Stranded in Thailand

27 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

If he is deathly ill and too sick to fly, where is he going? Only place with medical car worth a hoot outside Thailand in SE Asia accessible by train is Singapore.......

And Kuala Lumpur, same railway.

Good care, good English, closer and cheap.

8 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

is it not that one needs ringgit 350000 to retire in malaysia ??

wbr

roobaa01

My comment was aimed at medical care, not retirement.

Are you implying it's easier/cheaper to retire in Singapore?

Where in the world is one going to retire that is cheaper than SE Asia???

23 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

My comment was aimed at medical care, not retirement.

Are you implying it's easier/cheaper to retire in Singapore?

Where in the world is one going to retire that is cheaper than SE Asia???

singapore no way.

is malaysia medically cheaper than los ??

wbr

roobaa01

21 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope things go smoothly for you.

If it were me I would consider Malaysia, given the excellent cheap health care and ease of travel around and from Thailand. 

You can go easily by rail with cheap sleeper berths if an hour or two flight wouldn't work for you (depending on where you are in Thailand).

The air seems to be significantly cleaner much of the year in Malaysia than it is in a lot of Thailand (from what I've heard) and medical services and mass transit are more advanced plus they speak the Queen's English.

If the Op can't afford to stay in Thailand, he won't be able to afford Malaysia. Bureaucracy for Mm2h is way more difficult and time consuming than a retirement ext. in Thailand or a 90 day report.

Plus he needs medical insurance.

Cheap and excellent healthcare in Malaysia? Go and try it.

Grass is not greener ....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

Good to hear they speak English. Years ago I had a difficult time buying a train (excellent trains) ticket to Bangkok. No one spoke English at the beautiful station in QL and there were no signs in English directing me to line I needed to be in to buy the ticket. Also, when I got off at the border to change to a Thai train, no one spoke English in the ticket booth.

Made for a very interesting trip.

It's different now?

No.

4 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Plus he needs medical insurance.

Might be easier said than done to obtain in his case as he is over 70.

Plus he probably would not be covered for his existing health issues in any event.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Have to disagree with this.

not allowed to send money out of Thailand ?????

Never done it but find this highly questionable, especially if the money came in from abroad, my bank say can be done in branch only and did not suggest that I cannot do it.

As already stated Deemoney now provides this service and if all else fails then just withdraw it as cash 

As for the OP, perhaps more details about you extension rejection and medical condition might help people provide you with solutions, you could also seek the assistance of someone in Pattaya that might be able to navigate you through possible options and give general assitance

As already stated - people do fly with oxygen breathers - doctors might advise against travel - it doesn't mean you can't.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Have to disagree with this.

Perhaps I should emphasise that I was obviously referring to using a Thai bank as I mentioned BoT regulations.  You may disagree but what I posted is fact. 

I recently wanted to transfer around B11,000 to an HSBC branch in Hong Kong to pay for an online purchase and could not do it through Bangkok Bank even though I've had an account there since 1994 because I do not have a WP.

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Perhaps I should emphasise that I was obviously referring to using a Thai bank as I mentioned BoT regulations.  You may disagree but what I posted is fact. 

I recently wanted to transfer around B11,000 to an HSBC branch in Hong Kong to pay for an online purchase and could not do it through Bangkok Bank even though I've had an account there since 1994 because I do not have a WP.

I suspect you couldn't do this transfer because of a totally different reason than what you are suggesting, I have Paypal in Thailand and make purchases all the time from outside Thailand without a problem

I could be that the payee receiving money must be you - to your own home bank account in your name and possibly must have originated from there in the first place.

Edited by smedly

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I've done this a numerous times (Bangkok Bank). Try another branch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

not allowed to send money out of Thailand ?????

Never done it but find this highly questionable, especially if the money came in from abroad, my bank say can be done in branch only and did not suggest that I cannot do it.

As already stated Deemoney now provides this service and if all else fails then just withdraw it as cash 

As for the OP, perhaps more details about you extension rejection and medical condition might help people provide you with solutions

"Never done it but find this highly questionable..."

Typical Thaivisa member view!  I have tried to do it, personally, and was refused because I have no work permit.

"...my bank say can be done in branch only and did not suggest that I cannot do it".

Your bank was correct, it is permissible if you're repatriating earnings...if you can produce a work permit.

"As already stated Deemoney now provides this service..."

