What about the Rebel 500?

aremesal

Today I could test a Rebel 500 and liked it so much. I was thinking in changing my small (200cc) bike by the end of this year and now that Honda is a firm candidate.

I've read bad reviews and info about the Honda 300cc engine (the one in the Rebel, CB...) but didn't find so much regarding the 500cc one,which I think is totally different.

Do you know any flaws about that bike? Or is it a good choice?

Almost forgot; I use the bike in a daily basis, in the city, for everyday commute as well as short (under 300Km) trips on weekends. For the city, the Rebel handles way better than my current small bike [emoji28]

• Like 1

If you like it; then get one.

Same engine as the CB500R/F/X models which apparently are quite good (for the money) and economical on fuel as well.  

Surprised to read that the 300/500 have exactly the same brakes, hmm but okay they are cruisers and not sports bikes. 

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/honda/2017-2019-honda-rebel-300-rebel-500-ar170853.html

Edited by guzzi850m2
grammer
  • Like 1

Top candidate for the ugliest cruiser in production. The engine is very docile. From the looks I think the Vulcan S is much much nicer. That engine also performs a lot better. Both sound like <deleted> though. Kawa really missed the boat here by not putting a 270 degree crank in it to mimic a V-Twin like e.g. Triumph does.

The Honda 500 engine is rock solid. I've done about 60k km on mine and it never ever missed a beat even if you abuse it a bit. Never heard of people having issues. The biggest downside there, at least in the CBR trim, is the vibes above 5k RPM. But you probably wont be riding much in that RPM range with a cruiser and maybe the Rebel doesn't have that issue to begin with.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I found a sports bike too hot sitting at traffic lights etc around the city

The Rebel is not a sports bike so there's that. And the 500 engine in my CBR500R which is the same as in the Rebel doesn't get hot imho. At least not compared to other big bikes.

If we're talking Honda 500 then I'd say the CB500X is the best trim for Thailand. Relaxed riding position, good suspension travel and a little bit wind protection. Very popular here for a reason.

Either way, forget about the 300.

• Like 2

One of the downsides to these cruisers with foward controls is that you can’t stand on the pegs when going over pot holes etc.... my spine would prolly look like bits of backbone from a can of tinned salmon after a few days touring on one of those.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

And the 500 engine in my CBR500R which is the same as in the Rebel doesn't get hot imho. At least not compared to other big bikes.

If we're talking Honda 500 then I'd say the CB500X is the best trim for Thailand. Relaxed riding position, good suspension travel and a little bit wind protection. Very popular here for a reason.

My X gets a little hot on the legs in leathers or reinforced jeans when stuck in bad traffic that can't be filtered through. It takes a bit of time to start getting hot but you probably won't see it in general day to day so I am probably playing semantics.

I find the X trim very versatile. I made a visit to YSS in Samut Prakan and had them dial in front and rear with emulators and springs up front and a new shock in the rear. Without trying to piss in anyone's pocket, I found some very impressive lean angles through the Tak, Mae Hong Son, Uttaradit and Nan roads.

The biggest issue I have with the X is the front brake. It is wooden but does it's job. It wouldn't be my first choice for stoppies even with HEL brake lines, HH scintered pads and a very well bled system. If I had my shed back home I'd line up a decent brake caliper with more surface area and fab up a mounting bracket to match a sportbike master cylinder. Did similar with great results to an SV650 track bike before I swapped that bike's front end for a late model GSXR.

But back to the Rebel, neither that or the kwaka are my style, but people do like them like them. People like the relaxed position and the low centre of mass and seat height. I'd take the Kwak if I was a longer experienced rider who would miss the power.

But as the OP is coming from a small capacity and that is something we need to keep sight of,  I don't think they will miss the extra power of the 650 engine.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

The biggest issue I have with the X is the front brake. It is wooden but does it's job.

I fully agree with that. The feel is very wooden but still kinda works. I'd assume the same goes again for the Rebel.

