And another issue at airport : w re-entry retirement legit visa

11 minutes ago, elcaro said:

So many red flags in his thought process. I think the IO is on to something and this frenchman is doing something shady.

So many new posters with cultural revolution type thinking. Don't turn in your own parents. 

• Like 1

Another jealous female immigration officer...who maybe said "oyeee oyeee....falang give moneey to another hot, young, cute busty thai ladiiieee and no to me"...or some s*hit of the sort....remember you are the golden goose and they get jealous...

• Like 1

Haven't read the 11 pages so don't know if anyone has mentioned the fact that once again it comes from visa/extension terminology.

Passenger has an extension and re-entry permit based on an old, expired by this time visa, but calls everything a 'visa' so landing card says visa number and that gets written because they talk about 'extended my visa' all the time.

Maybe it's the 10th time that day and the IO is getting a little bit jaded with it.

Passenger doesn't understand and gets a bit ratty so the IO stamps 30 days just to get rid of them and let them sort it out.

Not saying it's right, just the way things are.

As my old Greek mate used to say 'its a too much enough, nobody is inflammable'

????

21 hours ago, balo said:

I have a problem to believe this story . If you really have a normal 1 year visa based on retirement and a valid re-entry , immigration should not ask you any questions. I would call Big Joke directly if this had happened to me.

Well you would looking through rose-coloured specs. Try the non-tinted ones.

Edited by jesimps
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

actually, the  most impolite and miserable Immigration officials I have ever had the misfortune to interact with have been in US Airports. Thai's don't come close.  

Absolutely nothing to do with the the thread in hand. I'm sure you'll find one about nasty US IOs somewhere, or are you just trying to justify this IOs actions?

15 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

That actually is the biggest point of the OP that I don't understand. Since when have immigration at entry/exit points asked for bank details? As far as I'm aware there is no stipulation that anyone has to carry a bank book with them.

As this is an extension of stay based on retirement, even asking for proof of funds, 10 or 20K baht, (apparently possible) is highly unlikely. If this was the case then only cash would be accepted as has been detailed in so many threads on here.

What you say is correct.

Is it possible (I think it is) that there are internal conversations between Immigration Officers about how foreigners are skirting the system by using agents or untrue affidavits to gain extensions without the correct finances and those staff having the conversations are indignant at the cheating foreigners? And that indignation has spilled over into action and affected the questioning of the OP at Don Meuang? And the indignant IO would like to refuse entry to one of those cheating foreigners?

Of course, if my theory is true, the IO's are missing the point because the whole system exists and was designed to allow corrupt, undeclared payments to officials and was not designed by the "cheating foreigners".

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

There does seem to be things experienced at ports of entry which I have never experienced in over thirty years of visiting, the last thirteen or so using Retirements extensions. Obviously from a practical point of view with a re-entry permit you can not be refused entry, neither do you need to prove funds because you have a stamp attesting to the fact that your situation has been scrutinised at a much higher level than port of entry. Visas obtained from embassies other than one’s own country might be fair game but should not be. If people are being refused then a radical change has taken place.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You have to get away from this 'right of entry' no matter you have or not in your passport, a visa, re-entry permit, extension etc. The only 'right' here as in any country, is the 'right' an immigration officer has to deny entry under a whole list of options should you not be able to comply 'There and then'. I am not saying it's right or wrong BUT that is the reality of the situation.

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You have to get away from this 'right of entry' no matter you have or not in your passport, a visa, re-entry permit, extension etc. The only 'right' here as in any country, is the 'right' an immigration officer has to deny entry under a whole list of options should you not be able to comply 'There and then'. I am not saying it's right or wrong BUT that is the reality of the situation.

Absolutely agree .....  folks need to get of the " I have a visa so I have the right " to be allowed to enter your country.

Entry is at the discretion of the government and the Immigration Officer. 

As you indicated ... it may not be right or wrong, but it's the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

So many new posters with cultural revolution type thinking. Don't turn in your own parents. 

New poster but check age of account my mate.

Lived here for over 8 years, speak read and write Thai. Ask any of the seniors how much that helps to understand the culture.

But yeah you remind me why I didnt post in the first place.

Edited by elcaro

34 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Absolutely nothing to do with the the thread in hand. I'm sure you'll find one about nasty US IOs somewhere, or are you just trying to justify this IOs actions?

It was an observation, I am no apologist for IOs the world over. They have a difficult and stressful job, they just need to apply the rules with some measure of common humanity.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

actually, the  most impolite and miserable Immigration officials I have ever had the misfortune to interact with have been in US Airports. Thai's don't come close.  

I been flying back to the US once or twice a year for twelve years. Been through customs/immigration in Detroit, Chicago and Minneapolis. I never had a problem or had a bad experience with any official. Always treated well and always was told welcome back.

Just now, TPUBON said:

I been flying back to the US once or twice a year for twelve years. Been through customs/immigration in Detroit, Chicago and Minneapolis. I never had a problem or had a bad experience with any official. Always treated well and always was told welcome back.

It was my observation on my travels to the US, others will have different experiences I'm sure. Are you American by chance? 

4 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Most of the immigration officers are miseries and make that clear by the way they talk to you!

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Try and enter the US as an outsider and see how the immigration officer communicates.

Maybe the thai immigration should offer a bunch of flowers or fruit to every farang that enters. ????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, glegolo said:

To my knowledge you should have written down your re-entry number on the TM6 (departure-card) NOT the VISA number.....

glegolo

That is what I do all the time:

I write <re-entry> and the number.

