Suspect in Brinks robbery shot dead in Bangkok

webfact

Suspect in Brinks robbery shot dead in Bangkok

By The Nation

b4e6da9c5717c8117ce53bc907ddda67.jpeg

Police shot dead one of the two alleged perpetrators of an armoured truck robbery in Bangkok early Monday morning. He was apparently resisting arrest at the time.

af23cdb7dfc9b8d0c90a846dddc5b12e.jpeg

Police said Thakdanai Niawrungjai, 27, was gunned down next to a field of tall weeds in Soi Thawee Wattana 1 in Nong Khang Plue subdistrict at about 4.30am.

He was accused of collaborating with Jirayus Suanmi, 19, of robbing a BRINKS money truck of Bt7.2 million outside the Big C Extra shopping mall on Phetkasem Road in Bangkok's Nong Khaem district on February 23. Jirayus was arrested on February 27.

Police investigators knew that the elusive suspect was hiding in areas along Phutthamonthon 3 and 4 roads and learned from an informant that Thakdanai was due to meet friends at the snooker hall in front of Soi Thawee Wattana 1 late Sunday night.

When police rushed to the snooker hall to arrest him, he fled on a motorcycle inside the soi, heading to Phuttamonthon 4 road.

e532601b6b4029188cea3ab7c128acf2.jpeg

Police said that as the officers approached during the chase, the suspect ditched his motorcycle in the middle of the soi and was about to flee into the tall grass.

Police claimed Thakdanai pulled out his pistol and opened fire so the officers returned fire and hit him twice in his chest, killing him immediately. Police found Bt300,000 in cash in a bag hidden under the pillion seat of his bike.

The body was sent for an autopsy at the Police Hospital.

50fe3599bae5af35a35d8721b61d2037.jpeg

Police said the two robbers had apparently prepared well for the robbery as they took just 10 seconds to grab the cash from the money truck and fled on their motorcycle.

The two robbers arrived on their motorcycle just as the driver of the money truck and his helper came out of the shopping mall with Bt7.27 million cash in two bags. They were carrying the cash from a Siam Commercial Bank branch and were about to load it into the truck when the two robbers struck.

The pillion rider fired a gunshot into the air, causing one worker to run away, and the pillion rider forced another worker to throw him the moneybags.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365139

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-04

52 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So this is news to me, you are saying in Thailand, its possible to rob a multinational corporation or bank with a firearm, then give the police 1/2 of the proceeds to avoid prosecution?

In other words, you are saying that members of the Thai Police are accessories to violent criminality for money?

Oh my, I would never assume that.  Whatever would give you the impression, RTP could be influenced to turn a cheek to crime.  But the price to have them negotiate on your behalf or protect your interests, can be costly.........  ????

12 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Oh my, I would never assume that.  Whatever would give you the impression, RTP could be influenced to turn a cheek to crime.  But the price to have them negotiate on your behalf or protect your interests, can be costly.........  ????

Mmmm...so backtracking. So what was the point of your post then, just randomly defame the RTP?

Im never going to quarrel that there are individual officers EVERYWHERE in the world who can be bought, but you are saying that the entire force can be bought?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Mmmm...so backtracking. So what was the point of your post then, just randomly defame the RTP?

Im never going to quarrel that there are individual officers EVERYWHERE in the world who can be bought, but you are saying that the entire force can be bought?

Backtracking...no.  Mindful of someone trying to bait, and possibly cause real trouble, with real lurking Thai authorities....

Here's one for ya: how far would 3-4 million baht go, if funneled through the appropriate channels, to get you out of a bind? 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Backtracking...no.  Mindful of someone trying to bait, and possibly cause real trouble, with real lurking Thai authorities....

Here's one for ya: how far would 3-4 million baht go, if funneled through the appropriate channels, to get you out of a bind? 

3-4 million of national currency everywhere helps. 

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

Trolling or head in sand?

Bait no. Trolling no. Maybe just tired of seeing silly comments as under discussion. My head is up out of the sand thank you, I realize that one can slip a purple to escape a traffic citation when the rent is due, depending on where one is, but we are talking something different here. A little much dont you think? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Trolling or head in sand?

Amazing what the fella comes up with in his various incarnations..

I thought he waS supposed to be at the Menin Gate..

Yet he ha been unable to post a single photo of his astonishing and amazing sojourn in Thailand-or anywhere else for that matter...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

How did they ID them both so quickly, they were wearing masks.

Would be interesting to know that yes, both wearing face masks & very little CCTV footage to go on !

