Stranded in Thailand

19 hours ago, ZZHELICOPTER said:

I have decided that of they dont want me here, I will leave.

I am surely sorry for your troubles but so many people seem to take it personally. It would be nice if somehow you could be grandfathered. I would guess that other's abuse of the regulations has led to this change in Imm policies. I have always found Imm Officers to be helpful and respectful. Can you go in and explain your situation and ask for help and a solution? 

Good luck to you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

So you think immigration arent cold blooded.

When they claim being in a coma is no excuse for overstay, you think that is not cold blooded.

Col, I put a laugh emoticon on your post, because the attitude to you from Immigration is laughable.

No malice was intended at all blud.

:smile:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope things go smoothly for you.

If it were me I would consider Malaysia, given the excellent cheap health care and ease of travel around and from Thailand. 

You can go easily by rail with cheap sleeper berths if an hour or two flight wouldn't work for you (depending on where you are in Thailand).

The air seems to be significantly cleaner much of the year in Malaysia than it is in a lot of Thailand (from what I've heard) and medical services and mass transit are more advanced plus they speak the Queen's English.

Good to hear they speak English. Years ago I had a difficult time buying a train (excellent trains) ticket to Bangkok. No one spoke English at the beautiful station in QL and there were no signs in English directing me to line I needed to be in to buy the ticket. Also, when I got off at the border to change to a Thai train, no one spoke English in the ticket booth.

Made for a very interesting trip.

It's different now?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Good to hear they speak English. Years ago I had a difficult time buying a train (excellent trains) ticket to Bangkok. No one spoke English at the beautiful station in QL and there were no signs in English directing me to line I needed to be in to buy the ticket. Also, when I got off at the border to change to a Thai train, no one spoke English in the ticket booth.

It's different now?

My experience a couple years back was that English was spoken by personnel selling tickets in Penang and KL. 

This was when the train ran direct to Bangkok from Penang (just get off to get stamped out/in), so I did not have to buy a ticket on the Thai side - but would be surprised if they could not decipher "ticket Bangkok" in English.

29 minutes ago, elgenon said:

It's different now?

my Thai girlfriend just got back from Malaysia and she said English was spoken everywhere she went.    

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Many of the people who are having problems here are essentially economic refugees who were pretending to have baht 65,000 a month in income per the requirements but had far less available to contribute to the economy. 

Still contributors, none the less - so no comparison to immigration into our passport-countries by people who show up penniless with their hands out and have driven millions of citizens' wages down to working-poverty levels.

21 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

And certainly some people on marriage extensions  work here, so some or all of their contributions are earned in-country ... not to mention some people who work while here on permissions to stay that do not allow employment. 

Agree - but ironically, extensions for Thai earned income are easier to get - and even open the door to Citizenship/PR.  It is self-funded people who don't take Thai jobs who are more likely to be shafted by the new rules.  For next year, "Plan C" is to take a Thai job to stay (where Plan "A" is a marriage-based 1-year extension and Plan "B" is another Non-O-ME Visa).

• Like 1

To the OP - it seems to me that your difficulties may be more with yourself than with the practicalities of dealing with poor health and the Thai visa situation; perhaps you find yourself going around and around in your mind whilst going nowhere, when a step-by-step approach to solving your perceived problems might provide a better solution?

While the recent changes in immigration rules have worried a lot of people, be aware that there are always ways and means in a country like Thailand. Do some research online, talk to other people in similar situations, decide the best way forward for yourself, then take steps. Similarly, have you exhausted all the possibilities related to your health situation? Your saying that, while you are financially stable, you do not wish to be scammed out of everything suggests that you fear that happening - perhaps through overpriced healthcare or treatment? Is it possible that such fear is preventing you taking the steps necessary to secure your future? While there are reports of overcharging for medical services to farangs, I believe that with preparation and trusted partner, wife, family or friend to help you, you can guard against that happening to you.

At the risk of teaching grandma to suck eggs, the first step towards solving a problem is always the hardest. Good luck.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ZZHELICOPTER said:

I love it here but dont want to live in fear. i tried to move some money out and they blocked it. i am scared.

"They" didn't "block" your attempt in particular to move money out of the country.  Repatriation of funds, i.e sending money out of the country, is not usually possible unless you have a work permit, normal Bank of Thailand regulations.  If you've lived here for 16 years you should know that!

What are you living in fear about, why are you so scared?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Immigration are meant to be showing "leniency" whilst people sort out payments and the like. I can't recall any leniency examples yet?