Immigration officer  always happy.

22 hours ago, Sambotte said:

And good luck to get your money out of bank if your are denied entry...

Here is a back up plan.......... I have online banking with Kasikorn (I think all banks have it)...... If this happened to you... you could do online transfers......(while outside Thailand).... I'm not sure about doing international transfers online but very possible..... I use my Kasikorn online from my home (must have WiFi) in the USA and transfer money several times a week to different folks in Thailand (500 b here and there to some ladies and up to 50,000 b to some family).... ALL while I'm in the USA.... I can also 'Top-up' any Thai cellphone (20b to 200b) from my online banking on my cellphone........

So.... With that in mind... (and I think everybody would LOVE this, as I do)... as I quoted from the OP should be easy to remedy if you were denied entry and had money in the bank you could transfer it to others who could transfer it out for you....

I have a retirement Visa good till Sept. 2019, but iI livee in the USA and just spend about half my time in Thailand..... I keep 100,000 to 300,000 in my bank at any given time (even it not required of me) (Yet)..... 'I will never" put 800,000b in Thailand for them to 'fatten' their 'happy face' with (and cost me horribly in 'exchange rates')..........

I can easily cut my visits back to 'occasional' within the time frame allowed for tourists.......

My main contribution here is the info about the 'Online Banking'....... I have been in and out of Thailand nearly 40 years, and just last year discovered this 'online banking' convenience.........................

Thailand is my 'FAVORITE CHARITY'.... ISSAN especially (NOT the present Gov't) and I can make contributions to my 'Poor Friends' even whil I am in the USA....... I have adopted a few Issan families, and often visit them, and small amounts of money that don't hurt me can make a nice improvement to their daily/monthly menu........

35 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It was my observation on my travels to the US, others will have different experiences I'm sure. Are you American by chance? 

Why else would 'Immigrations' offer......... Welcome back???????

1 minute ago, sawadeeken said:

Here is a back up plan.......... I have online banking with Kasikorn (I think all banks have it)...... If this happened to you... you could do online transfers......(while outside Thailand).... I'm not sure about doing international transfers online but very possible..... I use my Kasikorn online from my home (must have WiFi) in the USA and transfer money several times a week to different folks in Thailand (500 b here and there to some ladies and up to 50,000 b to some family).... ALL while I'm in the USA.... I can also 'Top-up' any Thai cellphone (20b to 200b) from my online banking on my cellphone........

So.... With that in mind... (and I think everybody would LOVE this, as I do)... as I quoted from the OP should be easy to remedy if you were denied entry and had money in the bank you could transfer it to others who could transfer it out for you....

I have a retirement Visa good till Sept. 2019, but iI livee in the USA and just spend about half my time in Thailand..... I keep 100,000 to 300,000 in my bank at any given time (even it not required of me) (Yet)..... 'I will never" put 800,000b in Thailand for them to 'fatten' their 'happy face' with (and cost me horribly in 'exchange rates')..........

I can easily cut my visits back to 'occasional' within the time frame allowed for tourists.......

My main contribution here is the info about the 'Online Banking'....... I have been in and out of Thailand nearly 40 years, and just last year discovered this 'online banking' convenience.........................

Thailand is my 'FAVORITE CHARITY'.... ISSAN especially (NOT the present Gov't) and I can make contributions to my 'Poor Friends' even whil I am in the USA....... I have adopted a few Issan families, and often visit them, and small amounts of money that don't hurt me can make a nice improvement to their daily/monthly menu........

Very few banks, if any in Thailand will allow online banking for International transfers out of Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sawadeeken said:

Why else would 'Immigrations' offer......... Welcome back???????

maybe because you travel to the US a lot.  It doesn't necessarily mean you are American now does it?   

7 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Very few banks, if any in Thailand will allow online banking for International transfers out of Thailand.

The easiest solution seems to be to set up a Dee Money account for this. 

Alternatively, set up a a Thai cryptocoin-market as a payment-recipient, and another cryptocoin-account connected to one's foreign-bank.  This way, one can buy bitcoin from the Thai account then sell them immediately into a foreign-account.  This can all be done online, provided the Thai payee is set up on the Thai account while in Thailand, so the SMS confirmation steps (involved in setting up a new payee) are doable.

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Only requited for Tourist VISA holders.

Fail. ANYBODY can be asked at any entry point at any time. You haven't got it, they can deny entry.

By law, anyone on any visa can be asked to show 20K Baht.  Reports to date indicate this has only happened, very briefly, at the Sadao entry-point, when they were b***-hurt about their "money in passport" scam being shut down.  No reports yet of the Bangkok airports or even Poipet asking for the money from non-Tourists.  I use a Non-O-ME, but I still have my travelers checks with - just in case.

Hmm. 12 pages of comments and no one seems to have mentioned the most obvious reason why one official working alone would ask irrelevant and pointless questions of someone with a valid extension of stay, and generally make their life difficult for a long time.

She was probably just hoping for some cash to ease the OP's passage. I know plenty of people who would have handed something over within a couple of minutes.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

maybe because you travel to the US a lot.  It doesn't necessarily mean you are American now does it?   

YOU ARE RIGHT ALSO......... But as an American I am welcomed with that 'Welcome Back' often.......... I suppose some Thai/Russian/Nigerian/Turk/Chinese/Bangladeshi could be greeted similarly......... Percentage-wise???? I think not so likely...... BUT ..... YES....... IT'S POSSIBLE..... As you say........