Im thinking Ayyuthaya

Nyezhov

The Riverside hotel has nice rooms, parking with security, pool, piano lounge, karaoke rooms (legit)....

A variety of room choices....Easy location once you find it the first time....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

The Riverside hotel has nice rooms, parking with security, pool, piano lounge, karaoke rooms (legit)....

A variety of room choices....Easy location once you find it the first time....

Also has a reasonable floating restaurant.

Finding it the first time is a challenge unless you know to turn left under the bridge to get there (if coming from Bangkok).  Following signs to the railway station helps.

11 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Wife and I are planning  a couple night visit to Ayuthaya.    Any recommendations for a centrally located hotel, not more then B2000 p/n that has car parking available?

Grand Hotel

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 8:26 AM, Nyezhov said:

LOL dude what about getting around, food, places to stay in the old city long term. etc

I can find all the coochie I need anywhere in the world I have finely attuned Hodar

I told ya, Mae Phim. Just got back from 2 day road trip. Took a ride out to Laem Son first day, shit beach but the warship is interesting. Today took a wander on the coast road towards Chantaburi, couple of niceish beaches, loads of litter, good resorts beachfront. Great seafood from motocy grill. They set up a spot beachfront and put mats and low tables down. Going there next time instead of Laem Mae Phim. No farangs apart from me. Plus good spot for fishing off the jetties.

30 minutes ago, grollies said:

I told ya, Mae Phim. Just got back from 2 day road trip. Took a ride out to Laem Son first day, shit beach but the warship is interesting. Today took a wander on the coast road towards Chantaburi, couple of niceish beaches, loads of litter, good resorts beachfront. Great seafood from motocy grill. They set up a spot beachfront and put mats and low tables down. Going there next time instead of Laem Mae Phim. No farangs apart from me. Plus good spot for fishing off the jetties.

Koh Chang baby. Found the spot.

Once stayed in Ayudhaya for three nights.

I was probably unlucky but found the worst food I had tried anywhere in Thailand.

That's 9 meals and the run away best was McDonalds , where I met a Canadian who had been there 5 days and said the same.

Doubtless there are good restaurants there but the night market offerings are not as good as elsewhere.

My hotel overlooking the moat was interesting. Thought it would be cool to overlook the most. Bad move. Noisy boats all night and little ants that found my testicles as enthralling as any major shopping mall.

Bad memories. But the ruins are nice. Might compensate for the short comings if only for a week.

However, if night life is not an issue then as I have often said , Bognor Regis is very nice for a short stay.

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

My hotel overlooking the moat was interesting

Are you sure you were in Ayutthaya? There's no moat there.  Perhaps you're confusing it with Chiang Mai?

And "noisy boats all night" makes no sense in the context of Ayutthaya.  The (admittedly noisy and antisocial) long tail boats stop at sunset.

20181107_190720.thumb.jpg.ec8f643cd7aa5b936b6a5b473abb2828.jpg

On 3/4/2019 at 2:14 PM, Nyezhov said:

Anyone here spent a whole bunch of time there?

the Ayutthaya Grand Hotel is boom boom central.

https://goo.gl/maps/jEBgk3P5NHE2

view out the window of red light area. 

20181107_170850.thumb.jpg.be063beddf72818f0c2f844d9c1a9f5b.jpg

mostly catering to Japanese workers from near by factories.

20181107_201921.thumb.jpg.456a4d28a3c54cdd9b21622ca09cf388.jpg

excellent Japanese restaurants with huge selection of Saki

20181107_193034.thumb.jpg.3647fc7cf561fce65a3e2bdbb22af299.jpg

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Are you sure you were in Ayutthaya? There's no moat there.  Perhaps you're confusing it with Chiang Mai?

And "noisy boats all night" makes no sense in the context of Ayutthaya.  The (admittedly noisy and antisocial) long tail boats stop at sunset.

Well, I called it a moat because it is a waterway all around the old city although technically it is  the Pasak river which makes up the eastern part of the 'moat '

And yes.....I was surprised at the nocturnal river traffic. Great big fully laden rice barges , sometimes single, sometimes towing, all of them fully laden and low in the water.

If it had been day time I might have found this interesting , to see the old waterways still in use. As it was ,between them and the ants I got no sleep.

To be fair this was about 28 years ago so might be different now.

9 hours ago, Denim said:

If it had been day time I might have found this interesting , to see the old waterways still in use. As it was ,between them and the ants I got no sleep. 

To be fair this was about 28 years ago so might be different now. 

yes, those ants are dead now.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

You go late when the buses have left.

yes. i did start going around 3pm. i think you might run out of things to do in Ayutthaya. have you been to Kanchanaburi? nice at the river. and west towards the border.   

nice night food court in Ayutthaya very near the Grand Hotel:

20181107_203433.jpg

Lived there year and a half 6 years ago working in the centre old city.Pretty quiet and boring other than the many stray dogs ! Knew of many who got bitten, I would not go out far at night and then only with a thick piece of wood prepared to scare off aggressive packs ! And the other negative is heat ! It’s sub central Thailand and at sea level, no breeze and stifling heat from April to June !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 11:54 AM, pgrahmm said:

Just read the Tripadvisor reviews for Ayothaya Riverside (assuming this is the hotel the previous poster meant).

I'd suggest anyone considering staying there do the same.

10 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Just read the Tripadvisor reviews for Ayothaya Riverside (assuming this is the hotel the previous poster meant).

I'd suggest anyone considering staying there do the same.

That's thought provoking....We've been there a few times & it was always pleasant....Matter of fact it was a hotel dot com type website's reviews that made it favorable.....

I've never quite found trip advisor very reliable; but usually cross check a few sites....

It's possible the place has changed = it's been a couple of years since we stayed there....

On 3/7/2019 at 6:14 PM, wreckingcountry said:

Lived there year and a half 6 years ago working in the centre old city.Pretty quiet and boring other than the many stray dogs ! Knew of many who got bitten, I would not go out far at night and then only with a thick piece of wood prepared to scare off aggressive packs ! And the other negative is heat ! It’s sub central Thailand and at sea level, no breeze and stifling heat from April to June !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

yeah, I live next door in south Suphanburi and the heat can be miserable with little or no breeze...

one thing to consider is that during the flood season the excess from the Chao Phraya river gets diverted to the local farmland in the interest of saving BKK downstream from the associated unpleasantness...even with the water diversion a lot of muang Ayudtthaya near the river is inundated, roads are impassable, etc...we get a lot of the runoff in the farmland near where we live and we're a considerable distance from the river...lots of tributaries and big canals in that area, flat as a pancake...

• Like 1

yeah, I live next door in south Suphanburi and the heat can be miserable with little or no breeze...

one thing to consider is that during the flood season the excess from the Chao Phraya river gets diverted to the local farmland in the interest of saving BKK downstream from the associated unpleasantness...even with the water diversion a lot of muang Ayudtthaya near the river is inundated, roads are impassable, etc...we get a lot of the runoff in the farmland near where we live and we're a considerable distance from the river...lots of tributaries and big canals in that area, flat as a pancake...

Yes the biggest outdoor sauna in Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1