31 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

But as the OP is coming from a small capacity and that is something we need to keep sight of,  I don't think they will miss the extra power of the 650 engine.

Good point but from my own experience, going from the CBR500R to a CB650F for example felt like a big step up. The 650 Kawa isn't know for its power but I would assume it's a similar noticeable jump. The 650 range imho can keep one entertained for a very very long time.

34 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

My X gets a little hot on the legs in leathers or reinforced jeans when stuck in bad traffic that can't be filtered through. It takes a bit of time to start getting hot but you probably won't see it in general day to day so I am probably playing semantics.

It's all relative. Yes there is some kind of heat when stuck but the 650 Honda for example produces quite a bit more. And when I ride my Ducati then come back to the CBR500R it feels like fresh air from the Arctic ????

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I fully agree with that. The feel is very wooden but still kinda works.

Right that. If you find a way to get some feel, or you know an aftermarket bracket to match a late model caliper, I'd be interested.

29 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Good point but from my own experience, going from the CBR500R to a CB650F for example felt like a big step up. The 650 Kawa isn't know for its power but I would assume it's a similar noticeable jump. The 650 range imho can keep one entertained for a very very long time. 

The CBR is a nice inline 4 with a long heritage. I once had a 900 hornet on loan and really enjoyed it. Similar characteristics. I've said since the early 90s that 100BHP is the sweet spot for a road going bike. Reduce that a tad for an V twin. But generally speaking you don't need more and the extra burden to support more horsepower only reduces agility. The steel framed CBR650 is a very competent bike once the suspension is sorted.

33 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

And when I ride my Ducati then come back to the CBR500R it feels like fresh air from the Arctic

Aye that. My ZX-12 could facilitate a BBQ at traffic lights. It is the least enjoyed bike I have ever ridden for a variety of reasons but heat is among them. Stay upright ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

It is the same engine that is found in the CB500X, F and R models. It is under stressed and has a counter-balancer to keep it feeling smooth.

The Rebel may have slightly different cam timings but if you don't find the engine characteristics to your liking, a simple front or rear sprocket change will dial it in for you.

My CB500X is no powerhouse but does it's job without fuss. Can lift the front wheel or get it a little light with my large frame when accelerating hard in first. Will lift the front wheel without issue with a tweak of the clutch.

There are not too many issues noted with the engine and from memory, my cam shims were only just out of tolerance on last inspection so I expect this to be a long lived engine if filters and semi synthetic oil is run in them. I have just under 50K on mine with 49k of those put on it by me. Clutch is still good and I give it a hard time during some moments.

You will the power welcome coming from the bike you have now, but this is no powerhouse. But is is very rideable and livable. If you have any specific questions, fell free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer them if I can. Enjoy the new bike.

Kawasaki make a 650 in the same cruiser style form as the Rebel. It has a much stronger engine. A guy at the office has one and it has not had an issue in 60k. Not sure on the price difference though I expect it will be more costly than the Rebel.

I tried different models and likekd the F the most.

AA6.jpg

5 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Vulcan S 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I got mine for only about 20,000 bht more than the price of a Honda 500 rebel. and there's second hand ones at Dbigbike in BKK.

Edited by findlay13

The 500 is, I think, stuck in "no-man's land", especially with a manual trans. It is too big and difficult for around town, especially in heavy traffic, like BKK/Pattaya, and too small for serious long distance touring, although many will say that it can be done (it can also be done on a Wave if you want to experience torture). Actually, no one bike may serve the needs of most of us that use a bike daily around town and also longer distance touring. I have a Forza 300 for around town and a CTX700n for touring, which is a great combination for Thailand. I expect that you could find a used CTX with very few km's for the same price as a new Rebel 500, which would be far and away my preferred option. My CTX is strictly manual, but the dual auto/manual trans is probably the best option for both around town and touring. Finding a used one may not be easy, and will no doubt be more expensive, but certainly less than keeping 2 bikes in your stable. 