Leniency also known as a transition period allowing people to get their act together, rather than kick them up the arse on the way out

The leniency seems to be no more than allowing 2 or 3 months of income if you was to renew with that method in say March or as many months of income you need to show to renew this year. 8 months of income for instance if your renewal falls in August. That IMO, is about as much leniency as is going to be allowed.

banks do block the sending of money. Not exactly blocking but they try everything in there power to stop it. Its happened several times to my wife and i. Its real!

They make no end of excuses and drag on transfers for weeks and even months as happened once.

Is thailand broke?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

So you think immigration arent cold blooded.

When they claim being in a coma is no excuse for overstay, you think that is not cold blooded.

I very much doubt that is what Immigration actually said, or meant.  Of course they would have been correct if you, your family or your doctors didn't make use of the official procedures that are in place (I know, I've used them) to accommodate people in that situation.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

banks do block the sending of money. Not exactly blocking but they try everything in there power to stop it. Its happened several times to my wife and i. Its real!

They make no end of excuses and drag on transfers for weeks and even months as happened once.

Is thailand broke?

No, they've had to do it for years, it's called BoT regulations.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, jaideeguy said:

Myself @ 72 with multiple health issues was faced with that same decision 5 yrs ago.  Happily and comfortably  married and retired in the north of LOS when my health issues caught up with me and my returning to the 'mother country' was the best choice as I didn't want to die in a Thai hospital where they keep you on life support just to up the bill and hard to get pain meds..........no living will and/or advance directive there plus they didn't have the cure for my disease where it was easily available in the west.  

I didn't want to leave, but at the same time, I didn't want to die in a hospital in lOS [never mind how many beautiful nurses there are]. Long story short. By returning home, I figure that I was given at least 5 more years of life especially since my wife and kids are here with me.

So, why won't you consider returning to your homeland? 

Clearly you made the right decision for you and your family and its goodto see that it has worked out so well for you.

But for the benefit of other readers, there are Living Will/advanced directives here and they are acted upon by doctors. (maybe not all doctors as in most countries).  I have a copy of one in my safe now for a friend, and another friend was helped 'helped' on his way at his request by a doctor here.

I only record this to help others who may have enough trauma with possible end of life issues without believing Living Wills dont exist here, or are useless

21 hours ago, ZZHELICOPTER said:

I have lived here since 2003 and have had a retirement Visa since 2007. I am 73 in poor health, and on a life support system (oxygen). I was surviving fine until Thai Immigration refused to renew my Visa

If you are on a life support system why not ask your doctors to assist you with the visa extension, as they will do for an in-patient?  Immigration have a process to accommodate in-patients (such as you must be) if you're really on life support.

You do not seem very keen to enlarge on why your visa application was refused, is there a reason for that?

• Like 1

It is a somewhat confusing situation.

Per the OP, on oxygen, cannot fly and 73yrs. of age and visa/permission close to expiry.

Deal with the last issue first. IMO

The very first reply by Ubonjoe suggested a possible solution for extension on medical grounds.

Another poster also suggested the same. Both those posters very au fait with immigration matters.

OP states he is in Pattaya in a reply to another poster.

Several options, ask his current doctor to write the medical note that he is unfit to travel.

Phone either of BPH or PIH hospitals and if unable to travel to either, request a doctor home visit.

Dr. Olivier will also do home visits.

The OP does seem in fear, yep can sort of understand that but try to deal with 1 problem at a time.

I wish him well but some further info might help others to help him.

• Like 1

If he is deathly ill and too sick to fly, where is he going? Only place with medical car worth a hoot outside Thailand in SE Asia accessible by train is Singapore.......

Edited by Nyezhov

33 minutes ago, seasia said:

It is a somewhat confusing situation.

Per the OP, on oxygen, cannot fly and 73yrs. of age and visa/permission close to expiry.

Deal with the last issue first. IMO

The very first reply by Ubonjoe suggested a possible solution for extension on medical grounds.

Another poster also suggested the same. Both those posters very au fait with immigration matters.

OP states he is in Pattaya in a reply to another poster.

Several options, ask his current doctor to write the medical note that he is unfit to travel.

Phone either of BPH or PIH hospitals and if unable to travel to either, request a doctor home visit.

"Phone either of BPH or PIH hospitals and if unable to travel to either, request a doctor home visit".

The OP states that he is "on life support".  He cannot be on life support if he is at home.

I'm pretty sure that the Immigration visa arrangement is for patients who are hospitalised, not for those at home.