Deemoney only does it to selected countries.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Never done it but find this highly questionable..."

Typical Thaivisa member view!  I have tried to do it, personally, and was refused because I have no work permit.

"...my bank say can be done in branch only and did not suggest that I cannot do it".

Your bank was correct, it is permissible if you're repatriating earnings...if you can produce a work permit.

"As already stated Deemoney now provides this service..."

Deemoney only does it to selected countries.

read and learn

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

I suspect you couldn't do this transfer because of a totally different reason than what you are suggesting, I have Paypal in Thailand and make purchases all the time from outside Thailand without a problem

I could be that the payee receiving money must be you - to your own home bank account in your name and possibly must have originated from there in the first place.

Suspect what you like but the reason was that I was not repatriating earnings and, as I said, have no work permit.

I have PP also bit it's no good of the seller doesn't!

The post you linked to does not teach anything at all about transferring funds out of Thailand!  He was asking a question about whether it was possible.

I've seen it stated several times over the last few years that to transfer/withdraw funds from a Thai bank it's essential to be able to show documentation that the funds were initially transferred from an external foreign bank into the Thai bank, or they suspect one was working illegally.

But now several posters are stating that one must have a work permit to be able to empty account by transferring out.

So that means everyone with 800k in a Thai bank cannot get their money out?

Doesn't seem correct but eager for clarification.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 1:57 PM, jackdd said:

The easiest way would probably be to just pay an agent to get the extension

..the OP would still need to front up in person to have the photo taken and sign documents..just ask 'colineil', he will give you first-hand account of what stubbornness really is...good luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

I've seen it stated several times over the last few years that to transfer/withdraw funds from a Thai bank it's essential to be able to show documentation that the funds were initially transferred from an external bank into the Thai bank, or they suspect one was working illegally.

But now several posters are stating that one must have a work permit to be able to empty account by transferring out.

"So that means everyone with 800k in a Thai bank cannot get their money out?"

No, it doesn't mean that.  There's a difference between making a withdrawal here from your own bank account, for which there are no restrictions, and transferring money from a Thai bank account out of the country for which there very much are restrictions!

• Like 1

I wish you success OP.

This is one of several posts I've seen in which the poster is physically unable to leave or can only do so with great difficulty due to medical reasons.

A sad and scary experience no doubt being put in that situation at any age and especially at an advanced age.

Edited by JimmyJ

5 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I've seen it stated several times over the last few years that to transfer/withdraw funds from a Thai bank it's essential to be able to show documentation that the funds were initially transferred from an external foreign bank into the Thai bank, or they suspect one was working illegally.

The requirement is to show where the funds came from.  If it's savings from working, then a work permit would be required, also potentially a letter from the employer showing salary & bonus income, and sometimes tax documents showing tax was withheld. If its from the sale of an asset, then records of the sale transaction (house, securities, etc). If it's inheritance or gift, then evidence of that.  If it's from division of assets from divorce, then legal documents showing proof. 

Don't know why Just Weird ran into the insistence of a work permit if the funds came from some other legal activity, but it could be the branch manager of that bank was marching by the beat of his own drum.  If the funds came from a legal activity which can be proved, try a different bank.  Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn on Silom Road have good reputations, so do these two banks in other expat central areas (say Phrom Phong) or Citibank at Asoke.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ZZHELICOPTER said:

I love it here but dont want to live in fear. i tried to move some money out and they blocked it. i am scared.

Not gonna lie - this line here made me think this is a pisstake. I transfer money back and forward around the place and have never had anything blocked

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"So that means everyone with 800k in a Thai bank cannot get their money out?"

No, it doesn't mean that.  There's a difference between making a withdrawal here from your own bank account, for which there are no restrictions, and transferring money from a Thai bank account out of the country for which there very much are restrictions!

You're suggesting that if someone on extensions (no WP) brought in 800,000 from their overseas bank for their visa extension, and they decided to leave in the following year they wouldn't be able to repatriate their money? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Nonsense post, immigration 90 day medical is for everyone who cannot travel, as long as they can provide a doctors cert to verify that.

I am thinking he meant to say hospital arranged visa (Extension) assistance, not simply a doctor statement.

50 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I recently wanted to transfer around B11,000 to an HSBC branch in Hong Kong to pay for an online purchase and could not do it through Bangkok Bank

I pay for online purchases to overseas companies all the time using my BB Credit Card.