21 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I found a sports bike too hot sitting at traffic lights etc around the city. I swapped my CBR for a Forza and never looked back. May look like a grandpa bike but great comfortable all rounder with tons of storage. Probably as fast as a CBR300 and great tourer too

When I tried it yesterday it feels more maneuverable than my current one, I could move it in small spaces better than mine, so I think it's OK for Chiang Mai ????

21 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

It is the same engine that is found in the CB500X, F and R models. It is under stressed and has a counter-balancer to keep it feeling smooth.

The Rebel may have slightly different cam timings but if you don't find the engine characteristics to your liking, a simple front or rear sprocket change will dial it in for you.

My CB500X is no powerhouse but does it's job without fuss. Can lift the front wheel or get it a little light with my large frame when accelerating hard in first. Will lift the front wheel without issue with a tweak of the clutch.

There are not too many issues noted with the engine and from memory, my cam shims were only just out of tolerance on last inspection so I expect this to be a long lived engine if filters and semi synthetic oil is run in them. I have just under 50K on mine with 49k of those put on it by me. Clutch is still good and I give it a hard time during some moments.

You will the power welcome coming from the bike you have now, but this is no powerhouse. But is is very rideable and livable. If you have any specific questions, fell free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer them if I can. Enjoy the new bike.

Kawasaki make a 650 in the same cruiser style form as the Rebel. It has a much stronger engine. A guy at the office has one and it has not had an issue in 60k. Not sure on the price difference though I expect it will be more costly than the Rebel.

I tested the CB too, the R, and to be honest it didn't delighted me. The gearbox is softer than the one in the Rebel and the instruments are more comprehensive, but the riding position didn't impress me. I haven't tested the X or the F tho... maybe I should test the X or F too, maybe they're different from the R.

Regarding the power, my current is just 17HP so the Rebel's 40some would be a nice improvement ????

20 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

What about the Rebel 500?

What about it?

Fugly as sin.

Yeah, it says Honda on the tank...

Yes, I read your comments in the thread about the Rebels 2 or 3 years ago ????

The thing is that maybe I have not good taste, but I DO like it xD

20 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

And it’s heavy when compared to its power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said before, my current bike is a mere 17HP and 160Kg, so the 40some and just under 200Kg would be a great difference for me ????

19 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Kawasaki Vulcan S, 650cc, bit more expensive but getting amazing reviews.

I was reading about it too. Maybe I feel it's a bit too much for me, remember than I'm a total novice and I prefer to go step by step. In addition, the Vulcan S looks to me like longer so not so easy to ride in the city/traffic jam; maybe I can try to find a dealer in which I can test ride the Vulcan.

19 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Top candidate for the ugliest cruiser in production. The engine is very docile. From the looks I think the Vulcan S is much much nicer. That engine also performs a lot better. Both sound like <deleted> though. Kawa really missed the boat here by not putting a 270 degree crank in it to mimic a V-Twin like e.g. Triumph does.

The Honda 500 engine is rock solid. I've done about 60k km on mine and it never ever missed a beat even if you abuse it a bit. Never heard of people having issues. The biggest downside there, at least in the CBR trim, is the vibes above 5k RPM. But you probably wont be riding much in that RPM range with a cruiser and maybe the Rebel doesn't have that issue to begin with.

The Rebel is not a sports bike so there's that. And the 500 engine in my CBR500R which is the same as in the Rebel doesn't get hot imho. At least not compared to other big bikes.

Many people say it's ugly as an *ss, but I like it... ????in fact I like it more than the Vulcan! As said before, I think the Vulcan is a bit too much for me, and it's longer and heavier...

Regarding the CB, as said I tested the R version and the position/handling didn't delighted me, I liked much more the handling in the Rebel. Maybe I'm a bit weird ???? But as said, I didn't tested the X or the F...

Anyway I already discarded the 300, both in the Rebel, CB and CBR. Tested a CBR300 and liked the gears but anything else, and I have read enough bad things regarding that engine.