It would make better reading than the two other posties swinging handbags at each other !!

36 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

A little much?

Lets take a highly publicised case: the Red Bull "accident".

Drive over a police officer, killing him, while allegedly under the influence and runs off abroad.

Police do "their best" to catch him, but unfortunately they have trouble translating a document to get him on the interpol watch list, don't know his exact address in London to get him arrested (reporters were able to find the address) and now, almost 7 years later, nothing has been done. 

How is it possible that this extremely rich and "famous" kid is able to escape justice for so long after the evidence seems so obvious?

Do you think his wealth has something to do with it?

I dont rightly know, extreme wealth buys a lot without even paying. Every country has its miscarriage of justice. How does that justify impugning and defaming the RTP in general?

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Defame the RTP. 555555

They don't need outside assistance with the only thing they can do themselves more than adequately

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

So this is news to me, you are saying in Thailand, its possible to rob a multinational corporation or bank with a firearm, then give the police 1/2 of the proceeds to avoid prosecution?

In other words, you are saying that members of the Thai Police are accessories to violent criminality for money?

When people go into the default “I’m better than Thais” or “I know How Thailand works” mode they ironically forget to apply reason to what they are saying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

No.  He's not saying it, but I will.  :cheesy:

Saw this on telly. Yep! The armed guard ran away. Was actualy in a position behind the van to draw his gun. As for the BIB shooting one of them dead the well who knows. There sure seems to be some money missing though. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It happens everywhere in the world and yes he got what he deserves if you shot after police 

Respect law and order 

Ahhh! Always love to see someone who believes what they read. Respect law and order.......in Thailand:cheesy:

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

A little much?

Lets take a highly publicised case: the Red Bull "accident".

Drive over a police officer, killing him, while allegedly under the influence and runs off abroad.

Police do "their best" to catch him, but unfortunately they have trouble translating a document to get him on the interpol watch list, don't know his exact address in London to get him arrested (reporters were able to find the address) and now, almost 7 years later, nothing has been done. 

How is it possible that this extremely rich and "famous" kid is able to escape justice for so long after the evidence seems so obvious?

Do you think his wealth has something to do with it?

It seems, according to some here, the entire RTP are some kind of mafia gang.

If that is the case why is the red bull case brought up as nauseum?

So, Bob, was the copper run over a good guy, or bad?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tracker1 said:

The pickup with the bullet holes in the side windows I take was the vehicle the police were in ????

Yes, but ...the bullet holes are actually from the cops, returning fire from inside the car! ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, shy coconut said:

In most countries, cops will go to pretty much any extent to capture a rat cop killer ...serious money must have been paid/is being paid to keep this vermin free.

Good guy or bad, his gang turned their back on him, baht is god.

12 hours ago, shy coconut said:

You seemed to have missed the point. The question is not if the copper run over is a good guy or a bad one, the question is why there has been so little progress made in capturing the killer. It doesnt matter if the cop was good or bad, murder is murder no matter the qualities of the person killed.

And yes, I would say the entire RTP is some kind of mafia gang.

Main reason is that they SELL positions. If you want to get promoted you need to pay for that spot. This has been mentioned in newspaper articles before and has been named as one of the things politians and the RTP wants to change.

Now what is the problem with buying a position?

The issue is that salaries are not high for cops, but the prices for high positions are.

So how could they justify buying a higher position? Only possibility is by having sideline earnings.

It wasn't too long ago a big brothel was busted and they found lists of cops that got payouts on a monthly basis.

Go to any shady business owner in Thailand, be it a foreigner or a Thai, and ask them if they make monthly payments to the RTP (thats includes bar owners). 

There are hundreds of examples you can find of this in the press. Another example: the phone scammers operating in Thailand. Dig a bit deeper and you can even find the amounts they paid every month and how the transactions took place (millions of baht payoff to the RTP).

Next is to take a look at high police (and army) generals entering politics.

Did you ever notice they are all millionaires?

How many top policemen are millionaires in your country?

How do you think they made so much money on such a small salary?

11 hours ago, Benroon said:

So are you saying there is a country someone that doesn’t have a single corrupt officer ? 

How did you come to that conclusion?

No matter how i read my posts, i truely cannot come to that conclusion.

11 hours ago, Benroon said:

Name one more or are you going to be dining on this one for the next 7 years ? 

Name one more ultra-rich kid that killed a cop in his Ferrari?

Why you need 2 examples of ultra-rich kids driving over police officers while under the influence and fleeing the country to make it a valid point? If there was a second case, would you ask for a third example?