to 150,000 baht for the same fee.

I would also imagine they wouldn't want to many people to know this, that said, best start researching Krungsri bank ATM amounts and over the counter amounts, plus fees.

At a glance https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/3a59c668-4401-4ecb-8741-78956f29dd8e/fees-deposits-withdrawals-fcd-26022019.aspx

Someone mentioned earlier that taking cash over the counter at a bank here in Thailand with a debit card is not possible--NOT TRUE,  you just have to search around.  I've been getting cash withdrawals from my checking/savings accounts over the counter at Bangkok Banks since I moved here in 2000, and the exchange rate is equivalent to the TT buying rate--though there is a 1% exchange rate fee for VISA branded cards...not sure of the rate for MasterCard or AMEX.  Additionally, you're only limited to the amount your home bank allows you to withdraw.  In my case I can withdraw up to $3000 daily, or $6000 if both me and my wife make a withdrawal (joint account but separate cards numerically).  

Also, be aware that taking a cash advance over the counter with a credit card may incur a rate higher than your normal fee for purchases. However, if you are using a "Fee Free" credit card, whether permanent or temporary, this is not the same thing as withdrawing money from your checking (current) or savings account with a debit card. You may or may not qualify for zero fee transactions. Check with your home bank for details. 

NOTE: I bank in the US and this may not be the same in other countries.  

1 hour ago, BenBen23 said:

transferwise is the lowest cost option, easy to use, and easy to figure out. Just open a bank account in Thailand, maybe Bangkok Bank. Then you can transfer money easily with TW to her BBK account. 

guess it depends on how much you are sending with them.  When I looked at sending $50,000 they wanted $480, not cheap.

54 minutes ago, rwill said:

guess it depends on how much you are sending with them.  When I looked at sending $50,000 they wanted $480, not cheap.

That rather depends on the exchange rate that you were getting, with all the other transfer options.

Often though you see what looks like a high fee you conveniently forget that you get a worse exchange rate with the no fee or low/hidden fees charged by the others and those fees exchange rates make you worse off.

It is quite likely though for large transfers that there may be better ways to send money.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

4 hours ago, mosan said:

Someone mentioned earlier that taking cash over the counter at a bank here in Thailand with a debit card is not possible--NOT TRUE,  you just have to search around.  I've been getting cash withdrawals from my checking/savings accounts over the counter at Bangkok Banks since I moved here in 2000, and the exchange rate is equivalent to the TT buying rate--though there is a 1% exchange rate fee for VISA branded cards...not sure of the rate for MasterCard or AMEX.  Additionally, you're only limited to the amount your home bank allows you to withdraw.  In my case I can withdraw up to $3000 daily, or $6000 if both me and my wife make a withdrawal (joint account but separate cards numerically).  

Also, be aware that taking a cash advance over the counter with a credit card may incur a rate higher than your normal fee for purchases. However, if you are using a "Fee Free" credit card, whether permanent or temporary, this is not the same thing as withdrawing money from your checking (current) or savings account with a debit card. You may or may not qualify for zero fee transactions. Check with your home bank for details. 

NOTE: I bank in the US and this may not be the same in other countries.  

Didn't say it wasn't possible, but mostly you'll be pointed towards the ATM. But as you say, if you shop around they might do it...or simply charge you for doing it.

I use a credit card and get the full Mastercard rate with no fees.

VISA rate is usually poorer, so I don't know if that accounts for the 1% you mention or if you are charged that in addition.

The rate doesn't matter since you won't be paying interest anyway if you cover your withdrawals immediately by bank transfer.

I'm sure people already know if they have a fee free card. ???? No need to check with their bank.