18 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

One of the downsides to these cruisers with foward controls is that you can’t stand on the pegs when going over pot holes etc.... my spine would prolly look like bits of backbone from a can of tinned salmon after a few days touring on one of those.

Good point, I didn't think about it while testing so didn't test it ???? In fact the Rebel has the pegs not so advanced, but definitely they're not in a good position to get stand on, and that's something I do everyday a lot in these uneven thai  roads and streets... Good point to have in mind!

18 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

But back to the Rebel, neither that or the kwaka are my style, but people do like them like them. People like the relaxed position and the low centre of mass and seat height. I'd take the Kwak if I was a longer experienced rider who would miss the power.

Yes, as said I liked to much the position and low centre of mass. I mean, I'm not an expert but after trying some bikes the past months and specially the Hondas (CB and CBR) the position and handling of the Rebel was almost perfect FOR ME. I felt so naturally riding it. But again, maybe I should test any other "bobber style" around, as that was my first time riding a bike like that.

Of course, I'll not miss any extra power. My current is a 200cc 17HP carburated air-cooled, so anything will be MUCH better ????

In fact, I'm a total novice with proper bikes (I mean, apart from scooters). I bought my current cheap one some months ago and I plan to use it at least one and a half years to get experience before going bigger; and when going bigger, I prefer to go step by step to keep learning. At the end, my 20's are far far away so I don't learn so fast - and if fall, I'll not heal so fast too ????

That is the reason I'm looking at the Rebel or anything similar in the range 400-500cc, I think I'll not need more power in the next years, at least until I have a couple more years of experience.

As I'm a novice I'm not sure about anything, but I'm sure I want a bike not sporty - I prefer relaxed position - and I want a bi-cilinder. Rest of the things... I just don't know about right now, so I ask here to the veterans who can give me advice ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aremesal said:

I tested the CB too, the R, and to be honest it didn't delighted me. The gearbox is softer than the one in the Rebel and the instruments are more comprehensive, but the riding position didn't impress me. I haven't tested the X or the F tho... maybe I should test the X or F too, maybe they're different from the R.

The X is totally different from the R. The R for my size has something like a 13 degree forward lean angle. The X has a completely upright 0 degree. I would assume the same for the Rebel. Give it a try. The CB500X has the advantage of bigger suspension travel and a bit of wind protection. Plus better options to mount luggage and to take a pillion if you want to. I think this website might give you a good idea: http://cycle-ergo.com/

Enter both bikes, your measurements and switch between the two to see the difference. Unfortunately I don't think they have the Rebel.

• Like 2

The Honda CB500-X could also be a good option, ideal for Thai road surfaces, not too powerful for a novice, very reliable engine, super comfortable seat, slipper-clutch, excellent fuel consumption (although you’ll need to use ‘95, it won’t like ‘91), the 2019 model has a 19 inch front wheel to deal with the potholes, LED lights..... this bike is ideal for someone like you (and me)..... 220,000 baht, the finance that Honda offers is only about 20,000 interest over 4 years or something.... easy.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

although you’ll need to use ‘95, it won’t like ‘91

Honda put a sticker on my bike recommending 91 octane fuel. I see no reason to use 95 with that low-compression, low-heat engine and therefor I've been putting 91 gasohol into it pretty much all the time (unless I have to leave it for an extended period, then I fill it with Benzine).

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Honda put a sticker on my bike recommending 91 octane fuel. I see no reason to use 95 with that low-compression, low-heat engine and therefor I've been putting 91 gasohol into it pretty much all the time (unless I have to leave it for an extended period, then I fill it with Benzine).

Here’s a nice review 

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/honda/2019-honda-cb500x-ar184184.html

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

They didn't sound very sure about the octane in this article and either way they are talking about the US market I think. It also seems like they actually didn't ride the bike nor had seen it in the flesh, just reworded Hondas press release information and specs. Does not look like a proper review to me.

There's one sure way to tell what octane a bike should take and that's the owner manual. Mine says 91 RON and I doubt they changed it for the new CB500X.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1